Captain Lou Albano (1933-2009) memorial wrestling topic

[quote name='benjamouth']I think it's come to the point where I won't even bother watching PPV's for free[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

There's an interesting study underlying all this. It appears WWE has done well with eliminating most PPV streams online, which, with viewers in the tens of thousands, arguably (from an economics standpoint) costs them a bunch of PPV revenue for each show. I'm curious if we'll see corresponding jumps in PPV buyrates now that illicit avenues to viewership have been mostly blocked. If we don't see any at all, it lends a lot of credence to the argument of DRM-rights/piracy advocates who say companies don't lose anything if the people who consume cultural product (for free) are the same people who would never consume the product if it costs money.

Somewhat similar principle as the used games market. Developers complain about lost revenue from used game sales when a very real possibility is that the consumer just wouldn't buy the game if they couldn't get it for, say, $50 used instead of $60 new. IMO, you can't really consider a sale lost if you never had it in the first place. You gotta love creative accounting because it's worked so well in other corporate environments in the last couple of years. Go, Lehman Brothers!

[quote name='mykevermin']:lol: TNA responds to poor buyrates, low interest, and a poor economy by bumping up their PPV prices. Bound for Glory is $40.[/QUOTE]

IIRC TNA did the same thing with last year's Bound For Glory.

[quote name='mykevermin']:rofl:

There's an interesting study underlying all this. It appears WWE has done well with eliminating most PPV streams online, which, with viewers in the tens of thousands, arguably (from an economics standpoint) costs them a bunch of PPV revenue for each show. I'm curious if we'll see corresponding jumps in PPV buyrates now that illicit avenues to viewership have been mostly blocked. If we don't see any at all, it lends a lot of credence to the argument of DRM-rights/piracy advocates who say companies don't lose anything if the people who consume cultural product (for free) are the same people who would never consume the product if it costs money.[/QUOTE]

They pretty much eliminated the Justin site but there are a ton of others that sprung up. If you want to find it you can. I have a friend who pays $60 a year for a pay site. He told me that they have all of the WWE, TNA, UFC and Boxing PPV's in perfect quality.

[quote name='mykevermin']:rofl:

There's an interesting study underlying all this. It appears WWE has done well with eliminating most PPV streams online, which, with viewers in the tens of thousands, arguably (from an economics standpoint) costs them a bunch of PPV revenue for each show. I'm curious if we'll see corresponding jumps in PPV buyrates now that illicit avenues to viewership have been mostly blocked. If we don't see any at all, it lends a lot of credence to the argument of DRM-rights/piracy advocates who say companies don't lose anything if the people who consume cultural product (for free) are the same people who would never consume the product if it costs money.[/QUOTE]

I think there's a lot of truth in that. From my own POV I just find the product very poor at the moment, I'd rather not waste time trying to get some enjoyment out of something that I used to love, I need to admit that I'm done with the WWE and stop trying.

If I had paid money for what I watched last night I can't imagine I'd ever want to pay for it again. It boggles the mind to think of the people paying their $50 (or whatever it is) every month.

I think the last PPV I bought was in early 2007 (at the absolute latest). They're fucking pointless to purchase. And I don't watch streams, let alone have the willingness to pay $60 to steal something.

They got me with the Edge/Matt Hardy thing, I can't remember which PPV it was, Summerslam maybe. I'd not been in the US that long so it was a bit of a novelty as well.

By the time it finished I'd decided, never again.

[quote name='benjamouth']I'd not been in the US that long so it was a bit of a novelty as well.[/QUOTE]

I forgot they don't have television in the UK.

;)

[quote name='mykevermin']I forgot they don't have television in the UK.
;)[/QUOTE]

Well I couldn't get PPV's where I was living prior cos we didn't have Sky.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Or soap for that matter. ;)[/QUOTE]

Oi, I said the UK, not France. :)

Word is that WWE is planning on going with a Batista vs. Undertaker feud for the World Heavyweight Title

nobatistas.jpg

Colt Cabana Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RIfEiNWc0k

ROH on HDNet matches tonight -

*Delirious vs. Sonjay Dutt

*Eddie Kingston vs. Kyle Matthews

*Roderick Strong vs. Joey Ryan

*Tag Team Honor Rumble: Dark City Fight Club vs. Young Bucks vs. Brent Albright & Erick Stevens vs. Jimmy Rave & Ernie Osiris vs. Jay & Mark Briscoe vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico vs. Kenny King & Rhett Titus vs. ROH Tag Team champions Davey Richards & Eddie Edwards

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']Yup, that sounds like where the WWE's priorities should be.[/QUOTE]

This is why the wrestling industry is so fucking retarded. What was Punk wearing, metal spikes and a big ass mohawk? Taking the belt off of him either for what he wears or his comment is the lamest thing ever.

