Captain Lou Albano (1933-2009) memorial wrestling topic

[quote name='lmz00']What rock have you guys been living under?[/QUOTE]

Apparently one that involves us not know (or caring) who these two reporters are. Which is proof that the guest host GM isn't working when they are bringing in people who just leaves most people going..... "okay, who are these jabroni's again?"

The October 15th edition of TNA Impact will be 3 hours long, from 9pm-12am. The matches for this, "Super Impact", as TNA and SpikeTV are calling it, will be:

Grudge Match: AJ Styles vs. Kurt Angle.
Stretcher Match: Bobby Lashley vs. Rhino.
Matt Morgan vs. Booker T.

The World Heavyweight Title match at Bragging Rights, according to Meltzer, will be:

Undertaker vs. CM Punk vs. Batista vs. Rey Mysterio.

[quote name='mykevermin']It'll be better when it actually happens. When, if you're facing away from the wind, you can hear the sound of fanboy sobs.[/QUOTE]

I think Dragon and Nigel could both get over in spite of scenarios like this.

[quote name='007']This whole 'Cena has to leave Raw' stip would be way more interesting if they hadn't JUST sent Batista over to Smackdown. Yeah, I can see the need for Batista, Cena, and Taker on the same show.

They aren't even trying to be coherent anymore.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps they are switching the roles of the shows. It would make more sense to have the "Entertainment" show be taped, and have the "wrestling" show be live and on Mondays to compete with FOOTBALL.

They won't start going back to "pro wrestling" until they have quarterly losses instead of gains.

Me? I'm doing my part to make that happen.

[quote name='neocisco']Global Impact 2 will follow Impact on Thursday. Also, no Impact replay again this week.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I almost for got about that. Hopefully it will be as good as the last. Man they really lost an opportunity with Tomko after that.

This was one of the best ECW shows in a while - it was basically perfect in the sense that it focused on very few things, even by the standards of the show, but progressed everything well. Regal's tyranny was countered early on by Tiffany returning and restoring the balance of power by placing everyone that Regal was associated with or who he hated, on the show in some form. His goon squad faced Dreamer and Goldust, something that helped Regal's crew look better than they did before - which is the exact point of this show. Being in there with Goldust can only help them since he's at a career peak work-wise and can not only show them how to improve in the ring, but impart his knowledge outside of the ring as well.

Regal-Tatsu was an excellent lengthy match with some stiff-ish action between the forearm strikes and kicks, and I loved the ending - Regal got to save face by having his foot under the rope, but Tatsu got the win anyway, but in a manner that didn't hurt the show's top heel. Beating Regal makes Tatsu look like a threat beyond just the ECW mid-card - he's now firmly a main event-level act on this show in under three months of being on the main roster. That's pretty damned incredible right there. I liked that they gave the Shelton-Sheamus feud a video package then plugged that their match was going to be on Superstars - the package was fine and they need to do more to promote that show, so I liked this a lot. It was a way to get them on this show without disrupting the show-long angle.

Ryder-Christian was again great. Ryder showed more offense here than usual, and beyond being a good thing for my FPR creation of him, it allows him to have more moves to possibly get over with the audience. His Tiger Bomb looked good, and he and Christian have fantastic chemistry in the ring. Of course, Christian has had great chemistry with everyone since returning to WWE, and his role as ECW Champion is pretty much perfect for him - it allows him to have great, long matches on a regular basis while giving younger guys a chance to develop and he's still got a ready-made team with Edge if they want to do that. I could easily see a face E&C facing Jerishow for the belts at some point.

Tiffany teasing that Cena could come to ECW amused me, especially since she was giddy over A LOSER COMING TO HER SHOW. Not winners, no, ECW is the SD in that it's where you are shipped off to when you lose the big one. And the new ring announcer making Tiffany seem passionate by comparison also amused me. Plus she said that Dreamer was poaching the ring. Just awesomely bad stuff.

Striker was even more on fire than usual - spouting off a ton of great lines in every match, and even in the in-between parts of the show. I'm glad he took to this role so quickly because it's greatly extended his tenure in the company - he went from just another dude in the Angle Invitational to one of the company's top commentators in just a few years. As a wrestler, he just didn't have it as a top act, but as a commentator, he found his niche, and I hope he sticks around for a long time. He's tailor-made for this show because he's great at getting guys over or saying SOMETHING to try and get them over - I still remember him putting over some jobber by saying he made iPhone apps. Is it something that the guy is going to parley into a regular gig anywhere? No, but it's something to remember him by. He throws out a million nicknames, and if even one of them sticks, great. Tonight, he used a bunch for Ryder and one of them stuck with me afterwards - iSuperstar. He understands that his role is to put the attention on the talent in the ring, and it seems like some commentators fear doing that because it takes attention away from them - but by doing the job properly, he stands out more and is more memorable as a result.

