California wants online retailers to collect taxes

[quote name='testaroo']They = Legislatures and Jerry Brown.
We are going to go through same shitty crap next year. More tax and more fee hikes b/c for unexpected(?) revenue decline. I tell you this State needs to go bankrupt before any serious spending cut or pension reform will ever be implemented.[/QUOTE]

Yes, because pensions and unions caused the recession and ruined housing prices. Banks and Wall Street had nothing to do with it. Good Lord, people repeat Fox News and talk radio right wing talking points so much they become blinded to facts and reality. Education, law enforcement and benefits ARE being cut all over, so I'm sorry if you have to pay a few bucks more on a video game now and again. It's called shared sacrifice.

I'm a Californian and if this takes effect it will suck, however I'm also rational enough to know that we're all supposed to be declaring and paying sales tax on these purchases already. It's the law but it can't be enforced so we've gotten a good deal over the years. If this goes into effect I'll be most likely limiting some impulse purchases but Amazon is still damn good at price matching and undercutting B&M's and will still be using them quite frequently.

BTW- it's not just "liberal" California who's passing these types of laws, Arkansas also did it and Texas tried, but Amazon moved it's warehouses out of state in reaction. Illinois also already passed a similar law but Amazon did the same thing and cut it's affiliates there.

CA possibly getting taxed aside, for those of you bitching about the immigration problem shouldn't be angry at them but at CA and the USA for allowing and giving as much as they do to all illegal immigrants. You want to stop immigration stop luring them in, simple as that but if they want citizenship they need to work for it and earn it.

[quote name='lawdood']
snip

BTW- it's not just "liberal" California who's passing these types of laws, Arkansas also did it and Texas tried, but Amazon moved it's warehouses out of state in reaction. Illinois also already passed a similar law but Amazon did the same thing and cut it's affiliates there.[/QUOTE]

So, do people in Illinois pay tax on Amazon purchases?

(As a consumer in CA, I just want to know what to expect on Friday considering the new law and Amazon's response in cutting affiliates here)

[quote name='skiizim']CA possibly getting taxed aside, for those of you bitching about the immigration problem shouldn't be angry at them but at CA and the USA for allowing and giving as much as they do to all illegal immigrants. You want to stop immigration stop luring them in, simple as that but if they want citizenship they need to work for it and earn it.[/QUOTE]

Not to get this sidetracked but the #1 industry in California is agriculture. Most of those huge corporate agricultural conglomerates employ many illegal immigrants to get their products from the fields to the dinner table. Same goes for the meat industry and construction industry. If the government REALLY wanted to do something about illegal immigration, they'd crack down on the employers (they're really easy to find) and heavily fine/ jail them. But, those people are their campaign contributors so it's much easier to make the public angry and lash out at the brown people since they have no money or power.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']So, do people in Illinois pay tax on Amazon purchases?

(As a consumer in CA, I just want to know what to expect on Friday considering the new law and Amazon's response in cutting affiliates here)[/QUOTE]

No, because Amazon dumped all their affiliates there like they're apparently doing in California. Without a physical presence in a state, The SCOTUS has ruled that companies need not collect state sales tax.

[quote name='lawdood']No, because Amazon dumped all their affiliates there like they're apparently doing in California. Without a physical presence in a state, The SCOTUS has ruled that companies need not collect state sales tax.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the explanation. Huh, so I guess CA isn't going to be collecting the $200 million the state was expecting to get from this... while simultaneously screwing the affiliates into moving elsewhere.

EDIT: I'll need to go and read the law that Jerry Brown just signed. I find it hard to believe that the state government didn't predict Amazon's response, since, like, Amazon did the exact same thing in Illinois.

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the whole "nobody want's to do the job thing" and I am not complaining about anybody that wants to work. People need to understand though just because you enter this country illegally does not entitle you to anything it has to offer to it's citizens.

[quote name='Spokker']They just passed a budget that decimates public colleges, social services and other state-supported functions. You are getting the cuts you want.[/QUOTE]

I never said I was for those cuts to the degrees that the legislature did them, especially in light of redundancies and useless money gobbling bureaucracies they could have cut. Thanks for playing though.

[quote name='GizmoGC']And by not stopping your grandfather how many more illegals did he spawn?

In reality, they should just deport them, and if caught again, tossed into prison for life. No one has the right to break the law over and over again and have nothing happen to them. I get a $500 ticket for running a red light, and an illegal gets nothings. Oh, well, a bunch of free shit.

I hate California. This place is 75% illegals now and as soon as I can, I'm outta here.[/QUOTE]

Wow. What a racist, pointless, off topic post. I feel embarrassed knowing you post on CAG.

