Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

I'm at 483.5%, 6:32:09 in. I just found what I need to NOT get the crappy ending (I think). I would imagine the game tops out at 500%, because I'm 91% on the main map and have 90+% for the four paintings. Though, of course, there may be another painting or two in that 9% of the main I haven't seen.

I'm loving the game, per usual. I tend to use Jonathan more, just because he has more weapons. The bosses seem a bit harder, in that you really need to use the right combo of weapons and stuff, and the game flow is better than many Castlevanias. I really wish you could write notes on your map, like to say where unattainable items are, or where you'll need to 2x jump in the future, etc.

My review is here, by the way: http://videogames.yahoo.com/gamereview?cid=1951313565&tab=reviews&page=0&eid=496522

[quote name='ViolentLee']I just found what I need to NOT get the crappy ending (I think).[/QUOTE]

Am I missing something?

I fought the sisters once, killed them and got the first crappy ending. Fought them again after I found the purification spell (at Sandy Grave), and got a second crappy ending. There is that invisible wall in a room right above where Braumer's daughters are, but I can't get in there yet. I am pretty much where you are where I have a 90% average on all of the maps, includng the main one

[quote name='asianxcore']Am I missing something?

I fought the sisters once, killed them and got the first crappy ending. Fought them again after I found the purification spell (at Sandy Grave), and got a second crappy ending. There is that invisible wall in a room right above where Braumer's daughters are, but I can't get in there yet. I am pretty much where you are where I have a 90% average on all of the maps, includng the main one
[/QUOTE]

Did you use said thing that keeps you from crappy ending #1? It takes time to cast, which makes it a beast to pull off. If you did, you'll see there's quite a bit more gameplay ahead of you. My previous guess of 500% is way off.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I'm at 483.5%, 6:32:09 in. I just found what I need to NOT get the crappy ending (I think). I would imagine the game tops out at 500%, because I'm 91% on the main map and have 90+% for the four paintings. Though, of course, there may be another painting or two in that 9% of the main I haven't seen.

I'm loving the game, per usual. I tend to use Jonathan more, just because he has more weapons. The bosses seem a bit harder, in that you really need to use the right combo of weapons and stuff, and the game flow is better than many Castlevanias. I really wish you could write notes on your map, like to say where unattainable items are, or where you'll need to 2x jump in the future, etc.

My review is here, by the way: http://videogames.yahoo.com/gamereview?cid=1951313565&tab=reviews&page=0&eid=496522[/quote]

You're not required to finish the game before you review it?

[quote name='ViolentLee']Did you use said thing that keeps you from crappy ending #1? It takes time to cast, which makes it a beast to pull off. If you did, you'll see there's quite a bit more gameplay ahead of you. My previous guess of 500% is way off.[/QUOTE]

How do I cast it? I got the spell but I can't seem to equip it on either Charlotte or John.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Did you use said thing that keeps you from crappy ending #1? It takes time to cast, which makes it a beast to pull off. If you did, you'll see there's quite a bit more gameplay ahead of you. My previous guess of 500% is way off.[/QUOTE]

Oops. I had the wrong spell equipped the entire time :)

After getting the right one equipped, I was lucky enough to cast it on my 2nd try. Before I go further though, I'm trying to finish up a couple more quests. Maybe level up while doing so.

[quote name='xghostsniperx']You're not required to finish the game before you review it?[/QUOTE]Nope. They were fine with me getting to the "fake" ending, in favor of having it up in a timely manner -- especially since I got the game later than I should have (Tuesday instead of last Friday).

[quote name='asianxcore']Oops. I had the wrong spell equipped the entire time :)

After getting the right one equipped, I was lucky enough to cast it on my 2nd try. Before I go further though, I'm trying to finish up a couple more quests. Maybe level up while doing so.[/QUOTE]Nice. It took me about a dozen tries. I have a lot of quests to do, too -- I only have 2 cards, haven't done the curse one (where can you get cursed nearby before it wears off?), and want to make the poison sword.

I got the Royal Sword, which I'm using now, from beating a quest. It rocks: 59 ATK boost, 3-5 point bump in DEF, STR,CON, and INT. Aside from that, my favorite weapon is Nebula, the heat-seaking whip, even if it doesn't do much damage.

