Card Fighters DS Discussion - Last Snk vs. Capcom Licensed Game To Be Made

[quote name='ZForce']Yeah this one will probably be a pretty small print run, so I wouldn't be too surprised if SNK and "Cape"com (yes I got that call too) fanboys cause the price on this one to jack up. The second CFC on NGPC (which was only available in Japan) had a VERY small print run and these days tends to fetch around $150 on Ebay.[/QUOTE]

Well, from what I heard, EBGS is only getting enough to fill preorders, and that if you didn't preorder you're SOL. That alone tells me that the first run is going to be crazy small and I highly doubt this is going to pull a "phoenix wright" and get multiple shipping after the fact.

I guess I should change my last statement; the absolute WORST case scenario is that the game blows and for whatever reason, SNK decides to mass produce this thing. In that case it'll just rot on my shelf for the rest of it's days :lol:

Well that's because Phoenix Wright managed to attract a huge fanbase which surpassed Capcom's expectations.

The only people that are going to be buying this cardfighters are people who played the NGPC version, which is going to be pretty slim considering that probably 98% of the gaming populace even HEARD of Neo Geo Pocket

I picked it up, after hearing about how the first one rocked hard.

It's fun, nothing super amazing so far. I'm on floor 3, so I haven't seen much.

However, the translation and story are both *horrid*. It has things like "Congratulation!" and "Cum Battle Record".

If anyone bothered to proofread this, they would have noticed that second one reaaaaaaaally needs a period.

[quote name='Logain8955']"Cum Battle Record".[/quote]

That's it.

That is quite possibly the greatest gaming typo my eyes have seen, it even trumps "YOUR WINNER" and the "All Your Bases" BS.

I love it, but more because it's a decent card game fille with SNK and Capcom goodness... it's more confusing and more cluttered than the original, but it's better than nothing.

and yes... I can't keep my eyes off of Congratulation... alot of errors, but I was expecting that.

So.. Let's say I never played the NGPC version (So as to avoid tainted views by idealized memories of a classic) but I love Capcom and SNK characters..

Buy, or wait for clearance?

It'll probably become hard to find before it ever gets to clearance, so if you want it, I'd grab it now. That being said... they had it at K-MART?! The Gamestop I picked it up at got in a whopping three copies, one of which was my preordered copy.

[quote name='ZForce']Well that's because Phoenix Wright managed to attract a huge fanbase which surpassed Capcom's expectations.

The only people that are going to be buying this cardfighters are people who played the NGPC version, which is going to be pretty slim considering that probably 98% of the gaming populace even HEARD of Neo Geo Pocket[/QUOTE]

Well honestly, I never played the original (and yet I call my self a trading card game fanatic). Maybe after playing this (which won't be soon, since I got PokeFever) I'll try out the original, on PSP :lol:

On a different note, when I picked up my copy, I asked around. Apparently EB got in two more copies, because I preordered, the GS around the corner (literally) got one copy, Gamecrazy got NONE and Target & K-Mart got none. So in the entire city of Buffalo (Pop: 50,000 I THINK), there's four copies, one of which I own. I'm getting the feeling that this might just be rare. But I guess we'll have to give it some months before proclaiming anything.

[quote name='ZForce']It'll probably become hard to find before it ever gets to clearance, so if you want it, I'd grab it now. That being said... they had it at K-MART?! The Gamestop I picked it up at got in a whopping three copies, one of which was my preordered copy.[/QUOTE]

One of my former managers once told me that EBGS's ratio for non-preorders:preorders is 2:1. ie; for every Preorder, EBGS orders an adition two games with it.

Well, rare or not I'm starting to wish they just remade the NGPC version with the added characters. I'm very on the fence with this game, but "Cum Battle Record" is sooooo reeking of awesomeness, that alone might make me cave in....