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']Thanks for the explanation. Huh, so I guess CA isn't going to be collecting the $200 million the state was expecting to get from this... while simultaneously screwing the affiliates into moving elsewhere.

EDIT: I'll need to go and read the law that Jerry Brown just signed. I find it hard to believe that the state government didn't predict Amazon's response, since, like, Amazon did the exact same thing in Illinois.[/QUOTE]

This. And California is already collecting tax from the number 2 internet retailer, newegg

[quote name='62t']This. And California is already collecting tax from the number 2 internet retailer, newegg[/QUOTE]
Newegg I get, they have a warehouse in Whitter, I believe it's their main one. Not to far from where I live.

[quote name='GizmoGC']And by not stopping your grandfather how many more illegals did he spawn?[/quote]Zero? His offspring (of which there were two) became American citizens upon birth.

In reality, they should just deport them, and if caught again, tossed into prison for life.
Do you know how much California spends on prisons? Can we afford to spend even more?

I hate California. This place is 75% illegals now and as soon as I can, I'm outta here.
Well, not quite. The best estimates I have seen put it at 4-6.8 percent.

The good news is that illegals will be paying sales tax on their Amazon.com purchases, as they do for most of their purchases, on top of the $7 billion they pay into social security that they cannot collect on.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/illegal-immigrants-paying-taxes-621300.html

General Electric, however, paid zero.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/business/economy/25tax.html

[quote name='GizmoGC']And by not stopping your grandfather how many more illegals did he spawn?

In reality, they should just deport them, and if caught again, tossed into prison for life. No one has the right to break the law over and over again and have nothing happen to them. I get a $500 ticket for running a red light, and an illegal gets nothings. Oh, well, a bunch of free shit.

I hate California. This place is 75% illegals now and as soon as I can, I'm outta here.[/QUOTE]

I'd take 10 illegals in california over 1 of something as ignorant as you.

[quote name='Donutkid2222']Newegg I get, they have a warehouse in Whitter, I believe it's their main one. Not to far from where I live.[/QUOTE]

City of Industry, actually. And they even do will-call. It's one reason why I ordered from Newegg over Amazon, despite not being charged sales tax on Amazon.

[quote name='confoosious']I'd take 10 illegals in california over 1 of something as ignorant as you.[/QUOTE]

Good. You can pay the taxes on all 10 of them who don't pay taxes in the first place.

Like some other people have said: there's no doubt Amazon is going to fight this. Step one is to drop all the affiliates. Step two will be to get an injunction...and well, you know the rest.

I can see this e-tailer tax issue becoming a SCOTUS case in a few years; more clarity is definitely needed.

[quote name='Spokker']Zero? His offspring (of which there were two) became American citizens upon birth.[/quote]

Yep, only in American will they do that.

Do you know how much California spends on prisons? Can we afford to spend even more?

Well, not quite. The best estimates I have seen put it at 4-6.8 percent.

The good news is that illegals will be paying sales tax on their Amazon.com purchases, as they do for most of their purchases, on top of the $7 billion they pay into social security that they cannot collect on.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/illegal-immigrants-paying-taxes-621300.html

General Electric, however, paid zero.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/25/business/economy/25tax.html

Amazon won't be charging tax. They dropped their affiliates.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Good. You can pay the taxes on all 10 of them who don't pay taxes in the first place.[/QUOTE]

That is actually an ignorant comment on itself, it's pretty impossible to not pay taxes in any form unless you don't spend money.

[quote name='Spokker']More information on illegal immigrants and taxes.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...cumented_unlike_rich_pay_plenty_in_taxes.html[/QUOTE]

They pay taxes for the money they make on the side? Or what about all the free welfare and such they get for popping out numerous kids? $900 for a root canal for me, with insurance, but free for them.

Sadly, California will only get worse as they refuse to answer the big question in fear of not getting the votes from that certain race. It's a shame, but I've come to expect it as California sinks deeper and deeper into debt thanks to the extreme illegal immigration. That's why we continue to get taxes increases, fees etc. And it will continue to be the reason why people leave California.

[quote name='GizmoGC']They pay taxes for the money they make on the side? Or what about all the free welfare and such they get for popping out numerous kids? $900 for a root canal for me, with insurance, but free for them.

Sadly, California will only get worse as they refuse to answer the big question in fear of not getting the votes from that certain race. It's a shame, but I've come to expect it as California sinks deeper and deeper into debt thanks to the extreme illegal immigration. That's why we continue to get taxes increases, fees etc. And it will continue to be the reason why people leave California.[/QUOTE]

You're a prime example of the fact that every good politician needs someone to blame the ills of the world on. And all the mouth breathing morons will eat it up and regurgitate it like gospel.

