Captain America: The Winter Soldier - (April Box Office Record)

I hope like red skull makes a return but it wasn't really red skull the whole time it was ben kingsley in a mask

Even if Gravity was converted to 3D and IMAX via DMR, it was the best use of 3D I've ever seen in the theater, without question.   Most of the 3D movies I've seen have been in IMAX and it does make the 3D look "better" compared to other non-IMAX 3D releases I've seen, mostly because it's a wider and taller screen. .

It may also be that some of the IMAX screens out there are the "lite" version of IMAX that some people have talked about, where the screen size isn't "right" for the "true" IMAX experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://lfexaminer.com/searchtheater.asp

I was very worried seeing Gravity in 3d/imax because of the scope of the space scenes and the spinning.  I did see it in normal 3d and was ok.  I think what you are taking about is what I talked about before, the up converting of a movie not filmed in IMAX unscaled to IMAX format.  It is a very sneaky business practice that theater owners like to put on us.  I don't understand why there are reports that movie ticket sales are DOWN , yet the prices GO UP AND there are usually a good amount of people in the theater. 

Anyways lets get back to the topic of the movie.

Release date says 4/4 but the theaters around me have 7 pm showings on 4/3 Thursday.  There's even an IMAX showing that day.

This happens with

Release date says 4/4 but the theaters around me have 7 pm showings on 4/3 Thursday. There's even an IMAX showing that day.
This happens often with highly anticipated movies.... I am glad that movie studios are OK'ing with theater owners allowing to show the movie at 7/8/9/10pm instead of the usual midnight showings. Sometimes seeing a movie at midnight can make you so tired when you get out at 2:30/3am in the morning and then having to go to work the next day.

Fandango states there's an 7 minute difference between the 2d & 3d versions.  I know it wasn't shot in 3d so I'm not sure what the 7 minute discrepancy would be.

*edit*

Nevermind, according to reddit (take that as you will) both cuts are exactly the same length and it was just a discrepancy with the studio.

8pm and overpriced 3d/RPX.  :(

However it was a win win for me as I used two FREE tickets I earned from Regal and just paid 6.50 per ticket :D

That's pretty crazy to watch a midnight showing and go to work the next morning (assuming you got an 8am/9am job).  Same goes for midnight releases for games.  Only time I've ever done those are when I have the next day scheduled off.  I used to be able to be up until 3am playing games but as I've gotten older now whenever I last until midnight I'm just about ready to pass out. 

For movies, I've always preferred the early bird showing on Friday mornings since they never sell out and I'm well rested to really enjoy the movie.   It also sucks that the bigger the crowd you have, the more likely you run into those idiots that disturb everybody around them while the movie is going on. 

Some places give out free posters or other crap..but to be honest...unless you have a place to put them it just ends up lying around. 

So for those that have seen this in IMAX... is the IMAX worth it? I saw Iron Man 3 in an IMAX theater, and wasn't very impressed.

Saw it today.  It's pretty good. I'd say up there with Iron Man 1 and Avengers.  It's got good action, the plot is interesting and has good instances of humor.  The character building is decent, but doesn't overstay its' welcome.  A MUCH MUCH MUCH improved sequel over the first Captain America film, which just did nothing after the first act.

As for IMAX, while I didn't see it in IMAX, I can't think seeing it in IMAX would add anything.

So, I noticed how people whined about how Captain America: The First Avenger wasn't gritty and edgy enough because the Cap didn't kill enough Nazis like the Basterds. Will this movie add fire to the flame?

I read the io9 review and I think I am excited about this movie. Captain America doesn't need to be edgy or "kickass" because he has to be. He's a great hero because of the virtue of his character, something the writers of the Man of Steel forgot. Seeing how SHIELD is portrayed in Agents of SHIELD, it's pretty much like the CIA in Burn Notice/Alias/Chuck/etc, it would be refreshing to have a hero that doesn't play by their contradictory and soul sucking rules.

So for those that have seen this in IMAX... is the IMAX worth it? I saw Iron Man 3 in an IMAX theater, and wasn't very impressed.
My co-worker recommended I see this in IMAX because you get to see the whole scope of the action.

I'll be seeing this tonight.

So, I noticed how people whined about how Captain America: The First Avenger wasn't gritty and edgy enough because the Cap didn't kill enough Nazis like the Basterds. Will this movie add fire to the flame?

I read the io9 review and I think I am excited about this movie.
Funny is that my co-worker who saw this last night hated, I mean hated the 1st Cap film, but loved this new one.

