Call of Duty Black OPS

[quote name='moojuice']You said more high tech than MW2, which hell no, this stuff isn't more high tech. All the stuff you listed is actually pretty primitive compared to today's technology.[/QUOTE]
hes not bright just let him win this argument

$20 gift card sounds nice, But I'm always a sucker for avatar stuff. so tempting though.
Gonna go with the Gift Card. I know this has been asked to death but, If I put it in my cart and buy it. The Credit Card doesn't get charged till release date correct?

I wasn't hyped for this game by any stretch of the imagination even after hearing about the well warranted disappearance of Commando (fucking hated it) until I caught the MP preview earlier today. Damn happy about being able to practice up on bots while getting a feel for maps (mainly choke, spawn and camp points) instead of jumping into it completely clueless. If I can find a good deal or this around $40 somehow then I'm all in.

I originally wasn't going to get this (MW2 made me hate CoD lol) but after watching the trailers I can't wait until it comes out!

yeah im excited for this game. I thought the world at war maps were more fun than the MW2 maps. Hopefully treyarch can make some really good maps again. The one shown in recent videos looks pretty good.

Nice find Trak... I absolutely hate Halo from the gameplay side of things, but I am arms open to the various different enhancements they have made to the actual overall game (recorder, veto system).

[quote name='El1te']I originally wasn't going to get this (MW2 made me hate CoD lol) but after watching the trailers I can't wait until it comes out![/QUOTE]

Ditto ^^ i had exactly the same experience, I was completely opposed to COD after MW2 but black ops looks so insane its won me over. If this turns out to be another MW2 though I will completely lose interest in the cod series...forever....

[quote name='moojuice']Thank god.

*Finishes game of Estate*
*Wasteland is up next. Everybody votes to skip*
*Plays Estate again*

FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUU[/QUOTE]

LOL.

So true. You have to admit though there is nothing funnier than convincing an entire lobby to skip a shitty map only to hear groaning in unison when an even worse one replaces it.

If there is one thing the CoD series under activision's milking does well, it is to provide a fast, fun, and mindless shooter that for the first one or two months after release is really a blast to play. It is after that first month or so that things get stale, but luckily for us, it is usually within that very time frame another CoD game is announced. I picked this up with that Amazon deal so it is essentially $30. Seeing as how these games tend to retain their value, I figure I'll be able to sell it for atleast $30 2 months after release. Not a bad deal. Essentially a free 2 month rental.

Damn. Looks like they took it down. Wouldn't want people dropping their $20 credit from Halo and getting $20 more from this. :roll: Weak ass.

I, for one, cannot wait to play their version of GunGame and to play One In The Chamber.

If you've got the ol' 360, add me, and we can shoot em' up in November.

I'm not really a fan of COD after MW2 (played it on PC, day of release)... Though, the new features (bots, and coop, and the removal of certain perks...) are drawing me in. I have never played a COD game on the 360, though, and I've heard awful and horrible stories. Not to mention all of the little kids and jackasses. (what the HELL is this 360 degree quick-scope bullshit?)

Love the new guns though. Most of them look and sound so different from what we've been playing with in COD4 and MW2.

MW2 on PC was fairly balanced besides premade groups and chopper gunner whores... what about 360 though? What's the deal with this auto aim?

Edit: Despite hating Activision and all that jazz, Black Ops is looking pretty good. Did a little reading, and Combat Training sounds about right for what I wanted it for. Also, the weapon selection (and attachments, and equipment, ...and the new camos) just about got me giddy as a school girl! I can't wait to see how the co-op turns out. If I get the credit, probably gonna get this, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Corvin'] Wouldn't want people dropping their $20 credit from Halo and getting $20 more from this. :roll: Weak ass.[/QUOTE]

I know. It worked out for me. Bought Black Ops and then used my $20 gc towards Reach and then used the Reach $20 gc towards season 5 of It's always Sunny in Philly. Woohoo.

[quote name='The 7th Number']So is this just some guy showing off?[/QUOTE]

pretty much. i havent seen anyone do it (with a sniper rifle anyway) so its not too hugely wide spread. and id like to think i play pretty often, 2 days a week for multiple hours (some days ill pop it in for a quick match after work, but i normally do not feel like it.) but i have seen people do a 360 before a kill with a shotgun.

Anyone think that GameStop will bring back any promos/coupons for Black Ops? I missed out earlier on, and now have the credit to get it, but kinda waiting for something new to come up before I actually preorder it.

