CAGLS: Official NHL 13 No Hockey League - Playoffs! Rd 1 - Deadline 12/11!

[quote name='Canbanana']This week looks like one of my toughest yet, have a feeling I'm going to be put through the wringer.

On a side note, I know a few of you play HUT what the hell is the secret? I can't win a game to save my life (0-6 online rookie cup games). I scored Backstrom for an unbelievable 1500 pucks and he can't save a damn thing for me in HUT even though he plays fantastic in net for me in Connected.[/QUOTE]

I'm getting to the point that I hate HUT. I have yet to play it online, but against the CPU I can play Rookie games that are about as difficult as a Pro game. Some times it is the other way around. I save up for a gold pack, but run out of contract cards so I have to buy the cheap packs just to be able to get some contracts. That is the part that aggravates me the most.

[quote name='sendme']I'm getting to the point that I hate HUT. I have yet to play it online, but against the CPU I can play Rookie games that are about as difficult as a Pro game. Some times it is the other way around. I save up for a gold pack, but run out of contract cards so I have to buy the cheap packs just to be able to get some contracts. That is the part that aggravates me the most.[/QUOTE]

I'm not really a fan of HUT either. I dont ever seem to get into the puck-making system that you need in order to really prosper, and the contracts system definitely needs improvement. Just another lazy offering from EA.

It doesn't seem like it is lazy. To me it seems like they are just trying to get as much cash out of the players as they can. For the casual player it just seems like it is one big circle that will end up having them say fuck that. The circle being open start packs, play games, buy more packs renew contracts, play more games heal players/renew contracts, open more bronze packs for more contracts, play more games for gold packs, renew contracts, buy a gold pack, realize you don't have many more contracts, play to get bronze packs for contracts. Seems like they really just want you to spend your money one the packs. In Mass Effect this system works a lot better than it does in NHL 13.

WOW I'm a little buzzed off this Schlafly Pumpkin Ale.

Yeah, a lack of contracts is not the issue I have with HUT. My problem with it is there's basically no motivation to keep coming back. With Madden, you have multiple new collections every week, you have solo challenge games, you have legitimate rewards for completing collections, etc. In HUT, there's none of that. You have the "Team of the Week", but there's no real reward for beating them.

To make matters worse, for anyone who purchased the EA Season Ticket, the cards in the weekly reward packs you get from it cannot be sold or even traded (EA's claim is that "free cards" can't be sold or traded. Yeah...Season Ticket sure was free...). So, week after week, I get stuck with numerous cards that due me no good at all.

I've got so many jersey and logo cards I don't need (considering I got to just choose the jersey/logo I wanted when I started my team). It's just so poorly designed all the way around. I do think part of it is because EA just wants people to spend Microsoft points rather than actually play the game to build their team. But at the same time, the depth of the mode itself and the incentive to build up your collections is pretty lazy.

On for a few hours tonight;
Detroit x2 (hoping Sunday Morning)
St. Louis
Minnesota
Detroit
NY Rangers

Please send me a message if I'm on another game I will finish and jump into NHL13
Tomorrow will be very random for me as I am daddy duty all day and I can only lock my kids up for so long.... jk... really I'm kidding... put down that phone :(

[quote name='Canbanana']
On a side note, I know a few of you play HUT what the hell is the secret? I can't win a game to save my life (0-6 online rookie cup games). I scored Backstrom for an unbelievable 1500 pucks and he can't save a damn thing for me in HUT even though he plays fantastic in net for me in Connected.[/QUOTE]

Is rookie the first one listed or second? I'm trying to think right now what the titles are and can't remember if the first one was rookie or amateur.

I personally don't mess with the first one listed after beating it one of the first few weeks. Since there is no salary cap, unless you have an all-star team... You aren't going to have too much of a shot since you can play a flawless game only to have them when on a lucky shot. I stick to the second tourney with the cap of 30,000 (my team floats around 28,000 to 29,000. The third ones good to if you can meet the cap.

