Canadian Questions & Answers Thread

gamer602

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I've seen so many different thrread that the forum is getting messy. Since we have an official trading thread, maybe we can have an official one for questions too, because after all, this is the Canadian HOT DEALS forum! It's not right when we have more questions than deals. You can ask any question you wan there, ranging from the cheapest 360, HDTVGame delays, Canadian game rental sites all the way to where the cheapest copy of Burnout is. I can assure you that you will get the same amout of replies here, if not more!

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

Region locked. Tried using a US and EU PSN card on my Canadian PSN, and it wouldn't work. US PSN cards have to be used on US accounts.

blast.. the internet should make it easier to move. i mean seriously what a pain in the neck. and now that paypal doesn't let me generate virtual CCs anymore I'm kinda stuck on what to do.

A few questions! Best deals on the following (Toronto area):

PSP 3000
Dante's Inferno (PS3)
Alan Wake (360)
God of War Collection (PS3)
Army of Two: 40th Day (360)
Alpha Protocol (PS3)
Dead to Rights (PS3)
Forza 3 (360)
Nier (PS3)

Thank you!

[quote name='VetraX']Region locked. Tried using a US and EU PSN card on my Canadian PSN, and it wouldn't work. US PSN cards have to be used on US accounts.[/QUOTE]
I can confirm, US card wouldn't redeem on my Canadian account. Most if not all other codes are cross-compatible between Canada/US but not money codes.

[quote name='Norieaga']A few questions! Best deals on the following (Toronto area):

PSP 3000
Dante's Inferno (PS3)
Alan Wake (360)
God of War Collection (PS3)
Army of Two: 40th Day (360)
Alpha Protocol (PS3)
Dead to Rights (PS3)
Forza 3 (360)
Nier (PS3)

Thank you![/QUOTE]

Did you try searching the usual suspects? Check out the websites for VideoGamesPlus, Future Shop, Best Buy, Amazon, GameStop...check out the flyer thread to see if there are any sales.
Dante's Inferno is $9.99 at the Sony Store right now, YMMV though.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I'm thinking about getting a Guitar Hero 5 guitar. Anyone have any tips/suggestions other than Best Buy's $50 price tag?[/QUOTE]

depending on where you are, check craigslist...i was not sure about it, but i just got a mint GH5 guitar and brand new rock band 2 drums for $75.

Also, check out your local blockbusters...I found a GH: Aerosmith guitar + game bundle for $30. It's not the GH5 guitar, but it's a cheap alternative.

I'd be extremely hesitant to buy a used guitar/music accessory since they have a tendency to break through usage. I wouldn't know how many hours of use were on something, risky. I'll check though, see what I come up with. It would have to be pretty cheap for me to buy used vs $50 new.

Just wondering if anyone has seen if NBA Jam (for the 360) will be sold in Canada? So far I can only find it listed on American sites so just checking to see about Canadian availability.

Every game sold in the US is also Canada. The Canadian sites usually list games later than most of the US ones. Amazon.com will list stuff that doesn't appear on .ca til months later.

[quote name='cm matty']Also, check out your local blockbusters...I found a GH: Aerosmith guitar + game bundle for $30. It's not the GH5 guitar, but it's a cheap alternative.[/QUOTE]
sold. Since I decided to switch to PS3 for my music games I need a guitar and I don't have Aerosmith for the PS3 either. off to blockbuster I go.

I ended up getting the GH5 guitar from Best Buy at $50. Pleased with it, I think it has a better strum bar than the Rock Band 2 guitar and the fret buttons are different but I don't really prefer one style to the other.

Hello all,

Is there a minimum trade in value a game has to be at before it can be used for a power trade?

Thank you in advance!

Hi all,

I've been considering buying things from play-asia.com [figures, not games]
Have people had good experiences dealing with them?
Is shipping reasonable etc.

Thanks in advance.

[quote name='wplayer']Hello all,

Is there a minimum trade in value a game has to be at before it can be used for a power trade?