My theory about the Vampire Killer:
I don't think I'll have the sisters activate the Vampire Killer whip, as it sounds like it'll kill Jonathan. I have a feeling (and the ghost hinted) that if you beat the game without using the whip, you'll get a better ending. We'll see if that's even possible.

I just put a lot more hours into this game. My game clock is low cause I keep dying. I get to caught up in killing I forget to check my own health. But I haven't been discouraged from dying like I am in other games. It is just damn fun. I am in Nation of Fools and level 18 or 19. I have the map almost completed. I have the left side to do then I will fight the boss. I can't wait. The one enemy that was only the top torso was super gross but cool at the same time. I also got my first summon. This game freakin' rocks.

[quote name='ViolentLee']
I got the Royal Sword, which I'm using now, from beating a quest. It rocks: 59 ATK boost, 3-5 point bump in DEF, STR,CON, and INT.

My theory about the Vampire Killer:
I don't think I'll have the sisters activate the Vampire Killer whip, as it sounds like it'll kill Jonathan. I have a feeling (and the ghost hinted) that if you beat the game without using the whip, you'll get a better ending. We'll see if that's even possible.
[/QUOTE]

I'm loving the Royal Sword as well. Love the two handed swords with the large attack arc. After using the Claymore for most of the game, it was nice to finally get a "special" weapon.

As for the Vampire Killer, I was thinking that as well, but I gave the green light. We'll see how it turns out :)

Oh yea, played it some more, definitely need a guide to see who drops what and the frequency and all that sort of good shit. Since the days of finding penny guides are 0 I'll use a $10 credit I've got sitting around to get the guide for $6 out of pocket.

The game is definitely awesome, tons better than Dawn of Sorrow (which, imo, wasn't a very strong entry in the series... still good, but not as good as it could have been). The bosses are actually challenging so far too... the game on the whole seems to have stepped up in difficulty.

So I beat Nation of Fools. I loaded up on healing and MP restoring items. If anyone needs money, I found a glitch to get unlimited Quest Items. Talk to Wind, once you move the cursor over your completed quest, press the A button twice, when you hear the item chime, hit start. rinse and repeat as many times as you want. Blessed Rings sell for $12,500. Just a little heads up.

[quote name='Roufuss']Oh yea, played it some more, definitely need a guide to see who drops what and the frequency and all that sort of good shit. Since the days of finding penny guides are 0 I'll use a $10 credit I've got sitting around to get the guide for $6 out of pocket.

The game is definitely awesome, tons better than Dawn of Sorrow (which, imo, wasn't a very strong entry in the series... still good, but not as good as it could have been). The bosses are actually challenging so far too... the game on the whole seems to have stepped up in difficulty.[/QUOTE]

they actually have a guide in the game sorta. They have a list of all monsters faced, and with each monster they show whether it gives one, two, or no items. Also the number of stars is how rare it is to get. So it kinda works.

Sweet.

I have 1 more section before I go on to the "true" last boss/level. I've been playing this game non-stop since I bought it on Wednesday.

I've put about 9 1/2 hours into it so far and my character level is at 41-42. So much fun. I know for sure once I beat it, I'll go back to get a higher map percentage on some of the maps, as well as do more quests (I've done about 50%+ so far)

Good to see everyone is enjoying this game.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']they actually have a guide in the game sorta. They have a list of all monsters faced, and with each monster they show whether it gives one, two, or no items. Also the number of stars is how rare it is to get. So it kinda works.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I know about that, but how can you tell what number of items it gives? I assumed every monster ALWAYS has two drops.

Man, awesome. Just picked up my preorder (GS held it till today for me since I work during the week in another city). The preorder bonus is in PERFECT condition. Can't wait to crack it open.

Anyways, one question: Did your POR game come shrinkwrapped, or with that thicker, folded over on the sides kind of wrapping? I am not digging this new trend that publishers are starting, that even new games are shrinkwrapped. Makes it hard to tell when something is unopened. I mean, one time a guy at EB actually shrinkwrapped a practically new game for me that I was pondering whether to trade in for less than half credit. He told me to go return it to CC as a gift and I complied. But that experience has made me very very hesitant about new, shrink-wrapped games.

