Captain Lou Albano (1933-2009) memorial wrestling topic

PWG's Battle Of Los Angeles 2009 tournament is coming up, and it'll crown a new PWG Champion since Danielson vacated the title after beating Chris Hero. So far announced are Kevin Steen, Scott Lost, Bryan Kendrick, and SoCal locals Jerome "LTP" Robinson and Brandon Gatson. One of the guys on the PWG board handles a bunch of the video work for promos and feud highlights, and he's putting together entrant clips for those in the tournament. First up, Kevin Steen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkISIhcUWfk

I dunno.

You think DX stinks.

But people still pack arenas to go hear Def Leppard play "Pour Some Sugar on Me."

Now, I'm not one of those people. I have self-respect and dignity.

I'm just trying to demonstrate that maybe there's a parallel there between shitty old cockrock bands' popularity and what WWE tries to do.

Go to a crowded public area and play "Don't Stop Believin'" at a high volume to see what I'm trying to argue.

Ring of Honor's Survival of the Fittest 2009 tonight.

Main Event- Survival of the Fittest Elimination Match
The six winners of their Survival of the Fittest qualifying matches will compete in an elimination match

Dream Tag Team Match
ROH World Champion Austin Aries & Tag Team Champion Davey Richards vs. Jay & Mark Briscoe

Survival of Fittest Qualifying Match
Kenny Omega vs. Chris Hero with Shane Hagadorn

Petey Williams vs. Claudio Castagnoli

Tyler Black vs. Kenny King

Kevin Steen vs. Colt Cabana

Roderick Strong vs. Rhett Titus

Survival of the Fittest Qualifying Match
TBA vs. TBA

Tag Team Action
The Young Bucks vs. The House of Truth

What are you trying to say about Motorhead? One of the finest bands ever.

EDIT: Now Lemmy's too full of bourbon to remember the lyrics to the song, but that makes him even more fucking awesome.

^^^ I was there!

[quote name='onetrackmind']Thanks man, i had a really great time last night. Richards v Omega was by far the best live wrestling match i've ever seen. It was fucking nuts! Richards really reminds me of the Dynamite Kid, although i dont know if thats a fair comparison since thats his only match of his i've seen. Delirious was awesome and stole my hat to throw at Aries. I didn't care for the young bucks though, maybe i was just spent after watching the Omega/Richards match though. Cabana was in a four way that was filled with comedy spots, which was fun. I really enjoyed Claudio's match as well.

All in all it was the best live event i've ever been too. My only grip was i didn't notice a lot of differenig styles between wrestlers. I think i saw only two submission holds ( a boston crab and a sharpshooter), Petey Williams did 6 insuguries (sp?) in one fucking match, and too many small packages/roll ups for wins instead of clean pins. Still really cool, i'll be going again when they come back in July.[/QUOTE]

Was that the ROH show in Collinsville? MSUHitman went, and Pure Apathy talked about going.

As for Smackdown, why was Rey, who had lost the IC title and tag title matches his last 2 times out, given a title shot? Batista makes more sense, but he just lost, too. Will the 4 way match be the first time Undertaker and Mysterio have been in the same match besides the Rumble?

Also:

51CPLsdf31L.jpg

Highlighting the athlete renowned as the savior of the World Wrestling Federation (WWF) and the man who destroyed World Championship Wrestling (WCW), this behind-the-scenes autobiography documents the astonishing career of Vince Russo. Chronicling the rise, fall, and eventual rebirth of professional wrestling, this engrossing account answers questions such as How did Vince McMahon win the war between the WWF and WCW? What was Eric Bischoff really like? and Why did Hulk Hogan threaten lawsuits? Penned by a winner of the WCW World Heavyweight Championship, this memoir details the author’s historic face-off with Hulk Hogan in Daytona Beach as well as the legendary Monday Night Wars. Exploring the inner workings of the sport’s most turbulent era, this memoir speaks from the center of the maelstrom, delivering a fresh and informed perspective on the current pro-wrestling scene. From the death of WCW to the rise of Total Nonstop Action Wrestling—the world’s fastest-growing and most cutting-edge wrestling promotion—this remarkable narrative demonstrates how a grown man can find peace within the insanity of the squared circle.

It makes sense because CM Punk's push is being put out to pasture.

Duh.

Penned by a winner of the WCW World Heavyweight Championship

:lol: Dude sorely misunderstands the "heat" he gets.

EDIT:
delivering a fresh and informed perspective
Total Nonstop Action Wrestling—the world’s fastest-growing and most cutting-edge wrestling promotion
this remarkable narrative
a grown man

And like a 8 or 9 on the Ultimate Warrior delusional scale.