[quote name='Blackout']This is why the wrestling industry is so fucking retarded. What was Punk wearing, metal spikes and a big ass mohawk? Taking the belt off of him either for what he wears or his comment is the lamest thing ever.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't punk dressing like, well lets say a band tee shirt and some jean with maybe a few holes in them fit in with his gimmick of a better than you douche bag?? Cena gets to dress his gimmick...

-Vince McMahon was the one who formatted last night's Hell in a Cell PPV.

-AJ Styles and Matt Morgan have signed new five-year contracts with TNA, keeping them with the company until 2014.

[quote name='Blackout']This is why the wrestling industry is so fucking retarded. What was Punk wearing, metal spikes and a big ass mohawk? Taking the belt off of him either for what he wears or his comment is the lamest thing ever.[/QUOTE]

There is a show on tonight that isn't WWE. You don't have to support Vince.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']There is a show on tonight that isn't WWE. You don't have to support Vince.[/QUOTE]

My TV's not even working. Even if it was, I don't have the channel ROH is on.

Knowing Punk, he probably had on jeans and a Bouncing Souls hoodie. I only imagine 'Taker's street clothes - I'm guessing jeans and an Affliction/Ed Hardy shirt. You think anyone said a word to Jeff Hardy when he was champion?

[quote name='mykevermin']You think Jeff Hardy heard a word anyone said as perpetually high as he must have been?[/QUOTE]
Not unless it involved the phrase "catering now open".

[quote name='mykevermin']You're confused Jeff Hardy with Taz.

Is there anything worth watching on tv tonight? I could give a fuck about Raw.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree. In terms of wrestling, raw is basically the bottom of the barrel for me. I don't really care about their whole guest judge things, and hashed out rivalries.

I actually enjoy tna and ecw. bite me.

Have I missed anything on RAW so far tonight? I completely forgot it was on because of the Vikings game.

And on a final note....

oops.png

The picture tells everything you need to see. Good job Cena.

Rude was one of the greatest heels ever. Man, do I miss him. When he got his tights pulled off and they censored it, my sister kept rewinding the tape in the hopes she would see something. Classic.

[quote name='Demolition Man']Have I missed anything on RAW so far tonight? I completely forgot it was on because of the Vikings game.

And on a final note....

oops.png

The picture tells everything you need to see. Good job Cena.
[/QUOTE]

I can't believe Cena tried to wrestle with his dog tag on! He's so silly!

[quote name='rickshankshaw']Miz/Kofi was FANTASTIC.[/QUOTE]
Weren't you the guy shitting on The Miz consistently, or was that someone else with objective-defiant disorder?

Fantastic show overall, with some middling stuff that was just kinda there. The diva bowl was bad, but funny, with seemingly a million blondes and them ALL basically looking alike. Thank God Orton came out and had an awesome segment with Cena setting up an Iron Man at Bragging Rights, and I like that they added a stip with Cena leaving Raw if he loses. I could actually see them doing that to give SD some star power on the face side, and that adds more intrigue than just having the usual rematch.

Swagger-Primo in a squash was okay - nothing special, even by squash match standards. Swagger's win streak gimmick is stupid - wow, his goal is to be undefeated for two and a half months. What a feat. Mark Henry and MVP vs. Chavo and Masters was also just kinda there, and only memorable for Henry possibly being injured.

Miz-Kofi was setup well with Miz having to embarrass himself if he lost by saying he's awful, and then doing whatever possible to avoid losing in the match, which was easily my favorite match on the show and had me hooked with the nearfalls since I actually cared about who won and how. Here, Miz survived everything, and thanks to a mix of luck (falling out of the ring after the Trouble in Paradise, Kofi hitting his head on the mat and apron during the match), and skill (making use of those opportunities), he won and was clearly overjoyed about the win. For a brief moment, the U.S. title seemed really important - hopefully they build on that.

The DX-Jerishow setup was good, although I think they should've saved this for the PPV in 3 weeks as opposed to tonight, although at least the belts weren't at stake here. The match itself was way better than I expected - it lasted longer than a few minutes, and was probably the best match technically on the show, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the U.S. Title match. These two teams meshed perfectly, and DAMN did this match ever have a ton of heat by the end of it. Kudos to DX for being willing to look weak (well, by their standards) by letting Show hit a suplex on both of them at once. I liked the finish - they took Show out, leaving Jericho in a 1-on-2 situation, and then Jericho tried to save himself by leaving the ring...only to be stopped by the host and the Steelers, leaving him stuck to eat the superkick and lose the match. So they set up a title match well if they choose to go that route for the PPV.