[quote name='sendme']I'm getting to the point that I hate HUT. I have yet to play it online, but against the CPU I can play Rookie games that are about as difficult as a Pro game. Some times it is the other way around. I save up for a gold pack, but run out of contract cards so I have to buy the cheap packs just to be able to get some contracts. That is the part that aggravates me the most.[/QUOTE]

Auction house is your friend. Don't buy bronze or silvers. They aren't going to help you build up a solid team. Even Gold's won't help that much. My own personal little rule for myself is never buy a contract in the auction house for less than a 100 pucks for every 6 games the contract is worth. So... 20 games I usually end up getting for 300 sometimes, 25/400, and 30/500. Occasionally, I'll pay 50-100 more than those, but I try not too.

Then for players, a good way to get some steals is go to the auction house search position and NHL and scroll to whatever pages the "1 Hour remaining" auctions are on. Keep tabbing over to refresh the page where the "59 Minutes" to "1 Hour" auctions are and look at the Buy Now prices. I got an Eric Cole this way a few weeks back for 5k when he was still going for 10-18k.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Yeah, a lack of contracts is not the issue I have with HUT. My problem with it is there's basically no motivation to keep coming back. With Madden, you have multiple new collections every week, you have solo challenge games, you have legitimate rewards for completing collections, etc. In HUT, there's none of that. You have the "Team of the Week", but there's no real reward for beating them.

To make matters worse, for anyone who purchased the EA Season Ticket, the cards in the weekly reward packs you get from it cannot be sold or even traded (EA's claim is that "free cards" can't be sold or traded. Yeah...Season Ticket sure was free...). So, week after week, I get stuck with numerous cards that due me no good at all.

I've got so many jersey and logo cards I don't need (considering I got to just choose the jersey/logo I wanted when I started my team). It's just so poorly designed all the way around. I do think part of it is because EA just wants people to spend Microsoft points rather than actually play the game to build their team. But at the same time, the depth of the mode itself and the incentive to build up your collections is pretty lazy.[/QUOTE]

What kind of stuff do you get in Madden for completing collections?

That does suck about the EA Ticket packs. I know the pre-order ones are the same way, but I guess technically they should be.

I fucking hate the dumbasses on NHL HUT that spend a ton of money just to buy the team they want. Some jackass on the forums a week ago was showing off his team. All Stars of the Week cards some of which were Ovi, Quick, Datsyuk, Giroux, Weber and a bunch of others. When being ridiculed saying that he had no life and was an idiot for doing it. He ended up saying, "It really only cost me under $500." Really? WTF? Who does that?

Unfortunately, you really just gotta be really active to minimize your real money spending in HUT. I managed to build a decent team early on after lucking out and selling a Crosby for ~300K that I got after buying two Jumbo packs with MS points. That card alone as supplied my team with plenty of consumables and fodder for the auction house to keep buying new cards. You do also have to spend time consistently auctioning off unsold items again and again until someone buys even your cheap cards, and pay attention to "peak hours" and have your auctions close around those times.

[quote name='mvp828']What kind of stuff do you get in Madden for completing collections?[/QUOTE]

In Madden, in addition to the coin bonuses for completing a collection, sometimes you'll get special cards as well. Actually, this year, they even started giving out reward cards just for beating certain games (you can get a Vince Lombardi card pretty easily). And the variety of collections is just WAY bigger. Right now, MUT has 240 collections, with more being added every week (they add weekly matchup collections...which granted, NHL can't do since the league isn't playing, but they do others as well).

As an example, they just added a 5 card Jerry Rice collection where you have to collect 4 different Jerry Rice cards (from different points in his career), and then the 49ers throwback 80s uniform. If you complete that collection you get a 2 star Jerry Rice card (not sure what the significance of the 2 stars is...as I haven't been lucky enough to complete one of those collections yet).

They even did a set of Halloween themed collections called the "Most Feared" collection. This one was cool because you got to pick which player you were targeting, and if you won two games, you got a card for that player. Through this method, I acquired Vernon Davis, Clay Matthews, Cortland Finnegan, and Ndamukong Suh. Then they have simple collections for jerseys, stadiums, playbooks. And even statistic based collections like the top 10 QBs with the most pass attempts in 2011 (Rubber Arms), top 5 players with the most fumbles in 2011 (Butter Fingers), etc. There's just no question that a lot more thought went into MUT.