Screens -

Quotes -
Josh - Over the past week, the championship landscape of ECW HAS EXTREMELY CHANGED!
Sign - We Want Cherry.
Sign - Shoes are Funny.
Regal - Welcome to ECW. Firstly, I would like to send out my best wishes to our ECW GM Tiffany as she recovers. I know the decision tmake me interim GM isn’t a popular one, but you know in your hearts it’s the right one. I have the experience to make the right moves for you, the WWE Universe. That brings me to the ECW Championship - last week, they prevented me from making any changes to the ECW Title, but sometimes, you have to do the right thing, and the right thing to do is to make myself the number one contender to the ECW Championship. I never had a fair shot….
Ryder - HOLD UP! WE ARE NOT GOING THROUGH THIS AGAIN! Last week, you took away my one on one match with Christian, and your experet leadership cost us our 8-man tag match, BRO!
Regal - BRO!?
Ryder - Do the right thing…
Regal - I DON’T HAVE TO DO THE RIGHT THING BY YOU! BLOODY HELL!
Christian - Now this is compelling, the tool from Long Island and the creepy British guy arguing over who deserves to be the number 1 contender to the ECW Championship. Need proof? I brought some with me. Come out here guys. This is Angelo, he’s a janitor here, and earlier today, he replaced all the urinal cakes in all the bathrooms! You know what that means? He accomplished something - which is more than I can say for either of you. You my friend are a more deserving contender for my title than Regal or Ryder! This man - Tony Atlas. He hangs out with Abraham, but he’s still a hall of famer. Plus, he does this.
Tony - HAHAHAHAHAHA!
Christian - Again, more deserving than either of you. This is Yoshi Tatsu. Yoshi went about his business in a different way - he won matches. And in the past few weeks, William and Zack, he’s beaten both of you!
Regal - IF I WAS GIVEN A WORTHY PARTNER, THAT WOULDN’T HAVE HAPPENED!
Christian - Okay, Bill.
Regal - DON’T CALL ME BILL!
Christian - Lemme check with the peeps…no, sorry BILL! Yoshi is the most deserving person!!
Yoshi - TANK YOU!
Christian - No, thank you!
Yoshi - TANK YOU!
Yoshi - TANK YOU!
Yoshi - TANK YOU!
Christian - No, thank you! Okay, this is getting weird. But it doesn’t matter what you think…look who I bumped into! (Tiffany comes out)
Tinnay - Thank you, Regal, for doing an admirable job. But nothing is going to stop me from being the GM of the show where you can see the youngest. And hottest. Stars. In sports. Entertainment. I have not. Yet made. The decision. To decide who. Will be the number one contender. To the ECW Championship. Zack, you will face Christian again tonight. Regal, you will face Yoshi Tatsu tonight. And Kozlov and Ezekiel - you will be in tag action tonight.
Striker - A CIVIL WAR HAS ERUPTED ON ECW!
Ring Announcer Chick - Now poaching the ring, Tommy Dreamer!
Ring Announcer Chick - His partner, WEIGHING 235 POUNDS, GOLDUST!
Josh - What’s Tommy’s strategy here?
Striker - Not get beat.
Striker - Here comes the Lone Star, the Outcast - GOLDUST!
Striker - Dreamer is wise to work on the arms of THE PROPHET OF DOOM, EZEKIEL JACKSON!
Striker - HERE COMES THE COSSACK, THE CALLOUSED COMMUNIST, KOZLOV!
Striker - While Kozlov is a master of Sambo, Ezekiel uses the power of scripture.
Josh - Scripture?
Striker - Ezekiel…POWER…Nothing?
Striker - Buffing blockbuster from the Dream!
Regal - WHAT AMAZING SPECIMINS! And let me say your recovery is amazing!
Tiffany - IT KILLED ME TO NOT BE HERE LAST WEEK! And I have had a lot of hard decisions to make here. At Bragging Rights, it will be Cena vs. Orton in an iron man match, and depending on the result, JOHN CENA COULD COME TO ECW!
Striker - Regal seems hurried here.
Josh - Well, he didn’t have much time to change…
Striker - IT’S DR. VON DOOM HIMSELF, WILLIAM REGAL!
(after Regal stalls by lacing his boots)Striker - I don’t think you know how important PROPERLY-LACED BOOTS ARE!
Josh - Seriously?
Striker - THE VAMPIRE IN THE EYES OF WILLIAM REGAL IS COMING TO LIFE!
Striker - KICK TO THE MASTOID!
(as Regal attacks Yoshi)Striker - This is Hirohito and Chamberlain coming to life!
Striker - The respect Regal has for Tatsu is evident by him always going for submission holds.
(after a dragon screw from Yoshi)Striker - DRAGON SCROLL…SCREW LEG WHIP! THAT CAN TEAR YOUR ACL!
Striker - THE BURNING SWORD! NINJA GAIDEN! YOSHI TATSU!
Josh - Regal’s pleading his case…
(as his goons come down)Striker - …and it just got a lot better with the law offices of Kozlov and Jackson.
Striker - HE IS THE LONGEST-REIGNING CHAMPION IN WWE - CHRISTIAN!
Josh - Bragging Rights is brought to you by WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2010!
Striker - I’m gonna be in that game. IT’S COOL! Come on - MY FIRST GAME!
(during the Christian-Ryder match)Josh - Why is Regal here?
Striker - You ask him! He’s closer to you.
Striker - He’s plainly frustrated that Ryder gets a match with Christian before he does.
Striker - Ryder is hoping to raise some eyebrows on the ECW board of directors!
Josh - Earlier tonight, Christian called Ryder a tool!
Striker - he also called William Regal “BILL”!
Striker - The iSuperstar Zack Ryder goes to work!
Josh - iSuperstar?
Striker - I…Superstar…take it as you will.
(during a Christian cross body off the top)Striker - THE BIRDMAN FLIES!
Striker - PENDULUM KICK!
(from Ryder)Striker - TIGER BOMB!
(after Team Regal attacks Christian)Striker - OUTSIDE INTERFERENCE IS GROUNDS FOR DISQUALIFICATION IN THE REFEREE’S HANDBOOK!
Striker - TO THE DEN OF WOLVES GOES THE ECW CHAMPION!
Ring Announcer Chick - Your winner as a result of a qualification - Christian!