:applause:

[quote name='skiizim']That is actually an ignorant comment on itself, it's pretty impossible to not pay taxes in any form unless you don't spend money.[/QUOTE]

You are not familiar with them sending money to their own Country? Paying taxes on little things here and there is nothing compared to not paying taxes on their "income" they get on the side and all the money that gets spent for free health care, welfare etc since they popped out a few kids.

Back in 2008, it cost California nearly 9 Billion. Nothing to sneeze about. But, like I said, it'll never stop as the head honchos are too fearful of their every growing numbers.

So yay, more taxes for us!

[quote name='will530']Like some other people have said: there's no doubt Amazon is going to fight this. Step one is to drop all the affiliates. Step two will be to get an injunction...and well, you know the rest.

I can see this e-tailer tax issue becoming a SCOTUS case in a few years; more clarity is definitely needed.[/QUOTE]

They'll fight hard for California. Don't think it'll matter though. Lots of people just got fried. Go Jerry!!! :roll:

Your argument is very biased, everybody in this world has the right to try to better there life in any shape or form. I am not disagreeing with you being angry with the problem we have here, especially in California during these hard times. Only a handful of states really know how it is but there should be some kind of reform. Illegal immigrants are not the only people abusing the system as do many citizens of this country.

[quote name='skiizim']Your argument is very biased, everybody in this world has the right to try to better there life in any shape or form. I am not disagreeing with you being angry with the problem we have here, especially in California, especially during these hard times. Only a handful of states really know how it is but there should be some kind of reform. Illegal immigrants are not the only people abusing the system as do many citizens of this country.[/QUOTE]

Right to better your life by illegally breaking into another Country? I'd like to better myself by driving a BMW but I don't plan on stealing one.

Sadly, things will only get worse for California. There is no stopping the problem anymore.

[quote name='confoosious']California is gonna be so much better after you leave. Do make haste.[/QUOTE]

Why is that? All the illegals suddenly going to pay taxes on their under the table income? You do know that's the reason why California is in shambles, right?

[quote name='GizmoGC']Why is that? All the illegals suddenly going to pay taxes on their under the table income? You do know that's the reason why California is in shambles, right?[/QUOTE]

Dude, turn off the talk radio and Fox News and do all us Californians a favor and leave the state. Your ignorance and hate does no one any good, most of all yourself.

Because even though you are merely 1 moron in a sea of ignorance, that any decrease in the number of ignorant morons makes our state better. And I fully support the exodus of people like you.

I highly encourage you to relocate. Also, bring your friends. Please. Thanks.

Doesn't surprise me how short-sighted my state's government has been lately. I still say we canonize the lot of them ala Simpsons. Considering how litigious this state is though I smell a class action suit against the state government over loss revenue or other such fun in the making.

This kind of nonsense makes me want to renew my passion and vigor to become a political contender but then again honor, honesty, and knights are not welcome in today's political world, but I am a loon...

[quote name='lawdood']Yes, because pensions and unions caused the recession and ruined housing prices. Banks and Wall Street had nothing to do with it. Good Lord, people repeat Fox News and talk radio right wing talking points so much they become blinded to facts and reality. Education, law enforcement and benefits ARE being cut all over, so I'm sorry if you have to pay a few bucks more on a video game now and again. It's called shared sacrifice.

I'm a Californian and if this takes effect it will suck, however I'm also rational enough to know that we're all supposed to be declaring and paying sales tax on these purchases already. It's the law but it can't be enforced so we've gotten a good deal over the years. If this goes into effect I'll be most likely limiting some impulse purchases but Amazon is still damn good at price matching and undercutting B&M's and will still be using them quite frequently.

BTW- it's not just "liberal" California who's passing these types of laws, Arkansas also did it and Texas tried, but Amazon moved it's warehouses out of state in reaction. Illinois also already passed a similar law but Amazon did the same thing and cut it's affiliates there.[/QUOTE]

Nice post.

I do most of my shopping at Amazon, but I won't cry when the day they start collecting tax comes. No one likes paying taxes, but fair competition is good for consumers in the long run.

I'm still wondering what was the point of passing a bill that is so easily side-stepped. Especially considering it hasn't worked in other states and seems to only has a negative impact.

[quote name='confoosious']Because even though you are merely 1 moron in a sea of ignorance, that any decrease in the number of ignorant morons makes our state better. And I fully support the exodus of people like you.

I highly encourage you to relocate. Also, bring your friends. Please. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

And I fully support shipping all the illegals who flood American to be shipped back or locked up. You seem fine with paying for them, not me. Not others either.

