Call of Duty Black OPS

[quote name='Rhett']There's two UAV-related killstreaks (spy planes), Care Package, two controllable (in some form) "air" killstreaks (Chopper Gunner, which is just a minigun this time around), and the pilot-able chopper. Also a carpet bombing from a B-52.

So... 5 or so that can be shot down, and there's also the Blackbird which provides a more detailed UAV visage, but cannot be seen or destroyed.

But yes, MW2 had way too much air support. I remember constant streams of care packages, pavelows, attack choppers, chopper gunners and AC-130... ugh. Looking forward to mortar strikes and napalm barrages.

Also, with the addition of the portable SAM site, hopefully it will be a non issue for true team-supporting players.

Pretty hilarious how many people are complaining about no nuke (or no AC-130, or way overpowered chopper gunner), too. So glad to hear that's gone. It's just as bad as MP achievements, where people screw their team just because they're trying to do something that only really benefits themselves.[/QUOTE]

I can safely say that I've gotten enough Chopper Gunners, AC130s, and nukes to know that they greatly benefit your team. None of the killstreaks in MW2 were overpowered. They all go down super easy to a stinger.

This game is going to get hacked just like MW2 was by people that own JTAG 360s. Since that'll happen, this game will just be as annoying as MW2 was to some.
Granted I didn't personally experience much of that since I usually played with the same people, but I can already see people complaining about it in the future.
Its just inevitable, ever since the exploit, big games are going to get hacked and people will cheat for prestige status etc. It sucks, but it is going to happen to this game.

[quote name='Jobbercho']I wish team tactical would stay at 8 players. I rarely play with a full 6 person party and I almost always get shitty randoms.[/QUOTE]

is that a joke? 6v6 team tac? thats pretty pointless. if i wanted to play 6v6 anything i'd go into that playlist.

People who say air killstreaks are overpowered just hate having anything but Stopping Power. Put on Cold Blooded and all the killstreaks go down very quickly. If you run around with Stopping Power, expect to get torn apart by killstreaks.

Another lesser-seen MP gameplay clip, mostly featuring the M16, and a little camera spike usage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ce50Kh858E&feature=player_embedded

Don't really need to be complaining to each-other about how he or she is a noob for using or not using X or Y. Enough of that in general surrounding COD, so I'll stick to posting any new info I can find.

Also, confirmed by Treyarch (David Vonderhaar via Twitter) that you need to purchase all other items of a category (EX: Camoflauge, or Assault Rifles), to unlock the 'Classified' item at the bottom of the list of that category. This was previously speculated.

Cheers

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']People who say air killstreaks are overpowered just hate having anything but Stopping Power. Put on Cold Blooded and all the killstreaks go down very quickly. If you run around with Stopping Power, expect to get torn apart by killstreaks.[/QUOTE]
Not true, put on the Famas w/stopping power, and stinger as secondary. There now you have something which will knock out everything that comes into the sky, but also won't nurf your gun. I dont use cold blooded on any class, its just a waste especially in a 1v1 with a stopping power user.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']damn that RC car in that video makes the game look like a fucking joke.[/QUOTE]

Correction: that RC car in that video makes the game look fucking sweet!

I haven't played a Call of Duty since COD2 for the PC and really have been disinterested by the MW line of games mostly thanks to the developer's strange ideas and marketing mentality.

But I am interested in this thanks to the unique time period which hasn't really been represented much in games. The only one I can think of that was worth a damn would be Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Easter/Subistence. Which is probably the best MGS out there. There's something awesome when a period piece sort of thing features hi-tech gear that includes a cutting edge new device known as a cell phone, hah.

[quote name='Fire_Thief']I hope someone gives a $20 credit, cause Amazon took their's away... I really want this game on release. 360. >_

i hope nukes and harries and anything else that flies and kills a lot is gone. i did not enjoy hiding and having to wait Or being a noob and hiding and gaining easy kills. bring your controller and your ingame gun and leave it at that.

Because I was curious, and this gives me even more hope for Combat Training... (David Vonderhaar is the Lead MP Designer for Treyarch)

Rhett816 @DavidVonderhaar How do the difficulties in Combat Training affect the bots? It doesn't just give them more health and damage, does it?

DavidVonderhaar @Rhett816
Great question. We felt health and difficulty were "sacred." Difficulty is other variables like targeting time and visibility.

Glad it wasn't half-assed...then again, it did start as an in-house way to test the game themselves.