Apparently someone from Treyarch posted the playlists of all of the MP gametypes on the forums (minus co-op)...and also minus Third Person. :cry: Nothing is set in stone, though, since it's two months away. I didn't actually pull this out of the forums, either, but it seems reasonable enough.

Sidenote: Man, the COD forums are full of illiterate grammar-less greedy scumbags. I should've figured that's where the majority of COD players would mass. :lol:

Here they are:

Core:

• Team Deathmatch (TDM) (12 players)
  • Mercenary (MERC) (12 players)
  • Free-for-All (FFA) (8 players, smaller maps)
  • Domination (DOM) (12 players)
  • Ground War (GW) (18 players, larger maps)
  • Demolition (DEMO) (12 players)
  • Sabotage (SAB) (12 players)
  • Headquarters (HQ) (12 players)
  • Capture the Flag (CTF) (12 players)
  • Search and Destroy (SnD) (12 players)
  • Team Tactical (TEAM TAC) (12 players)

Barebones:

• Pure (No Perks, Killstreaks, Attachments, Equipment, or Contracts) (12 players)
  • Classic (Killstreaks at 3, 5 and 7) (12 players)
  • Team Tactical (Pure version with mixed bag of objective modes) (12 players)

Hardcore:

• Free-for-All (FFA) (8 players)

Wager Matches

• These are more of a subject to change kind of deal, Vahn did not report on wager matches in the forum today

Ante Up

• One in the Chamber
  • Sticks and Stones
  • Gun Game
  • Sharpshooter

Weekend Gambler

• One in the Chamber
  • Sticks and Stones
  • Gun Game
  • Sharpshooter

High Roller

• Pro Gambler (All four modes Wager said here, but now random)

I usually stick to team deathmatch or Hardcore team deathmatch. Prefer hardcore with no map, better for being stealthy, and its quicker to kill people. I rarely kill my own team too. But then sometimes its fun to play regular team deathmatch and not worry about shooting at anything you see lol.

Pure sounds cool, wonder if thats teams or free for all though.

I really doubt ill do any of the betting games. I might just to test it out, but i dont like the idea of losing my money.

[quote name='Rhett']Apparently someone from Treyarch posted the playlists of all of the MP gametypes on the forums (minus co-op)...and also minus Third Person. :cry: Nothing is set in stone, though, since it's two months away. I didn't actually pull this out of the forums, either, but it seems reasonable enough.

Sidenote: Man, the COD forums are full of illiterate grammar-less greedy scumbags. I should've figured that's where the majority of COD players would mass. :lol:

Here they are:

Core:
  • Mercenary (MERC) (12 players)
  • Free-for-All (FFA) (8 players, smaller maps)
  • Domination (DOM) (12 players)
  • Ground War (GW) (18 players, larger maps)
  • Demolition (DEMO) (12 players)
  • Sabotage (SAB) (12 players)
  • Capture the Flag (CTF) (12 players)
  • Team Tactical (TEAM TAC) (12 players)

Barebones:

• Pure (No Perks, Killstreaks, Attachments, Equipment, or Contracts) (12 players)
  • Classic (Killstreaks at 3, 5 and 7) (12 players)
  • Team Tactical (Pure version with mixed bag of objective modes) (12 players)

Hardcore:

• Free-for-All (FFA) (8 players)

Wager Matches

• These are more of a subject to change kind of deal, Vahn did not report on wager matches in the forum today

Ante Up

• One in the Chamber
  • Sticks and Stones
  • Gun Game
  • Sharpshooter

Weekend Gambler

• One in the Chamber
  • Sticks and Stones
  • Gun Game
  • Sharpshooter

High Roller

• Pro Gambler (All four modes Wager said here, but now random)
[/QUOTE]

No Zombies?

It says "minus co-op"...

On another note, I question this list because of the fact that it has Domination and Demolition listed. Domination has always been an IW-only gametype that usually is replaced by War.

I think I might actually be getting this game.I really don't usually buy the COD games.COD:MW2 i only played was because my friend was nice enough to lend it to me.I had it about 2 weeks then give it back.Seems like COD:MW2 is the only game my friends play.So COD Black Ops I can tell there going to get.So I might just pick it up when it comes out also.

[quote name='mvp828']It says "minus co-op"...