[quote name='lawdood']Dude, turn off the talk radio and Fox News and do all us Californians a favor and leave the state. Your ignorance and hate does no one any good, most of all yourself.[/QUOTE]

Ignorance? Over what? I find it hilarious how you seem fine with paying for a bunch of people who did illegal things - and continue to every. single day. Hate? Over what? Not wanting to pay for illegals spawn who have no right to be here in the first place? How schools are now overrun? Roads overrun? No thanks.

Ahh yes, because I'm now racist. I never once mentioned a race. But I guess it's not too tough to figure out which one has the greatest amount of illegals running around in California.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Ignorance? Over what? I find it hilarious how you seem fine with paying for a bunch of people who did illegal things - and continue to every. single day. Hate? Over what? Not wanting to pay for illegals spawn who have no right to be here in the first place? How schools are now overrun? Roads overrun? No thanks.

Ahh yes, because I'm now racist. I never once mentioned a race. But I guess it's not too tough to figure out which one has the greatest amount of illegals running around in California.[/QUOTE]

Gizmo...you are spot on.
I love how people who are uninformed always play the race card.

Gizmo, they keep putting you down but they haven't proved where you're wrong. It's fact that illegals cost Cali a grip. I don't see why that is such a no-no to say.

I grew up and lived most of my life in Cali and 90% of my friends were Mexican so I'm the most unbiased person you'll meet. But I'm also a realist. Illegals hurt Cali. Although, Giz, we disagree on how illegals should be handled and I'm not as hateful as you towards them. They just want a better life.

His comments are still ignorant, I'm not disagreeing with the fact that the state is overrun with illegal immigrants but he is getting mad at the problem and not the problem that is making them still come and stay. Get rid of all social programs to non-citizens, easy as that but politicians are a bunch of wimps that don't want to bring this up or support it to the end. If these people want to come here and do the jobs that most of us don't want to do and earn there citizenship instead of imposing is the best way. Not unlike the talk they were having of just legalizing everybody for the third time (guessing).

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']nope Texas is still the best! No tax from newegg, amazon, buy.com, etc.[/QUOTE]

You get trumped by Oregon. No Sales Tax period. Internet or in store.

I'm just fine with paying sales tax. I live in Washington and have been taxed the whole time. I would rather pay a voluntary sales tax then a mandatory income tax.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Ignorance? Over what? I find it hilarious how you seem fine with paying for a bunch of people who did illegal things - and continue to every. single day. Hate? Over what? Not wanting to pay for illegals spawn who have no right to be here in the first place? How schools are now overrun? Roads overrun? No thanks.

Ahh yes, because I'm now racist. I never once mentioned a race. But I guess it's not too tough to figure out which one has the greatest amount of illegals running around in California.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mention race...defensive much? I think you're just an ignorant a-hole instead. Is that better?

Where's your anger at the corporations who hire them? Why do people who think like you direct all your anger at the brown people and none at the Americans who give them jobs and entice them to come here? Where's your demanding jail time for them?

if the breaking of the law is what you're actually so pissed about where's the same hate and anger at the people who aren't paying sales tax on their Amazon purchases yet by law are supposed to be claiming it on their state income taxes? They're costing the state hunderds of millions yet you seem to have no problem with them.

And how come people like you refuse to look at the fact that these undocumented workers also PAY taxes in California which actually wipe out much of this debt you claim they incur as objective study after study has proven? Or that many of the jobs they do in the agriculture industry, which contributes BILLIONS to the California economy, won't be done by citizens?

You're ignorant because you refuse to look rationally and use critical thinking skills regarding the immigration problem and would rather just rely on your emotions and prejudices to come to conclusions influenced by the biased media you watch and listen to designed to play directly upon simpletons such as yourself.

Good day.

Unfortunately, even if Amazon gets rid of their affiliates, this tax is still most likely going to be enacted on purchases from them. Reading the Sac Bee this morning, it mentioned that Amazon has several subsidiaries in CA including one in Cupertino which helps manufacture the Kindle. So they will still have a physical presence in the state with or without their affiliates.

I support amnesty, give this people the right paper work so they can work here legaly and can pay taxes, and for those people been here legaly do your self a favor, start earning a degree in college and stop competing with this people complaining they lost their job because of them, believe me its pays to be educated. Now about complaining school overun and road over run is lol, im not that low and ignorant so i just lol at that. I love to be in California.

[quote name='lawdood']
You're ignorant because you refuse to look rationally and use critical thinking skills regarding the immigration problem and would rather just rely on some talk radio hosts' emotions and prejudices.
[/QUOTE]

that's all that needed to be said. What's funny about people who are easily influenced by hate mongering radio is that they're like the stormtroopers and the hosts are obiwan kenobi. The jedi mind trick only works on the weak minded.

bread's done
Back