CAG's Eternal Champions! - Fighting Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
did decent at UMK3.

Xbox live redeems it, of course.

I've played a lot of smokes but none of them have been good. you know they're going for either the spear or the teleport punch. trading projectiles is always a good move with the spear throwers, and just bait the teleport punch, punish with an uppercut, bam, a winner is you!

haven't seen BustaUppa chime in on this yet...iirc, he's a pretty hardcore, tournament playing UMK3 fan (unless I'm mixing him up with someone else.)
Give us some tips!! :)

ah, and here's a recent Itagaki interview that's pretty epic, for a number of reasons:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154580

not sure about this graphics thing though...DOAX2 looks great, but the hair issue is still there and....shit, there's no RIGHT way to type this sentence...the girls don't really look like they're touching each other. you know, a collision thing. :lol: i dunno if it's a quirky japanese thing, but their movements and stuff in the new trailer just didn't look right at all.

[quote name='evanft']Fact: Soul Calibur 1 is an amazing game that still holds up today both in terms of gameplay and graphics.[/QUOTE]

I haven't played SC1 in forever, but I want to play it again sometime... God, I must've spent at least 100 hours on that game. fucking phenomenal.

[quote name='MarkMan']Yea, Reptile is awesome.... suprised I haven't seen that many Kabal's yet.[/QUOTE]

it seems kabal is toned down a lil, i'll have to check but i think his combo does less there than in the arcade

After playing a couple hours of KOF 2K6 (thanks to Apposum) I've realized Falcoons designs are a little to cool. Maybe it's not so much the designs but the attitude of the actual charcters, however the designs (which is Falcoon's fault) help convay this attitude.

For example all the poster boys: Kyo, Iori, Alba, K', Rock, Ash, have the silent, but cool attitude. Kinda boring. They all have that sleek style. I guess what I'm trying to say is there's to many serious characters already and not enough fun, orginal characters. They're all too pretty and perfect.

[quote name='MarkMan']Yea, Reptile is awesome.... suprised I haven't seen that many Kabal's yet.[/QUOTE]

Man, if reptile is good, then damn, do I suck. Time to educate myself.

are you kidding? second to smoke, I'm usually paired up with sindel or kabal players...

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']After playing a couple hours of KOF 2K6 (thanks to Apposum) I've realized Falcoons designs are a little to cool. Maybe it's not so much the designs but the attitude of the actual charcters, however the designs (which is Falcoon's fault) help convay this attitude.

For example all the poster boys: Kyo, Iori, Alba, K', Rock, Ash, have the silent, but cool attitude. Kinda boring. They all have that sleek style. I guess what I'm trying to say is there's to many serious characters already and not enough fun, orginal characters. They're all too pretty and perfect.[/QUOTE]

you forgot to add Seth and, Clark, and Ninon to the silent type. in a way, I think it's a good thing that some of these characters are quiet. Do you really want 4 or 5 additional characters like Mignon who are screaming throughout the entire match added to the game?

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Man, if reptile is good, then damn, do I suck. Time to educate myself.

are you kidding? second to smoke, I'm usually paired up with sindel or kabal players...[/QUOTE]

Sindel, really? I haven't played a single one yet. hey, tried getting back to ya about playing a game but I guess you were busy. I usually have my notifications off cause they screw me up in Lumines.

and the fun of negative feedback in fighting games on XBL continues. 31% prefer me, 61% complained that I was overly aggressive, trash talking (never have my mic on) and dropping (???) :lol: Don't win in fighting games...it'll destroy your XBL-cred, which is important in securing jobs and getting into school in the future.

[quote name='Apossum']Sindel, really? I haven't played a single one yet. hey, tried getting back to ya about playing a game but I guess you were busy. I usually have my notifications off cause they screw me up in Lumines.

and the fun of negative feedback in fighting games on XBL continues. 31% prefer me, 61% complained that I was overly aggressive, trash talking (never have my mic on) and dropping (???) :lol: Don't win in fighting games...it'll destroy your XBL-cred, which is important in securing jobs and getting into school in the future.[/QUOTE]

yeah, sorry for bailing. Though I did get some games in with Jim... good stuff, though I suck.

winning willd efinitly screw you over... and yes, I officially hate E.Honda and Smoke now.