Not to mention that for the Season Ticket reward packs, in MUT, out of my 12 card pack, I always get 7 players. In HUT, a game that has far more players to collect thanks to all the European and minor league teams, I never get more than 3 players.

Damn that is pretty awesome. I never got into MUT. I played a couple games in '12, but nothing else really. I definitely wish my free packs for the GS pre-order weren't just like you said the EA Season Ticket ones. I get sick of getting, 3 players (2 of whom seem to come up are Beagle from the Caps and Beach) and the Rangers home and LA alternate Yellow Jerseys. Shit I mean the Gold Jumbos have been absolutely worthless ever since they changed the wording to say 4-5 80+ rated players. I have used pucks on approximately 7 or so packs since they changed the wording, and I think I have got one 81 rated AHL player and all the rest are 80s.

It's silly that we can sell/trade the MUT ones and not the HUT ones. Especially since they keep giving up crap players. Well at least lately, early on I got a Callahan and a Doug Gilmour card.

[quote name='Wpark83']So, Carolina left the league now?[/QUOTE]

I haven't looked in game, but if he did, that's too bad. He talked to me a week or so ago about just being really disappointed with this game, and the way it plays (ie. times when you outplay somebody and get nothing for it). If true, it's not terribly surprising. It sucks to lose a top team like this, but as I've been saying, we just gotta keep moving forward.

We'll see who's even left for a second season. All the more reason these "Give me an 80+ player for 2 1st round draft picks 3 years from now" trades are not reasonable. It's weird, but I kind of feel like both NHL and Madden are on this same parallel. Being in leagues for both, I can see people struggling to find the good in the games. EA really let down a lot of people this year.

Hate to do it, but I wont be able to play tonight and now tomorrow is looking like a no go. So if you need to play St. Louis you can play the CPU. I'm not sure if I will be on and if I am I don't know how long. If you see me on feel free to send a message and ask if I can play, but I wont care if anyone played the CPU today or tomorrow with out asking.

Looks like its going to be a battle between Mr Hockey and myself for the final playoff spot in the East, everyone else looks like they are in now, positions may change though.

Good luck!

[quote name='Flyersfan']Looks like its going to be a battle between Mr Hockey and myself for the final playoff spot in the East, everyone else looks like they are in now, positions may change though.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Mostly human controlled teams in the playoffs too. Sucks that Carolina bailed with playoffs starting in about 11 days and in prime position for #2 seed. Doesn't make sense to me but is what it is.

Should be a fun playoff battle. Is it best of 7 every series?

[quote name='Flyersfan']Looks like its going to be a battle between Mr Hockey and myself for the final playoff spot in the East, everyone else looks like they are in now, positions may change though.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Of course I go on a five game losing streak at the end to open it up for you. It's going to be a close run. However whoever gets in will be destroyed in the first round by the Canadians.

My goal for the season was to have a winning record, hopefully make the playoffs, and improve my team and my play. Either way I had a fun season. I gave my all on every game.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']Of course I go on a five game losing streak at the end to open it up for you. It's going to be a close run. However whoever gets in will be destroyed in the first round by the Canadians.

My goal for the season was to have a winning record, hopefully make the playoffs, and improve my team and my play. Either way I had a fun season. I gave my all on every game.[/QUOTE]

Philly just beat me on Friday lol. I couldn't do shit on Leighton. In fact I think it is the only loss I've had by two goals or more.

[quote name='Captain OBVIOU5']With 15 games remaining, I am 10 points out of the Western playoffs. It's going to be tight but I'm not putting any $$$ on the eighth seed.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I think we play again don't we? What's your schedule look like tonight and tomorrow? I've got a Madden league game tonight at 9 PM EST, but I could play after or before that if you're available. Tomorrow, I can play any time from 7 PM EST until pretty late (most likely 2-3 AM EST). If you've got a time in mind that works, let me know.

