Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

Hi,

I have a question about ordering from http://www.rightstuf.com

Have people had good experiences ordering from them?
Are customs fees high if you order $150 worth of stuff? [to get the free shipping]

For people that have ordered from them for the first time, did you have to do the following?

"For first time international customers, for security purposes we require a copy of a form of ID (can be drivers license, passport, utility bill, etc.) which shows your address along with a photocopy of BOTH sides of your credit card. You may obscure a block of digits on the copy if you wish. Customer Service can provide you with a secure link to upload this information if you have it available as a scan, or you may fax it to us."

Thanks

Thanks For The Responses VetraX and Corizzle. i can't believe Amazon sells for $29.99 and everyone is basicly selling it for $59.99

looks like i'l have too break down and buy it on Amazon ( my first amazon purchase )

[quote name='AndyTwobeats']Hi,

I have a question about ordering from http://www.rightstuf.com

Have people had good experiences ordering from them?
Are customs fees high if you order $150 worth of stuff? [to get the free shipping]

For people that have ordered from them for the first time, did you have to do the following?

"For first time international customers, for security purposes we require a copy of a form of ID (can be drivers license, passport, utility bill, etc.) which shows your address along with a photocopy of BOTH sides of your credit card. You may obscure a block of digits on the copy if you wish. Customer Service can provide you with a secure link to upload this information if you have it available as a scan, or you may fax it to us."

Thanks[/QUOTE]
I've only ordered from them once, and because one of my items took like 4 months for them to get, my items were sent in two shipments. My order was pretty much spot on $150. I was hit with duties both times, about $20 for the first one (all the items inside were worth about $113-ish) and about $10 the second time (the DVD was like $37).

That was just my experience, I tried to be specific to give you an idea, but I can't say if others were hit with duties or not. Also, I never had to do the ID thing when I ordered. 0_o

[quote name='VetraX']
Wii
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Super Paper Mario
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
SSX Blur
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

PS3
InFamous
Heavy Rain
Folklore

[/QUOTE]
In addition to what was already said, Muramasa can be found for 25 used at BBV and it's generally easy to find.
ZnW is 15 bucks used at EBgames and should be easy enough to find one copy.
Infamous should be easily found for 20 bucks used at BBV.

i was wondering what was the best bang for your buck when purchasing XBL points cards. do some cost tax while others do not? is it better to get it bundled with a gold membership or with a game or something like that? if u buy points in bulk do they cost less? i basically just need someone to school me on xbl points!

[quote name='TronB']I've only ordered from them once, and because one of my items took like 4 months for them to get, my items were sent in two shipments. My order was pretty much spot on $150. I was hit with duties both times, about $20 for the first one (all the items inside were worth about $113-ish) and about $10 the second time (the DVD was like $37).

That was just my experience, I tried to be specific to give you an idea, but I can't say if others were hit with duties or not. Also, I never had to do the ID thing when I ordered. 0_o
[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much for the help. :D
I'll try ordering from them then.
Hopefully I won't have to do that ID / credit card scanning, it sounds a little over the top to me.

[quote name='slyn69']i was wondering what was the best bang for your buck when purchasing XBL points cards. do some cost tax while others do not? is it better to get it bundled with a gold membership or with a game or something like that? if u buy points in bulk do they cost less? i basically just need someone to school me on xbl points![/QUOTE]

My personal preference when buying MS points cards is to wait for when Futureshop or Bset Buy has a customer appreciation sale and they give 25% off on video game accessories. Basically, you'll be able to get a 1400 MS points card for $15 (plus tax) or a 2800 MS points card for $30 (plus tax). Occasionally, Toys"R"Us (and sometimes Staples) gives $5 off on a 1400 MSP card as well.

[quote name='picklepopcorn']does anyone know where I can find a [cheap] copy of OVERLORD for xbox360? I've searched everrrrywhere. I really want this game! thanks.[/QUOTE]

Okay, I know this isn't exactly cheap, but I spotted the original Overlord (360) for $39.99 at Toys"R"Us. Strangley enough, Toys"R"Us carries Overlord II at $19.99.

[quote name='cashinstinct']Wii:
SSX Blur: $9.99 BBV used will be tough to find, saw it at BBV 1-2 years ago, I owned that game more than 1 time, it was $8+ TIV a long time ago.

Zack & Wiki: $9.99 BBV used will be tough to find, saw it at BBV 1-2 years ago... it was similar priced at WMT I think???

PS3:

InFamous: was $20 at FS or BB recently

Heavy Rain $39.99 BBV used, will be tough to find because of its value of $35 EB credit

Folklore $2.49 BBV used , will be tough/impossible to find because of cheap price[/QUOTE]

Zack & Wiki is now $4.95 at the blockbusters in Calgary, I've been told. Getting someone to pick it up for me. Excellent price.

I managed to get SSX Blur off Ebay for $2, so alls well there.

Folklore I can't find anywhere, especially for that low a price. Might have to resort to Ebay.

