Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

[quote name='danthemightyone']Anyway, my question is...

How does BBV pay you for tradeins if I don't spend it righ away? I know they do store credit or giftcard, but do they every pay in cash?[/quote]

Never heard of BBV giving cash. Most likely it's a GC.

This isn't exactly a games related question, but after work I plan on picking up a DVD burner from FS, and I just don't know which type of DVD's I should buy for it. I've never once owned a DVD burner, and I am just wondering if the + or - DVD's are better. I only really plan on burning a few of them... I just have no idea which ones I should pick up. If anyone knows that would be awesome!

[quote name='craig64']This isn't exactly a games related question, but after work I plan on picking up a DVD burner from FS, and I just don't know which type of DVD's I should buy for it. I've never once owned a DVD burner, and I am just wondering if the + or - DVD's are better. I only really plan on burning a few of them... I just have no idea which ones I should pick up. If anyone knows that would be awesome![/quote]

Depends what you plan to do. If you're just backing up data, either works. If you plan to burn video files, it may be safer to go with "-" since older DVD player might not work with "+". Of course, if you plan to burn in dual layer, then you can only get them in "+".

[quote name='Cthulhu8u']Depends what you plan to do. If you're just backing up data, either works. If you plan to burn video files, it may be safer to go with "-" since older DVD player might not work with "+". Of course, if you plan to burn in dual layer, then you can only get them in "+".[/quote]

Haha, crap. I wish I would've read this before I left work yesterday! I just got a pack of 100 "+", but I think it should be okay. I'll probably just play the DVD's on my 360... so I think they might work? Hmmm... I wish I knew more about this technology.

Now not to stay off topic... does anyone know of a good (preferably free) program to burn DVD's that will play on my DVD player? I spent about 2 hours last night trying to find anything decent - but I just couldn't do it. Either I'd find trial versions that need me to buy the full version for that feature... or it worked but I couldn't understand it. I checked FS's website and saw Roxio for $40... but I don't know how good that program is. (After this I'll stop being off topic from deals)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but it's about the $10 off of a $40 purchase by signing up with a new account on amazon.ca. If I buy something, and let's say after the $10 off the total is below $39, do I still get free shipping (most likely not right?)?

[quote name='TronB']I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but it's about the $10 off of a $40 purchase by signing up with a new account on amazon.ca. If I buy something, and let's say after the $10 off the total is below $39, do I still get free shipping (most likely not right?)?[/quote]

IIRC free shipping is based upon the list price prior to any coupons someone might use. So a 45 dollar item would still be free shipping if you used the 10 dollar coupon.

You can always try this out for yourself though.

I'm looking for a copy of My French Coach in the GTA. I need it by Sunday so online orders are out of the question. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can let me know if they've seen one.

[quote name='JGonspy']I'm looking for a copy of My French Coach in the GTA. I need it by Sunday so online orders are out of the question. I'd really appreciate it if anyone can let me know if they've seen one.[/quote]

I don't live in the GTA, but I'd highly suggest checking out Zellers. That's the only place I've ever really seen it before anyways.

I'm in Toronto and looking to get a Dual Shock 3 (ceramic white). Anyone know where I can find one, and how much they cost? I considered just ordering online, but if I can find one locally I would rather do that.

Also, if there is a website that sells them for fairly cheap, please let me know!

Alright so I bought an 360 vga cable from Future Shop and it came in a package like this:

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/xbox360_acc_vga.jpg

Now, I cut the top off where they would hang it from on the rack and then cut the rest so it opens like a book but is still intact on one side. My question is, can I package everything up like this and return it? I kind of made a mistake with it and figured it would work, but when I went to set it all up with my monitor I ran into some issues.

Thanks.

[quote name='DMPugh']I'm in Toronto and looking to get a Dual Shock 3 (ceramic white). Anyone know where I can find one, and how much they cost? I considered just ordering online, but if I can find one locally I would rather do that.