This feels much slower than the NGPC version, I could blaze through a match in about 2-3 minutes, but there's more to this version. The color orbs are kinda annoying at first, but I see how it'll factor into making a deck. You just can't throw the best card in there (I remember Shin Akuma, Yamazaki, Mech Zangeif, Geese and Mech Akuma being gods.) This version definatly involves more strategy. Good thing the AI is retarded at the begining cause they gave me one crappy deck to start with.

wow. that sig made me lol

So is the early indications that the problems with the Japanese versions have been remedied, and it's good, but not as good as the original?

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']This feels much slower than the NGPC version, I could blaze through a match in about 2-3 minutes, but there's more to this version. The color orbs are kinda annoying at first, but I see how it'll factor into making a deck. You just can't throw the best card in there (I remember Shin Akuma, Yamazaki, Mech Zangeif, Geese and Mech Akuma being gods.) This version definatly involves more strategy. Good thing the AI is retarded at the begining cause they gave me one crappy deck to start with.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, so far I'm in the upper mid of the tower and it seems the AI gets a tiny bit smarter... but not really. Plus, it's a bit of a pain to build decks ATM with low funds..

I like it, but would have prefered that it stayed closer to the roots. The splitting of BP and HP makes the game a little bit more complex and a pain to remember stuff at times.

here's hoping SNK releases a "Neo Geo Pocket Collection Vol 1" for the DS with the updated version of the original.

[quote name='Chacrana']So ReRo and assorted others... I never played the original... should I pick this up?[/QUOTE]

Play a bit of the original before touching this (ie. emulated or the actual thing). I'm scared you're going to think it always sucked when playing this, while in actuality the originals were and are probably the best video game card games will ever get.

I'm still surprised you don't have a NGPC after seeing the stuff you collect >_< still the best damn portable.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Play a bit of the original before touching this (ie. emulated or the actual thing). I'm scared you're going to think it always sucked when playing this, while in actuality the originals were and are probably the best video game card games will ever get.

I'm still surprised you don't have a NGPC after seeing the stuff you collect >_< still the best damn portable.[/QUOTE]

Well like, does this not hold up on its own or...? I understand where you're coming from as far as the original being a great game, but if this version doesn't stand out on its own as being worthwhile, then I'm probably not going to bother with it.

I'm in the same situation as Chacrana. Regretting selling that NGPC I got for cheap before getting a chance to buy/play Card Fighters on it.

It's hard to say to jump on it depending on how big a fan you are of different points of the game. SNK/Capcom freaks will love the art and random info in it, card game enthusiasts may be split though. It's really hard to reccomend or not recommend this... I know my opinion will be a bit biased since I love SNK/Capcom and any TCG video games.

More awesome engrish.

Description of Kyosuke's Last Symphony Power. He's a 600/600, 2YYY character.

"Unfreezes all unfrozen Character Cards but this one frozen in your own Ring."

Um, wtf?

Oh, quick explaination of the terms above. Since this game is very much like Magic The Gathering, I borrowed its terminology. It's basically BP/HP, then Force Cost. 2YYY means 2 white (any color) then 3 Yellows.

[quote name='Logain8955']More awesome engrish.

Description of Kyosuke's Last Symphony Power. He's a 600/600, 2YYY character.

"Unfreezes all unfrozen Character Cards but this one frozen in your own Ring."

Um, wtf?

Oh, quick explaination of the terms above. Since this game is very much like Magic The Gathering, I borrowed its terminology. It's basically BP/HP, then Force Cost. 2YYY means 2 white (any color) then 3 Yellows.[/QUOTE]

I kept seeing that and didn't know what the fuck it meant... one of the "unfreeze"s is probably "freeze"

[quote name='Chacrana']Well like, does this not hold up on its own or...? I understand where you're coming from as far as the original being a great game, but if this version doesn't stand out on its own as being worthwhile, then I'm probably not going to bother with it.[/QUOTE]

I'm a whore for anything SNK so of course I'm gonna play this game inside out. And honestly I dislike anything "card based." I agree with RR that this version is more complex and right now I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Let me play more and really get into the game. I didn't play it all that much yesterday, cause I was so tired after I got off work, but I'll play much more today. Hopfully I'll get hooked like the orginal.