Thank you in advance![/QUOTE]

The site doesn't mention minimum trade value, so probably not.
http://www.gamestop.ca/tradeins

Valid on PlayStation 3, PSP, Wii, Nintendo DS and Xbox 360 trade games only. Total trade-in credit cannot exceed the retail price of the item being purchased. Games must include boxes and instructions. No duplicate titles accepted. Some titles may be excluded. While supplies last. Offer may be discontinued at any time. Valid in Canada only. Trade credit not offered at all EB Games/Gamestop locations. See in-store for complete details.

I used Play-Asia a lot when I was in the states. They are reliable and fast, and I never had a problem with their cheapest shipping option. No issues with any of my orders, which were mostly DS games and the occasional PS3 game.

I've also used HLJ for figures. They are also reliable, fast, and without issue.

You can't go wrong with either one.

[quote name='blandstalker']I used Play-Asia a lot when I was in the states. They are reliable and fast, and I never had a problem with their cheapest shipping option. No issues with any of my orders, which were mostly DS games and the occasional PS3 game.

I've also used HLJ for figures. They are also reliable, fast, and without issue.

You can't go wrong with either one.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TronB']I just got into figure collecting, and I've ordered from HobbyLink Japan and AmiAmi, had great experiences with both. Can't say anything about play-asia though.

http://www.hlj.com/
http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=english

When I asked about this a few months ago, Hobby Search was mentioned as well.
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the help you two :D much appreciated!

[quote name='TronB']I just got into figure collecting, and I've ordered from HobbyLink Japan and AmiAmi, had great experiences with both. Can't say anything about play-asia though.

http://www.hlj.com/
http://www.amiami.jp/shop/?set=english

When I asked about this a few months ago, Hobby Search was mentioned as well.
http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/[/QUOTE]I can't recall if I was the one who recommended it or what, but yes Hobby Search is pretty good, just ordered Black Rock Shooter of'em.

And I can vouch for play-asia, haven't had any issues in all the years I've ordered from them. That and $5 off $50 coupons are nice.

I'm too lazy to search through the posts but I think you were the one who recommended HS. :)

I didn't order BRS, but did you hear about how GSC forgot a part on her outfit? The yellow star on the jacket, I believe? Apparently some sort of decal will be sent as a replacement...

I wonder if this will have any affect on shipments from Japan to Canada, or if it only affects things to the US:
http://www.japanprobe.com/2010/11/1...strictions-on-shipments-to-the-united-states/

Looks like Hobby Link Japan is unaffected, but I'm not sure about other sites:
http://www.hlj.com/announcement/ems-shipping.html

I'm now contemplating between buying from them, or from
http://www.amiami.jp/shop?set=english

The things I want are cheaper at AmiAmi, but I don't like that it doesn't tell you how much shipping will be before you place an order. It doesn't help that it doesn't tell you how much things weigh lol.

Anyone know if EB Games ever got the limited edition for Ys: The Oath of Felghana? I'm interested in picking this series up, but I can't even find this game, normal or collectors version, listed on their website.

[quote name='TronB']
I didn't order BRS, but did you hear about how GSC forgot a part on her outfit? The yellow star on the jacket, I believe? Apparently some sort of decal will be sent as a replacement...
[/QUOTE]Mine showed up a few weeks ago. Its missing the decal so I contacted Hobbysearch about it. They're sending me the replacement star "stickers" for the figure, 2 postcards and 2 letters (one in Japanese, the other in English).

Good to hear you'll be getting your star to stick onto BRS, plus extras! Although what are you going to do with a letter in Japanese haha.
-----
I solved my Ys question, I just went to an eb games myself and bought a sealed copy of the LE. I have no idea why that game isn't listed on their website.

Keep it as a memento :razz:?

Edit: Well here is the email anyhow

Dear Customer,

Hello, this is HOBBY SEARCH and we are terribly sorry for the trouble.

Since we are going to send the following items about the issue of the white star.

1. Eight stickers of the white star.
2. Two postcards for conpensation.
3. A letter written in Japanese
4. A letter translated into English

Again, we are deeply sorry for the trouble and we hope everything will be fine.