TigerDriver's videos are pretty terrific for things that are generally done as a fan and without any request from the company. Dude is insane about PWG.

ROH's webstore stocks PWG DVD's too - whenever they run a decent sale, I highly recommend picking up some of the PWG shows. Anything of the All Star Weekend or BOLA shows are solid places to start.

[quote name='Matt Young']Was that the ROH show in Collinsville? MSUHitman went, and Pure Apathy talked about going.[/QUOTE]

I talked about going to the show before this one (the one where Ric Flair made an appearance).

I wanted to go to the ROH show last night but I just found out about it on Wednesday while I was watching the Colt Cabana interview on here. I had to work till 6:30 and it would have been really close to bell time before I could've made it there. I'm going to try to go in July if that's when they'll be back.

[quote name='JJSP']TigerDriver's videos are pretty terrific for things that are generally done as a fan and without any request from the company. Dude is insane about PWG.

ROH's webstore stocks PWG DVD's too - whenever they run a decent sale, I highly recommend picking up some of the PWG shows. Anything of the All Star Weekend or BOLA shows are solid places to start.[/QUOTE]

This.

What you say the show of the year for PWG has been?

Right now ROH has a Buy 3 Get 2 free sale. You really can't do better than that.

Ring of Honor Survival of the Fittest 2009 Results

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Jim Cornette opens the show. Delirious has bye into the SotF finals.

House of Truth vs. The Young Bucks next.

The Young Bucks win. Said to be "great match."

Kevin Steen vs. Colt Cabana now.

Colt Cabana with the win after he got the knees up on a Senton Bomb. Kevin Steen may have blown his knee out.

Rhett Titus vs. Roderick Strong is up.

Roderick Strong over Rhett Titus with the Gibson Driver.

Tyler Black vs. Kenny King now.
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Vince McMahon compares WWE to UFC, says WWE has a "sophisticated" product
Oct 10, 2009 - 3:05:51 PM

WWE chairman Vince McMahon says WWE isn't trying to compete with UFC by having a more family-friendly and "sophisticated" product that doesn't depend on violence.

"You really can't compete with that," McMahon told the AP. "Why not deliver a more sophisticated product and not go to those extremes? If the audience wants those extremes, they know where to go and how to get it."

McMahon says it's the right decision for WWE to aim for PG-level programming after going through the TV-14 Attitude era.

"We just followed our audience and tried to listen to them," McMahon said. "It's a more sophisticated product. It's just the right move business-wise, but more specifically the right move in terms of reaching our audience."

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/W...le_35921.shtml

Also...

- Right now, TNA has a "out with the old, in with the new" mentality when it comes to pushing talent & who's staying on the roster. They seem to want to get rid of those big money veteran contracts. Vince Russo is the main guy behind wanting the young talent to get pushed hard. If it were up to Kurt Angle, he would job to all the young talent, because all he wants to do is put people over, but they restrain him a bit.

- Scott Steiner & Kevin Nash's deals are up soon after Bound for Glory. Steiner is most likely gone. Nash may be gone, but he's a master politician, so it's really up in the air if he's staying or not. Nash has talked in the past about wanting to work the production side of TNA.

- Booker T is most likely done after Bound for Glory. He's acting like a bigger star than he really is & doesn't want to put over the young talent like he said he wanted to do when he first came in.

- Lacey Von Erich at the TV tapings was milking an injury and complaining about it, but nobody gave her sympathy. She's the only person backstage that stays in her gear all day, as she refers to it as her "costume". She made the trainer come in the women's locker room with ice, while Awesome Kong was changing, which pissed Kong off. Kong brought her to where Angle was getting ice on his neck & told her that's where wrestlers get iced on by trainer, Lacey threw a fit at management trying to get Kong in trouble, but that completely backfired on her & she's the one that got in trouble. She has zero locker room etiquette & is not respectful, plus she's just horrible in the ring. Most people think she won't last even 6 months in the company.

credit: Prowrestling.net Audio Update

[quote name='mykevermin']:lol: Dude sorely misunderstands the "heat" he gets.

And like a 8 or 9 on the Ultimate Warrior delusional scale.[/QUOTE]

C'mon, you know the publisher had someone in the office write that up. How many authors write their own publicity blurbs?

"It's a more sophisticated product." - Vince McMahon
:rofl:

Now that's delusional.

Hahaha. I love Nash and Hall. That was a great video. Thanks for posting it.

Davey Richards is a really good wrestler. I saw him live at the DragonGate show here in Chicago. Dude had some sick moves. Tries a little too hard to be the badass Benoit type guy but other than that he's got a lot of talent.

