CAGLS: Madden 25 Fan's League! Season 3 Complete! Jets Win! Thanks Everybody!

If you can do it before tomorrow evening, I can try to play the CPU after I get home from work. I did send him a message on live, maybe he'll respond in the meantime...
Yeah, he will definitely be put on auto by tomorrow evening. I still have my CPU game to play, and I've gotten back into playing ranked games again. I know I can feel good about my defense when I can stop dbags who run a hurry up the entire game...including going for 4th downs. It's a great feeling making them quit.

I also try to get into their heads early by pausing the game during one of their hurry ups and sending them a message that says "too dumb to play legit, I see". That way, they either tone it down, or at least are consciously thinking about it.

But my favorite is still the people who go straight for 91 OVR Seattle. One guy did that, so I also picked Seattle, and he sat there for a minute, and then backed out, lol. I messaged him and said "Not fun when somebody just goes right for the best team in the game is it?" Never a dull moment on Xbox Live. :lol:

Yeah, he will definitely be put on auto by tomorrow evening. I still have my CPU game to play, and I've gotten back into playing ranked games again. I know I can feel good about my defense when I can stop dbags who run a hurry up the entire game...including going for 4th downs. It's a great feeling making them quit.

I also try to get into their heads early by pausing the game during one of their hurry ups and sending them a message that says "too dumb to play legit, I see". That way, they either tone it down, or at least are consciously thinking about it.

But my favorite is still the people who go straight for 91 OVR Seattle. One guy did that, so I also picked Seattle, and he sat there for a minute, and then backed out, lol. I messaged him and said "Not fun when somebody just goes right for the best team in the game is it?" Never a dull moment on Xbox Live. :lol:
this is great, and also the definition of what i had to go through every ranked game i played. teaching them a lesson in the end has to be the best feeling of madden

Dammit dude, totally my fault. I just looked at the pm and thought I said tomorrow night (tonight) in the pm but I said tonight (yesterday) by mistake. Hope that made sense.

Very Sorry.

Good game Flyersfan.  The game was close but turnovers killed me.

One thing I would mention is I don't know if many NFL coaches would go for it on 4th and 7 up by 4 in the 4th quarter.  I get that it was at midfield around that area just outside field goal range but I still think that is a punting situation.  If it was 4th and short I could see it but not 4th and 7, just my personal opinion.

Good game man. I think thats the first time ive beaten you in this league.

The only reason I did it was that I was on your 43, and you had two drives that killed a lot of clock, especially that first drive. Those two clock killing drives ended in a goal line stand by my d stopping you on 1st & goal and an interception in the end zone. I knew if you got the ball back without me scoring there was a good probability of you killing a lot of clock and getting in the end zone, and I knew if I got it I could use up some clock with the way my running game was working.

I think I finally found my niche in Madden. I am not good at throwing. I just need my qb to be a game manager and get me first downs as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it wasn't a huge deal.  I just wasn't expecting it because of the yardage.

The turnover in the end zone really killed me because I didn't throw it to the right receiver.  One guy was open and I pressed the wrong button.  My offense was decent but just couldn't get my defense going.  I thought about kicking the onside kick after the 2 point conversion but was betting on a stop by the d.  So of course right after I got the stop and forced a punt I threw a stupid pick.

It was a really good game man.

I agree that 4th and 7 is too long, personally. I can understand the reasoning but I don't think you go for it there.

Yeah...I don't think it's so egregious that it's a strike-worthy offence, but something to really think through a little more in the future. I don't have a problem with the spot on the field...just the yardage (since it makes it a passing down where a real defense would just blanket receivers).

It's just really hard to validate the "no faith in your defense" argument. Because I think the "smart play" there is pinning him inside the 20 (or even the 10), and knowing that he HAS to get into your end zone or it doesn't matter. He can chew all the clock in the world, but if you keep him out of the end zone (which it seems like you managed to do twice earlier in the game), then you win.

That's one of those calls that is almost right there on the border...with the difference being a video game defense (where TEs and RBs get open at will) vs a real defense. Really, if you think about it...you had more confidence in your offense gaining 7 yards on one try than your defense stopping DarkTower from going 80+ yards in numerous tries. Sounds a little silly in those terms doesn't it?

I mean, I see the point in 4th and 7. I really do. I just did what I thought a coach would do in assessing the situation, percentages and flow of the game. I would either gain a net of 23 yards (possibly more, but not much and probably not. I suck at directional punting toward the sideline/coffin corner kicking) or be in a better position to win the game. I didnt lose any faith in my defense, but in assessing the game, (and the turnovers and goal line stop did play a factor), i decided the risk was worth it. I also understand video game vs real life abilities are different. Darktower scored easily on his next drive in a little over a minute I believe.