Also, if there is a website that sells them for fairly cheap, please let me know![/quote]

You best and most reliable bet is Play-asia for 60 USD.

[quote name='Kekumba']Alright so I bought an 360 vga cable from Future Shop and it came in a package like this:

http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/xbox360_acc_vga.jpg

Now, I cut the top off where they would hang it from on the rack and then cut the rest so it opens like a book but is still intact on one side. My question is, can I package everything up like this and return it? I kind of made a mistake with it and figured it would work, but when I went to set it all up with my monitor I ran into some issues.

Thanks.[/quote]

I've seen a few things getting restocked like that, so if it's not too much trouble, try it out. They probably will take it back if it's done relatively soon after you bought it, tho they'll charge you a 'restocking' fee, which is about 15 percent or something like that, of the MSRP of the item.

[quote name='DMPugh']
I found this site, http://www.games-asia.com/dualshock3ceramicwhite-p-2922.html

Has anyone ordered from them before? I'm just liking the idea of free shipping.[/quote]

Do what I do and check ResellerRatings.com, that should at least start you off on how well a store performs:

Games-asia

Play-asia

Personally, since it seems like just about no one has trouble with Play-asia, and shipping for the controller is the price of a Double Harvey's combo meal, just starve for a little bit for something you really want. >:p

will the upcoming Trade 3 Get it Free Weekend deal from EB Games let me pre-order any game on their database and not on some "list"?

I ordered a Dual Shock 3 from playasia and ended up regretting it, because after about a month the R2 trigger became weak and lost its resistance. It still worked, but it didn't feel right, and I couldn't get it fixed or returned here in Canada. Probably just a fluke, the actual service from playasia was good. Very fast and cheap shipping.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I ordered a Dual Shock 3 from playasia and ended up regretting it, because after about a month the R2 trigger became weak and lost its resistance. It still worked, but it didn't feel right, and I couldn't get it fixed or returned here in Canada. Probably just a fluke, the actual service from playasia was good. Very fast and cheap shipping.[/quote]

Hmmm...yeah, that's definitely something I hadn't considered. I suppose maybe I should just get another black one, even though I would like to be able to differentiate between my two controllers.

[quote name='cssgoat']will the upcoming Trade 3 Get it Free Weekend deal from EB Games let me pre-order any game on their database and not on some "list"?[/quote]

If all else fails, just preorder something on the list, go back the next week and change it to whatever you want (with exceptions). Since trade 3 preorders aren't printed on your preorder slip (at least the time I preorder there wasn't), it shouldn't matter.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I ordered a Dual Shock 3 from playasia and ended up regretting it, ...[/quote]

You can't really blame Play-asia for a manufacturing defect on Sony's part. It's not that I want to defend P-A, more like I want to blame Sony. :D j/k

[quote name='DMPugh']Hmmm...yeah, that's definitely something I hadn't considered....[/quote]
The DS3 can be easily taken apart and put back together; I've done it a few times. You just have to press down to insert the L/R1 buttons with the casing closed rather than putting them back in with the casing still open.

[quote name='cssgoat']will the upcoming Trade 3 Get it Free Weekend deal from EB Games let me pre-order any game on their database and not on some "list"?[/QUOTE]

Yes, any New Release or Coming soon valued at $69.99 or less that's in their computer for pre-order.

[quote name='poiuiu']
You can't really blame Play-asia for a manufacturing defect on Sony's part. It's not that I want to defend P-A, more like I want to blame Sony. :D j/k[/quote]
I've never blamed them for that. I said I regretted ordering from them because when something went wrong I had no real return/repair options. I then went on to say playasia offered great service.

alright, thanks for the responses guys :)
I'm just making sure that I can pre-order any game that very weekend because I don't like how there's need to be a list around their counters... :booty:

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I've never blamed them for that. I said I regretted ordering from them because when something went wrong I had no real return/repair options. I then went on to say playasia offered great service.[/quote]
Just stating the obvious (something I tend to do) and then blaming Sony (something that can be fun :D).

