CAGLS: Madden 25 Fan's League! Season 3 Complete! Jets Win! Thanks Everybody!

I thought you were trying to figure out a way were people could play as their favorite teams, not overhaul the rosters, and not just choose the best team available. So I was trying to explain that statistically there is a very good chance that some people's favorite teams are not the ones they chose and the only way to make the league even is to have a fantasy draft. Then people could be their favorite teams without having to worry if the team sucks or not. You as the commish wouldn't have to worry about people choosing a team strictly for talent because the talent would be drafted. I was trying to be helpful, but I guess it wasn't taken that way. I kind of suck at this game right now so maybe I should practice before joining a league anyway. Thanks and good luck. I'll check back if the Redskins become available.
Ok...well, if that's what you're "trying to explain", then I can tell you for certain you're way off. Most of the people in this league have been on CAG and/or have known each other for years. 17 of the people in this league right now, I can guarantee you are playing as their favorite team in real life. 4 people were willing to take randomly assigned teams because their favorite team was already claimed.

That leaves one person who could be "pulling our leg" about his loyalty (Panoramic15). Sure, he could be lying about being a Pats fan and just want them because they're a good team. But 1. He'd be pathetic for feeling the need to do that in a video game football league. And 2. He now has a history of being a Pats fan. Any information that would dispute that would be grounds for being banned from the league. But just a quick search yielded this:

http://www.justin.tv/panoramic15/b/317706121

Is it him? Is it just a coincidence? I don't know. But it's better than tossing baseless accusations around.

Also, if you think one of my goals is to not overhaul the rosters, how would doing a fantasy draft help that? I feel like people keep getting hung up on this. I'm not disputing at all that doing a fantasy draft SHOULD be the best way to have balanced rosters (though others have pointed out that people who draft "for Madden" in terms of speed and the other "money attributes" would have an advantage anyway), it would take away from the realism for people just wanting to play as their favorite teams.

Many of these people haven't been concerned with how good their team is to begin with. The past few years we've had people CHOOSE to play as the Browns, Rams, Bills, etc. because they were fans of those teams. Even I'm an example of this choosing to play as the Titans. So, doing a fantasy roster might make things more "balanced", but it also reduces the interest of people who want to see their actual team on the field. I'm telling you, all of these things were considered, man. I'm not saying the system is perfect. But I was tired of just sticking with the status quo.

Last edited by a moderator:
And just for the record, I did a random lottery for Mile High Von and njrockpd. This is what came up. As I've said before, you guys completely have the right to opt out and there will be no hard feelings. This is just the way we're doing things this year.

lotterymilehighvonnjrockpd_zpsfa6299c6.jpg

Mile High Von - Cleveland Browns

njrockpd - Kansas City Chiefs

Ok...well, if that's what you're "trying to explain", then I can tell you for certain you're way off. Most of the people in this league have been on CAG and/or have known each other for years. 17 of the people in this league right now, I can guarantee you are playing as their favorite team in real life. 4 people were willing to take randomly assigned teams because their favorite team was already claimed.

That leaves one person who could be "pulling our leg" about his loyalty (Panoramic15). Sure, he could be lying about being a Pats fan and just want them because they're a good team. But 1. He'd be pathetic for feeling the need to do that in a video game football league. And 2. He now has a history of being a Pats fan. Any information that would dispute that would be grounds for being banned from the league. But just a quick search yielded this:

http://www.justin.tv/panoramic15/b/317706121

Is it him? Is it just a coincidence? I don't know. But it's better than tossing baseless accusations around.

Also, if you think one of my goals is to not overhaul the rosters, how would doing a fantasy draft help that? I feel like people keep getting hung up on this. I'm not disputing at all that doing a fantasy draft SHOULD be the best way to have balanced rosters (though others have pointed out that people who draft "for Madden" in terms of speed and the other "money attributes" would have an advantage anyway), it would take away from the realism for people just wanting to play as their favorite teams.