So confirmation would be sweet! :)

[quote name='Roufuss']Yea, I know about that, but how can you tell what number of items it gives? I assumed every monster ALWAYS has two drops.[/QUOTE]

when u look at the monster it has a 1 or 2 next to it. If you have gotten an item from the monster it will list it, if you havent gotten the other item there will be ?????, some monsters only have one row of ???? meaning only gives out one item and some have no ????? meaning no items

Another question: Did people who picked up in store pay 39.99 or 34.99? Because I only paid 34.99...and if it had been 39 I probably would have just gotten it PMed at CC for 29.99 since Fry's has it on sale. Curious because a lot of people mentioned picking it up for 39.99...

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']Man, awesome. Just picked up my preorder (GS held it till today for me since I work during the week in another city). The preorder bonus is in PERFECT condition. Can't wait to crack it open.

Anyways, one question: Did your POR game come shrinkwrapped, or with that thicker, folded over on the sides kind of wrapping? I am not digging this new trend that publishers are starting, that even new games are shrinkwrapped. Makes it hard to tell when something is unopened. I mean, one time a guy at EB actually shrinkwrapped a practically new game for me that I was pondering whether to trade in for less than half credit. He told me to go return it to CC as a gift and I complied. But that experience has made me very very hesitant about new, shrink-wrapped games.

So confirmation would be sweet! :)[/QUOTE]

All of Konami's DS games use that weak looking shrinkwrap.

I'm going to get this for Christmas (I'm going to have my Mom buy it next week at Target). To be perfectly honest, I wasn't as excited as I've been for other Castlevania games, mostly because DoS wasn't as appealing to me as the GBA Castlevania games (mostly because the game uses swords, axes, etc. for weapons, instead of the classic whip which made me love Castlevania years ago). Since PoR uses a whip and I've liked what I've seen in videos, I know must really own the game. Christmas can't come soon enough. :(

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'm going to get this for Christmas (I'm going to have my Mom buy it next week at Target). To be perfectly honest, I wasn't as excited as I've been for other Castlevania games, mostly because DoS wasn't as appealing to me as the GBA Castlevania games (mostly because the game uses swords, axes, etc. for weapons, instead of the classic whip which made me love Castlevania years ago). Since PoR uses a whip and I've liked what I've seen in videos, I know must really own the game. Christmas can't come soon enough. :([/QUOTE]

PoR uses a whip but there is also swords, axes, and other weapons... the whip is just now one of those other weapons.

[quote name='Roufuss']PoR uses a whip but there is also swords, axes, and other weapons... the whip is just now one of those other weapons.[/QUOTE]Still, at least I can use my whip. :D

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']when u look at the monster it has a 1 or 2 next to it. If you have gotten an item from the monster it will list it, if you havent gotten the other item there will be ?????, some monsters only have one row of ???? meaning only gives out one item and some have no ????? meaning no items[/QUOTE]

Thanks... I was just thinking the second slot was an item I haven't gotten to drop yet, it was really late when I was playing.

Also if the monster's name is in white, you've gotten everything they dropped, if it's greyed out, you still have some drops to get.

EDIT: Just realized you can "master" alot of your skills if you use them a bunch... the game is fucking PACKED with stuff.

[quote name='asianxcore']Sweet.

I have 1 more section before I go on to the "true" last boss/level. I've been playing this game non-stop since I bought it on Wednesday.

I've put about 9 1/2 hours into it so far and my character level is at 41-42. So much fun. I know for sure once I beat it, I'll go back to get a higher map percentage on some of the maps, as well as do more quests (I've done about 50%+ so far)

Good to see everyone is enjoying this game.[/QUOTE]
I'm at about the same spot. 9:41 in, level 41, about to take on the boss of Dark Academy.
I have:
771% rate
80% enemies
45% items
58% skills
35% quests

This game is fantastic... I think I'd even put it over the GBA Castlevania's right now.

I purposely have avoided reading anything about this game so I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of awesome stuff unlocks when I beat the game.

The backgrounds are amazing.