Money is a pain like you said RR. I'm only gettin 100 CP per match and a damn booster is 600 CP. I gotta do 6 matches to get some new cards, with the matachs being 10 minutes long. I have to play an hour until I can aford to buy a booster pack. I haven't bought one yet but that pack better have more than 7 cards in it. I miss just geting a couple random cards after a win.

are the starter decks random?

because mine was complete crap.

the game is so-so. the story line is horrid, and the translation is laughable.

i was a bit confused at first, but as soon as i figures out what i was doing, i whooped the first girl's ass.

im gonna play more after work and see if it gets better.

[quote name='peloquin17']are the starter decks random?

because mine was complete crap.

the game is so-so. the story line is horrid, and the translation is laughable.

i was a bit confused at first, but as soon as i figures out what i was doing, i whooped the first girl's ass.

im gonna play more after work and see if it gets better.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if the starting decks are random or not. I'm gonna asume they are to a degree. So lets figure it out right now. I got a prodominatly "Yellow Orb" deck to start off with. To name a few off cards I started with: Rikuo, Blanka, Servebot, and Chun Li's "Sorry" action card. Did everyone else get the same?

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I'm not sure if the starting decks are random or not. I'm gonna asume they are to a degree. So lets figure it out right now. I got a prodominatly "Yellow Orb" deck to start off with. To name a few off cards I started with: Rikuo, Blanka, Servebot, and Chun Li's "Sorry" action card. Did everyone else get the same?[/QUOTE]

mine was mostly yellow too. i had dhalsim, dark sakura (im not calling her tanned), heidern, Q, the wresling chick from rival schools, that big fat fighter with the ball and chain from sam showdown, crap...i cant remember the rest.

i had alot of SNK characters.

ill try to post my deck at lunch.

^ That sounds like what I have, I had all them as well. However that wrestling chick I think is R. Mika from Alpha 3, and the fat guy with the ball is Chin from KOF. Maybe you got him confused with Earthquake.

ANyone else get an Akuma card from the old man?

ok...here's the deck i started with

SNK
Atomic Gai
Carol
Chae Lim
Chang Koehan
Charlotte
Chin Gentsai
Clark
Duo Lon
Eagle
Goro Daimon
Heidern
Kim Sueil
Kojiroh Sanada (Kaori)
Mars People
Momoko
Mr. Big
Rimururu
Rose
Shingo Yabuki
Soiree Meira
Sokaku Mochizuki
Tizoc
Tung Fu Rue

CAP
Bilstein
Blanka
Dhalsim
Fiona Belli x2
Incho
Miles Edgeworth
Nina
Q
R Mika
Raizo
Rikuo x2
Sakura (Tanned)
Servebot x2
T Hawk
Trish
Tron Bonne
Urien
Victor Von Gerdenheim
Yang

Action
Miraculous Magic
Placid Prayer
Sorry!

Counter
Charge!
Free at Last!

That's exactly what I started with. Also got the Akuma card.

Then I did some scratchers and got Ken, some other A rare, and Megaman X.

Stuck at this one floor cause this stupid fucking boss wont fight me, but wont let me pass until I get an SNK Hayate card to trade her, where as I've been on Capcom the ENTIRE BLOODY TIME.

Edit: The german dude on the floor beneath her gives you the Hayate card. =\ Had to Gamefaqs it to find out.

Thanks for the heads up. I was stuck right there too.

Unhealthy game tip:
One thing I've noticed that carried over from the first game is a glitch of sorts. The CPU opponents almost always defend against the first attacker. So if there's one defender and you have a weak attacker and a strong one. Send the weak one first then the strong one. It's not 100% but works most of the time.

[quote name='Logain8955']That's exactly what I started with. Also got the Akuma card.

Then I did some scratchers and got Ken, some other A rare, and Megaman X.

