CAGLS: Madden 25 Fan's League! Season 3 Complete! Jets Win! Thanks Everybody!

You traded away Eli Manning, David Wilson, Victor Cruz, and Justin Tuck. Yes that's gutting the current team you had. I would of been screwed if I couldn't trade for Andy Dalton. Kurt Warner was a great pick up for you... Dont get all pissy.
All right, let's not get things too heated in here already...especially about last year's game. I think we all can acknowledge that there were issues in the game itself that created many of these issues in the league. That's the reason we're looking into bringing back old policies or adopting new ones. We should all be looking forward to making a more enjoyable experience this year rather than looking back.

When will I know who my team is?
Um...wrong league?

when will jbake and i know if we r in or out and what teams we get?
Probably not for a few weeks. I mean, I could do it now, but then if a fan of that team comes along, you'd just get booted off that team anyway. If you guys would actually prefer that, I guess we can do it that way. Just seems kind of silly. I can at least tell you that in all likelihood (unless a miracle happens and we fill up with 32 fans), you guys will have a spot...and at this point, it also seems like having teams randomly assigned was the agreed upon method. So, obviously, that would probably reduce your chances of landing the Chiefs.

Last edited by a moderator:
so whats the method of use to assign teams pull teams out of a hat? well i would hope i would have a spot in the league i've been in it since the start of the JV league

so whats the method of use to assign teams pull teams out of a hat? well i would hope i would have a spot in the league i've been in it since the start of the JV league
Probably, yes. Also, I'd be careful being so cavalier about your standing in the league. After the events that transpired last year and your attitude toward getting a new commissioner, creating your own league, etc. it was no guarantee that you'd be allowed back. I'm hoping we don't run into any of those problem this year.

I do like that system, but how would it work now with players being rated differently in different schemes?

Well, what we did before when counting the core player limit was count it against the team getting rid of the player. We could do that same thing for the rating, since for the most part, the player will have the highest rating on his original team (at least starting with default rosters anyway). Just my initial thought on it. I'm up for hearing other opinions as well.

I think Pitfall's question (and the one in my mind as well) is more along the lines of how you would measure players in their actual scheme within a team. Afterall, the ratings for when you look at a team's roster in the regular roster screens were different than if you looked at your own roster with your specific schemes in place. Assuming everyone agrees to just go by the regular roster screens that it should be fine. I also think for the trade cap it should just be one 90+ OVR player per season, I feel like thats easier to track than counting them as two core players, especially since an 88 OVR in one scheme could be a 92 in another, etc.

As for myself, I havent decided yet if I'm getting this at release, but I'd go for the Patriots at this point since they're my favorite team. I actually like using other teams in online modes to broaden my Madden experience (as I always have an offline mode that uses the Pats) but would be fine using the Pats here.

One other thought I had was in regard to depth charts, I think that they should be more closely monitored this year. I know some people liked to put their CB's at FS and SS (part to lessen the TE impact but part to have the ridiculous CB jumping abilities present in every Madden at other positions) and several liked to put higher speed WR's in the slot in their depth chart because of the obvious mismatches it created. I feel like those are cheap options that should be left to the ranked area of online play and not in a relaxed CAG league. Just my thoughts of course.

I think Pitfall's question (and the one in my mind as well) is more along the lines of how you would measure players in their actual scheme within a team. Afterall, the ratings for when you look at a team's roster in the regular roster screens were different than if you looked at your own roster with your specific schemes in place. Assuming everyone agrees to just go by the regular roster screens that it should be fine. I also think for the trade cap it should just be one 90+ OVR player per season, I feel like thats easier to track than counting them as two core players, especially since an 88 OVR in one scheme could be a 92 in another, etc.

As for myself, I havent decided yet if I'm getting this at release, but I'd go for the Patriots at this point since they're my favorite team. I actually like using other teams in online modes to broaden my Madden experience (as I always have an offline mode that uses the Pats) but would be fine using the Pats here.