Sincerely Yours,
Atsu HAYASHI

Edit Edit: Received decals and postcards today. They included a youtube video on how to apply the decal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh_ly5zvzow

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey All,Being the only Canadian vendor, that Ive noticed, would you be interested in me making a single thread here and keep it updated with our current specials? Ive posted a few times in the Vendor Sales forum, but seems to get buried under the US deals...I know this is not typical Vendor rules, but figured Canadian members could benefit by having them here. - J

Does anyone have Bell Fibe TV? I've had Rogers HD for several years and the service is kind of going down the crapper. Not willing to get Satellite but the Fibe looks interesting. Apparently you're forced to use Fibe for internet too, I would switch both TV and Internet if the download caps are high enough.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']Does anyone have Bell Fibe TV? I've had Rogers HD for several years and the service is kind of going down the crapper. Not willing to get Satellite but the Fibe looks interesting. Apparently you're forced to use Fibe for internet too, I would switch both TV and Internet if the download caps are high enough.[/QUOTE]

Make sure you can get it in your area. I was all set to go with Bell Fibe and they don't offer the service where I live. It's not like we live in the middle of nowhere, either.

I actually work for Bell and do the fibre installs. You aren't forced to take internet with the tv, I have done installs without internet. But we do have to put a internet modem in since it is what runs the tv. And honestly, you would be crazy not to take fibre internet if you have the option.

There is no download cap whatsoever, and the slowest speed offered is 10meg down, 2up. Depending on what tv package you order (and I'm guessing you are going HD with pvr) you would probably end up with 25mg down/5up.

If you have any other questions I will do my best to answer them for you.

It is available at my postal code, I checked. Yes, I want the PVR. On their website it says internet comes with the TV, this is what I read "Both services are required, so when you sign up for Fibe TV, you’re also signing up for great Internet." I would not be opposed to switching internet at all (from bell business with no apparent cap) as long as the Fibe internet download cap isn't too low. I was looking at the Fibe Internet packages and it seems like the highest one is 75GB/month. I'm not sure if that'll be enough for me, it could be. I don't know how much I use now. Thanks for answering me, that's great.

By cap I mean the amount you can download/upload per month.

I'm not sure where you are seeing anything about a download/upload cap, I certainly don't see it anywhere online, and I am 99% sure it doesn't exists. I work in New Brunswick (and I think NB is the only place with fibre right now) but if you are elsewhere than maybe it varies from place to place.
Like I said, you don't have to take internet to get the tv, but would be crazy not to. They try to make you take both but if you call in you can pick or choose (like getting internet only and not tv).

Well I was just looking at their Fibe Internet page http://www.bell.ca/shopping/PrsShpInt_Access.page , and they have 6 packages. I assumed that when you get Fibe internet with your Fibe TV you would choose one of those 6 packages. Each of those packages has a certain download limit. I also read on some user forums that you get the Fibe 6 internet package with Fibe TV. Fibe 6 has 25GB download/month. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just telling you where I got this info.

Where are you located? I am going to guess Ontario. The info I have been giving you is for New Brunswick. Packages are different in Ontario than the Maritimes. Quite crappy actually.

does rogers plus ever accept returns on used games?

does eb games participate in scop?

what is eb's edge card? how to apply? is it free?

what is rogers plus star points(right name?)? how to apply? is it free?

had to ask..i just jumped into the scene of game trading/flipping :roll:

You have to pay $10/year to be a Rogers star member. You earn one point per rental or purchase, and then you can redeem 10 points for a free rental or 20 points for $10 off a purchase. I think there are ways to get bonus points for trade ins or something, not sure on the details. When I first signed up the membership came with 2 free rentals so it was a no brainer, when it came time to renew they said I get nothing for renewing so I didn't. After that they would email me a better and better offer each month for renewing until I'm finally willing to renew, going to do it next time I'm there. I think their most recent offer was to get 20 points for renewing. Kind of sucks that I had to play chicken with them and wait for like 4-5 months before they actually were willing to make renewing worth my $10.

Oh yeah you can't do trade ins at Rogers without a star rewards membership.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ka-boom057']does rogers plus ever accept returns on used games?

does eb games participate in scop?

what is eb's edge card? how to apply? is it free?

what is rogers plus star points(right name?)? how to apply? is it free?

had to ask..i just jumped into the scene of game trading/flipping :roll:[/QUOTE]

The Edge card is $5, just ask a clerk to get you set up with one. You do not need an edge card to do trades. You save 10% off used game and accessory purchases

Anyone know a place in Toronto that'll give me decent cash for paperback books? I want to sell some I haven't read yet and buy Kindle versions but it looks like people on Kijiji are selling the ones I have ($11 cover price, $10 on Amazon.ca) for $2-5, I was hoping for a little more since the Kindle versions are $8.