Stuck at this one floor cause this stupid fucking boss wont fight me, but wont let me pass until I get an SNK Hayate card to trade her, where as I've been on Capcom the ENTIRE BLOODY TIME.

Edit: The german dude on the floor beneath her gives you the Hayate card. =\ Had to Gamefaqs it to find out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was the one who posted there to ask... took me forever till now to know.

Okay, seems like everyone starts out with the same crappy deck. I'm slowly moving away from yellow and into green.

I got a Mech Akuma, however it's not as badass as the previous one. It's a C Rank card.

damn frys didnt put this game on sale today,

should I get it anyway??? I can pick it up w/ Grumin.

but then that means I wont be opening my sealed copy of hotel dusk in a while.

ohhhhh decisions...

Sooooo what's the verdict? I still have my copy preordered-don't know how long they keep it for.

I LOVE the original, but EVERYTHING about this version sounds worse. Worse gameplay, worse, more cluttered graphics, worse translation, etc.

I would have much rather just had a slight upgrade to the original. Keep it the same but slightly higher resolution art, add in some new characters, make the game slightly longer. I would have gone for that. This...? This *should* be one of the two biggest games this month, but instead it's being slipped out...

EDIT: I'll probably hate that they made the gameplay more complex. It was just right for me in the original. Didn't need random "orbs" or whatever added in.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I LOVE the original, but EVERYTHING about this version sounds worse. Worse gameplay, worse, more cluttered graphics, worse translation, etc.

EDIT: I'll probably hate that they made the gameplay more complex. It was just right for me in the original. Didn't need random "orbs" or whatever added in.[/quote]

I put in over 100 hours on the original because I liked it so much. After picking the new one up yesterday, I've probably put in 5 hours so far. It's very much the same only different. The "orbs" are called force. They're like specialized SP. Most abilities and action require a certain color. It's no big change.

The only change I don't care for is being frozen when you put your char in play instead of just not being able to attack.

My biggest gripe is collecting cards. Money is too hard to come by, and then when you collect 800 CP to blow on a booster pack with only 5 cards. I'm sure you get more money down the road, but that also means Booster packs will become more expensive. At the begining Booster packs include 3 C Rank cards and 2 D Rank Cards. I don't mind the bad translation, In fact it's kinda funny, and I'm getting used to the new "complex" system. But I just need more cards, and I need money to do that.

BTW I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it but there's no free roaming, it's all point and click on the field. This is a minus for me cause it means it will limit your travels. So I guess no secret rooms like they had in the Resident Evil Mansion for the NGPC version.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']My biggest gripe is collecting cards. Money is too hard to come by, and then when you collect 800 CP to blow on a booster pack with only 5 cards. I'm sure you get more money down the road, but that also means Booster packs will become more expensive. At the begining Booster packs include 3 C Rank cards and 2 D Rank Cards. I don't mind the bad translation, In fact it's kinda funny, and I'm getting used to the new "complex" system. But I just need more cards, and I need money to do that.

BTW I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it but there's no free rooming, it's all point and click on the field. This is a minus for me cause it means it will limit your travels. So I guess no secret rooms like they hade in the Resident Evil Mansion for the NGPC version.[/quote]

Thanks for all the feedback, Rodimus. This latest post reveals the dealbreaker for me, as it really sounds like a grind to upgrade your deck. I too am an SNK whore, but since I'm not all that into TCGs to begin with, your reviews have been much appreciated...

I'm noticing that this game does a really shitty job of shuffleing. I just took my first loss because out of 10 cards, 7 were action/counter cards.

Which happens to be every single action and counter card in the bloody deck.

Edit: Oh, and you lose cash for losing a match.

With all the negitivity going on Cardfighters' still fun. We're all comparing it to the NGPC version which ultimatly had more charm. This version is a step torwards the Yu Gi Oh market and away from fighting game fans.