[quote name='mvp828']Philly just beat me on Friday lol. I couldn't do shit on Leighton. In fact I think it is the only loss I've had by two goals or more.[/QUOTE]

Switching to Leighton was the best decision I've made in this game. He is 16-2 with 8 shutouts, 0.98 GAA and 0.94 SV%

In fact, I'm pretty sure I've only lost 4 out of my last 20 games overall to go on this playoff push run, 2 in a row with Bryzgalov before I switched him out.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Hey, I think we play again don't we? What's your schedule look like tonight and tomorrow? I've got a Madden league game tonight at 9 PM EST, but I could play after or before that if you're available. Tomorrow, I can play any time from 7 PM EST until pretty late (most likely 2-3 AM EST). If you've got a time in mind that works, let me know.[/QUOTE]

I will have to see what the options are for me when I get home. I'll let you know as soon as I can.

Gotta love EA. Decided to switch up some of my lines after my loss to Winnipeg and I get this error after I make the line changes. You are over the NHL team roster of 23. Ummm, how did that happen if I didn't call anyone up after the game? fucking EA.

[quote name='Flyersfan']Switching to Leighton was the best decision I've made in this game. He is 16-2 with 8 shutouts, 0.98 GAA and 0.94 SV%

In fact, I'm pretty sure I've only lost 4 out of my last 20 games overall to go on this playoff push run, 2 in a row with Bryzgalov before I switched him out.[/QUOTE]

You were 9-1 in your last ten last game I played. I know how you feel though. I switched to Holtby, a 73 overall compared to 81 overall my starter, and it's been a godsend.

weird night on the ice tonight.

First, against Philly, I won 2-1 on a goal by Krejci with 1.4 seconds left. Beautiful shot that 5-holed the goalie and was the edge in a true battle.

Then, played against Mr_Hockey and with him up 3-2 late in the 3rd and me on a powerplay...lost connection. We tried twice after that to go again (planned to reset it to 3-2 then play the 3rd period) and our connection dropped in the 1st period after we scored our goals. So we'll try again tomorrow.

Then, played Pittsburgh and ended up losing 5-1. But it was 3-1 late and I had a lot of chances at the end...he managed to get 2 crazy insurance goals in the final minute.

Finally, played Winnipeg. Pretty tight game, and then this BS happens early in the 3rd tied 3-3, turned out to be the go-ahead goal. EA strikes again.

http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/142933066

Am I crazy or would that goal never count in a real life game?

That first goal on me was crazy too. Harding gloved it puts it on the ice to cover and kicks it into his own goal.

I was able to instal the game to my hd with no problems. Let me know what time you want to play. I can be on pretty much allday.

[quote name='jza1218']Gotta love EA. Decided to switch up some of my lines after my loss to Winnipeg and I get this error after I make the line changes. You are over the NHL team roster of 23. Ummm, how did that happen if I didn't call anyone up after the game? fucking EA.[/QUOTE]

you probably took a player that was scratched and dressed him, which would put you over the limit.

[quote name='Twick87']you probably took a player that was scratched and dressed him, which would put you over the limit.[/QUOTE]

That could be it. The game definitely doesn't make it easy though because it's so terrible with the way it handles injuries...especially the short "day to day" ones. It will scratch the player automatically, but won't promote a player to take his place, and won't return the injured player to his regular spot when he's available again (I figured this out when I saw that I had 5 guys scratched the other night). So, basically...the game fucks up your lines, but can't put them back the way they were, lol. And considering the amount of injuries in GM Connected, this is pretty much constantly happening. It's really annoying.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']That could be it. The game definitely doesn't make it easy though because it's so terrible with the way it handles injuries...especially the short "day to day" ones. It will scratch the player automatically, but won't promote a player to take his place, and won't return the injured player to his regular spot when he's available again (I figured this out when I saw that I had 5 guys scratched the other night). So, basically...the game fucks up your lines, but can't put them back the way they were, lol. And considering the amount of injuries in GM Connected, this is pretty much constantly happening. It's really annoying.[/QUOTE]

Yea, the game has screwed me over twice going into big games and I didn't catch it. The first was losing a 4th line winger and having the game mix up my first two lines because of it. The second was after having a D-Man go down it actually mixed up my first two forward lines again.