I'm glad to see DX in the title hunt - I'm surprised they haven't won the titles before as a team, and with the titles meaning more than they have in years, this seems like the right time to have them win them. Although I kind of doubt that'll happen since it would require HBK to work SD on at least a semi-regular basis. Still, having Jerishow beat them wouldn't hurt DX and would further cement Jerishow as THE team to beat. Plus, DX won tonight, so it makes sense to have the champs retain when the gold's on the line.

This was one of the best Raws in a while - it had some twp great matches, good promo work, progressed things nicely with existing storylines, started some new big ones (like DX vs. Jerishow), and felt significant due to the title change, Iron Man announcement, and DX-Jerishow deal.

Screens -

Quotes -
Cole - IT HAS THE FEEL OF A SUPER BOWL HERE TONIGHT ON RAW!
Ben - I hear some boos…I guess we got some Eagles fans here tonight!
(as the diva bowl begins)Cole - THIS IS ONE OF THE MOST EXPLOSIVE WAYS WE’VE EVER STARTED RAW!
King - If I was doing this, I’d be penalized for HOLDING!
Cole - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
King - You’ve never mentioned the diva bowl!
Cole - I’ve said it three times!
King - Well, I don’t listen to you!
(as some blonde in the same outfit as every other teammate comes in)Cole - I don’t know who it is…oh, it’s Jillian.
Orton - Last night, I DEFEATED JOHN CENA! And I became a SIX-TIME WWE CHAMPION! You people say I used shortcuts, that I need backup, THAT I CHEAT! Well tell me this? When, last night, did I need backup? When did I need to take the shortcut? JOHN CENA AND MYSELF WALKED INTO HELL IN A CELL AND I…BEAT HIM! END OF STORY! I’m willing to bet that Cena’s gonna come out here and interrupt me, and he’s gonna ask for a rematch. Do what you need to do - say what you need to say, because I know what I’m going to say. TO YOU! You look awful excited, and I think I know what, BUT YOU WILL NOT GET A REMATCH TONIGHT!
Cena - You have told the WWE UNIVERSE WHAT THEY ALREADY KNOW - THAT YOU DON’T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THEM! But you are a WWE Superstar who strives to be the best. So what I’m out here to do is congratulate you on your win last night. There are some that don’t agree with that, but you walked into that cell, and walked out WWE Champion. I could tell you how brutal it is, and how punishing it was, but here’s the thing - there was something special about Hell in a Cell last night - I noticed it before, during, and after the match. What I noticed was over 16,000 of the WWE UNIVERSE ON THEIR FEET THE ENTIRE TIME! THERE WERE POINTS WHERE THEY WERE CHEERING FOR ME, FOR YOU, ALL OF THOSE PEOPLE WERE HANGING ON OUR EVERY MOVE AND THEN IT HIT ME - Cena vs. Orton has become a rivalry. No, it has become THE rivalry. Each and every one of you people know that every time we’re in the ring together the result is simply amazing! Whether it’s a singles match, triple threat, or a Cell…I’d like to do it one more time! By the sound of things, these people seem to agree - that’s where we disagree, because I CARE ABOUT THE WWE UNIVERSE! I don’t just wanna give them A match, I want to give them THE MATCH OF MATCHES! THE REMATCH…AND IRON MAN MATCH! 60 minutes on the click and when the clock strikes zero, the man with the most decisions is the WWE Challenge. IT WILL BE SO EPIC, SO REMARKABLE, SO LEGENDARY, THIS WILL BE HOW IT ENDS! NO REMATCHES! AFTER THIS IRON MAN MATCH - THAT’S IT! What do you think?
Orton - You think I’m stupid? I SEE WHAT YOU’RE TRYING TO DO. Let’s say I agree and you win - I don’t get a rematch. Why would I do that? But we do need to end this…on my terms!
Cena - Okay.
Orton - You win, you get the title, I win, YOU’RE GONE FROM RAW! Go to SmackDown, go to ECW - I DON’T CARE! I WANT YOU OFF OF MY SHOW!
Cena - I win…I’m the WWE Champion, but if you win, I leave Raw…I’ll do it… I’ll do it. I accept. That’s all you want?
Orton - NO! NO DQ! NO COUNTOUTS! ON MY TERMS…
Cena - Se we can use the steps, the post, fight inside and outside the ring and take the greatest match of all time and turn it into the greatest brawl ever! Is that what you’re saying!?
Orton - THAT’S EXACTLY WHAT I’M SAYING! Take it or leave it!
Cena - 60 minutes…for the WWE Championship…if I lose, I leave Raw…You know me better than that… I NEVER BACK DOWN! YOU’RE ON!
Swagger - I SMELL LIKE A WINNER, LOOK LIKE A WINNER - THE ALL-AMERICAN AMERICAN IS A WNNER! I didn’t get pinned last night, and for the rest of the year, I PROMISE THAT I WILL GO UNDEFEATED! I’m the ALL-AMERICAN AMERICAN JACK SWAGGER AND I APPROVED THIS MESSAGE!
Lawler - He says he smells like a winner…he has a prescription for antiperspirant!