[quote name='Apossum']haven't seen BustaUppa chime in on this yet...iirc, he's a pretty hardcore, tournament playing UMK3 fan (unless I'm mixing him up with someone else.)
Give us some tips!! :)http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3154580[/QUOTE]Dude, it's killing me to not have a 360 right now!

My honest recommendations for UMK3: don't even bother with single player. Simple, cheap A.I. that can only be reliably defeated with simple, cheap patterns. Learning to beat the CPU will do NOTHING to improve your game against human players! I mean go ahead and get the single-player achievements, sure, but the CPU experience is far and away the worst element of this game.

For the record, here's a great thread where MK guru Shock breaks down exactly how the A.I. works: http://ultimatemk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=114

Other general comments of what I've seen here so far:

- Reptile's elbow dash is indeed the key to unlocking his huge combo potential! Most novice players forget this move even exists. An expert Reptile player (which I am not) can extend juggles like crazy with that move. Observe shock kicking my ass with this move, in spectacular fashion (the finishing combo is truly something to behold):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEdGQIbDxG0[/media]

A much simpler way to improve your Reptile game is to understand how the time limit on his forceball works. Basically, you can throw them out nonstop if you alternate between the fast and slow versions. So if you switch off between f,f,HP+LP and b,b,+HP+LP, you can really keep a long-distance opponent at bay. Watch out for teleporters or Nightwolf though (two reflected forceballs = nastiness!)

- Kabal's combo damage was toned down in UMK3. Not sure if they adjusted it further for the XBLA release, but it was reduced in Ultimate from the original MK3. He still rules the top tier with an iron fist, though.

- if you haven't been incorporating the run button, learn to use it!!!!! The best counter to a whiffed move is almost always running in with an autocombo. If you knock someone down, try rushing in and putting the pressure on as soon as he gets up.

- make a habit of holding BACK constantly. This will block a throw in any situation. Even if you are frozen, speared, or whatever, if you hold back you cannot be thrown (this rule does not apply to the CPU, hmm how bout that!).

I guess I should go to bed or something now, but you called it Apossum, I had to chime in on this! Man I'm hoping I can get on the 360 train sooner rather than later here. FOUR-PLAYER ROOMS... DAMMIT!!!!!

HOLY SHIT, that vid is awesome. I don't think anyone can play like that on live because of the slight input delay...I'm sure you'd find that the game is crippled by this (so don't feel too bad about not having the 360 ;) ) not sure if it's my connection but I miss lots of opportunities to punish because of the slight lag on live. it's slower going from the block animation into any move...too slow to react quickly imo.

but damn, I have never seen UMK3 played like that before. that was ridiculous.

thanks for the tips...I was wondering about how to block throws (now I can beat those turds who run>throw the whole match!) Got any good Kitana strats?

[quote name='gigan54']you forgot to add Seth and, Clark, and Ninon to the silent type. in a way, I think it's a good thing that some of these characters are quiet. Do you really want 4 or 5 additional characters like Mignon who are screaming throughout the entire match added to the game?[/QUOTE]

Well, it always has the Japanese dubbing.

And my point is not that they have enough speaking parts, rather they have too much alike in personality. What if I want a slow dumb guy, or a nerdy dude. Sometime picking the minority makes the game. Look at Dan. They could've at least put Shingo in it.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Well, it always has the Japanese dubbing.

And my point is not that they have enough speaking parts, rather they have too much alike in personality. What if I want a slow dumb guy, or a nerdy dude. Sometime picking the minority makes the game. Look at Dan. They could've at least put Shingo in it.[/QUOTE]

I see what you mean, and agree. most of the characters think they're too cool to even be in the game.

now as for the nerdy guys, would hyena count? I find him to be the Dan of KOF 2k6. and I love the way he can charge up his meter mimicking a fish.

[quote name='Apossum']HOLY SHIT, that vid is awesome. I don't think anyone can play like that on live because of the slight input delay...I'm sure you'd find that the game is crippled by this (so don't feel too bad about not having the 360 ;) ) not sure if it's my connection but I miss lots of opportunities to punish because of the slight lag on live. it's slower going from the block animation into any move...too slow to react quickly imo.

but damn, I have never seen UMK3 played like that before. that was ridiculous.

thanks for the tips...I was wondering about how to block throws (now I can beat those turds who run>throw the whole match!) Got any good Kitana strats?[/QUOTE]With Kitana, a good keepaway strategy is to jump back and then throw a fan as close to the ground as possible; this is much safer than throwing the fan while standing because the long recovery time leaves you open to a jump-in combo starter. So just keep in mind that throwing them while standing is much less safe.