Speaking of DragonGate USA, everyone needs to check that shit out.

Someone posted something about the Young Bucks earlier. Please. They have some talent but are just boring. They have really no personality. I saw them live and besides the big spots they didn't impress me much. Everyone in the crowd was so hot for them. They cut a promo earlier in the night which was somehow worse than the ones you see on WWE. They seem like the stereotypical guys from a boring ass state like Ohio or North Carolina trying to live out their dream of being a pro wrestler. They did have a cool finisher but I have no idea why everyone was so hard for those guys. Maybe I just need to see more of their work.

[quote name='neocisco']:rofl:

Now that's delusional.[/QUOTE]
The very first thing I thought of when I saw that quote from Vince was that 3-month long "fued" between Chavo and Hornswoggle. "Sophisticated," indeed.

I wish the WWE wouldn't even mention UFC. They're so wildly different that...

Jesus Christ Myke, 905 trophies?!

...I digress. They're so different that Vince McMahon may as well mention that the WWE doesn't use a points system while the NBA does. Just continue to fill the niche, now is not the time to try and face off against MMA.

[quote name='Halo05']I wish the WWE wouldn't even mention UFC. They're so wildly different that...

Jesus Christ Myke, 905 trophies?!

...I digress. They're so different that Vince McMahon may as well mention that the WWE doesn't use a points system while the NBA does. Just continue to fill the niche, now is not the time to try and face off against MMA.[/QUOTE]

You're dead wrong.

A MMA vs. WWE angle would rock.

I could have bought it if McMahon mentioned something about WWE appealing to broad age/gender demographics - because, after all, that's what they try to do (even if, in the process, they spread themselves so thin so as to pretty poorly "entertain" these demos).

But "sophisticated" ain't the goddamned word for it. Ain't in the ballpark. Ain't even the same language, truth be told.

I'm going to sound like a callus babyboomer, or something, but: I kinda wish Vince McMahon would have a life-ending injury.

Then again, the WWE product would still reek like shit, as it would be ruled entirely by his daughter and son-in-law.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUf_So3x-l8

The camera work on that Piper promo was fantastic. :lol: @ him talking to Hogan through the toilet.

What the fuck at that 3rd video!

e74f10.jpg

Here’s a new action movie which is set to be released in cinemas (in the US) earlier next year, although already released in the UK on DVD. That is kind of stupid really by the producers as this is gonna be watched by millions before even going on the big screen . Damage is a 2009 action film starring Stone Cold Steve Austin. It is written by Frank Hannah and directed by Jeff King. The film is a hard-edged, bare-knuckles fight film that focuses on the tough choices people make in times of recession. The quality is very good because it is taken from a retail source. Expect to see a scene release shortly if you want to wait, but there is no need.
Damage is the story of John Brickner (Steve Austin), a man recently paroled from prison, driven into the illegal world of underground fighting. Brickner attempts to renew his life on the outside amidst a world infused with degenerates, criminals and killers. With the help of slick fighting promoter Reno (Walton Goggins) and his cut person Frankie (Laura Vandervoot), Brickner soon finds himself climbing the underground ranks. The stakes escalate as Brickner puts it all on the line in a fight to the death.

unlocked.gif

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IDOM0VRD

http://hotfile.com/dl/14341917/9cbec...y.avi.001.html
http://hotfile.com/dl/14342114/801bf...y.avi.002.html

http://www.storage.to/get/ASxm7KKY/D...id.ISWE-Rg.avi

[quote name='rickshankshaw']This.

What you say the show of the year for PWG has been?

Right now ROH has a Buy 3 Get 2 free sale. You really can't do better than that.[/QUOTE]
So far, DDT4 in my opinion. The Young Bucks against Kenny Omega and Chuck Taylor was EPIC because the fans turned on TYB midway through the match - they were solid faces until that match, and now the crowd loathes them. Threemendous #2's another great display of it with Generico & Tornado playing face and the Bucks heeling it up. That show's got Hero/Joey Guerrilla Warfare, but the match isn't that great aside from the last five minutes or so.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']Motherfucking KENTA vs. Chris Hero tonight on ROH! I'm amped![/QUOTE]

I'll be checking that out on the YouTube. :) Wife and I watch Raw every Monday, but we do it mostly out of habit. That and I know something cool is going to happen as soon as I don't watch. How did you guys just break the Habit?