Many of these people haven't been concerned with how good their team is to begin with. The past few years we've had people CHOOSE to play as the Browns, Rams, Bills, etc. because they were fans of those teams. Even I'm an example of this choosing to play as the Titans. So, doing a fantasy roster might make things more "balanced", but it also reduces the interest of people who want to see their actual team on the field. I'm telling you, all of these things were considered, man. I'm not saying the system is perfect. But I was tired of just sticking with the status quo.

Again this is all perfectly fine. I appreciate you organizing the league and the obvious amount of time you put into it. I was really trying to be helpful and attempting to alleviate the problems I perceived you to be having. I obviously perceived incorrectly. When I originally asked to join I gave three teams as options because I wanted to make it clear I didn't care who I was.

Again this is all perfectly fine. I appreciate you organizing the league and the obvious amount of time you put into it. I was really trying to be helpful and attempting to alleviate the problems I perceived you to be having. I obviously perceived incorrectly. When I originally asked to join I gave three teams as options because I wanted to make it clear I didn't care who I was.
Ok. No idea if we're on the same page or not, but it doesn't matter. The random generator gave you the Chiefs. Do you want them?

Thanks for hearing me out commish.

As far as random teams goes, that is fine by me. I do ask though that I be given any team that is not in the AFC West since I am a hardcore Broncos fan I really hate the Raiders, Chargers and Chiefs. Also I played with the Browns last year so I would like to try out a new challenge all together. Would that be possible?  Perhaps any NFC Team?

Thanks for hearing me out commish.

As far as random teams goes, that is fine by me. I do ask though that I be given any team that is not in the AFC West since I am a hardcore Broncos fan I really hate the Raiders, Chargers and Chiefs. Also I played with the Browns last year so I would like to try out a new challenge all together. Would that be possible? Perhaps any NFC Team?
A couple posts up he had your random selection listed and you got the Cleveland Browns.

I was playing against the cowboys last night, and they put Dez Bryant in the backfield, and this was not the preseason. Jim Nantz even pointed it out saying something similar to "Dez Bryant in the backfield instead of his normal receiver position."

I'm rolling with the Texans as assigned. They have some decent people, but I hate Schaub with a passion. If the Eagles owner drops out, I'll try to earn that team. I rather lose with my favorite team than win with a team I don't care at all for.

Right now, I'm playing my son daily with the Texans to learn how to use them. TJ Yates plays better for me than Schaub. I really hope we play on All Madden.

I'm rolling with the Texans as assigned. They have some decent people, but I hate Schaub with a passion. If the Eagles owner drops out, I'll try to earn that team. I rather lose with my favorite team than win with a team I don't care at all for.

Right now, I'm playing my son daily with the Texans to learn how to use them. TJ Yates plays better for me than Schaub. I really hope we play on All Madden.
I'm sure you'll find someone who wants to trade for schaub if last year was any indication of trade activity.

Though with favorite teams it won't be as active.

Maybe.

WTF? So in my fantasy draft franchise that I did, I see in the news during the 2nd week of pre-season that the Oakland Raiders were getting relocated to Mexico City.  So I decided to try the relocation route with the my team (Jacksonville, since they have always been my 2nd team).  The choices they give you were plentiful, and some of them also made you scratch your head.  Some of them that I can remember were: London (somewhat expected that since they are playing at least 1 game a year there the next few seasons), Portland, Memphis, Orlando, Los Angeles, Chicago, Houston, Brooklyn, Oklahoma City, Sacremento, San Antonio, Toronto, and a bunch of others (Austin I think was one).

I assume we are leaving ball hawking and heat seeking turned on as a benefit to the defense since the game has become more geared towards offensive firepower?

I assume we are leaving ball hawking and heat seeking turned on as a benefit to the defense since the game has become more geared towards offensive firepower?
Well, I'd probably say yes, but my understanding was that these were individual options anyway (sort of like auto-strafe, auto-sprint). Am I wrong on that?

Well, I'd probably say yes, but my understanding was that these were individual options anyway (sort of like auto-strafe, auto-sprint). Am I wrong on that?
When I started an offline career it gave me the option to turn them both off alongside settings that would effect everyone like length of quarter before starting the career. I'm guessing the commissioner could disable it for everyone but someone else may know more.