Rush in with her knee-lift combo to catch a crouching opponent ("knee-lift" combos start with HK and will hit crouching opponents), or go for her higher-damage punch combo if you get an air starter (jumping punch or straight-up jumpkick) or if you catch them wide open (HP,HP,b+LP,f+HP).

If you start to scout your opponent's jumps, nail them with the square punch (d,b,HP). You can also use this move for an extra hit when a fan throw catches the opponent in midair. Or for higher risk, go for the Fan Lift (b,b,b,HP) but this leaves you open for a long time if it misses.

As far as input delay goes, I'm used to playing on Kaillera, so I imagine I'd be unphased by in on the 360. If anything, I'd expect this one to be a lot smoother, since we're dealing with standardized hardware across the board. Actually I think it's the controller that would throw me off more than anything else. I think my order of controller preference for UMK3 is something like: Joystick > Keyboard > DDR mat > gamepad. I really just don't like gamepads for UMK3! I like having all my fingers available for the attack buttons, instead of just my thumb. If I want to, say, charge LK with Kano and then run in with a combo, this gets very awkward with a gamepad. I really hope Microsoft allows more 3rd party controllers soon!

Or for higher risk, go for the Fan Lift (b,b,b,HP) but this leaves you open for a long time if it misses.

I'd guess you would have to be right up close to them when the fan hits to get this to work. I'll try out some of that stuff tonight-- the knee lift combos should be a huge help.

rolento-- nice work on the cliffyb/itagaki thread. I wonder how many posts it'll end up with. it already fits the typical team ninja bashing template perfectly.
we've got: "doa sux" "itagaki's a total asshole" "he has only made 1 good game" and "what's that stuff on his face" :lol:

[quote name='gigan54']I see what you mean, and agree. most of the characters think they're too cool to even be in the game.

now as for the nerdy guys, would hyena count? I find him to be the Dan of KOF 2k6. and I love the way he can charge up his meter mimicking a fish.[/QUOTE]

I haven't unlocked Hyena yet, but he's the ugly guy with a big red nose right? I do like how my two favorite fighters in video game history made the transition to 3D, Geese and Billy Kane. Although they were both in Wild Ambition, but this is much better. The boob physics in this one are almost scary. It's like they're made out of water.

Rolento - Got done reading your Itagaki vs Cliffy B thread. Good stuff.

Hey - I am sure this is probably breaking the rules of the CAG board - but I am selling alot of rare Capcom and SNK fighting games over in CAG trading.

It's my only thread in there - **FS: Hidden Gems...**

- If you're interested.

[quote name='asianxcore']BustaUppa, awesome Reptile vid.

Also is the unlockable UMK 3 only on the special edition of MK: Armageddon, or is it on all versions?[/QUOTE]Only on the special edition, which in turn is only on PS2. I guess Microsoft just wants all its customers to go for the XBLA version.

Also let me re-clarify that I was the person GETTING owned by Reptile in that vid, not the other way around :D I just posted it to show an impressive display of Reptile's abilities. However, I was proud to be beaten by one of the most spectacular combos ever executed in actual gameplay!

[quote name='craab']Hey - I am sure this is probably breaking the rules of the CAG board - but I am selling alot of rare Capcom and SNK fighting games over in CAG trading.

It's my only thread in there - **FS: Hidden Gems...**

- If you're interested.[/QUOTE]

What are they? I'm looking for a couple game myself. You can always just create a topic in the trading forums.

[quote name='Apossum']rolento-- nice work on the cliffyb/itagaki thread. I wonder how many posts it'll end up with. it already fits the typical team ninja bashing template perfectly.
we've got: "doa sux" "itagaki's a total asshole" "he has only made 1 good game" and "what's that stuff on his face" :lol:[/QUOTE]Goddamn good-for-nothing DOA trolls.

Itagaki really stinks.

[quote name='B:L']Goddamn good-for-nothing DOA trolls.

Itagaki really stinks.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure I'm a one man army.

[quote name='Chacrana']You are not a one man army.[/QUOTE]

This is the perfect time for a mom joke.