[quote name='gunm']Thanks for all the feedback, Rodimus. This latest post reveals the dealbreaker for me, as it really sounds like a grind to upgrade your deck. I too am an SNK whore, but since I'm not all that into TCGs to begin with, your reviews have been much appreciated...[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

This game seems pretty bad, and all the bad points people are bringing up are the biggest deal breakers of all for me. Every post I read on this game pushes me further away from ever buying it, unless I see it extremely dirt cheap.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']With all the negitivity going on Cardfighters' still fun. We're all comparing it to the NGPC version which ultimatly had more charm. This version is a step torwards the Yu Gi Oh market and away from fighting game fans.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'm still having fun with the game, but the flaws are pretty glaring. It'd be a nice 10-15 dollar game.

I'd really like to try some multiplayer though, that seems like where the game would really shine.

Yeah, it's a blast to play, but the gameplay focus has shifted... that's it really.

And yes, I miss the free roaming. The old sound clips kicked ass too >_<

as for the Akuma, I got it as well, so far have 2. I'm working with a strictly yellow and green deck and will migrate to a red/blue or blue deck since some of my favorite characters reside in that. Also, I'll work with a green only deck eventually.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Anyone seen a Billy Kane or Geese card yet? And if so what color orbs are they? I'm gonna make a deck for them.[/QUOTE]

Don't know.. haven't seen either. I will say so far all the card art and info is sweet as hell. Plus, I got to the 10th and 11th floor today. I think the 10th floor is the vegas floor. Whne you get to that floor the game gets a million times better. The payout is a ton of CP (makes my complaint with little payout totally gone now), you can bet packs, plus opponent HP is up to 3000. I can say the entire game is alot more comforting and enjoyable after getting to this floor. I'm pleasantly surprised.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']wow... I'm slow... I didn't realize you could use colored orbs as white orbs... the game just got a little bit better now.[/QUOTE]

lol, I said that back when we were talking about the bad unfreeze guy :D

But, glad to hear about the vegas floor. I think I'm gonna go and play up to it now.

I'm glad the payout gets better. Honestly I haven't moved up in floors at all. Just hanging around, fighting bosses, getting money. I'll start my accend now.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']I'm glad the payout gets better. Honestly I haven't moved up in floors at all. Just hanging around, fighting bosses, getting money. I'll start my accend now.[/QUOTE]

The only floor where things get profitable is the Vegas floor, but it seems that's the best floor to hang around in if you need time to build a better deck.

This game is way too easy. All you need to focus in on beatdown and start rentless assult on enemy. It not hard to reduce your oppenent life points less then half by your second turn. I rather prefer Yugioh or Mtg atleast there is some strategy involved.

Did anyone here got a SNK Hayate card? I'm stuck on 7th Capcom floor, the boss won't let me battle her without the Hayate. I keep contasntly opening SNK packs even with the soft reset, I still haven't recieved that card. Is it a trade card or rare card or scratch card? It's pissing me off that I'm on same floor for couple of hours due to one stupid card holding me down

[quote name='fatbeer']This game is way too easy. All you need to focus in on beatdown and start rentless assult on enemy. It not hard to reduce your oppenent life points less then half by your second turn. I rather prefer Yugioh or Mtg atleast there is some strategy involved.

Did anyone here got a SNK Hayate card? I'm stuck on 7th Capcom floor, the boss won't let me battle her without the Hayate. I keep contasntly opening SNK packs even with the soft reset, I still haven't recieved that card. Is it a trade card or rare card or scratch card? It's pissing me off that I'm on same floor for couple of hours due to one stupid card holding me down[/QUOTE]

We talked about the Hayate card in the previous page. You have to talk with the German dude, I think on the 3rd floor, he should give you one. I'm not too sure so look back at the other posts.

So from what I am reading if you were fanatical about the ngpc game this one still holds up? I am very interested in the game since i am big on TCGs and Fighters and I loved the ngpc one. I just wish hasbro would get the hint and make some sort of M:tG ds game. They could make one a year with the previous years block of sets and just rake in the cash.

bread's done
Back