However, it should be common knowledge that online stores are nothing like regular stores and whatever trouble is to come up, people will usually have to put up with it unless their TOS has a very friendly refund policy (more stating the obvious). This is why I haven't bought myself an import PS2 yet even tho I have a few games to play on it (cost being another reason).

[quote name='darkandlong']Has the postage for mailing a DVD in a bubble mailer gone up yet? Or is it still two bucks? Anyone know?[/quote]

Other Letter
Canada U.S.A. International Up to 100 g $1.15 $1.92 $3.75 Over 100g up to 200 g $1.92 $3.20 $6.40 Over 200g up to 500 g $2.65 $6.40 $12.80

From canadapost.ca

What's the best way to get WOW + 2 expansions as quickly and cheaply as possible?

Buy battle chest at $40 and wait for Lich?

Wait for battle chest sale at $30 (I don't know how often this happens) and wait for Lich?

Wait for Lich before getting everything?

I need to transfer a character too, which adds to the cost :( I don't know what to do, suggestions?

[quote name='Jest']Sign up for the 2 week free trial, use the clients they provide you, buy WotLK[/quote]

But even if you have both games installed you still have to pay to upgrade your account for both games. I didn't know that before :S

Hey guys, went to gamestop, bought a used game for $29.99. Used my edge card, total came out to $29.99. No tax was on the receipt at all. Was there a pricing error? I thought the edge card only game 10% off.

[quote name='shifty_37']Hey guys, went to gamestop, bought a used game for $29.99. Used my edge card, total came out to $29.99. No tax was on the receipt at all. Was there a pricing error? I thought the edge card only game 10% off.[/quote]

Credit on the EB EDGE card is tax free, so you only pay the nominal amount of your game/accessory/console, nothing more nothing less. You get an extra 10% off on used games/accessories if you buy the membership for the EDGE card (they put a yellow sticker on the back of your EDGE card) which I think costs $5.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Anyone know where I can score a disc-only copy of Rock Band 1 for PS3 for cheap? I saw it used at one store for $30 but I was hoping for better.[/quote]

Right now I'd say your best bet would be checking some Roger's Video's for a copy. They have their 30% off on used games going on right now... and last time I saw it there it was $29.99 (not sure if that was PS3 though), so it'd probably be the cheapest place to find it right now.

[quote name='craig64']Right now I'd say your best bet would be checking some Roger's Video's for a copy. They have their 30% off on used games going on right now... and last time I saw it there it was $29.99 (not sure if that was PS3 though), so it'd probably be the cheapest place to find it right now.[/quote]
Thanks for the tip.

Does anyone know if new GameCube controllers are still available in retail stores, and if so, how much they would be? Sightings in the GTA would be great, but I'm willing to buy online as a last option.

EB games is about your best place to find the regular controllers locally still instock at $29.99. Nintendo re-stocked stores when Smash Bros Brawl came out. Walmart had the cheepest price at $23.99 but they sold out pretty quick.
But if you can you should order the new white "Gamecube" one from Play Asia for the Wii. The cord is almost 10 feet which is better the Gamecubes regular controller length of 6 1/2.

[quote name='Kekumba']I have Steam guest passes for TF2, CS:S, DoD:S that expire tomorrow...anyone want them?[/quote]
I've wanted to pick up TF2 for PC for a long while. Are guest passes like trials or something? I've been out of PC gaming a LONG time.

Yeah, you can play the game for a few days.. I can try and send it to you now, not sure if it's still good, but you can try.

[quote name='TronB']Does anyone know if new GameCube controllers are still available in retail stores, and if so, how much they would be? Sightings in the GTA would be great, but I'm willing to buy online as a last option.[/quote]

I see silver GC controllers in Zellers for 24.99 often enough. You should try there if not check EBgames, they should have one or two.

Or I would suggest you order the white one from P-A but the shipping for that is 10 bucks and that's not worth paying that just to have twice the chord.

bread's done
Back