Cheers for the sources and suggestions :D and thank you Clark.Griswold and Poiuiu for your input aswell. Much appreciated!

Why did this thread get moved? It's been in the other forum for as long as I've been on CAG, like 2 years.

Anyway, is there a store that sells Pokemon Soul Silver/Heart Gold for under $40?

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Why did this thread get moved? It's been in the other forum for as long as I've been on CAG, like 2 years.[/QUOTE]
I was just about to comment on it as well. Can we move it back? I don't come here as often and since this one is at the top all the time I may miss something else.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

I'm also in agreement. Bad move by whoever moved it :(

BTW Zack & Wiki was $2.61 in the end at Blockbuster, but I didn't get original case or manual - which sucks, but the game itself for that much is a steal.

Is it so hard to click 'Deal Requests, Shopping Discussions & Bragging Rights [Canada]' at the top? Kudos to the mod's for moving all the bunk threads in here, although I agree this particular thread could've stayed where it was. Still, consistency is nice.

[quote name='VetraX']I'm also in agreement. Bad move by whoever moved it :(

BTW Zack & Wiki was $2.61 in the end at Blockbuster, but I didn't get original case or manual - which sucks, but the game itself for that much is a steal.[/QUOTE]
There are console cover websites online where you can print them out.

If you bought the game at BBV they will usually give you a case from another cheap used game if you didn't get a Wii case either. If you are lucky they'll have the rental copy and give you the cover and/or manual as well.

[quote name='game_fanatic']Is it so hard to click 'Deal Requests, Shopping Discussions & Bragging Rights [Canada]' at the top? Kudos to the mod's for moving all the bunk threads in here, although I agree this particular thread could've stayed where it was. Still, consistency is nice.[/QUOTE]
Yes it sort of is actually. I load literally hundreds of pages per day and a few less clicks wouldn't hurt along the way. Not just that, I think this thread was a great general dumping ground in the main part of the Canada forum. I bet it actually saved a lot of unnecessary new threads. Moving it here will do more harm than good imo.

Yeah, every time I had a random question I'd post it in here instead of making a new thread. There are gonna be a whole lot more threads in the other forum now asking simple questions.

Clark, in regards to your first point, laziness isn't a good excuse. I agree with your second point. Snake Eyes deliberately posted a new thread about Pokemon or something, despite knowing such threads were moved into the appropriate forum. It's a shame a veteran CAG cannot post a thread in the right location.

I checked Dell after reading his Pokemon question post. I remember seeing last week someone had it for $33, I was trying to remember where and checked Dell again and found the deal. It was $40 last night.

My sons been asking me to find it on sale somewhere everyday for the last few weeks. 10 minutes ago he just finished telling me $40 is too much for a DS game and he won't buy it till it's cheeper. Every store we go into he checks the price. He'll have a surprise Monday when the currier shows up.

[quote name='game_fanatic']Clark, in regards to your first point, laziness isn't a good excuse. I agree with your second point. Snake Eyes deliberately posted a new thread about Pokemon or something, despite knowing such threads were moved into the appropriate forum. It's a shame a veteran CAG cannot post a thread in the right location.[/QUOTE]
Speaking of irony. This coming from someone withGeorge Costanza as their avatar is pretty ironic.

George is my idol by the way.

[quote name='Princess Zelda']My sons been asking me to find it on sale somewhere everyday for the last few weeks. 10 minutes ago he just finished telling me $40 is too much for a DS game and he won't buy it till it's cheeper. Every store we go into he checks the price.[/QUOTE]

cheap ass son, nice :cool:

[quote name='VetraX']Just a question that I didn't know where else to post, but...how do I change my avatar? =/[/QUOTE]

Near the top of the page where it says "Retailers" there's a little cog symbol. Click that and a drop down menu should appear giving you the avatar option.

Does anyone know how cheap DS Lites ever get, and how often they're on sale? My launch one is acting up and I want to retain the GBA slot so I'm not interested in a DSi. Thanks.

Well played. I love the Office. I annoy the hell out of my coworkers with That's what she said lines all the time.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Does anyone know how cheap DS Lites ever get, and how often they're on sale? My launch one is acting up and I want to retain the GBA slot so I'm not interested in a DSi. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Well if you get lucky, the best (new) deal I've seen is on sale for $99.99 at RCSS combined with a no tax event. Although those are like rednecks and fine wine. Rarely seen together.

Heheh nice one. My DS top screen turns white if I tilt it up at a 90 degree angle and it doesn't always recognize that there's a game in it. I wonder if I could just dismantle it and check the screen connector and clean the contacts or something.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Heheh nice one. My DS top screen turns white if I tilt it up at a 90 degree angle and it doesn't always recognize that there's a game in it. I wonder if I could just dismantle it and check the screen connector and clean the contacts or something.[/QUOTE]
You could probably just replace the screen. Order one check from Deal Extreme / eBay and install it yourself. Or if you check kijiji there are usually local guys that do console repairs.

That or just wait for a few months until the 3DS comes out.