Can't wait for the avalanche of penis custom emblems. You know it's gonna happen.

[quote name='Ziv']Can't wait for the avalanche of penis custom emblems. You know it's gonna happen.[/QUOTE]

You just wait until you see my vagina emblem.. Or maybe a CheapyD emblem?

With all these customization features being more complex, most of the time will be spent on customizing yur gameplay style lulz

[quote name='The 7th Number']Customization video... looks pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0_r4-eTmlA[/QUOTE]

This IS Sacry, It will be a matter of Hours before, They start selling us Game unlocks Like Perks Kill Streaks, Weapons customizations. For REAL Currency not just Fake Game currency.

Its a deliberate, organzied effort because developers meet and agree to implement the same "Currency" systems.

How Ironic is it that HALO REACH and BLACK OP's share near identical Currency or Credits system ??

to to Unlock the Best Items is a near Impossibility to earn 2 Million + Credits.

That's odd that you have to buy everything. It makes me think, what's the point of XP? If I need to purchase everything, what do the increased levels of XP give you? The customization looks cool as hell, looks like Treyarch is slowly pulling ahead of Infinity Ward on the quality of their CoD games.

Here is the achievement list (MASSIVE spoilers for the campaign):

1. A Safer Place (10G)
Sabotage the Soviet space program.
2. Black OP Master (10G) – Complete the campaign on Hardened or Veteran difficulty.
3. Broken English (10G) – Escape Kowloon.
4. Burn Notice (25G) – Complete “Rebirth” and “Redemption” on Veteran difficulty.
5. Clarity (10G) – Crack the code.
6. Classified (15G) -
7. Classified (15G) -
8. Classified (15G) -
9. Closer Analysis (15G) – Find all the hidden intel.
10. Cold Warrior (25G) – Complete “Operation 40″, “Vorkuta”, and “Executive Order” on Veteran difficulty.
11. Death to Dictators (15G)
Use a single round to bring down Castro.
12. Double Trouble (10G) – Use only dual wield weapons to escape Kowloon.
13. Double Whammy (15G) – Destroy both helicopters with one TOW guided missile from the deck of the ship.
14. Down and Dirty (15G) – Complete “SOG” and “The Defector” on Veteran difficulty.
15. Easy Rhino (5G) – In Dead Ops Arcade, use a Speed Boost to blast through 20 or more enemies at one time.
16. Frag Master (15G) – Kill 5 enemies with a single frag grenade.
17. Gamblin’ Fool (20G) – Finish 5 Wager Matches “in the money”.
18. Give Me Liberty, Or Give Me Death (10G) - Escape Vorkuta.
19. Hands Off the Merchandise (20G)
Kill the Pentagon thief before it can steal your load-out.
20. Heavy Hand (15G) - Use the Grim Reaper to destroy the MG emplacement.
21. I Hate Monkeys (15G)
Kill 7 monkeys in under 10 seconds in the Rebirth labs.
22. Insert Coin (10G) – Access the terminal and battle the forces of the Cosmic Silverback in Dead Ops Arcade .
23. It’s Your Funeral (25G) – Complete “Numbers,” “Project Nova” and “Victor Charlie” on Veteran difficulty .
24. Light Foot (15G) – Escape the ship with 2:15 left on the timer in Veteran.
25. Looks Don’t Count (10G) – Break the seige in the battle of Khe Sanh.
26. Lord Nelson (25G) – Destroy all targets and structures while making your way up the river.
27. Matinee (15G) – Watch a film or clip with a friend.
28. Mr. Black OP (5G/0G)
Enter the Soviet relay station undetected.
29. Never Get Off the Boat (10G) – Find the Soviet connection in Laos.
30. No Leaks (5G/0G) – Make it through the NOVA 6 gas without dying on Rebirth Island.
31. Not Today (25G) – Complete “Crash Site,” “WMD” and “Payback” on Veteran difficulty.
32. Pathfinder (5G/0G) – Guide the squad through the Soviet outpost without them getting killed.
33. Raining Pain (15G) – Rack up a bodycount of 20 NVA using air support in Hue City.
34. Russian Bar-B-Q (15G) – Incinerate 10 enemies with the flamethrower attachment in the POW compound.
35. SOG Rules (10G) – Retrieve the dossier and the defector from Hue City.
36. Sacrifice (10G) – Ensure your squad escapes safely from Cuba.
37. Sacrificial Lamb (15G) – Kill 6 zombies after getting shot by a Pack-a-Punched Crossbow bolt.
38. Sally Likes Blood (15G) – Demonstrate killer economic sensibilities by taking down 3 enemies with a single bullet.
39. Slingshot Kid (15G) – Destroy all slingshot targets in 3 attempts.
40. Some Wounds Never Heal (10G) – Escape the past.
41. Stand Down (35G) – Complete the campaign on any difficulty.
42. The Collector (20G) – In Zombie mode, buy every weapon off the walls in a single game.
43. The Dragon Within (15G) – Kill 10 NVA with Dragon’s Breath rounds.
44. Tough Economy (15G) – Use no more than 6 TOW guided missiles to destroy the tanks in the defense of Khe Sanh.
45. Unconventional Warfare (15G) – Use the explosive bolts to kill 30 enemies.
46. Up Close and Personal (15G) – Silently take out 3 VC.
47. VIP (15G) – Receive orders from Lancer.
48. Vehicular Slaughter (25G)
Destroy all enemies on vehicles during the prison break.
49. With Extreme Prejudice (25G) – Get to the POW compound in the Hind using only rockets.
50. You Can Do It (15G) – Reach rank 10 in Basic Training.