One other thought I had was in regard to depth charts, I think that they should be more closely monitored this year. I know some people liked to put their CB's at FS and SS (part to lessen the TE impact but part to have the ridiculous CB jumping abilities present in every Madden at other positions) and several liked to put higher speed WR's in the slot in their depth chart because of the obvious mismatches it created. I feel like those are cheap options that should be left to the ranked area of online play and not in a relaxed CAG league. Just my thoughts of course.
Well, the reason for using the core player measurement is that it gives a clearer idea of the value of a superstar. A 90+ player is going to command a high return of either 2 1st round draft picks or 2 80-89 players (in most cases...obviously, if you're trading a 90 player for an 89 player, it wouldn't require another 89 player). But in general, it just gives a guideline for value and different trading scenarios. And we used it in Madden 12 without much issue. The only reason we went away from it last year was in the hope that EA implementing a salary cap would create enough limitations. But I guess we didn't foresee the back-loaded contracts and people offering max year deals to give them more financial flexibility...combined with no bonus contracts which allowed these players to be moved fairly easily.

As for the scheme thing, wasn't there a way to see what the player is rated in other schemes? The problem with using the base roster is it wouldn't account for player progression that takes place in CCM. I don't have the game sitting right in front of me anymore to be able to look things up, but this doesn't seem like a huge issue with no solution. Yeah, maybe what we have is a rough outline...but it's probably good enough for now. We'll figure out more as we go.

Concerning your final paragraph, I agree completely...it's just a matter of having a tangible way to be able to do those things. First of all, before even considering any of that, the game needs to have its own measures for safeguarding against it. I was one of the people who acquired top CBs and put one at FS. Why? Because half the league was raping the field up and down with TEs. I'm not even going to think about imposing limitations on defense until EA shows that it can program a competent defensive game. And the problem with even banning #1 receivers in the slot is that pretty much every playbook has a handful of plays that are like this by design. The reality is, all of these complaints go back to defensive assignments. If that's back in the game, we don't even need to be having this discussion. If it's not, there's really not an answer that's fair to everyone.

Nate, I'd like to return to the league this year. It seems my favorite team (Packers), my wife's team (Cowbows), and my son's team (Kaster's Brncos) are claimed.

Since I don't want any other NFC teams, I wold like one of my favorite AFC teams and my preference would be the Texans.

I wold like one of my favorite AFC teams and my preference would be the Texans.
It seems the issues you want to avoid are people dropping out mid-season and people gutting the team via trades/cuts. I don't think you have to worry about that with me, given that I stuck around with mediocre ability and mediocre Steelers teams for the last two full seasons and I have a tendency not to trade willy-nilly. Let me know how you want to handle my choice of a team I like (Texans) vs. the team I love (Packers). Thanks.

It seems the issues you want to avoid are people dropping out mid-season and people gutting the team via trades/cuts. I don't think you have to worry about that with me, given that I stuck around with mediocre ability and mediocre Steelers teams for the last two full seasons and I have a tendency not to trade willy-nilly. Let me know how you want to handle my choice of a team I like (Texans) vs. the team I love (Packers). Thanks.
I agree. I know I don't have to worry about those things with you. However, I've still gotta keep the same policy for all of our "duplicate fans". The policy that seemed to be the most popular was just randomly distributing teams as sort of a compromise in allowing "non-fan teams" to participate. The idea behind fan teams in the first place was to ensure that people wouldn't be coming in trying to take the best team just because the only thing they care about is winning. If we stray from that too much, it's not going to make any difference.

I'm going to assume that relocating teams is a no-go, correct?
Ha...yeah, that's a hard no. Honestly, I think most of the new "features" EA has added to online franchise are terrible. Custom playbooks and moving teams just scream "fuck the league over bad!!!" I'm pretty much just pretending they don't exist.

i'm so glad both leagues are staying away from though features. something like that could really kill a league fast. plus custom playbooks just lead to tons of cheese. 