[quote name='Apossum']I'd guess you would have to be right up close to them when the fan hits to get this to work. I'll try out some of that stuff tonight-- the knee lift combos should be a huge help.

rolento-- nice work on the cliffyb/itagaki thread. I wonder how many posts it'll end up with. it already fits the typical team ninja bashing template perfectly.
we've got: "doa sux" "itagaki's a total asshole" "he has only made 1 good game" and "what's that stuff on his face" :lol:[/QUOTE]

I was expecting that. Part of the reason for making the thread was for me to know who to not add to my friends list on XBL. So far i'm having fun with it :) CaseyRayback needs a reality check seriously though.

[quote name='Chacrana']....kinda.[/QUOTE]

"your mom says I am"

damn, I killed it. :lol:

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']your mom is 90's hot.[/QUOTE]

your dad is a reptile that turns into a monkey.

in other words, your dad kicks ass!

[quote name='Apossum']I'm pretty sure I'm a one man army.[/QUOTE]

You do not stand alone, BROTHER.

Rolento:That was my brother you were playing earlier. I'm much, much, much better than him (not tryin to sound cool or anything, just explaining why I didn't voice chat and picked weird characters).

Nice REPTILE vid. I don't play Reptile on XBL cause of the slight input delay previously mentioned. It makes the elbow dash combos to hard. He is one of my better characters though. (Also Busta, was that recorded at the Break?)

Played Rob Sigley earlier, he's pretty damn good. Beat me 3 out of 4 times if I remember correctly. I was extremely hungover, in my defense :D

[quote name='jimfoley16']You do not stand alone, BROTHER.

Rolento:That was my brother you were playing earlier. I'm much, much, much better than him (not tryin to sound cool or anything, just explaining why I didn't voice chat and picked weird characters).

Nice REPTILE vid. I don't play Reptile on XBL cause of the slight input delay previously mentioned. It makes the elbow dash combos to hard. He is one of my better characters though. (Also Busta, was that recorded at the Break?)

Played Rob Sigley earlier, he's pretty damn good. Beat me 3 out of 4 times if I remember correctly. I was extremely hungover, in my defense :D[/QUOTE]

either your brother is really good, or I still suck. I'll have to have a throw down with him again or you sometime soon.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']either your brother is really good, or I still suck. I'll have to have a throw down with him again or you sometime soon.[/QUOTE]

lol my bro doesn't play much, but yea he's aight

And yea, lets throw down whenever yo

[quote name='jimfoley16']Nice REPTILE vid. I don't play Reptile on XBL cause of the slight input delay previously mentioned. It makes the elbow dash combos to hard. He is one of my better characters though. (Also Busta, was that recorded at the Break?)[/QUOTE]Yeeeeeeah that was the break alright! We did tons of 2-on-2 matches that day... with the machine set to Free Play ;)

I haven't been playing UMK3 on XBL cuz man I am horrendous with the DPAD... I've been practicin, but I think I'll just mod one of my 360 sticks :/

THEY EITHER NEED TO PATCH the game to allow button config or something.. :(

Been practicin' Kung Lao cheese and Human Smokeness...

[quote name='jimfoley16']

EDIT2: Chacrana, I know you love getting a laugh out of RegalSin. Do yourself a favor and read this post. It might be the best one he ever made (which is saying ALOT).
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2009787&postcount=21

Just hilarious for SO, SO many reasons. Not just the prices of the games (his estimates) but the overall zaniness of it, the engRish, the ridicilously stupid things he says....

Anyone put some time into Samurai Shodown V for the Xbox? I just picked it up last week and have to wonder what the hell happened? Game seems very " clunky " to me. Seeing as how I have not played a SS for years, since it was last on the Game Gear, I have to say I was not at all impressed with this one at all. Kinda bumed me out seeing as how I want to get back into 2d fighters but this one to me is pretty bad.

[quote name='BustaUppa']Yeeeeeeah that was the break alright! We did tons of 2-on-2 matches that day... with the machine set to Free Play ;)[/QUOTE]
Nice! Let me know if you guys are all meeting up again anytime soon at the Break or elsewhere. I could use some ass kickings, it'd help me to get better no doubt.

[quote name='MarkMan']I haven't been playing UMK3 on XBL cuz man I am horrendous with the DPAD... I've been practicin, but I think I'll just mod one of my 360 sticks :/

THEY EITHER NEED TO PATCH the game to allow button config or something.. :(

Been practicin' Kung Lao cheese and Human Smokeness...[/QUOTE]
Yea they do! It's ridicilous! Reminds me though, I gotta send you a friend request MM. I'm down for some UMK whenever you are.