One thing I still dont understand and I wouldn't dare asking on the BO boards is, why is the SAM turret like 4 kills or whatever it is when there's not a whole lot of air killstreak rewards that also have low killstreak requirements?

Yeah there's the spy plane, which I would assume the SAM would shootdown, but you have the COUNTER spy plane which somewhat negates the SAM turret when they both cost 4 kills and you don't have to place the COUNTER spy plane like you have to place the SAM.

Now, the other offensive air killstreaks are(according to the video): napalm strike, valkyrie rockets?, blackbird, rolling thunder, chopper gunner, gunship.

Not sure what valkyrie rockets are but I'm assuming they are fired from either an aircraft or a carrier/destroyer?

Anyway I don't see you being able to shoot down the aircraft that's dropping the napalm, not sure what the blackbird is going to be doing, but a blackbird is an aircraft that can leave the earth's atmosphere so a SAM turret wouldn't be effective based on that fact, rolling thunder is a carpet bomb so possibly could be shot down with SAM, and chopper gunner and gunship can obviously be shot down.

So I can see the viability of the SAM being low kills required against a higher killstreak reward like Gunship, but using the SAM is like kind of already cutting yourself short because you are assuming that the enemy is good enough to get a killstreak of at least lets say 7 for the attack chopper and you are not.

Mean while if you or your team are pretty good and you are using the SAM turret and the enemy team never even gets past a 3 kill killstreak, that's pretty much a waste of a perk slot.

So back to my original question, is there any reason OTHER than what I've said(based on assumptions by the way) that would make the SAM more useful than say spy plane or counter spy plane?

[quote name='timesplitt']i hope nukes and harries and anything else that flies and kills a lot is gone. i did not enjoy hiding and having to wait Or being a noob and hiding and gaining easy kills. bring your controller and your ingame gun and leave it at that.[/QUOTE]

Or just switch to a cold-blooded class and take that air support out. Cold-blooded really doesn't nerf any gun (you may have to put like 1 extra shot in a person), so I don't get all the complaints about air support unless you are just plain bad at the game. Back when the game first came out and people learned the Harrier, Chopper Gunner, Nuke setup before I had cold-blooded and knew how easy they were to take out they were a pain in the ass, but complaints about them this long into the games lifetime are for trash players.

Edit: And I can run and gun to get a nuke, I don't have to hide for any of those killstreaks until I get a Chopper Gunner just so I don't kill myself with it. Almost any assault rifle is so overpowered in this game you can beat almost any sniper across the map and any SMG other than the UMP or MP5K up close (and even those 2 you have a good chance at it). Give me a TAR-21 and I can get a nuke almost every match running and gunning, so if you can't stop a person from either camping and getting it (you should be aware of where they are after they kill you once or twice) or stop someone who is running around and killing you, you have no right to complain about the air support.

Last Edit: Don't take that wrong either, I don't really care either way with the air support. I am just making a point that they are all that overpowered and can be taken down pretty easily, so I think complaining about air support is ridiculous. If you don't keep a class for taking down air support or have a teammate(s) that do, you get what you deserve from all the deaths from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hustletron, if I have a SAM turret to take out the spyplane, counter spyplane, Chopper gunner and gunship, that leaves a weapon slot open since I don't have to carry an AA weapon. That's a good enough reason right there. Also, I hate shit that flies and kills me.