For what it's worth, I was at the play call screen for about 25 seconds just deciding between the punt and to go for it. I decided to see his defense and if I liked it I was going for it, if not I would call a timeout. Plenty of coaches do that, or try to draw them offsides which is all but impossible in Madden.

That brings up a new argument especially after this past weekend. Let's say I'm down by 1 or 2 and get the ball with 2 minutes left. I drive down the field quickly and get to the 20 with 1:20 left. I break off an easy run to the outside and am about to easily score but realize the game situation and dive at the 4 yard line or so to avoid going in. I then take a few knees and kick the winning FG. Easily a pissed off type of situation if you are the defense because you won't get the ball back and are guaranteed to lose barring a massive slip of the thumb by the kicking team.

Or if I see the defense manually controlling guys and pulling them out of the way to easily let me score so they can get the ball back and I purposely take a dive to keep it. What do you guys say? Apologies if this has been brought up before, just thought it was appropriate especially after the wild card weekend we just had. The NFL, in close games, has been turning into a game of whoever has it last wins. It's just too easy to drive down the field if you have an above average qb.

I mean, I see the point in 4th and 7. I really do. I just did what I thought a coach would do in assessing the situation, percentages and flow of the game. I would either gain a net of 23 yards (possibly more, but not much and probably not. I suck at directional punting toward the sideline/coffin corner kicking) or be in a better position to win the game. I didnt lose any faith in my defense, but in assessing the game, (and the turnovers and goal line stop did play a factor), i decided the risk was worth it. I also understand video game vs real life abilities are different. Darktower scored easily on his next drive in a little over a minute I believe.

For what it's worth, I was at the play call screen for about 25 seconds just deciding between the punt and to go for it. I decided to see his defense and if I liked it I was going for it, if not I would call a timeout. Plenty of coaches do that, or try to draw them offsides which is all but impossible in Madden.
Just to chime in on this: I was in a similar situation last season and chose to go for it as well and it was counted as a strike against me. I thought we all agreed to punt in this situation?

Just to chime in on this: I was in a similar situation last season and chose to go for it as well and it was counted as a strike against me. I thought we all agreed to punt in this situation?
Pull up the similar situation and I'll give him a strike. Not trying to be unfair about it. I just don't remember the exact circumstances.

That brings up a new argument especially after this past weekend. Let's say I'm down by 1 or 2 and get the ball with 2 minutes left. I drive down the field quickly and get to the 20 with 1:20 left. I break off an easy run to the outside and am about to easily score but realize the game situation and dive at the 4 yard line or so to avoid going in. I then take a few knees and kick the winning FG. Easily a pissed off type of situation if you are the defense because you won't get the ball back and are guaranteed to lose barring a massive slip of the thumb by the kicking team.

Or if I see the defense manually controlling guys and pulling them out of the way to easily let me score so they can get the ball back and I purposely take a dive to keep it. What do you guys say? Apologies if this has been brought up before, just thought it was appropriate especially after the wild card weekend we just had. The NFL, in close games, has been turning into a game of whoever has it last wins. It's just too easy to drive down the field if you have an above average qb.
I don't think that's remotely close to being the same thing. That example is savvy clock management as opposed to taking advantage of a video game defense. I did this in an online ranked game last night because I didn't need a TD to win. My opponent only had one timeout left, and he had to just sit there and watch the clock drain.

He even used his timeout after I kneeled the ball the second time with 0:19 left like it was going to somehow throw me off. But I had timeouts of my own left. So, I kneeled again, let the clock drain to :03 (even though he paused the game with 0:05 left...I'm guessing in the hope that I'd not be paying attention and the game would end...classy) and used one of my timeouts.

But that's a situation of managing the clock to win the game as time expires. Your situation is "I'm already winning and I don't want to play defense". Even an argument of it being "too easy" to move down the field...doesn't that make it even less ok to go for it on 4th down? It just feels like a slippery slope where if we allow people to go for it because they don't want to play defense, then why don't people go for it all the time? I mean, 4th and 10 is not THAT MUCH more than 4th and 7...and you'll be throwing the ball anyway. See what I mean?