All kidding aside, I wish Madden (or any sports game) would bring back the expansion feature.
Yeah, I mean, I think it might be neat to bring back some of the old teams or something. Like move Rams back to Los Angeles or whatever. But if we even thought about doing something like that, we'd have to have so many policies and proposals on it. It would just create one more thing for us to analyze. In a lot of ways, I miss the simplicity that the Madden 12 league had. Doing the practices and manually progressing your players just adds tedium and slows things down.

i'm so glad both leagues are staying away from though features. something like that could really kill a league fast. plus custom playbooks just lead to tons of cheese.
Yup. I can see the 3 TE streak/wildcat/full house/flea flicker/end around/read option offense right now. Has EA said if custom playbooks can be used in ranked games? That would probably be the final nail in the coffin for never playing that mode for me.

i think since ur going the fan route moving teams wouldn't really make sense for the whole fan league style ur going for. one cool idea could be though that what ever team u have u move them to you're hometown. like for example im a cowboys fan so if i would have had them i would move them to KC where I'm living. or if someone was a ravens fan but lived somewhere in like florida they could move them there. but i think moving teams for the most part would be annoying.

as for the custom playbooks in ranked matches i havent heard anything but i also havent really been researching all that much this year. but i think that would be a disaster completely. but custom playbooks in my mind are complete cheese and are used for people exploit the game. but i also consider myself to be a complete sim styled madden player maybe not in the trade aspect of things but in the playing style. i would take a nice fun clean game of madden over having to cheese to win any day. 

Speaking of trades... if the jets owner is trying to trade geno, i'm willign to make a deal. WVU alum needs some WVU on his team :bouncy:

just did some research and came across this it has some rookie ratings anyone interested should give it a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1ID9oBxfW4
That video shows Chance Warmack as an 84. As a rookie, that sounds pretty nice. Warmack + Levitre, in addition to Roos and Stewart (who were in the 90s...but we'll see what EA gives them this year) makes for a pretty stout oline. The real life Titans already saw the benefits of it. CJ broke off a 58 yd TD run last night against the Redskins.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-preseason/0ap2000000227841/Can-t-Miss-Play-CJ2K-58-yard-TD-sprint?campaign=Twitter_videos_cj2k

Crazy push the offensive line got on that play. If he hadn't cut it back, he still probably would have gained 8-10 yards, lol.

I was Chiefs last season but ill take Seattle Seahawks this season if possible.

Seattle is my absolute favorite team, but I would take Tampa Bay as a second resort.

Patriots are. Die hard fan.
I'll put you in as the Patriots for now. We do have a member from last year who is a Patriots fan, but he wasn't sure if he was going to get the game right away. However, if he does, he would have seniority over you.

The other thing, as a new player, I really hope that you read the rules and policies for the league. This league is not the same as the Official Madden League and isn't meant for people who are beasts at Madden. That's not to say we don't have good players. But yeah...once you've played some people in the official league, you'll get what the difference is, lol.

EDIT - Also, we need your XBL gamertag.

I was Chiefs last season but ill take Seattle Seahawks this season if possible.

Seattle is my absolute favorite team, but I would take Tampa Bay as a second resort.
Cool. I was wondering if you were going to get the game or not. Seattle is all yours.

[quote name="CAGLeagueSports" post="10975028" timestamp="1376247304"]I'll put you in as the Patriots for now. We do have a member from last year who is a Patriots fan, but he wasn't sure if he was going to get the game right away. However, if he does, he would have seniority over you.

The other thing, as a new player, I really hope that you read the rules and policies for the league. This league is not the same as the Official Madden League and isn't meant for people who are beasts at Madden. That's not to say we don't have good players. But yeah...once you've played some people in the official league, you'll get what the difference is, l

Yeah I read the rules and understand them. I play fair and realistically. That's why this league sounds awesome. Also my gamertag is RevCottonMarcus.

I am not sure if anyone saw this yet, but the demo for Madden 25 is coming out tomorrow. It will have Ravens vs. 49ers and Seahawks vs. Packers. I also love how they are including a "new" feature in this years game which basically equates to the same mini-camp feature they have always had. That's Madden for ya.

Also, is anyone getting the Amazon collectors version of Madden 25? It includes a year pass to watching any game on your computer/tablet. It also has some Madden Ultimate Team stuff. I think that is the version I will get.