[quote name='Ziv']Hustletron, if I have a SAM turret to take out the spyplane, counter spyplane, Chopper gunner and gunship, that leaves a weapon slot open since I don't have to carry an AA weapon. That's a good enough reason right there. Also, I hate shit that flies and kills me.[/QUOTE]

But most people that play these games, use the "AA weapon" against other players, save for the javelin or stinger which I'm not sure either will be in.

But when you really weigh the power of killstreaks compared to weapons, the killstreaks out weigh the weapons by far.

I dunno I understand your train of thought but I don't buy that as a legitimate argument for the SAM, I think it's out of place.

[quote name='Ziv']Hustletron, if I have a SAM turret to take out the spyplane, counter spyplane, Chopper gunner and gunship, that leaves a weapon slot open since I don't have to carry an AA weapon. That's a good enough reason right there. Also, I hate shit that flies and kills me.[/QUOTE]

I agree.

Also, it's a killstreak that is purely a team support weapon, and not just a killing machine. That's good enough for me. I'll probably put it on if I want to mess with another weapon that would take the launcher's spot. It would be nice to throw one down and not have to worry about the skies in a portion of the map, which I'm sticking to. (Or, imagine hacking an enemy SAM!) "WTF! Your SAM just took out my care package, you ass!"

Oh, and the Care Package is dropped by a Chinook now, and it's much more vulnerable to being shot down.

Valkyrie rockets are dropped by care package, and is basically a rocket launcher. It launches self-guided missiles, has limited fuel, and can get a speed boost (but is also a little hard to control).

[quote name='Rhett']I agree.

Also, it's a killstreak that is purely a team support weapon, and not just a killing machine. That's good enough for me. I'll probably put it on if I want to mess with another weapon that would take the launcher's spot. It would be nice to throw one down and not have to worry about the skies in a portion of the map, which I'm sticking to. (Or, imagine hacking an enemy SAM!) "WTF! Your SAM just took out my care package, you ass!"

Oh, and the Care Package is dropped by a Chinook now, and it's much more vulnerable to being shot down.

Valkyrie rockets are dropped by care package, and is basically a rocket launcher. It launches self-guided missiles, has limited fuel, and can get a speed boost (but is also a little hard to control).[/QUOTE]

Thanks for clearing that up, I don't remember if I mentioned the care package insertions being shot down but I had that in mind for the SAM too, which is why I asked. If you can shoot down the chinooks then yeah the SAM is totally viable.

The valkyrie is basically a shoulder mounted predator from what you're saying? I Actually think I saw gameplay footage of it, someone guiding it into a corridor.

Either way I have high hopes for this game, especially after MW2 and I can't take another disappointment especially after getting my hopes up for reach.

[quote name='hustletron']Thanks for clearing that up, I don't remember if I mentioned the care package insertions being shot down but I had that in mind for the SAM too, which is why I asked. If you can shoot down the chinooks then yeah the SAM is totally viable.

The valkyrie is basically a shoulder mounted predator from what you're saying? I Actually think I saw gameplay footage of it, someone guiding it into a corridor.

Either way I have high hopes for this game, especially after MW2 and I can't take another disappointment especially after getting my hopes up for reach.[/QUOTE]
Whats wrong with Reach?

Anyway I can't wait for Black Ops as well. Gonna try to preorder the hardened edition for the extra maps.

[quote name='hustletron']Thanks for clearing that up, I don't remember if I mentioned the care package insertions being shot down but I had that in mind for the SAM too, which is why I asked. If you can shoot down the chinooks then yeah the SAM is totally viable.

Either way I have high hopes for this game, especially after MW2 and I can't take another disappointment especially after getting my hopes up for reach.[/QUOTE]

Yep, it's a handheld rocket launcher from a carepackage, that shoots guided missiles. :)

And the Chinook being larger, it's also a little slower, so it is much more possible to take out care package drops.

Here's a YT video of valkyrie rockets (skip to 1:05)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gou16oiuyYU

Lots of new additions to Black Ops, and I am very intrigued by it in many ways. I think the lack of (obviously) exploitable perks is great and will make this game rate high on the longevity meter.

I don't think either, I just think its the effectiveness of the weapon. It never bounced around and it didn't look like it was auto-aiming either.

it looks like the bullets leave the gun and shoot pretty far to the left of where the player was aiming

to clarify, i'm talking about the second of those 2 guys he kills, right at 2:14

I know what part you're talking about, I just don't see anything weird about it other then the fact that the gun doesn't recoil at all really and he just sprays them both down.