I don't want to have high expectations, I'll be seeing this tonight hopefully.

*sigh* It wasn't filmed in IMAX you fool!

After today's episode, I really recommend not seeing this in 3d.  The camera work was very shaky during some of the up close fight scenes which after awhile gave me a headache.  I started getting one off and on during the movie and this morning I had a really bad one as well.

Wow had no idea it's so violent. Doesn't feel like an Avengers movie at all.

Great action throughout! Best fight scenes!

Best and most mature Marvel movie. Age of Ultron is going to be interesting.

Outstanding action movie. They didn't F around. The action starts up about 15 minutes in and continues without a lull for another 2 hours. Black widow really shines. I was still on the fence about her after The Avengers, but she's definitely in my like column now. Falcon is extremely likable. Surprising kill count and violence level. Still fine for families (little blood/gore), but definitely one of the more mature Marvel movies. Top 3 comic book movie for sure. Don't miss this one!

, but definitely one of the more mature Marvel movies. Top 3 comic book movie for sure. Don't miss this one!
good to hear. Loved thor 2 but the funny comical scenes really annoyed me. Asgard is in ruins, earth is about to blow up but theres still time for quips and jokes

So the rumors for the third movie is going to be William Burnside as the villain AKA insane Cold War era Captain America. If they're basically just following the Brubaker run of the character, I'm totally down with that minus the time bullets.

saw this in IMAX last night and it didn't disappoint.  Great movie that never slows down.  Personally I think its the best of the Phase 2 movies so far.

Saw it in 3D yesterday. I could have done without the 3D, but it was an earlier showing with a smaller crowd. Otherwise, fucking spectacular movie! Easily one of Marvel's best, don't miss this one.

My theater also had a couple stacks of posters for X-Men: Days of Future Past, so I walked out with two.

It's amazing. 

Do NOT click my spoiler unless you have seen the movie, major plot detail involved. 

Seriously. Dont want to be accused of spoiling this great movie by anyone. 

I am really curious as to how this will tie into age of ultron and even more importantly just how close of a tie agents of shield is supposed to have with the cinematic universe will shield being no more. Supposedly they showed the movie to the cast of the show and at the end they were like so umm do we have a job still? Crazy that they would just blow up shield like that. I have really grown to like the show, it was clunky at first but the last few episodes, starting with loreli (or however you spell) have gotten really good.

Implications for age of ultron are probably less dramatic than the tv show, but still interesting to how it is incorporated since age of ultron is taking place after cap 2.

I might have missed something, but I have a question regarding the movie.

Does Fury's left eye have its own personnel file with its own access?  I cant figure out why if Pierce locked Fury out of the system, his other eye would make any difference when it should still tie back to Fury.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in my showing who caught the Nick Fury easter egg near the end because I was the only one to laugh out loud:

The inscription on Nick Fury's gravestone partially read "The path of the righteous man..."   Maybe with S.H.I.E.L.D. disbanded he wanders the Earth like Caine in Kung Fu (another Pulp Fiction reference - sorry, couldn't help myself)

News:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/04/international-box-office-spanish-affairs-becomes-top-grossing-spanish-movie-of-all-time-captain-america-divergent/

CinemaScore of "A" with a 95% rating and 90% audience rating.

USA - Sets April Box Office Record.

International - Debuted with almost $40 million in China, the highest Marvel movie debut in China beating out Avengers; Captain America highest debut in communist China - let that marinate for a second. Third largest Marvel movie opening in Russia - they love their Black Widow.

I still find it kickass that most countries allowed it to still be called Captain America, even the first film.

So the rumors for the third movie is going to be William Burnside as the villain AKA insane Cold War era Captain America. If they're basically just following the Brubaker run of the character, I'm totally down with that minus the time bullets.
‏@BoxOffice 41s

Disney has now officially confirmed CAPTAIN AMERICA 3 for release on May 6, 2016. #CaptainAmerica3

Ok, now that the weekend is over I can now speak about it without spoiler tags.

Yes it was a good movie...however not worth seeing it in 3d/IMAX.  I can't recall any particular scene where the 3d popped out.

I honestly think that this movie should have been called something else besides the Winter Soldier.

-It's had too much "Who can you trust?  Who works for HYDRA?" in it.  Made you think so basically every bad guy in Phase one and Phase two were working or connected to Hydra?  Would that would mean that Obadiah Stane, Justin Hammer, Aldrich Killian, Ivan Vanko and so on had ties to Hydra?