The other funny thing I have seen is the game puttinng one of my D guys that was scratched at RW after losing 2 forwards.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']That could be it. The game definitely doesn't make it easy though because it's so terrible with the way it handles injuries...especially the short "day to day" ones. It will scratch the player automatically, but won't promote a player to take his place, and won't return the injured player to his regular spot when he's available again (I figured this out when I saw that I had 5 guys scratched the other night). So, basically...the game fucks up your lines, but can't put them back the way they were, lol. And considering the amount of injuries in GM Connected, this is pretty much constantly happening. It's really annoying.[/QUOTE]

speaking of injuries....anybody up for turning injuries off completely next season? I mean, it's getting ridiculous, personally I've been keeping track and I will have close to 300 man games lost to injury at this point. and a lot of times it's the most innocent looking check and my guy basically does a backflip and is out for 20 games. meanwhile players are constantly taking slapshots off their ankles and never getting injured.

I just feel like taking injuries off will level the playing field (by not having key guys constantly hurt) and it will solve all of this "roster issues" nonsense when trying to play an opponents CPU. How does everyone else feel about this?

[quote name='mvp828']Yea, the game has screwed me over twice going into big games and I didn't catch it. The first was losing a 4th line winger and having the game mix up my first two lines because of it. The second was after having a D-Man go down it actually mixed up my first two forward lines again.

The other funny thing I have seen is the game puttinng one of my D guys that was scratched at RW after losing 2 forwards.[/QUOTE]

yea last night I had a game where a defenseman went down and it replaced him with a forward. THOMAS VANEK of all players...really??? not a 4th line guy, but my top LW???

[quote name='Twick87']you probably took a player that was scratched and dressed him, which would put you over the limit.[/QUOTE]

Nope I swapped my first and second line wingers. That was it.

[quote name='Twick87']speaking of injuries....anybody up for turning injuries off completely next season? I mean, it's getting ridiculous, personally I've been keeping track and I will have close to 300 man games lost to injury at this point. and a lot of times it's the most innocent looking check and my guy basically does a backflip and is out for 20 games. meanwhile players are constantly taking slapshots off their ankles and never getting injured.

I just feel like taking injuries off will level the playing field (by not having key guys constantly hurt) and it will solve all of this "roster issues" nonsense when trying to play an opponents CPU. How does everyone else feel about this?[/QUOTE]

I'm always open to this kind of idea. People tend to make the argument that injuries add "realism" to the game, but I always point out that when they're done wrong...there is no realism. I feel that way about a lot of the things in the game this year. EA's claim to strive for "realism" just wound up breaking so many aspects of the sport. Checking is a good example. As you said, little nudges will send your player cartwheeling all over the ice...but then there are times when your big bruiser defenseman just bounces off some little winger. It's stupid.

EA started these changes last year, and I hate them. I much prefer the "rag doll" hitting from NHL 10/11. Not only did it provide for some hilarious replays, but it was fairly standardized. You knew what was going to be a hit. People don't realize it, but that helps both offensively and defensively. If you were a tiny little speedster, and you see that both d-men are back, you wouldn't just try skating right at them. It's about consistency.

This year, everything feels like a crapshoot. Even as the d-man, you're not even sure if you should attempt the hit because your stats and positioning don't seem to matter at all. Add to that that stick lifting doesn't really work at all, and what you're left with is everyone spamming the RB because that's the only thing they have any confidence in.

I've even said the same thing for scoring. There were plenty of times when I hated the "always goals". But at least you knew how people were trying to score and you could defend it. And you were free to reap the benefits of them yourself. Now, I'm not talking about things that shouldn't be physically possible: skating backward to avoid hits, the puck magnetically staying on someone's stick, using boardplay to avoid a hit, sticks clipping through body parts, etc. That's EA's lack of understanding of what physics actually is.

But the cross creases, one timers, breakaways, and even the drag wristers, curl shots, etc. We always said "if you leave someone with an uncontested shot, expect them to score". The game was about making your opponent play poor defense and reaping the easy goals as a result...and that's really how it should be.