On another note, I question this list because of the fact that it has Domination and Demolition listed. Domination has always been an IW-only gametype that usually is replaced by War.[/QUOTE]

If I remember correctly, since there are no vehicles (besides killstreaks), they didn't want to include 'War'. Might just have been something I read, though. Lots of people are for or against having vehicles, but I don't think they fit.

And yes, the 'zombies' gametype/info is being held back, just like all of the co-op info.

Combat Training (thus far, confirmed) allows FFA and TDM, with the oldschool option of setting weapon limits, like 'pistols only' or 'knife only', etc. Also the 4 traditional difficulties will be selectable, but I'm not sure how it affects the bots (presumably reaction time and accuracy).

Supposedly 'lightweight' is slower than its MW2 variant, ontop of Marathon being changed back to the Extreme Conditioning effect, which is considered 2x longer sprinting. Also, since Ninja is also a Perk 2 (with Marathon), no more sneaky bastards!

[quote name='Rhett']If I remember correctly, since there are no vehicles (besides killstreaks), they didn't want to include 'War'. Might just have been something I read, though. Lots of people are for or against having vehicles, but I don't think they fit.

And yes, the 'zombies' gametype/info is being held back, just like all of the co-op info.

Combat Training (thus far, confirmed) allows FFA and TDM, with the oldschool option of setting weapon limits, like 'pistols only' or 'knife only', etc. Also the 4 traditional difficulties will be selectable, but I'm not sure how it affects the bots (presumably reaction time and accuracy).[/QUOTE]

Great news. Never was a fan of vehicle combat in multiplayer settings with exception to Halo because you can actually destroy them in a reasonable amount of time with just about anything. CT is sounding better and better. I can't wait to crank those bots up to max to see what they can really do.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Great news. Never was a fan of vehicle combat in multiplayer settings with exception to Halo because you can actually destroy them in a reasonable amount of time with just about anything. CT is sounding better and better. I can't wait to crank those bots up to max to see what they can really do.[/QUOTE]

And regardless of what they can really do, you won't get a 12 year old screaming at you! (/rhyme)

I also read that CT is limited to, at most, 12 bots/players (probably a limit of 8 max humans I imagine). Not really an issue since it's the regular in most of these game modes, though. *glee*

I've gotten used to spending less intermission time in the lobby by playing TDM Express. That's a damn shame if they remove it from the playlist.

[quote name='Rhett']And regardless of what they can really do, you won't get a 12 year old screaming at you! (/rhyme)[/QUOTE]

Sad but oh so true. If CT pans out as intended having the ability to stake out prime camping spots along with the fastest routes to reach them will be absolutely priceless. I am going to love terrorizing every wall/corner hugging asshole within five feet of my Marathon/Lightweight/Slight of Hand shotgun madness. I've had my eye on that sexy G11 and Commando for a while now too plus I can finally practice my terrible sniping in piece without worry of ruining my K/D in pubs.

Speaking of which have they discussed weapon and perk configurations? Do you know if CT is going to be limited to your character's current MP unlocks or is everything available from jump?

My only current concern (aside from hacks/mods/etc.) is weapon balance in Stopping Power's absence. I'd rather not have to deal with another Model '87 fiasco where a gun is so broken the developers rush patch fixes diminishing its effectiveness to the point where it becomes a liability to use regardless of perk/attachment set up.

Otherwise I'm still pretty hyped for this shit. I just hope that doesn't change after I've finished the campaign and step foot into my first pub.

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Sad but oh so true. If CT pans out as intended having the ability to stake out prime camping spots along with the fastest routes to reach them will be absolutely priceless. I am going to love terrorizing every wall/corner hugging asshole within five feet of my Marathon/Lightweight/Slight of Hand shotgun madness. I've had my eye on that sexy G11 and Commando for a while now too plus I can finally practice my terrible sniping in piece without worry of ruining my K/D in pubs.

Speaking of which have they discussed weapon and perk configurations? Do you know if CT is going to be limited to your character's current MP unlocks or is everything available from jump?

My only current concern (aside from hacks/mods/etc.) is weapon balance in Stopping Power's absence. I'd rather not have to deal with another Model '87 fiasco where a gun is so broken the developers rush patch fixes diminishing its effectiveness to the point where it becomes a liability to use regardless of perk/attachment set up.

Otherwise I'm still pretty hyped for this shit. I just hope that doesn't change after I've finished the campaign and step foot into my first pub.[/QUOTE]

Combat Training's XP is separate of MP. Basically, it's everything you can customize/unlock in MP, but you level up/get COD points in CT. I imagine, if you really wanted to, it'd be easy enough to "boost" in CT if necessary.