-I didn't like the fact that certain likeable characters where Hydra agents and were killed off, such as  Jasper Sitwell.  It's like hey man , then get thrown out of a car and died.

-Much of the back story for the WS was not really shown. So it was Zola who experimented on him and turned him into the WS instead of the Soviets?  Don't recall any soviet connection in the film.

-First Fury was all supportive of the Insight Project , then after talking to captain America he decides to push for a delay, which makes him a target for the WS? um huh?

-The new carriers were cool, but was such a waste to have them destroy each other.

-The scene with Steve and older Peggy actually made me sad :_(

-So Fury decides to destroy his past and leave behind his eye patch..........ummmm it's there for a reason other than to look cool.

-CA and company causes billions of dollars in SHIELD, has no real proof that it was HYDRA and gets to walk away from all that without being held accountable to someone higher up in SHIELD. 

-So SHIELD is now fractured as a result of these events.  Not destroyed. 

-CA and Falcon go to Europe to find Bucky, yet he's in DC all along. :whistle2:|

Good but hardly great. Not to sound snobby but comic book movies continue to be graded on a huge curve.  Every “twist” was so telegraphed it could hardly be called a twist.  People are going ape-shite over CA asking tough questions about privacy vs. security. That has been asked for nearly 3 decades (or more) and the movie brings nothing interesting to that discussion (not that it needs to but some people are acting like this movie is a revelation). 

I know these movies are supposed to be insular but if a weapon is targeting 20 million people, you would think they would mention at least some reason the other Avengers (save Thor) couldn’t make it especially when they are some of the people who are targeted.

Still it was a fun ride if you suspend your logic for 2 hours. 

I honestly think that this movie should have been called something else besides the Winter Soldier.
Calling it The Winter Soldier was the same kind of marketing tactic Dark Knight Rises and Iron Man 3 used in their marketing campaigns.

I half expect Vision and Ultron to be one and the same in Avengers 2.

-It's had too much "Who can you trust? Who works for HYDRA?" in it. Made you think so basically every bad guy in Phase one and Phase two were working or connected to Hydra? Would that would mean that Obadiah Stane, Justin Hammer, Aldrich Killian, Ivan Vanko and so on had ties to Hydra?
Given that they all had ties to the military and kinda/sorta S.H.I.E.L.D., they probably all had ties to HYDRA. However, I highly doubt Hammer and Vanko knew the truth. Vanko never had enough connections and Tony handed over the Repulsor tech anyway and Hammer has no poker face whatsoever and would have not been able to keep a secret.

Stane probably knew or at least had inklings given his black market connections but probably didn't care as long as they continued to buy his weapons. Killian may have known but didn't care.
Either way, it makes the funny Senate hearing in Iron Man 2 kinda scary in retrospect.

-I didn't like the fact that certain likeable characters where Hydra agents and were killed off, such as Jasper Sitwell. It's like hey man , then get thrown out of a car and died.
That played into the theme of the film.

-Much of the back story for the WS was not really shown. So it was Zola who experimented on him and turned him into the WS instead of the Soviets? Don't recall any soviet connection in the film.
Erm, it was explicitly stated in both this film and in Cap 1 that HYDRA experimented on Bucky. Remember that Cap found Bucky on an operatong table in Cap 1.

-First Fury was all supportive of the Insight Project , then after talking to captain America he decides to push for a delay, which makes him a target for the WS? um huh?
Pierce knew Fury would find out what his true plan was pretty quickly. He is that good. Hence the assassination attempt.

-The new carriers were cool, but was such a waste to have them destroy each other.
...You actually expected any of them to survive the film? S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarriers were made specifically to be shot down in spectacular fashion. It's a minor miracle the OG Helicarrier made it through Avengers 1.

Speaking of which, I wonder where that one is.

-So Fury decides to destroy his past and leave behind his eye patch..........ummmm it's there for a reason other than to look cool.
It's symbolic. The eyepatch is a symbol of his past, where he was blind to the truth. Now he has both eyes open.

-CA and company causes billions of dollars in SHIELD, has no real proof that it was HYDRA and gets to walk away from all that without being held accountable to someone higher up in SHIELD.
Pierce pretty much admitted everything to the World Security Council and Cap (well, his team) saved their lives and millions more. Not to mention there IS proof. What the hell do you think Natasha was uploading to the Internet?

-So SHIELD is now fractured as a result of these events. Not destroyed.
We will find out more on Tuesday.