Well, after posting and venting and resigning myself to the reality that it's the Jets or the highway, I guess I'll make a go of it with the Jets. Thanks for indulging me. :)

I already have the game, but my (younger) son tells me that there is a button problem with one of the controllers and the charging cable is flaky. Once I resolve those issues, I'll look at the team.

Hey guys, I played with the Steelers in the the Gentlemen's League; however, I had to drop out after that first season because I became too busy with school and work. If possible, I'd like to join the fan league for Madden 25 with the Steelers. Thanks!

When I started an offline career it gave me the option to turn them both off alongside settings that would effect everyone like length of quarter before starting the career. I'm guessing the commissioner could disable it for everyone but someone else may know more.
I haven't had a chance to mess around with online franchise yet this year, but I remember last year it was confusing because there were options for the commissioner to basically just choose the default setting for that could still be changed by each individual. I know auto-strafe and auto-sprint were two of those settings...and I thought I read that ballhawk and heat seeker are like that too. Either way, yeah, I think we should have them on just to help out defenses as much as possible. If people are still routinely putting up 60 points with those on, I can't imagne what would happen if they were even more confident in airing the ball out.

Well, after posting and venting and resigning myself to the reality that it's the Jets or the highway, I guess I'll make a go of it with the Jets. Thanks for indulging me. :)

I already have the game, but my (younger) son tells me that there is a button problem with one of the controllers and the charging cable is flaky. Once I resolve those issues, I'll look at the team.
Glad you've decided to stick around. Like I said, it wasn't anything personal. Just the way things shook out. As you can see, plenty of other people are running into the same thing. And they are all being dealt with the same way. Random means random.

Hey guys, I played with the Steelers in the the Gentlemen's League; however, I had to drop out after that first season because I became too busy with school and work. If possible, I'd like to join the fan league for Madden 25 with the Steelers. Thanks!
I'm trying to remember, are you a Steelers fan?

The OP is now also up to date with njrockpd and HooRox penciled in as their assigned teams. Sorry for the delay there. I had a pretty busy holiday weekend with family visiting from out of state.

And if it hasn't been clarified enough, the only way Mile High Von would be allowed to play in this league is if he takes his randomly assigned team (Cleveland Browns). He is completely within his rights to turn them down though.

I think I've brought this idea up before too, but with more and more people taking assigned teams, I think it's both fair and reasonable to have a policy that if anyone vacates their team, it is subject to being taken by another fan of that team. I am even strongly considering allowing team switching mid franchise if these situations come up (ie. if Matt Young decides to leave the Packers, HooRox would be allowed to change from the Jets to the Packers...and the Packers would be his team going forward into the future).

It might also be reasonable to stipulate that the assigned team that a person is vacating is not in financial ruins though. I can definitely recognize that some teams need to be completely rebuilt...but we should never see a situation like we saw last year with the Panthers and -$4M of cap space. Just some ideas to help motivate people on both sides of the coin to put time and effort into their teams.

I think I've brought this idea up before too, but with more and more people taking assigned teams, I think it's both fair and reasonable to have a policy that if anyone vacates their team, it is subject to being taken by another fan of that team. I am even strongly considering allowing team switching mid franchise if these situations come up (ie. if Matt Young decides to leave the Packers, HooRox would be allowed to change from the Jets to the Packers...and the Packers would be his team going forward into the future).
Well than let it be known I am a Washington Redskins fan if for whatever reason JoelyPoley decides to leave the league.

Well than let it be known I am a Washington Redskins fan if for whatever reason JoelyPoley decides to leave the league.
You've got another Skins fan ahead of you anyway. bfauble83 took a random team first...and he ended up with the Giants, haha. It's kinda funny that this league seems to be comprised of a lot of Redskins and Cowboys fans. I've been keeping a notepad file with everyone's favorite team though, just so we don't run into any issues down the road.

You've got another Skins fan ahead of you anyway. bfauble83 took a random team first...and he ended up with the Giants, haha. It's kinda funny that this league seems to be comprised of a lot of Redskins and Cowboys fans. I've been keeping a notepad file with everyone's favorite team though, just so we don't run into any issues down the road.
Sounds fair to me.