So, looks like my PS3 YLODed. It's a 60GB first year model, and I turn it on, it cycles through the lights and just blinks red. I can't reach the debug menu. I bought it in the states and it's well out of warranty.

Looks like my options are:

- Send it to Sony, where it will cost $225, I'll lose my data, and who knows what I'll get back

- repair it

- get someone to repair it

- buy a new PS3

If I repair it myself, it's nothing but a temporary fix. I could get at my data then, but it's still gonna die, so I might as well buy a new PS3.

I'm pretty much not in favor of going the Sony route, as I'll get a refurb and that's just a crapshoot, and an expensive one at that. I can get a Move bundle PS3 for $350 from Costco, which is not cheap, but seems to be a better long-term solution than an expensive refurb.

I'm in Cambridge. I've looked in the KW area, and there are places that do the reflow, but none that I see that do the reball. Are there any places in the GTA that do it? Also, anyone know if the reball is a permanent fix or just another temporary (though better) fix?

[quote name='blandstalker']So, looks like my PS3 YLODed. It's a 60GB first year model, and I turn it on, it cycles through the lights and just blinks red. I can't reach the debug menu. I bought it in the states and it's well out of warranty.

Looks like my options are:

- Send it to Sony, where it will cost $225, I'll lose my data, and who knows what I'll get back

- repair it

- get someone to repair it

- buy a new PS3

If I repair it myself, it's nothing but a temporary fix. I could get at my data then, but it's still gonna die, so I might as well buy a new PS3.

I'm pretty much not in favor of going the Sony route, as I'll get a refurb and that's just a crapshoot, and an expensive one at that. I can get a Move bundle PS3 for $350 from Costco, which is not cheap, but seems to be a better long-term solution than an expensive refurb.

I'm in Cambridge. I've looked in the KW area, and there are places that do the reflow, but none that I see that do the reball. Are there any places in the GTA that do it? Also, anyone know if the reball is a permanent fix or just another temporary (though better) fix?[/QUOTE]

Same thing happened to me over the summer. I had it reflowed and then traded it to EB for $175 when they had the $50 bump up promo.

It's not worth the headache in the long run. Sure, I missed PS2 emulation, but then I found out the joys of PS2 emulation on the PC. Shop around for a PS3 Slim - if you have one thing positive going for you, it's the fact that it died on you when there is a lot of sales on PS3 bundles.

Does anyone know if Best Buy and Futureshop take trade-in games that came in a bundle, for example this PS3 bundle that comes with a hockey game and infamous. I was wondering if they say something on the back like "not for resale" and the store would reject it? They're giving away that NHL game in the bundle and the trade in is $40.

does EBgames/Futureshop/Bestbuy Canada accept used games from the states and vice versa???

What is EBGames return policy for new (but gutted by EB) games?

um.. games are games. they'll take them back no matter what. Even if they could somehow tell from the box it wasn't from Canada originally.. you could just trade in the disc and since we're all the same region they wouldn't know.

When you buy a 'gutted' game. They put a clear sticker on it. now it's officially 'sealed' and you can return it like a sealed game if you don't break that sticker. If you DO break that sticker .. you can return it like any other used game.

and just for the record both of those statements should apply across the border in both directions. I don't know how they would handle a european PS2 game since those wouldn't play back but Canada/US... no biggie.

how interesting, i just checked gt5 & lbp2ce, the discs are all english, only the covers & manuals have the french stuff

that's a canadian thing. In canada you have to have french on the wrapping. Or you have to make a french copy (GoWIII) So every game in Canada has french text. But the games themselves are no different. Sometimes what they do is take the straight up US plastic wrapped game and put a En/Fr cover on it and then double wrap it. That's why some games are bulkier up here. There's a french manual wrapped on front of the box. Usually they just stick it inside but sometimes it's outside.

ya, some of them have separate manuals, others are both languages on 1 manual

for some reason i assumed the disc labels would be similar

bread's done
Back