Also, Spike has COMPLETELY DONE AWAY WITH TNA REPLAYS! It's not just a 2 week deal, and it's been talked about for weeks in both the Observer and Figure 4 Weekly newsletters. I think it's a monumentally stupid move given how well replays work for TUF, but whatever - it's not like it'll mean anything for TNA's abysmal PPV numbers anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet another "best in a while" show review from Jay.. starting to remind me of Tony Schiavone's "This is the greatest night in the history of our sport!!" every week.

[quote name='Scorch']Yet another "best in a while" show review from Jay.. starting to remind me of Tony Schiavone's "This is the greatest night in the history of our sport!!" every week.[/QUOTE]

He is right though. The show was quite good.

Besides doesn't it get tiring being bitter the entire time?

Just got back from the ECW/Smackdown taping in Trenton, good show overall. Here's the non spoiler match listing for Superstars/Smackdown

Superstars
Sheamus vs. Shelton Benjamin
Cryme Tyme vs. Hart Dynasty

Smackdown
Jericho vs. Mysterio
Michelle McCool vs. Eve Torres
Dolph Ziggler vs. John Morrison
Drew Mcintyre/Kane vs. Matt Hardy/R Truth
Batista vs. CM Punk

Dark Match main event was Taker chokeslamming/tombstoning Punk.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']Thanks. I almost for got about that. Hopefully it will be as good as the last. Man they really lost an opportunity with Tomko after that.[/QUOTE]

My dad is from Bluefield, grew up on Frederick Street. Cool.

- WWE Hall of Famer “Rowdy” Roddy Piper http://www.wrestling-edge.com/wwe-n...-piper-not-expected-to-live-much-longer.html#was recently forced to pull out of a number of previously scheduled appearances as a result of a serious illness. In a sad update on the situation, it’s confirmed that his cancer has returned. However, this time it’s believed to be terminal as he’s not expected to live much longer.

According to a well-placed source within World Wrestling Entertainment, Vince has informed creative to prepare to scrap a segment or two for next week’s Raw as he is planning on running a few video tributes honoring the wrestling legend — just in case.

Piper, 55, was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma in November 2006 after doctors found a cancerous tumor on a disc in his spine. Back discomfort had forced Piper to leave WWE’s tour of Europe and return to North America in order to undergo surgery. In the weeks that followed, Piper spent the majority of his time in a local hospital, undergoing extensive radiation treatmenthttp://www.wrestling-edge.com/wwe-n...-piper-not-expected-to-live-much-longer.html# in hopes of vanquishing the cancer that had invaded his body. While the cancer would eventually disappear, as noted, it recently returned.