I guess we could just hammer out crystal clear conditions like chetty had with his owner's league. But I had hoped that wouldn't be necessary. I know it wasn't done with malice and at least it was close so it wasn't like a "WTF were you thinking???" type of play. I just don't think it's reasonable to call a 4th and 7 "clock management" any more than you could going for a 4th down any other time.

in the midst of all of this, we have advanced to Week 3. Key human vs human games this week include:

Cowboys (DVO21) vs Rams (wtfitstonyy) - though, wtfitstonyy, the Cowboys owner has not checked in in quite a while. He's already on auto pilot, but send him a message, and if you haven't gotten a response by the day of the deadline, you can play the CPU

Colts (DarkTower80) vs Jets (HooRox)

Bengals (pitfallharry219) vs Ravens (Flyersfan)

The deadline will be 1/12.

Post 794 Nate.
Thank you. I remember that now. It seems like it was a bit more than just going for it on 4th down. 4th and 6 at the 49 vs 4th and 7 at the 43...that's similar enough I suppose. But there were also some issues with timeouts being called and ubernes coming out in a punt return formation and the ball being snapped before he could audible. I even made mention that that issue was worse than just going for it.

I have a personal opinion on this, but I will defer to the trade committee (minus DarkTower...since he was involved in the game) for second opinions. All of you read post 794 (and preceding posts if you want more background), and decide if you think this is similar enough that Flyersfan should get a strike (which would be his warning strike). I'm at least glad my feeling on punting was consistent though, lol. I'd feel like an ass if I told one person going for it was ok and the other person that they should have punted.

Nate, give me the strike. It's similar enough.

I was running on fumes during the game and honestly can't recall whatever led up to me going for it (the plays during that drive/series I mean. I know why I went for it). I had to be up 4 hours after the game ended as you can see by my post. I felt bad for leaving Darktower hanging the day before and was still awake so I sent him a pm to play.

Nate, give me the strike. It's similar enough.

I was running on fumes during the game and honestly can't recall whatever led up to me going for it (the plays during that drive/series I mean. I know why I went for it). I had to be up 4 hours after the game ended as you can see by my post. I felt bad for leaving Darktower hanging the day before and was still awake so I sent him a pm to play.
Appreciate the cooperation. And yeah...the trade committee agrees. Just for the sake of consistency, issuing the warning strike is the most fair thing to do. I wanted to be as judicial as I could about this...and we're considering drawing up clear guidelines on when it's ok to go for a 4th down. But at the same time...I don't think anybody wants that "forced punting" thing that EA tried with Madden 07. But just for the sake of full disclosure and community feedback, the initial proposal looked like this.

I would be more comfortable basing it around the ability to kick a field goal and the likeliness of making said field goal. Honestly, that probably makes the 43 yard line a good stopping point since it sets up a 60 yard field goal...which very few people would attempt. For instance:

Opponent's 43 yard line or back = punt or field goal (unless you are losing in the 4th quarter)

Opponent's 33 - 42 yard line = No man's land. You can attempt any 4th and 10 or less (though many times, it should be in your best interest to just kick the field goal). If you're facing greater than 4th and 10, you punt or kick field goal (unless you're losing in the 4th quarter)

Opponent's 32 yard line or closer = field goal (unless you're losing by more than 3 in the 4th quarter)

This is just a rough guideline that seemed reasonable to me. The 33 - 42, 4th and 10 or less section probably leaves a bit too much wiggle room...but I'm trying to not create 9 different conditions that everyone is expected to remember (ie. 35 - 39 you can go for 4th and 3 or less, 40 - 42 you can go for 4th and 1 or less).

I'm open to feedback and tweaking though. If you think the "forced punt" line should be moved in from the 43, I'm open to that as well. Just trying to decide where the most reasonable cut off is for where a coach would punt less than 75% of the time.
Just not sure what people would prefer. Concrete rules or discretion and case by case basis.

Holy crap the CPU Lions are tough. I won with 7 seconds left in the game down 3. Calvin got a couple runs out of the backfield. No idea what they were doing but it worked. Sproles broke his jaw though so there goes my MVP so far.

I actually like the link for the chart that shows what NFL coaches actually do. But that bot is fucking retarded, lol. So...it recommends that you go for it on 4th and 3 from your own 8....but punt it on 4th and 3 from your own 25? The fuck? lol

What NFL coaches do is interesting though. For the 4th and 7 example...there isn't even any "go for it" zone. It has them punting all the way to their opponent's 36 and kicking a field goal at their opponent's 35. Even a 4th and 1...it doesn't have coaches going for it until they reach their opponent's 45.