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']I'll be checking that out on the YouTube. :) Wife and I watch Raw every Monday, but we do it mostly out of habit. That I know something cool is going to happen as soon as I don't watch. How did you guys just break the Habit?[/QUOTE]

We watch RAW. The consequent skipping of RAW is made all the easier. ;)

ROH has a 40% deal for DVDs - enter the coupon code oct40 to get 40% off your order. I used it today to get Man Up and the JJ/Cornette shoot for $25. I wish I'd been able to use it when I bought something YESTERDAY, but $15 total for the Cornette NWA Fanfest DVD is fine - I'm sure I'll get plenty of use out of it.

[quote name='JJSP']So far, DDT4 in my opinion. The Young Bucks against Kenny Omega and Chuck Taylor was EPIC because the fans turned on TYB midway through the match - they were solid faces until that match, and now the crowd loathes them. Threemendous #2's another great display of it with Generico & Tornado playing face and the Bucks heeling it up. That show's got Hero/Joey Guerrilla Warfare, but the match isn't that great aside from the last five minutes or so.[/QUOTE]

Which of these should I pick up?

Pro Wrestling Guerrilla - The Gentle Art of Making Enemies 1/10/09
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla - Express Written Consent 2/21/09
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla - One Hundred
Pro Wrestling Guerrilla - The Secret of Guerrilla Island

Express Written Consent was great - it's the beginning of the Generico/Omega feud, and the three way Hero/Tornado/Cabana match was good too.

If you're looking for one solid top to bottom show, PWG's BOLA 2007 Night 3 is generally called the best top to bottom show they've done.

http://www.rohwrestling.com/shoponline.asp?point=moreinfo&catid=321&id=3085

1. Roderick Strong vs. Joey Ryan (Block A Quarterfinal)
2. Alex Shelley vs. Matt Sydal (Block A Quarterfinal)
3. PAC vs. Claudio Castagnoli (Block B Quarterfinal)
4. CIMA vs. SHINGO (Block B Quarterfinal)
5. Nigel McGuinnes vs. Necro Butcher (Block C Quarterfinal)
6. El Generico vs. Dragon Kid (Block C Quarterfinal)
7. Roderick Strong vs. Alex Shelley (Block A Semifinal)
8. CIMA vs. PAC (Block B Semifinal)
9. El Generico vs. Nigel McGuinness (Block C Semifinal)
10. Chris Hero, Kevin Steen, Tyler Black, Doug Williams, Susumu Yokosuka & Jack Evans vs. Austin Aries, Jimmy Rave, The Human Tornado, Scott Lost, Davey Richards & Karl Anderson
11. CIMA vs. Roderick Strong vs. El Generico (Finals - Triple Threat Elimination)

Shelley and Sydal was excellent, Nigel and Necro was short but stiff, and the finale three way dance is one of the top five matches I've been there live for.

[quote name='JJSP']Express Written Consent was great - it's the beginning of the Generico/Omega feud, and the three way Hero/Tornado/Cabana match was good too.

If you're looking for one solid top to bottom show, PWG's BOLA 2007 Night 3 is generally called the best top to bottom show they've done.

http://www.rohwrestling.com/shoponline.asp?point=moreinfo&catid=321&id=3085

1. Roderick Strong vs. Joey Ryan (Block A Quarterfinal)
2. Alex Shelley vs. Matt Sydal (Block A Quarterfinal)
3. PAC vs. Claudio Castagnoli (Block B Quarterfinal)
4. CIMA vs. SHINGO (Block B Quarterfinal)
5. Nigel McGuinnes vs. Necro Butcher (Block C Quarterfinal)
6. El Generico vs. Dragon Kid (Block C Quarterfinal)
7. Roderick Strong vs. Alex Shelley (Block A Semifinal)
8. CIMA vs. PAC (Block B Semifinal)
9. El Generico vs. Nigel McGuinness (Block C Semifinal)
10. Chris Hero, Kevin Steen, Tyler Black, Doug Williams, Susumu Yokosuka & Jack Evans vs. Austin Aries, Jimmy Rave, The Human Tornado, Scott Lost, Davey Richards & Karl Anderson
11. CIMA vs. Roderick Strong vs. El Generico (Finals - Triple Threat Elimination)

Shelley and Sydal was excellent, Nigel and Necro was short but stiff, and the finale three way dance is one of the top five matches I've been there live for.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link!

And Hero vs. KENTA = Holy damn were those some STIFF elbows!

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Raw tonight? Looks like I'll have no problem clearing that first dungeon later tonight in Majora's Mask.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget the faries!

I'll be either pkaying some TF2 or Titan Quest while RAW serves as background noise.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']Motherfucking KENTA vs. Chris Hero tonight on ROH! I'm amped![/QUOTE]

Oh neat. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be out on the look for it on YouTube. :)

/facepalm after watching that mess of a diva's title match.

I rather see Jillian holding that title for a bit but whatevers.

bread's done
Back