That's terrible to hear about Piper. I know the chances of him surviving are slim to none, but I hope he somehow gets through it and beats it. 55 is still too young to go.

Lords of Pain is one of the sites reporting the Piper news - they'd posted that he'd cancelled a few dates last minute last week too.

I really, really, really hope we don't have to do a Hot Rod Memorial Topic any time soon. I hope his heel work in the '80s gets locked away in a vault for safekeeping, brought out for every newcomer to watch and learn from.

Wow, 55? That's awful.

Also, some news concerning Booker T:

Booker T is not expected to remain with TNA once his contract expires (rumored to be in November). He refused to put over Matt Morgan at the TNA Impact taping in Orlando on Tuesday, and the feeling of multiple sources is that this was simply the straw that broke the camel's back when it comes to his strained relationship with TNA management.

Booker made it clear to wrestlers during last week's overseas tour and in the locker room again on Tuesday that he has WWE options and intends to return there once he's contractually able to do so. Although nothing is official regarding his future in TNA, multiple sources predict that his days with the company are numbered. The buzz in the locker room on Tuesday was that Booker will appear at Bound For Glory, drop the tag titles with Scott Steiner at that show or the following tapings, and will not be booked again by the company.

There have been stories regarding Booker's negative attitude in the locker room for months. He voiced his displeasure on an overseas tour bus when he first received word about the plan for him to lose the match to match to Morgan. There was no indication of a personal conflict between Booker and Morgan, as Booker stated that he felt it was a mistake for him to lose the match on television rather than pay-per-view.

Booker cooled down over the weekend and all indications were that he would put over Morgan as planned on Tuesday. However, he refused to follow through with the match plan when push came to shove. He didn't tell company officials about his decision until roughly 45 minutes before the taping, which made for difficult rewrites. He ultimately appeared on the show, but did not wrestle Morgan as originally planned.

Powell's POV: Booker had major heat behind the scenes leading up to his latest meltdown. He is widely regarded as a cancer in the locker room, and one source noted that Booker had a lengthy discussion with Dixie Carter on Monday, only to turn around and refuse to put over Morgan on Tuesday. The feeling within the company is that Carter can send a positive message to the locker room by severing ties with Booker.

Booker was described as disruptive throughout the overseas tour. He refused to work a main event match in Switzerland after the fans threw chairs in response to Steiner ripping the Swiss flag. The feeling of multiple wrestlers was that while they could understand Booker removing his wife Sharmell from that environment, he could have come back and worked the match after the situation calmed down. Instead, Sheik Abdul Bashir worked the match in Booker's place.

The excuse Booker used for not putting over Morgan is similar to the reason Steve Austin used for not putting over Brock Lesnar in an unadvertised Raw match several years ago. The obvious differences are that Booker is not on par with Austin, and TNA wasn't throwing away a big money match like WWE creative would have had Austin not walked out.

http://www.prowrestling.net/artman/publish/TNA/article1008236.shtml

Comparing it to Austin/Lesnar is foolish.

There are no big money matches in TNA. :lol:

I'm not siding with Booker, but they should at least build up Morgan/Booker if they expect it to be meaningful when Morgan wins.

I'd like to point out that Booker had no problem being GI Bro, teaming with a bodybuilder named "Midnight", feuding with Ahmed Johnson over the letter "T", losing the WCW title to Vince Russo in a cage, getting his ass kicked in a grocery store, and feuding over a shampoo commercial with Edge, or jobbing to the Boogeyman.

It's 2009 - Booker should realize that beating him, the man who plays mini-golf backstage and is a complete goof, means nothing. Plus, he had no problem losing to Roode, who was far lower on the totem pole when he beat Booker than Morgan is now.

Fantastic update on Piper - http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/10879/

Rumors floating around today regarding the health of Roddy Piper appear to be unfounded and while Piper has taken time off from all appearances due to doctor's orders, he is expected to start back on an appearence schedule at the end of the month.

According to Piper's agent, Noelle Kim, who talked with him yesterday, he is doing well. She said after the filming of a recent movie, he was told by doctors that he needed to take a break from acting and personal appearances and is taking the break.

"He does not have cancer," she said. "He's been going at it without a break since he was a teenager and the doctors told him that he needed a rest."

Piper suffered from Hodgkin's Lymphoma, diagnosed in 2006 after he was in great pain while wrestling on a WWE tour of Europe. He had beaten the cancer and had been doing acting gigs and personal appearances, and was traveling virtually every week until pulling out of his recent bookings.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very sad to hear about Piper... 55 is far to young to go.