Cole - Primo could stop this undefeated streak before it starts!
Lawler - So… he doesn’t really have an undefeated streak now.
Cole - It was just a play on words.
Santino - Number 23...3.…10 yars yars yars…
Mackie - What are you talking about?
Santino - I’M A REFEREE! So why don’t you and Felicia just kiss her and make up? No really…nice and slow…
Fox - I have a better idea…(she slaps him)
Cole - The winners of the SD matches will take on the Raw winners in a tag match QUITE LIETERALLY, FOR BRAGGING RIGHTS!
Miz - BIG BEN! Did you hear what Swagger said? That he didn’t get pinned for the U.S. Championship, insinuating that I, THE MIZ, WAS THE LOSER!
Ben - Well, what happened…
Miz - I GOT PINNED! But that’s not the point - I’M THE MIZ AND I’M AWESOME. It’s not a catchphrase, it’s a way of life. You’re awesome two Sundays in your life, I’m awesome 24 hours a day. I want a shot at the U.S. Championship tonight! You can do this! WOULDN’T YOU LIKE ONE MORE CHANCE AGAINST THE BEARS! This is my birthday week - most people just have a birthday.
Ben - I can do this! Kofi…versus you…TONIGHT! One stipulation - if you lose, you get in that ring, you grab that mic, and as loud as you can, you let everyone know I’M THE MIZ AND I’M AWFUL!
Cole - Mark Henry’s neck is 22 INCHES! THAT’S ALMOST TWO FEET!
Lawler - That’s not as impressive as…wait, when did you measure his neck!?
Lawler - CHAVO HAS BEEN DX CHOPPED!
Cole - MINI DX CHOPPED!
Show - Easy Ben, we don’t want you to be intimidated. I’m just trying to figure out why they call you Big Ben…I’ve heard about your offensive line, but how big can they be compared to me?
Jericho - I BET THEY’RE NOT AS BIG AS ME!
Ben - Funny you guys should ask that…COME ON OUT, BOYS!
Jericho - Now we’re supposed to be intimidated…by what? ALL I SEE IS A GANG OF MESOMORPHS! This is not a football field - it’s a WWE ring and we don’t’ wear helmets or pads, or take time off for TURF TOE, so I suggest that you get into a huddle or something and prepare. WE’RE THE MOST DOMINANT TEAM IN SPORTS, not you, Steelers!
Cole - YOU WANNA TALK ABOUT THE MOST DOMINANT TEAM IN SPORTS! IT’S DX!
Ben - WOOOO! WOOOOO!
Lawler - What the heck is a mesomorph?
Cole - I have no idea!
Lawler - Know what I like about Big Ben? He hasn’t let success go to his clothes!
Jericho - I should have expected this - A SPORTSCENTER MOMENT RUINED BY DELINQUENTS CONCERNED ABOUT SELLING THEIR BOOK COMING OUT TOMORROW! IT’S PATHETIC! HHH - Actually, Chris, thanks for the plug, but we didn’t come out to do that - just to tell you how nice your hair looks today.
Jericho - Really?
HHH - Hell no, you’re hair looks horrible.
HBK - I SPENT WHAT SEEMS LIKE AN ETERNITY GETTING MY BUTT KICKED LAST NIGHT, BUT TONIGHT, I HEARD YOU TALKING ABOUT BEATING ALL THE GREAT TEAMS…But there’s one you haven’t faced…
Show - IS THAT SOME KIND OF A CHALLENGE!?
HBK - I’ve got staples in my head and my body’s throbbing from head to toe…is that a challenge? Yeah, I guess so.
Show - I thought because of the staples in your head, you’d say something like that. DX doesn’t want any part of Jerishow.
Jericho - You‘re not worthy - outside of the arena, away from these tapeworms, you don‘t mean a thing! You don‘t deserve to face the Big Show and Jericho and you know it‘s true.
Ben - Listen here! Where you guys going!? NO! AS GUEST HOST, TONIGHT, YOU TWO CLOWNS VERSE MY BOYS! TONIGHT! AND YOU KNOW WHAT, IF YOU‘RE NOT DOWN WITH THAT, WE GOT TWO WORDS FOR YOU….
(during a Steelers/DX chop)Lawler - NOW THAT‘S A SPORTSCENTER MOMENT!
Cole - IT‘S THE BIGGEST DX CHOP EVER!
Lawler - IF THAT ISN’T A SPORTSCENTER MOMENT, I DON’T KNOW WHAT IS!
Cole - If this doesn‘t work for the Miz, he can work for Duncler, Dundler, DUNDER MIFFLIN!
Lawler - Easy for you to say.
Cole - It‘s in Scranton…
Lawler - You‘ve been watching the Office!.
Cole - THE MIZ HAS WON HIS FIRST MAJOR SINGLES CHAMPIONSHIP IN WORLD WRESTLING ENTERTAINMENT!
Miz - YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE NEW UNITED STATES CHAMPION! BECAUSE I’M THE MIZ AND I’M AWESOME!
Santino - Rotten burger?
Ben - Roethlisberger!
Santino - Rock and Roller.
Ben - Roethlisberger!
Santino - Sorry, I’m Italian - it’s hard to pronounce!
Lawler - Remember when HHH talked about Jericho’s hair? It reminded me of There’s Something About Mary…
Cole - YOU CAN’T GO THERE!
Lawler - What? It’s just a movie…
Cole - HHH, a 13-time world champion. Jericho, five-time world champion, nine-time Intercontinental champion.
Cole - Shawn needs to make it to his long-term partner, HHH!
Cole - I guess you could say that Ben is RAWthisberger!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Brak']Weren't you the guy shitting on The Miz consistently, or was that someone else with objective-defiant disorder?[/QUOTE]