N8, I just want to point out that this year the commish can clear cap penalties. So if you do have someone switching teams with a negative cap situation, you can have them cut the big/bad contracts and then clear their cap penalties. It's not the best solution, but it's at least something.

EDIT: Also just wanted to point out, just because it seems like you may have some cpu spots in the league, that if someone plays the CPU in week 1 of the first preseason, the CPU signs some of the free agents. I'd suggest on having everyone hold off on playing their week 1 game to stop the CPU from signing the free agents.

I can't see myself leaving the league for any reason, so I'm just going to hope HooRox doesn't attack me in a parking lot and break my arm, or something crazy like that.

N8, I just want to point out that this year the commish can clear cap penalties. So if you do have someone switching teams with a negative cap situation, you can have them cut the big/bad contracts and then clear their cap penalties. It's not the best solution, but it's at least something.

EDIT: Also just wanted to point out, just because it seems like you may have some cpu spots in the league, that if someone plays the CPU in week 1 of the first preseason, the CPU signs some of the free agents. I'd suggest on having everyone hold off on playing their week 1 game to stop the CPU from signing the free agents.
That's interesting, but I still like the idea of people taking care of their team if they expect to be granted permission to switch to a new one.

And yeah, with CPU teams, I think we'll definitely need to get any major free agent signings out of the way before we play any games. It might even be worthwhile to do 2 rounds of free agency.

I can't see myself leaving the league for any reason, so I'm just going to hope HooRox doesn't attack me in a parking lot and break my arm, or something crazy like that.
Haha, kinda what I figured...and is what I expect from most people. I just think it's worth having a policy to keep people motivated to stick around and to let people with assigned teams know that they aren't completely stuck. Should things open up, there are options.

That's interesting, but I still like the idea of people taking care of their team if they expect to be granted permission to switch to a new one.

And yeah, with CPU teams, I think we'll definitely need to get any major free agent signings out of the way before we play any games. It might even be worthwhile to do 2 rounds of free agency.

Haha, kinda what I figured...and is what I expect from most people. I just think it's worth having a policy to keep people motivated to stick around and to let people with assigned teams know that they aren't completely stuck. Should things open up, there are options.
I think he meant that if people leave the league and leave a team in dire straits, like in the hole a few million, you can erase that. Not the way you were referring to it.

Nah, that's not really who I am. But if you blow up the team and do something wacky like trading Rodgers for Russell Wilson, that would be hard to stomach.

Nah, that's not really who I am. But if you blow up the team and do something wacky like trading Rodgers for Russell Wilson, that would be hard to stomach.
In all the years the official league has been around, I've had the Packers. Over all those years, I have made 2 trades. One was simply getting rid of a draft pick.

I think he meant that if people leave the league and leave a team in dire straits, like in the hole a few million, you can erase that. Not the way you were referring to it.
Ha, definitely was referring to it this way. Obviously, it'd be ridiculous for someone to ruin one teams cap room and then switch to another team.

Whoa...I just saw the CPU audible from a regular kickoff to an onside kick (granted, they were losing 28-3 in the 4th quarter). Is it possible for the receiving team to audible into onside recovery? I kept pressing X and every button combination I could think of, and was only moving my guys up or back. Luckily, I still recovered the ball...but that's certainly a new wrinkle to EA already not informing you that your opponent is setting up for an onside kick.

Whoa...I just saw the CPU audible from a regular kickoff to an onside kick (granted, they were losing 28-3 in the 4th quarter). Is it possible for the receiving team to audible into onside recovery? I kept pressing X and every button combination I could think of, and was only moving my guys up or back. Luckily, I still recovered the ball...but that's certainly a new wrinkle to EA already not informing you that your opponent is setting up for an onside kick.
x+left bumper

Posting this in here too for people who don't follow the official league thread, but watch out for those corner routes. There's a definite glitch with passes being called incomplete. I've had this happen twice in three games.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoL6Vohip9s[/youtube]