[quote name='Apossum']my mind is blown. he has out done himself once again.

Jim-- we should get some umk3 matches in sometime![/QUOTE]
Definately. I saw you on (yesterday I think) but I was in the middle of my chase for the 100 ranked wins achievement, so I didn't bother hosting a game. Now that I have that, I'm down for some casual games whenever.We should try and get a 4 player CAG fighter thread only room going. I'll be on around 10 -11 PM EST tonight, and will probably end up staying on till 2-3 in the AM. Anyone of you guys feel free to hit me up for some games.
[quote name='LostRoad']Anyone put some time into Samurai Shodown V for the Xbox? I just picked it up last week and have to wonder what the hell happened? Game seems very " clunky " to me. Seeing as how I have not played a SS for years, since it was last on the Game Gear, I have to say I was not at all impressed with this one at all. Kinda bumed me out seeing as how I want to get back into 2d fighters but this one to me is pretty bad.[/QUOTE]
I think SSV is kinda okay. It's not the best, has some pretty cheesy stuff, but it's competent enough as a fighter. I'm not a fan of Sam Sho VI at all (one of my least favorite fighters, as a matter of fact) but I think V plays okay. I still like 3 the best though.

For a decent Xbox fighter, check out Capcom vs. SNK 2: EO or Street Fighter Anniversary Collection. Easily the 2 best fighters on the box (Guilty Gear #r isn't to bad either).

[quote name='LostRoad']Anyone put some time into Samurai Shodown V for the Xbox? I just picked it up last week and have to wonder what the hell happened? Game seems very " clunky " to me. Seeing as how I have not played a SS for years, since it was last on the Game Gear, I have to say I was not at all impressed with this one at all. Kinda bumed me out seeing as how I want to get back into 2d fighters but this one to me is pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

I played it alot about a year ago when it first came out. It was a lot of fun for about a month when people were on X-Box live. (I managed to rank #6 but I think I slipped due to me not playing.) The SamShow series has always been fairly slow and not very "combo" driven. Not that it's a bad thing. From what I've heard Samurai Showdown Tenka and VI are great improvements over V. For one they brought back good ol' Wan Fu:

sswan.jpg

If you wanna get back into 2D fighters try to find Street Fighter Collection

If anyone is interested, Vampire (Darkstalker) collection is only $34.90 for a limited time at Play Asia, a $15 savings.

I didn't want to spend $50 on the game, but $35 sounds alot nicer.

I really have to give props to Play Asia for all these sales lately.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']

If you wanna get back into 2D fighters try to find Street Fighter Collection[/quote]

I would but I have had 3rd strike for the DC and Alpha 3 for the ps1 since they came out, and to be honest I really do not see how SF could get any better than those two games. In a odd way those two games killed SF for me, I just can not see any other SF being better than those.

[quote name='Roufuss']If anyone is interested, Vampire (Darkstalker) collection is only $34.90 for a limited time at Play Asia[/QUOTE]

Great deal. I paid $50 for it and I don't regret it at all.

The collection was actually the reason why I decided to get my PS2 to play imports.

Also I agree with Apossum, I wish Melty Blood was a little cheaper.

I played a little bit of the Darkstalkers game that came out on the PSP and I liked it... but I'm not quite sure if I want to get this PS2 compilation (I sold off the PSP game 'coz the loading times made me want to strangle bitches.) Is this really a necessarily collection like SFA Anthology or SFAC, or is it more of just a nice thing to have rather than a game I need to own as a fighting fan?

If you're a fan of the series, I'd say get it.

Less than a month til' we get arcade perfect Super Street Fighter II Turbo!

Capcom Classics Collection 2!

[quote name='MarkMan']If you're a fan of the series, I'd say get it.

Less than a month til' we get arcade perfect Super Street Fighter II Turbo!

Capcom Classics Collection 2![/QUOTE]

I dunno if I'm a fan of the series though since I really haven't played any Darkstalkers apart from the PSP one.

But yeah... CCC 2 = Awesome. I cannot fucking wait for that. Arcade perfect SSF2T sounds too good to be true, but everyone I've talked to has said that Capcom finally did it... and it'll be nice to have Strider on a console now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back