Obviously, the problem here is it doesn't say anything about score or how much time is left in the game. But interesting information.

Cowboys (DVO21) vs Rams (wtfitstonyy) - though, wtfitstonyy, the Cowboys owner has not checked in in quite a while. He's already on auto pilot, but send him a message, and if you haven't gotten a response by the day of the deadline, you can play the CPU
i just sent him a message. i'll post on here if he answers it tomorrow night

Holy crap the CPU Lions are tough. I won with 7 seconds left in the game down 3. Calvin got a couple runs out of the backfield. No idea what they were doing but it worked. Sproles broke his jaw though so there goes my MVP so far.
I feel like the CPU is tougher in general so far this season for some reason lol. I barely beat dallas in overtime, and lost to the 49ers. That is the first time I have lost to the CPU in this league.

Cam Newton wants a 145m over six years contract. Good lord!

Edit: it would be cheaper to franchise tag him than pay him the 24m a year that he wants.

Jets over Colts 28-21.  Just could not get a defensive stop.  Even on 3rd and long my defense would just give enough to pick up the 1st. 

GG HooRox.

Jets over Colts 28-21. Just could not get a defensive stop. Even on 3rd and long my defense would just give enough to pick up the 1st.

GG HooRox.
Indeed, it was a good game, DarkTower. For what it's worth, even though I won, I felt like I couldn't stop you either. I mean there was only one 4th down in the whole game, and that was when you punted in the first half. I will echo your sentiment that even on 3rd down, you would also gain just enough to move the chains. Hakeem Nicks was wearing me out. I just managed to get the scores at good times and the clock just worked in my favor. Could have gone the other way pretty easily. Both of our defenses dropped an INT or two, as well.

Anyway, it was a fun game. Good luck the rest of the season, man!

Sure. Just post your information (XBL gamertag, time zone, general availability), and I'll send you an invite the next time I boot up the game.
should have asked this before is this an xbox one league? I only have the one version of madden which is a lot more playable than the 360 version

should have asked this before is this an xbox one league? I only have the one version of madden which is a lot more playable than the 360 version
Didn't even need to ask. All you had to do was look at the first post (where the rules are), to see that we've been playing since August. Would have been kind of tough to play the Xbox One version back then, lol.

Though I've only played 3 CPU games, the Titans defense has yet to give up a TD this season. My next 3 games are finally against human opponents though, starting with a Super Bowl rematch in Week 4 against Carolina. So, I'm sure that streak won't last much longer. Just counting my number of human games this season, it looks like I'll have 8...which seems pretty good considering how many players we have left. Looking forward to all of these matchups.

Great.

Pitfall and I played a great division game, with the momentum constantly swinging back and forth, that ended due to (presumably) EA's servers with a little over a minute left in the 4th and me leading 24-21. I believe it was 3rd down and I was around his 35. When it happened. If I converted the game would've been over but if not, with my fg pitfall would've gotten the ball with 30-40 seconds down 6.

Pitfall said he would go on auto and i could play his CPU but Just sim it Nate. We'll never know what would have happened at the end and I'm not confident that EA Won't waste my time (or Pitfalls) again tonight.

Sorry I was a bit late btw Pitfall. They had a road closed off that I take from a friends house I was watching the games at back to mine. Caused me to have a huge detour.

No worries. Good game. I was trying to squeeze off one more play before the two minute warning. I just hurried up and picked a random play before hot-routing quickly at the line, and that's when I ended up throwing that last interception. In hindsight, I should've just let it run down to two minutes and then milked the clock looking for the tying FG or winning TD.

All right. We have advanced to Week 4. Neither the Packers nor Bills played their CPU games. Not sure what happened there, but just wanted to point it out. Obviously, at this point, expectations aren't as high...but it would be nice if people still wanted to play.

Anyway, key human vs human games this week include:

Jets (HooRox) vs Giants (jza1218)

Cowboys (DVO21) vs Bills (Twick87) - Again, Twick....I doubt DVO will play. He's already on auto though. So, play it when you need to

Packers (Matt Young) vs Broncos (KasterDB)

Colts (DarkTower80) vs Saints (ubernes)

Titans (n8rockerasu) vs Panthers (Dark Rider)

That's crazy. Almost all of our human teams are playing each other this week...and those are some fun matchups too. The deadline will be 1/16!

Ooh, I Super Bowl rematch. I will be expecting your play style this time. You will also be happy to hear that Steve Smith is back from his broken thumb.

bread's done
Back