I never really had an issue with the actual goals being scored because with defensemen as horrible as EA programmed, those SHOULD be goals. Even the goalies, I felt weren't as bad as people on the EA forums made them out to be. Sure, they misplayed soft shots and dumps...but they STILL do that. The only thing EA seemed to "fix" was goalies making saves when they shouldn't.

This year, sometimes it just doesn't matter. I'm so sick of struggling against the damn CPU because I outshoot them by a 2-1 margin, and just get stonewalled by their goalie who sees everything. Meanwhile, they're whipping the puck around the ice like it's nothing, passing near 90%. This game is so far from a realistic hockey game it's not even funny.

Anyway, yeah...wow, that got off on a tangent, lol. If people want to turn off injuries for next season, I'd be fine with it. At this point, anything that might improve the enjoyment of the league despite EA's worst efforts, I'm all for.

Doesn't make a difference to me. IMO, part of the challenge of being a GM is dealing with injuries, whether it's by claiming FAs/waivers, or digging into your farm system. On the other hand, injuries seem a bit too far out of hand, so there's that argument.

Are injuries even something that can be changed after we started though?

As for the game automatically putting players in the wrong position. I think it's because it's designed to replace the position with whoever is the best rated that isn't currently on the starting roster. When I had over half my starting forwards injured, it stuck my scratched dmen in forward spots rather than call up forwards.

I would like to also like to add a rule that your back-up goaltender has to play so many games a season, maybe 12-15. I know a lot of you have already swapped goalies throughout the season so it wont be much of an issue with most of you. But it just seems unrealistic to see how many games, including my own, some of the top goalies have played this year.

[quote name='ajh2298']I would like to also like to add a rule that your back-up goaltender has to play so many games a season, maybe 12-15. I know a lot of you have already swapped goalies throughout the season so it wont be much of an issue with most of you. But it just seems unrealistic to see how many games, including my own, some of the top goalies have played this year.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I don't understand why there isn't fatigue like there has been in offline franchise for years. I guess it's probably because of the "flex scheduling", but really, it shouldn't be that difficult to code that every 4-5 games your goalie gets tired. The sequence of the games wouldn't really matter. I guess that takes effort though.

I always switch goalies. I think turning injuries off will just let the tigers loose for all kinds of hits. Hell, we need a board of people non bias and start giving out suspensions. But then you'd need to have full control and people uploading hits. Then of course people would just say "it's the Ai." Even then, still suspend them. It would limit the hits people go for. I think it would have potential but thats just me.

Figured I'd throw my 2 cents into the injury jar...

Personally I feel like yes they happen way too frequently and should have been toned down. That being said, I think they are important to have for a few reasons:
1) Like Moojuice said, they are apart of being a GM and shuffling your rosters to adjust for injuries.
2) Injuries make it so that you do have to play somewhat cautious still. Take out injuries, and what's to keep you from flying straight at someone every play. Nothing. Oh sure, you might lose possession, but you don't have to worry about losing the player anymore. I don't know about everyone else, but I would say almost every injury I have seen (whether to my team or an opponent) has always happened on the puck carrier. There has to be some deterrent to keep you from just going in guns blazing... And I think injuries are just the thing.

As for goalies, I think coding it would be a little ridiculous especially when you look at a lot of today's goalies. For instance last season Jimmy Howard played all but 5 games during the first half of the season. One stretch going as far as 12-13 games. Then you have goalies like Rinne and Hiller who each played 73 games, with 4 of Rinne's rest days coming in March after the team had pretty much secured a playoff spot.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I always switch goalies. I think turning injuries off will just let the tigers loose for all kinds of hits. Hell, we need a board of people non bias and start giving out suspensions. But then you'd need to have full control and people uploading hits. Then of course people would just say "it's the Ai." Even then, still suspend them. It would limit the hits people go for. I think it would have potential but thats just me.[/QUOTE]

Just playing devil's advocate so hear me out: If there's no injuries then who cares if people go for big hits? If you're the type of player that always goes for the big hits then you're gonna deal with the consequences. You'll get penaltys called on you (yea not on every hit, but still you're gonna get some) or you'll put yourself out of position and give up an odd-man rush or a scoring chance.

Injuries do add realism to the game...WHEN THEY'RE DONE RIGHT. But in NHL13, they are not.