Confirmed so far (presumably all there will be, but I'm hoping for Domination or CTF) is FFA and TDM modes.

Probably pretty good mode for getting warmed up for MP, too, so you don't get your ass handed to you for a few rounds, resulting in RAYGE!!!

Oh, and as for hacks/cheats/whatever, Treyarch says they will have a team dedicated to enforcing 'no hacks, cheats, mods' through submitted Theater videos and such, from day one. I dunno how long that will last, but they're absolutely serious about it. Theater videos just makes it so much easier to verify cheats.

[quote name='mvp828']It says "minus co-op"...

On another note, I question this list because of the fact that it has Domination and Demolition listed. Domination has always been an IW-only gametype that usually is replaced by War.[/QUOTE]

Domination was in World at War.

But agreed on War game mode--that's Treyarch's baby.

[quote name='kevlar51']Domination was in World at War.

But agreed on War game mode--that's Treyarch's baby.[/QUOTE]

Really? Hmmm... Didn't realize that it was. I guess I never really played it since Ground War was TDM and War.

[quote name='crzyjoeguy']dont know if it has been mentioned or not. amazon added a new pre-order bonus. "laser cell art and wallpaper"

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/videogames/promos/callofdutyblackops.jpg[/QUOTE]

For some reason Treyarch also mentioned GameStop's Flight-suit avatar clothing with preorders at GS, with that, too. Neither one really sounds as tempting as a discount. :bomb:

Also, "confirmation" (I guess?) that there will be no co-op campaign- That is, not the single player campaign. Still no clues on what's in store for co-op.

Not a big deal I guess, since WaW's campaign got stale (even with cards).

That sucks about no co op campaign. At least they having split screen for multiplayer. That doesn't affect me but I know a couple of guys that only buy split screen games so them and their roommates can play together. After playing some of Reach, it's just been ok so far in the multiplayer but I'm really looking forward to Black Ops.

No co-op campaign? Gah. That was one of the selling points for me, considering I've always been a multiplayer kind of guy. Took me forever to even start the MW2 campaign. Singleplayer is just so...lonely, ya know what I mean?

Multiplayer's good enough. The wager matches amped up my interest quite a bit. Pre-ordered it at Gamestop the other day, they gave me the Flight Suit card, but from having it in my pocket it got wrinkled, which resulted in the ink for the letters of the code peeling off along with the piece I was supposed to peel off. Is there any way to go back to that Gamestop and get another code, or wha? It's not really that big of a deal, but would be nice to have as an option regardless.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']No co-op campaign? Gah. That was one of the selling points for me, considering I've always been a multiplayer kind of guy. Took me forever to even start the MW2 campaign. Singleplayer is just so...lonely, ya know what I mean?

Multiplayer's good enough. The wager matches amped up my interest quite a bit. Pre-ordered it at Gamestop the other day, they gave me the Flight Suit card, but from having it in my pocket it got wrinkled, which resulted in the ink for the letters of the code peeling off along with the piece I was supposed to peel off. Is there any way to go back to that Gamestop and get another code, or wha? It's not really that big of a deal, but would be nice to have as an option regardless.[/QUOTE]

GS is pretty flexible with preorder bonuses. I'd either explain your case, or just tell them you never got your preorder bonus (but show them that you did indeed preorder it). I imagine one way or another you could get one. It's not like it's something 'SO CRAZAY' that it'd sell for $50 on ebay, so it should be no issue...

WaW co-op apparently was very unpopular with 360 gamers (lol, spoiled fooking brats!) so they didn't include it. However, we still have no information on the co-op mode, which has supposedly had a dedicated co-op team working on it since before it was announced. Plus, need I remind you about combat training!

And a little backstory (from what I've read) about Combat Training:

Started out as an in-house easy-to-use testing ground for the devs to try features and such. Eventually got tweaked more and more to fit their needs, so the bots got more advanced. They probably aren't Unreal Tournament quality (AKA, probably some of the best in the industry), but with 4 difficulty levels, there's no telling.

It doesn't appear that they are the poorly-coded kind that instantly know exactly where you are, or that you're behind them, either. This is a huge plus.

No real new information yet..

One interesting tidbit I did read about (this is at the very least true for 'Sticks and Stones' wager matches) is that if you hit someone with a Tomahawk, it completely bankrupts them back to $0. Also, the person in the #1 spot at any time is shown on the radar, constantly, with a yellow/gold blip. This makes them a big target for Tomahawking.