I am not sure if anyone saw this yet, but the demo for Madden 25 is coming out tomorrow. It will have Ravens vs. 49ers and Seahawks vs. Packers. I also love how they are including a "new" feature in this years game which basically equates to the same mini-camp feature they have always had. That's Madden for ya.

Also, is anyone getting the Amazon collectors version of Madden 25? It includes a year pass to watching any game on your computer/tablet. It also has some Madden Ultimate Team stuff. I think that is the version I will get.
I'd just be careful about blackout rules if you're considering the Anniversary Edition. Though not nearly as bad as MLB, I think the NFL's rule is if you live within 75 miles of the stadium, you're subject to being blacked out. It's definitely a good deal if you're out of your favorite team's market though.

Looking forward to the demo tomorrow...though I'm also not expecting it to be too revealing. I went back and looked at the Madden 12 demo a couple months ago and the defensive assignment option (among other things) wasn't in that...even though they ended up having it in the full game. So, certain options being absent tomorrow won't necessarily mean anything.

I'd just be careful about blackout rules if you're considering the Anniversary Edition. Though not nearly as bad as MLB, I think the NFL's rule is if you live within 75 miles of the stadium, you're subject to being blacked out. It's definitely a good deal if you're out of your favorite team's market though.

Looking forward to the demo tomorrow...though I'm also not expecting it to be too revealing. I went back and looked at the Madden 12 demo a couple months ago and the defensive assignment option (among other things) wasn't in that...even though they ended up having it in the full game. So, certain options being absent tomorrow won't necessarily mean anything.
Thanks for the warning! I am definetly within 75 miles of Bank of America Stadium. I honestly had no idea this was a thing. I usually watch the Panthers on my local Fox station, so blackouts aren't too much of a problem. Probably, I will have a computer playing with this and be watching the local game on the local stations at the same time. I am also hoping that this comes with the Redzone Channel online.

Thanks for the warning! I am definetly within 75 miles of Bank of America Stadium. I honestly had no idea this was a thing. I usually watch the Panthers on my local Fox station, so blackouts aren't too much of a problem. Probably, I will have a computer playing with this and be watching the local game on the local stations at the same time. I am also hoping that this comes with the Redzone Channel online.
Yeah...blackouts are definitely a thing, haha. They're pretty much the bane of sports. The NFL's are at least reasonable though. And it used to only apply if the game wasn't sold out...though I'm not sure if these online subscription services have caused that rule to change. Honestly, I've never been affected by NFL blackouts, so maybe that speaks to their fan friendliness.

I've definitely been affected by MLB blackouts though. For MLB, it's done regionally...and the regions are huge. [customspoiler='see here]
776px-MLB_Blackout_Areas.png
[/customspoiler]

So, you could live like 2 states away, and not be able to get your "local team's" network broadcast, but not be able to watch the game on MLB.tv either. In addition, Fox and ESPN have exclusivity to weekend games, which again renders MLB.tv useless. When I lived in NC, Orioles games would be blacked out all the time. So, whenever the Yankees would visit the Orioles, I couldn't watch on MLB.tv. Yup...I'm totally going to drive to Maryland to see the game, lol.

With the way technology is today, I honestly wish teams would just have their own subscription packages on their website to watch all games regardless of where you live. It would be a great alternative to having to subscribe to an all-inclusive league package or cable/satellite.

I had pre-ordered the collector's edition, but Sunday Ticket doesn't work on Kindle Fire. :whistle2:(

Oy...first impression cause for concern. I had to punt on my first possession after just screwing around with some plays. The CPU punt returner calls for a fair catch, so naturally, I make sure to pull up with my defender before crushing him. My CPU teammate, however, does not make that decision and runs straight into the punt returner, drawing a penalty. I'm hoping this was just a freak occurrence. But seriously, on my first damn possession, lol. What are the odds? Hopefully this isn't a Madden 12 thing where you have to manually take control of every player so they don't do something stupid on punts. I'll be interested to hear if anybody else runs into this.