[quote name='Twick87']Just playing devil's advocate so hear me out: If there's no injuries then who cares if people go for big hits? If you're the type of player that always goes for the big hits then you're gonna deal with the consequences. You'll get penaltys called on you (yea not on every hit, but still you're gonna get some) or you'll put yourself out of position and give up an odd-man rush or a scoring chance.

Injuries do add realism to the game...WHEN THEY'RE DONE RIGHT. But in NHL13, they are not.[/QUOTE]

Some implies that penalties for illegal hits are called frequently, which they are not.

I know twick is playing devils advocate, but to add on to jza, there basically is no punishment for playing like a goon. The player getting hit gets hurt, and he doesn' draw a penalty either becuse the game seldom calls bording/charging.

Very true twick but then you take away my GM game where as I call players up or send them down or sign FA's or people off waivers. I mean for me thats the fun part anymore cause I can see guys grow- With no Injuries it makes no difference to me one bit and would mean that the draft would be useless in a sense for me.

[quote name='moojuice']I know twick is playing devils advocate, but to add on to jza, there basically is no punishment for playing like a goon. The player getting hit gets hurt, and he doesn' draw a penalty either becuse the game seldom calls bording/charging.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...and the sad thing is, there's nothing we can do about that. That's why to me, turning off injuries would at least soften the blow. You're going to get people (and the AI) going for those ridiculous hits no matter what (what ridiculous hits??? http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/141368083)

But at least if guys weren't getting hurt, maybe it would be more tolerable. And like Twick mentioned...it would take care of the "invalid roster" nonsense as well. Don't get me wrong. I would prefer injuries. But I'd also prefer penalties...and suspensions...and fatigue...and other things that should be filed under "realism" as well.

Ultimately, I hate to say it, but I feel like the only "solution" is playing within the settings of the game. What EA gave us is really GOON-HL 13, and the teams that play in this way (human controlled or otherwise) definitely find more success. I don't want to outright say "if you can't beat em, join em". But I feel trying to play this game any other way is just too frustrating.

Gary's suggestion of trying to monitor it and suspending people is just too hard to enforce. As he even admitted, people will just say it was their AI (which sometimes it is). So, if somebody starts really laying the hits on you, my best advice would just be to give it back to them. I don't want to tell anybody to start headhunting, but if that's the style of play that your opponent is bringing, you might as well. Trying to control the way this game plays is just not possible. The best we can do is try to adapt to it.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Very true twick but then you take away my GM game where as I call players up or send them down or sign FA's or people off waivers. I mean for me thats the fun part anymore cause I can see guys grow- With no Injuries it makes no difference to me one bit and would mean that the draft would be useless in a sense for me.[/QUOTE]

I can also see your point here...and I can definitely see it adding to the intrigue of overseeing a team. I think most of us are just trying to come up with a way to reduce the frustration of having guys injured due to seemingly innocent checks...and then turning around and seeing blatantly illegal hits not called. The balance just feels so out of whack. I'd love to tinker with some of the settings but I'm not even sure what could be accomplished since there are no actual sliders. And the last thing we need are CPU teams who are even better at passing by putting the game style on hardcore.

[quote name='jza1218']Some implies that penalties for illegal hits are called frequently, which they are not.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say they were called frequently, but they are called. In an average game I usually see 2 or 3 boarderline charging/hitting from behind penalties and in my experience it is called about 1 out of 6 times. Yea it should be called more, but think about it: if we started seeing this sort of hit 10-12 times per game, that'd be probably 2 or 3 penalties a game. Once people realized this they'd take more calculated risks as opposed to just taking every big hit they can.

That doesn't even take into account when you go for a big hit and miss and create an odd-man rush for the other team. I guess what I'm saying is I don't think it'd be that bad. Certainly better than what it is now with all the injuries.

And to the point about being GM and calling guys up...nothing is stopping you. If you want to call guys up to try and progress them you don't need injuries on to do that. No teams roster is good enough that vets can't be replaced with a rookie to gain experience and whatnot. I know there's about 5 or 6 guys just on my team that I could swap in a rookie and probably not notice a difference.

bread's done
Back