And, something I also think is true, is that Contracts might be constant, but Treyarch can switch them around as much as they want, which could add replay value (or remove ones that may be getting abused).

Bunch of people are complaining about "FAMAS sights", which I'm not entirely sure about. Basically boils down to people assuming certain guns will have the same iron sights as eachother, but I don't understand it, fully.

The more you know! :bouncy:

I had no idea Combat Training was announced at launch, but I was bored and looked on youtube for any videos of it, and came across this interview...

It's nothing new, but it did confirm the following:

Combat Training can be played split screen, or online through invitation.

I wasn't at all sure that it could be played online, but it certainly can be.

No other real info has surfaced as of late.

The wait continues...

And here's a pretty cool video of MP gameplay that I was previously unaware of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEKSY9ALAww

I can't believe there isn't a thread dedicated to pre-order bonuses for this game? It seems like the Space Suit Avatar from Gamestop is probably the most interesting since Amazon is no longer doing the $20 gift card with any edition.

Am I missing one?

So does Gamestop go ahead and give you the avatar code right away? At what point does it "work"?

You register a code they give you on their website (as far as in store orders go anyway, not sure about online orders), then when the game comes out, they email you the actual download code.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']I can't believe there isn't a thread dedicated to pre-order bonuses for this game? It seems like the Space Suit Avatar from Gamestop is probably the most interesting since Amazon is no longer doing the $20 gift card with any edition.

Am I missing one?

So does Gamestop go ahead and give you the avatar code right away? At what point does it "work"?[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I think GS had a $20 promo too, for preordering, but removed it. (ARGH!) - I'm only getting it there due to store credit. Wish I could coax them into adding the credit to my preorder. I'm hoping for a 'Daily Deal' with free overnight shipping for it, though, at least.

Best Buy offers 500 RZ points, but that's kinda lame, lest you have BB GCs.

If Best Buy offers a $20 GC with it like Halo Reach, I'm going there. Otherwise we got to hope for Wal Mart or Amazon to throw up their $20 GC offer.

Look for Kmart to do a $20-25 coupon at launch. Josh the Kmart rep who runs the thread in game deals section has said multiple times they will be extending the current promos out through all the big releases this year. They did $25 coupon with Reach and you saved $25 off another game instantly. They've been crushing everyone lately with deals/coupons. :D

The thing I really like about all these MP videos is the lack of air support. I loved it at first and but MW2 has WAY to much air support going on.

[quote name='$hady']Look for Kmart to do a $20-25 coupon at launch. Josh the Kmart rep who runs the thread in game deals section has said multiple times they will be extending the current promos out through all the big releases this year. They did $25 coupon with Reach and you saved $25 off another game instantly. They've been crushing everyone lately with deals/coupons. :D

The thing I really like about all these MP videos is the lack of air support. I loved it at first and but MW2 has WAY to much air support going on.[/QUOTE]

There's two UAV-related killstreaks (spy planes), Care Package, two controllable (in some form) "air" killstreaks (Chopper Gunner, which is just a minigun this time around), and the pilot-able chopper. Also a carpet bombing from a B-52.

So... 5 or so that can be shot down, and there's also the Blackbird which provides a more detailed UAV visage, but cannot be seen or destroyed.

But yes, MW2 had way too much air support. I remember constant streams of care packages, pavelows, attack choppers, chopper gunners and AC-130... ugh. Looking forward to mortar strikes and napalm barrages.

Also, with the addition of the portable SAM site, hopefully it will be a non issue for true team-supporting players.

Pretty hilarious how many people are complaining about no nuke (or no AC-130, or way overpowered chopper gunner), too. So glad to hear that's gone. It's just as bad as MP achievements, where people screw their team just because they're trying to do something that only really benefits themselves.

[quote name='Rhett']But yes, MW2 had way too much air support. I remember constant streams of care packages, pavelows, attack choppers, chopper gunners and AC-130... ugh. Looking forward to mortar strikes and napalm barrages.

Pretty hilarious how many people are complaining about no nuke (or no AC-130, or way overpowered chopper gunner), too. So glad to hear that's gone. It's just as bad as MP achievements, where people screw their team just because they're trying to do something that only really benefits themselves.[/QUOTE]
Agreed, agreed, agreed. Stuff like that, among a few other things, really soured me on Modern Warfare 2 fairly quickly.

bread's done
Back