I wonder if the valk has enough fuel and is agile enough to fire like a predator, shoot it into the air so you can have a better shot at killing enemies like the guys that player failed to kill.

[quote name='hustletron']I wonder if the valk has enough fuel and is agile enough to fire like a predator, shoot it into the air so you can have a better shot at killing enemies like the guys that player failed to kill.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree. The Valkyrie Rocket seems ridiculously sloppy to control. It's like a harder to control pred. missile that requires 2 more kills, WTF?

The Valkyrie missle looks quite flawed and may end up being one of those practically useless killstreaks. The fact that it comes from the ground and not the sky severely limits its effectiveness.

I definitely have to disagree with all of the hate towards the Valk...
Yea there will be some maps that it is pretty much useless on, and there will be some that it is absolutely amazing. Think of all of MW2's killstreaks... There isn't a single one you can honestly say is good in every game/map even the UAV/Counter are worthless if you are playing against either a team that is cold-blooded or quick to shoot stuff down.

Think about these maps/game modes in MW2 where a Valk would dominate:
Skidrow - put a rocket down the tunnel and into either stairwell
Wasteland - Over the hedge
Overgrown - HQ in any of the buildings... Clear 'em out
There are a lot of other examples too.

[quote name='tcrash247']That's odd that you have to buy everything. It makes me think, what's the point of XP? If I need to purchase everything, what do the increased levels of XP give you? The customization looks cool as hell, looks like Treyarch is slowly pulling ahead of Infinity Ward on the quality of their CoD games.[/QUOTE]

This is like the first time Treyarch has implemented something original. Think about WaW. That shit was the same game as CoD4, except it was WW2. They didn't change anything, really. Even CoD3 wasn't really much different from CoD2 imo. Now, all Treyarch seems to be doing is changing the way we unlock items and adding more customization, which is cool, but not really too revolutionary. Treyarch seems to just play off of IW's improvements.

[quote name='mvp828']I definitely have to disagree with all of the hate towards the Valk...
Yea there will be some maps that it is pretty much useless on, and there will be some that it is absolutely amazing. Think of all of MW2's killstreaks... There isn't a single one you can honestly say is good in every game/map even the UAV/Counter are worthless if you are playing against either a team that is cold-blooded or quick to shoot stuff down.

Think about these maps/game modes in MW2 where a Valk would dominate:
Skidrow - put a rocket down the tunnel and into either stairwell
Wasteland - Over the hedge
Overgrown - HQ in any of the buildings... Clear 'em out
There are a lot of other examples too.[/QUOTE]

But that's on MW2 maps, we have yet to see if the Valkyrie Missle can be applied effectively on BO maps.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']But that's on MW2 maps, we have yet to see if the Valkyrie Missle can be applied effectively on BO maps.[/QUOTE]

The dude that fired it in the video just shot it at the wrong time, at a poorly chosen target and steered it poorly, he also chose a poor spot(out in the open) to fire it from as he left himself wide open while guiding the projectile. I can already imagine the uses for that weapon.

I can definitely imagine shooting it upwards and angling it across the map. Also, you could shoot it at an upward angle, and then turn it towards a part of the map that might have catwalks or platforms for snipers.

I dunno, we can't really say how useful/less it is at this point. It is neat, though. Beats MW2's killstreaks.

Looking forward to seeing the dogs in action again. :3

Good news for those that are all about the whole 3D thing.

Treyarch have confirmed that Call of Duty: Black Ops will support 3D gaming at launch on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

The idea began life as a research and development project within Treyarch, but Mark Lamia, Studio Head at Treyarch explains why they saw fit to push to include the feature from launch:

Once we saw what the technology brought to the Call of Duty experience, what a great fit and how immersive it was, we knew that we had to develop it for Black Ops. Aiming down the sights of your weapons, flying in helicopters, rappelling down mountains, and moving through highly detailed environments are just some of the awesome experiences you will have in 3D with Black Ops

Predicting the next question on numerous gamers lips Lamia confirmed that this feature would not be limited to single player only:

[There will be] a simple menu option to enable stereoscopic 3D or disable it at any time whether playing in the single player campaign, multiplayer or Zombies

In order to take advantage of this feature you will require a 3D ready TV hooked up to your console. Call of Duty: Black Ops launches November 9th

bread's done
Back