Don't really want a 3DS cause you lose the GBA support, maybe after it's been out for a year I'd consider it based on the game library. The fact is mine still works totally fine and the problems it has don't really affect me, I'm just looking for ways to rationalize getting a brand new blue one! I think I'd really consider getting one for $100 but I don't know. Saw some on kijiji for $80-110ish but I wouldn't buy a used console. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Oh yeah, anyone know what EB pays for a used DS Lite? And also, are dead pixels very common with them? My launch one had none but I read that some did. I'd want to buy a new one from a store with a good return policy.

Anyone know if there is still new copies of Dirt 2 at FS/BS. I check the store availability online and nothing comes out for PS3.. only PC,Xbox360 and PSP... Amazon.ca is out of stock and don't know if it will be available again. Is the game discontinued for PS3? :cry:

haven't had any dead pixels ever. not on my original DS which i haven't checked in years.. but it still works nor my first black DSL which I lost on a train (good by MPrime Hunters Demo) nor my second black DSL which I still rock.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Don't really want a 3DS cause you lose the GBA support, maybe after it's been out for a year I'd consider it based on the game library. The fact is mine still works totally fine and the problems it has don't really affect me, I'm just looking for ways to rationalize getting a brand new blue one! I think I'd really consider getting one for $100 but I don't know. Saw some on kijiji for $80-110ish but I wouldn't buy a used console. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Oh yeah, anyone know what EB pays for a used DS Lite? And also, are dead pixels very common with them? My launch one had none but I read that some did. I'd want to buy a new one from a store with a good return policy.[/QUOTE]

Recently, they offered $40 + $50 bonus credit during July (it was $30 + $50 bonus) for DS Lite when they traded DS Lite for a new console.

You would only get $30 now I assume considering there is no promo.

They probably have thousands of DS Lite and do not know what they are doing.

[quote name='Dashboard']Anyone know if there is still new copies of Dirt 2 at FS/BS. I check the store availability online and nothing comes out for PS3.. only PC,Xbox360 and PSP... Amazon.ca is out of stock and don't know if it will be available again. Is the game discontinued for PS3? :cry:[/QUOTE]

some local stores probably still have it, i remember seeing nascar08 & skate1 over half a year ago, where they were gone from the website

check some other stores or just goozex/rogers/blockbuster it

Does Best Buy trade-in credit ever expire?

I have $200 sitting around from about a month and half ago and I don't want to forfeit it.

[quote name='spzero']Does Best Buy trade-in credit ever expire?

I have $200 sitting around from about a month and half ago and I don't want to forfeit it.[/QUOTE]
No, never expires. It's actually a law now that gift cards can't expire.

May/may not be the adequate place to post this, if not I'll gladly hassle amod to move or edit this post.

I have a friend up in Canada who would like to take advantage of the lower ms points prices down here in the states. I know points codes are region locked and won't work w/ his account. What I would like to know if it's common practice for others in similar situations to create a silver US account on the same Xbox to use US ms point codes to download the content to use w/ their Canadian gamertag? Outside of having to move the licenses for the DLC to a new Xbox in the event of a RROD are there any other cons to worry about?

Anyone able to shed some insight and/or thoughts? Thanks =]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Clark.Griswold']No, never expires. It's actually a law now that gift cards can't expire.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. This isn't the first time you've assisted me Mr. Griswold

[quote name='Clark.Griswold']No, never expires. It's actually a law now that gift cards can't expire.[/QUOTE]

I think it's a province-by-province basis.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']I think it's a province-by-province basis.[/QUOTE]
I thought it was Canada wide, my bad. Do you know what provinces they still CAN expire in?

Another question -

So in terms of those trade 2 + $ deals for EB games or any deal of that variety where it specifically asks for case + manual, can the Forza 3 CE work for that?

I called an EB games a few days ago and they said that for the CE, they only accept the game disk and they don't care for the extra goodies. However, if anyone has seen the case for the Forza 3 CE, it's just a regular black case with a different cover that has no serial code or anything of the sort. Do you think that works as well?

[quote name='spzero']Another question -

So in terms of those trade 2 + $ deals for EB games or any deal of that variety where it specifically asks for case + manual, can the Forza 3 CE work for that?

I called an EB games a few days ago and they said that for the CE, they only accept the game disk and they don't care for the extra goodies. However, if anyone has seen the case for the Forza 3 CE, it's just a regular black case with a different cover that has no serial code or anything of the sort. Do you think that works as well?[/QUOTE]

Probably depends on the rep.. might have to go to a couple of stores before you find someone who will take it for a promo.

[quote name='spzero']Another question -

I called an EB games a few days ago and they said that for the CE, they only accept the game disk and they don't care for the extra goodies. However, if anyone has seen the case for the Forza 3 CE, it's just a regular black case with a different cover that has no serial code or anything of the sort. Do you think that works as well?[/QUOTE]
As long as the game has a cover and manual you should have no problems with it being accepted for promos.

bread's done
Back