Posting this in here too for people who don't follow the official league thread, but watch out for those corner routes. There's a definite glitch with passes being called incomplete. I've had this happen twice in three games.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoL6Vohip9s[/youtube]
I mean technically by the video its incomplete cause the receiver doesn't get his 2nd foot down, but obviously the glitch is that he should of had it down instead of it hovering there. I feel like i've had this happen, just didnt notice it, but now it makes sense

What? That's just the new air walk move.
I just don't know how shit like that doesn't come up in testing. You would think I've been playing the game non-stop for the past week. I've seriously probably played a total of 15 games...mostly MUT...with 3 minute quarters...and accelerated clock. It's not taking a Herculean effort to uncover these things. Run some corner routes, and you'll probably see it within a game or two. This kind of stuff just throws the balance off even more because now people can say "Why should I risk throwing to a receiver on the outside if he might get cheated out of the catch? It makes more sense to run a screen to my RB or an out route with my TE." Really hope they have some kind of patch for this planned already.

Topic for discussion for today, how do we want to handle beginning of franchise free agency? Chetty pointed out that CPU teams will sign players immediately as soon as they play their first pre-season game. And since we've still got a handful of CPU teams, we've either got to get it figured out before any of those games are played, or not care if the CPU takes whatever free agents remain once the roster is updated. The option here would be to do something similar to what the official league is doing and hold off on human free agent signing until a reasonable time when we can determine which teams need the most help (based on record).

Personally, I could go either way. I almost think it would be interesting to just allow the CPU to round out its roster, since many times, those games are less than competitive anyway. Or at least they were on All-Pro...which honestly, I feel like we should leave the difficulty at. I've played on All-Madden several times now, and while it does do some good things, I feel like it does more bad than good (ie. CPU getting breaks for basically no reason).

I know Chetty's league used a point bidding system for free agents, but I agree with the point made in the official league, that it could just allow the really good players to acquire even more top talent (possibly even multiple players), just by arranging their points a particular way. That's not to say that they're not "savvy GMs", but this game can be borderline broken enough as it is. We have to do something to keep it in check. I think a draft style system is still best, as it at least ensures that each team gets a player. Last year, didn't we use a combination of cap space and team OVR to determine the free agent picking order? I feel like that worked pretty well. If you guys want to do something like that again, we can.

Feel free to weigh in on how you would like to do free agency. Just keep in mind that the general idea is being a bit more restrictive with rosters this year (ie. trade cap, contract lengths, etc). How we handle free agency should probably fall in line with that.

Wow, no comments in here today.

EDIT - Annnnnnd...nevermind. Something is going on with this roster update. There are some huge inconsistencies with OVR of players. Of course, some of that can be differences in schemes and whatnot, but this is pretty extreme. I've also noticed depth chart changes that should not be happening and are not reflected in the offline version of this roster. Something just doesn't seem right here.

Well, the new roster is up. It's not perfect, but who knows when the next update will be. I'm going to get the league set up and start sending out invites. You MUST create a new coach when joining the league. If you join with an existing coach, you're going to have to be booted and start over again. Don't screw this up.

Also, this should go without saying, but...

DO NOT SIGN ANY FREE AGENTS OR PLAY ANY PRESEASON GAMES AGAINST CPU OPPONENTS UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO DO SO.

We've still got a few things to figure out, and as I mentioned earlier today, the CPU will go nuts signing free agents once they've played a game. So, let's get this free agency thing figured out first. Honestly, looking at the list of free agents, my gut instinct is to do at least one round of drafting...maybe even just make it totally random (rather than trying to figure out salary caps, team ratings, etc). I'd just hate to see all those guys end up on CPU teams. Again, I'm open to opinions here though.

EDIT - And invites have been sent out to everyone except Flyersfan, KasterDB, and HooRox. Madden informed me that you guys haven't played the game yet. Hope there's no issues there.

Ok, invites have been sent out to everyone except Flyersfan, Kaster, and HooRox because it said you guys haven't logged into Madden 25 yet. Hoping there's no issues there.

I wanted to point out that through 3 preseason weeks in the Owners league, there are 56 players injured. That's with the injury slider bumped down to a 30. 10/56 injured players were set to miss 7 games or more and there were a couple 40+ week injuries.

bread's done
Back