[quote name='Snake2715']Does anyone know if Double Jump is making a guide for this one? The DOS was a nice little guide by them.[/QUOTE]

No, Brady got the rights to this guide.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I'm at about the same spot. 9:41 in, level 41, about to take on the boss of Dark Academy.
[/QUOTE]

Nice.

I'm at the final boss and I'm stuck.

Probably one of the more annoying boss battles I've played recently. I had to turn off my DS out of sheer frustration.

[quote name='asianxcore']Nice.

I'm at the final boss and I'm stuck.

Probably one of the more annoying boss battles I've played recently. I had to turn off my DS out of sheer frustration.[/QUOTE]

the fingers!!!!!!

I'm very tempted to pick this up. I have some extra cash to spend, and dont feel like waiting till next week for Target to get it on sale. Maybe I will buy it tonight, and then price adjust it next week.

[quote name='mykevermin']
How in the shit do I beat Astarte?

Danke schoen.[/QUOTE]

dont really have a strategy, I just kept at her so she didnt send the kisses at me

Danke schoen.[/quote]

Whenever she blows the kiss at you, switch to Charlotte. The kiss doesn't work on her.

Just beat the game tonight, 878% in 7 hours and 37 minutes. Level 40!

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']the fingers!!!!!![/quote]

What I did was this: Stock up on Tonics and High Tonics. When the fingers first appear, do the unity attack "Meteor". Then keep attacking until you see one of the hands shaking alittle. This means it's going to crush you if you don't stop it. Keep attacking that side and you shall have little problem in getting passed the fingers.

Rinse and Repeat if he does the attack again (hence why I said to stock up on tonics).

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']its all about Nest of Evil, thats some rough stuff[/QUOTE]
Indeed, I just got in there myself. Right now I'm stuck fighting a boss I had a bit of trouble with the 1st time I fought him. But to make things worst there are 2 of them this time around.

Danke schoen.[/QUOTE]
I killed her with about 2 1,000 blades attack. Just jump behind her when she is about to use her charm move.

This game is great, I just beat
Death
. That was fun. I forgot to stock up on healing stuff, but still whooped him at level 29. I am missing a few relics. Anyone know of a good guide? Gamefaqs doesn't have one. Mostly looking for drops and item locations. I have two of the three things for the Poisin V Poisin Quest.

The Blessed Ring glitch is AWESOME.... I just got enough for two Master Ring's and everything else in the shop.

For those who don't know, complete the quest where you have to be cursed and then talk to Wind, hit a once to complete the quest, a again to get the blessed ring, then hit start to go back to the game.

Talk to Wind again, and you can finish the quest AGAIN and keep getting Blessed Rings.

The rings sell for 12,500 in the shop.

As I said I'm in the Demon nest right now... And not only do I need to fight one of the bosses I hated the most in PoR
The Creature
, I have to fight 2 of them at once. And to make matters worst a few fights after that one once again I have to fight the most annoying boss from DoS
Abaddon
. Well at least I'm not fighting 2 of him...

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']As I said I'm in the Demon nest right now... And not only do I need to fight one of the bosses I hated the most in PoR
The Creature
, I have to fight 2 of them at once. And to make matters worst a few fights after that one once again I have to fight the most annoying boss from DoS
Abaddon
. Well at least I'm not fighting 2 of him...[/QUOTE]

you are near the end, it gets pretty crazy, but the final boss aint too bad

I am mostly done

Level 53
Rate 998.20
Enemies 98.06
Items 73.35
Skills 82.71
Quests 83.78
Time 15:42:29

[quote name='seanr1221']Wow...it's good....it's really good.

Also it rang up 29.99 at Target, is that it's msrp?[/quote]

msrp is $34.99

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']you are near the end, it gets pretty crazy, but the final boss aint too bad

I am mostly done

Level 53
Rate 998.20
Enemies 98.06
Items 73.35
Skills 82.71
Quests 83.78
Time 15:42:29[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I justed finished it. I must say I was expecting something harder...

I'm at about 4:30, I just finished my third portrait, I think I'm around level 25. I nabbed the Heaven's Sword from the flyin' Knight dude. Without a doubt my favorite weapon so far. It can do constant damage yet you don't have to be extremely close up.

bread's done
Back