No, that was Zen Davis. Hey, wait a minute...

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Fantastic show overall[/quote]

Do you ever not say that?

EDIT: Who the bloody hell are the chowderheads hosting Raw next week? I've never heard of either of them.

I'd say it was on par with the Shaq episode as far as the guest host era goes. Excellent Kofi/Miz match. The Cena/Orton challenge segment was the probably the best interaction they've had. For once they actually went to commercial while Orton did his 5 minutes of mid-ramp staredown with the ring during his entrance.

The bad news is we're getting a 60 minute Orton/Cena match, which I can't imagine will be that much different than their I Quit match since it carries the no-dq stip. They did a great job of building it up tonight though.

[quote name='mykevermin']Do you ever not say that?

EDIT: Who the bloody hell are the chowderheads hosting Raw next week? I've never heard of either of them.[/QUOTE]

Hosts of Entertainment Tonight. Nancy O'Dell has a charity they've been working with for a few months now to plug. Maria Menounos was in the Fantastic Four movie for like 15 seconds as a nurse, and that's all I can remember about her.

From the bits I saw, Kofi/Miz was kinda cool, Swagger/Primo started good, but dropped in quality early on, and everything but the end to DX/Jerishow was good.

[quote name='diddy310']Hosts of Access Hollywood. Nancy O'Dell has a charity they've been working with for a few months now to plug. Maria Menounos was in the Fantastic Four movie for like 15 seconds as a nurse, and that's all I can remember about her.[/QUOTE]
I corrected that for you. You had the right genre but wrong show.

I wish they would let somebody new be WWE Champ. I hope Cena loses so he can go back to Smackdown at least that way we can get somebody else as long as it isn't Triple H.

[quote name='mykevermin']Do you ever not say that?

EDIT: Who the bloody hell are the chowderheads hosting Raw next week? I've never heard of either of them.[/QUOTE]

I usually say that about SD - not Raw, and I've heard of Nancy O'Dell, but not that other chick.

This whole 'Cena has to leave Raw' stip would be way more interesting if they hadn't JUST sent Batista over to Smackdown. Yeah, I can see the need for Batista, Cena, and Taker on the same show.

They aren't even trying to be coherent anymore.

I can't wait to imagine how pissed off you're going to be when the surfer dude on WWE superstars pins Dragon in 4 minutes in his debut match.

bread's done
Back