EDIT - I can say, so far blocking is way better than last year. I'm seeing blockers actually seek out someone to block. If there's nobody immediately in front of them, they'll move on down field and find somebody. Running the ball is also more fluid with RBs able to cut better and not stumble into their own linemen. This should make a big difference to the running game. It's not really seeming to adversely affect the defense either. Just the blocks that should be made are made now. Hopefully that reduces those frustrating moments from Madden 13 where you would call the right play, but your blockers wouldn't do anything...so you'd get tackled by the one guy on that side of the field. If it places a greater emphasis on playcalling and outcoaching your opponent, I'm all for it.

Eh...some more good and bad.

CPU ball/clock management seems to finally be fixed. After getting the ball back with less than 2:00 in the half, the CPU started running a no huddle as they should. Now, they did have all 3 timeouts left, but ended up punting the ball before using any of them. Not sure if this means they'll use no huddle instead of timeouts..or if they were just saving them until they got further down the field. Needs more research. Another positive, down 14-3, GB scored a TD to make it 14-9. They went for the 2 point conversion to pull within a FG. I can't say for certain if the CPU would do that in the past, but I'll give EA a slow clap for that one.

On the bad side, coverage seems to be pretty much the same as last year. Players get open fairly easily. I can't say for certain that TEs have an advantage, but it definitely didn't feel any different from last year. Again, time will tell.

Injuries also seem way too high. I saw 4 injuries in my first game. I played as Seattle..and injured both Aaron Rodgers AND Graham Harrell in the game. Antoine Winfield was also injured for me...as well as another player I can't remember. So far, this is the most glaring "expect an announcement from EA" issue that will be changed in the first patch.

I had a thought that between the weird punting snafoo at the beginning and the weak coverage, maybe for once All Madden difficulty would be an option. I played the 2nd half on All Madden, and holy crap, yeah, forget that. It's the same old CPU cheating as always. It's not "harder". Your skills just don't work as well. I had Eddie Lacy...the Packers 76 OVR starting RB lit up in the backfield simultaneously by KJ Wright and Bobby Wagner, and he just rolled through the hit and gained 7 yards. I don't care who you are. That's garbage gameplay. I'd love to have the improved AI brain of All Madden difficulty...but not at that cost. Also, on All Pro, Aaron Rodgers was 6-10 for 60 yds in the 1st half. On All Madden, Graham Harrell went 5-6 for 61 yds in the 3rd quarter. That's the difference between a 98 OVR QB and a 62 OVR QB thanks to difficulty level. GTFO, lol.

Really? Aaron was injured and out for the entire game for me also. Weird. Anyway, I had a lot of fun with the demo. I mainly ran the read option with the Seahawks offense. It's really cool, and I can see myself doing that with Newton and the Panthers. It seems like Madden. Not enough to be very different but enough to convince us to buy it year after year. I am also looking forward to the Madden Ultimate Team Season mode. That looks cool.  

Really? Aaron was injured and out for the entire game for me also. Weird. Anyway, I had a lot of fun with the demo. I mainly ran the read option with the Seahawks offense. It's really cool, and I can see myself doing that with Newton and the Panthers. It seems like Madden. Not enough to be very different but enough to convince us to buy it year after year. I am also looking forward to the Madden Ultimate Team Season mode. That looks cool.
Actually, I had like a minute left in the game when I typed that. The game ended up going to overtime, where Rodgers came back...only to get injured again. So, yeah... 5 injuries in the game...3 to Green Bay QBs (and that's with 5 min qtrs and accelerated clock). I'm reasonably confident this will be a problem with the game. It just reeks of an EA screw up. I hope they're aware of it and have plans to fix it quickly, as that's the kind of that could delay the start of a franchise. I doubt anybody wants their starting QB injured twice a game, lol.

I had a couple of injuries, both to defensive players I think. The second one was AJ Hawk I believe, who took a shot from Lynch, so I thought it was believable.

Makes sense that it would mostly be me. In all the games of Madden I've played in my life, I've never seen the starting and backup QB injured in the same game. So, having it happen in the first game I play of the Madden 25 demo seemed crazy. Maybe I should just brag about apparently having great hit stick skills all of a sudden, lol. Slide, bitch! Slide!

bread's done
Back