Booker on the other hand... man I don't know. I can see wanting it build up, but really what has Booker himself done in TNA? He is getting by on name recognition (like a lot of vets there) and if he wants to get back to the WWE so bad I say let him go. Guys like him should be a locker room leader and not telling everyone he's just waiting his contract out. Cut him and show that you want to be there or you don't.

edit: Glad to hear about, Piper. Thanks, Jay.

[quote name='JJSP']I'd like to point out that Booker had no problem being GI Bro, teaming with a bodybuilder named "Midnight", feuding with Ahmed Johnson over the letter "T", losing the WCW title to Vince Russo in a cage, getting his ass kicked in a grocery store, and feuding over a shampoo commercial with Edge, or jobbing to the Boogeyman.[/QUOTE]Don't forget reviewing movies with Goldust.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']It's 2009 - Booker should realize that beating him, the man who plays mini-golf backstage and is a complete goof, means nothing. Plus, he had no problem losing to Roode, who was far lower on the totem pole when he beat Booker than Morgan is now.

Fantastic update on Piper - http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/10879/[/QUOTE]
That's a relief about Piper.

So just on the wwe website and realized there's a ppv on their schedule for December called "WWE: TLC Tables, Ladders, and Chairs" Let the themed shows continue!

Source: http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/10879/

Rumors floating around today regarding the health of Roddy Piper appear to be unfounded and while Piper has taken time off from all appearances due to doctor's orders, he is expected to start back on an appearence schedule at the end of the month.

According to Piper's agent, Noelle Kim, who talked with him yesterday, he is doing well. She said after the filming of a recent movie, he was told by doctors that he needed to take a break from acting and personal appearances and is taking the break.

"He does not have cancer," she said. "He's been going at it without a break since he was a teenager and the doctors told him that he needed a rest."

Piper suffered from Hodgkin's Lymphoma, diagnosed in 2006 after he was in great pain while wrestling on a WWE tour of Europe. He had beaten the cancer and had been doing acting gigs and personal appearances, and was traveling virtually every week until pulling out of his recent bookings.

That's good news to hear.

[quote name='bornrunnin31']So just on the wwe website and realized there's a ppv on their schedule for December called "WWE: TLC Tables, Ladders, and Chairs" Let the themed shows continue![/QUOTE]

And not a drop of blood to be shed, I bet.

Also, glad Piper's cancer hasn't come back.

Interesting bit from the new Observer -
Umaga had a shoot interview scheduled for this week that he canceled as he said he may be going back to WWE.
I'd love to see him back with WWE, although I think this could be a WWE tactic to weaken the Hulkamania tour. If that's the case, I'd expect them to bring back Kennedy as well - he's certainly a bigger name than Umaga.

This amused me -
Chavo Guerrero apologized for his recent Twitter outbursts saying, “If I offended anyone last night, sorry. Had a few too many last night.” I understand about that, because I get like that late at night after having a few too many video games.

Neat bit about Yoshi -
Here’s where Tatsu got his name. His real name is Naofumi Yamamoto, and his father’s name is Yoshitatsu Yamamoto, so he took his father’s first name.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']I'd love to see him back with WWE, although I think this could be a WWE tactic to weaken the Hulkamania tour. If that's the case, I'd expect them to bring back Kennedy as well - he's certainly a bigger name than Umaga.[/QUOTE]
Umaga also didn't infuriate Vince, unless you count the Wellness Violations. I could picture the Brooklyn Brawler going over HHH before I could see Kennedy returning.

That's a pretty heartening story about Yoshi. If WWE would have introduced him by saying that, it would have really added to the depth of his character. Instead of "haha japanese people do funny things like bow a lot" guy.

Wasn't Booker's departure from WWE on somewhat bad terms? I mean if he can go back that's great, but I could have sworn that bridge was hanging by a thread after he left.

Glad to hear that Piper's cancer hasn't returned.

[quote name='Purple Flames']Wasn't Booker's departure from WWE on somewhat bad terms? I mean if he can go back that's great, but I could have sworn that bridge was hanging by a thread after he left.

Glad to hear that Piper's cancer hasn't returned.[/QUOTE]
I think it had something to do with the Wellness Poilcy, right?

[quote name='Mr. Beef']I think it had something to do with the Wellness Poilcy, right?[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought. Considering how well he was getting over as King Booker at the time (he was still doing the king booker thing then right?). If the wellness violation was the only reason he was let go , things might not be so bad for him. Maybe Booker wants back in the WWE so that they don't start putting out dvds that ruin his "legacy".

As for everyone talking about Nancy O'Dell , there was an article interviewing her in this months WWE magazine. Mentioned that she and her son are big WWE fans and she's worked on things with the company in the past.

bread's done
Back