-CA and Falcon go to Europe to find Bucky, yet he's in DC all along. :whistle2:|
Not just to find Bucky, but to search Zola's lab to see if they can reverse Bucky's amnesia.

I know these movies are supposed to be insular but if a weapon is targeting 20 million people, you would think they would mention at least some reason the other Avengers (save Thor) couldn’t make it especially when they are some of the people who are targeted.
I will admit, the names went too fast for me to see which Avengers were listed (aside from Tony), but it's easy enough to explain. Cap and his team were cut off from contact with any of the other Avengers. Fury had no idea what was going on until he rendevous with Cap and Widow. We don't know the status of any Iron Man suits or if Tony even has one on hand in DC. War Machine and Hawkeye could simply be on missions. Hulk is probably still in New York.

Remember that the majority of the movie takes place in less than one day and by the time Cap has communication access, the carriers were ready to launch.

Calling it The Winter Soldier was the same kind of marketing tactic Dark Knight Rises and Iron Man 3 used in their marketing campaigns.

I half expect Vision and Ultron to be one and the same in Avengers 2.

Given that they all had ties to the military and kinda/sorta S.H.I.E.L.D., they probably all had ties to HYDRA. However, I highly doubt Hammer and Vanko knew the truth. Vanko never had enough connections and Tony handed over the Repulsor tech anyway and Hammer has no poker face whatsoever and would have not been able to keep a secret.

Stane probably knew or at least had inklings given his black market connections but probably didn't care as long as they continued to buy his weapons. Killian may have known but didn't care.
Either way, it makes the funny Senate hearing in Iron Man 2 kinda scary in retrospect.

That played into the theme of the film.

Erm, it was explicitly stated in both this film and in Cap 1 that HYDRA experimented on Bucky. Remember that Cap found Bucky on an operatong table in Cap 1.

Pierce knew Fury would find out what his true plan was pretty quickly. He is that good. Hence the assassination attempt.

...You actually expected any of them to survive the film? S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarriers were made specifically to be shot down in spectacular fashion. It's a minor miracle the OG Helicarrier made it through Avengers 1.

Speaking of which, I wonder where that one is.

It's symbolic. The eyepatch is a symbol of his past, where he was blind to the truth. Now he has both eyes open.

Pierce pretty much admitted everything to the World Security Council and Cap (well, his team) saved their lives and millions more. Not to mention there IS proof. What the hell do you think Natasha was uploading to the Internet?

We will find out more on Tuesday.

Not just to find Bucky, but to search Zola's lab to see if they can reverse Bucky's amnesia.
You had some good points. I don't like the idea that they are using somewhat dirty marketing tactics like what they did for IM2, IM3 and this movie. Natasha's actions could be similar to that whole Edward Snowden/NSA thing. By releasing all of SHIELD's and HYDRA's secrets on to the internet, it makes her a traitor. She put everyone's lives/jobs on the line by pulling this shit. I am really surprised that the government didn't arrest her and just let her walk away like that.

It would have been a nice twist of Pierce was actually the RED SKULL all this time and he escaped to fight another day (or to show up in CA3).

Well yes I do remember that whole Zola scene with Bucky... So who was in charge of the WS all those decades? He acted like he didn't give a fuck that he was being thawed, brainwashed, fight, put on ice and repeat.

To be honest, I am not sure if they are going to bring Red Skull back. I guess it depends on how Avengers 2 goes. It probably also depends on how much money Disney is willing to pay Hugo Weaving since he has admitted to phoning in pretty much every role he's had since The Matrix.

As for Widow, she got away because she helped save their asses and because she is more valuable to them alive and free. Not to mention with all the media there the US government would have been in an even bigger crapstorm if they arrested one of Captain America's sidekicks. I'm sure the MCU version of Fox News and CNN are loving this, though.

Mc42205.png

692.png

48258795.jpg

Meme_The_Dark_Knight.jpg

Meme_Hail_Hydra_Titanic.jpg

Quick question if I go to the noon showing will I be able to be back home by 3:00? It's about a 20-25 minute drive from the theater to my house. I know the movie is 2:15 long but I didn't know how much time the previews would add to the total.

Thanks

My theater had the usual 5, plus another half dozen "shut off your phone" ads and a handful of regular TV ads.

The 2 hour 16 min runtime includes the 2 end credits as well I think.  You could just stay for the 1st and leave after, saves you 5 mins right there. 

bread's done
Back