Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

dawn of sorrow is more fun
portrait is less polished, I like portrait but it was definately rushed

NEED HELP!

just passed nation of fools but i have no idea where to go next. any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: more specifically, i can't seem to pass the room that is blocked by a steel wall held by springs. i believe the door in this room leads to the tower of death. even pushing it w/ both character the steel object won't budge. advice anyone?

I need the long sword to pass the 'poison vs poison' quest, but i think i already sold it. I need someone to sell it to me, but I know nothing about the online shop mode. I guess I need to know what my friend code is...how do I figure that out?

If you have Wi-Fi, you can sign into the online shop and choose to get paired with a random partner. The likelihood is fairly decent that the person you're paired with will be selling the Long Sword, I guess because most everyone who plays this game makes the mistake of selling it. I got one on my first try of signing in, and every time I open my shop someone buys one.

I beat the boss of nation of fools and have to say:

Goddammit... I can understand recycling enemies but not bosses (other than Dracula). Without leaving any spoilers why the hell did they need to cut and paste a boss from another recent castlevania game?

I'm having a great time with the gime - it's great and this is my only gripe so far - but damn that was cheap. Plus this boss really wasn't "right" for this level - he / she / it didn't match the funhouse circus theme.

[quote name='wageslave']I beat the boss of nation of fools and have to say:

Goddammit... I can understand recycling enemies but not bosses (other than Dracula). Without leaving any spoilers why the hell did they need to cut and paste a boss from another recent castlevania game?

I'm having a great time with the gime - it's great and this is my only gripe so far - but damn that was cheap. Plus this boss really wasn't "right" for this level - he / she / it didn't match the funhouse circus theme.[/QUOTE]

Nation of fools was a destroyed city. It reminded me of a nuked out warzone so the fact that theres a pile of thousands of corpses in the center made a bit of sense. And Legion is always awesome. Hes been in other CV's too but not as cool as it was in SOTN so I liked it.

Frankenstein is a badass in this version too.

I've already been through the first four portraits. Can I get a hint about what I need to beat the sisters without the cruddy ending? I've been stuck on this for a while now, and I really want to get on with the game.

just finished the game...one of the best purchases in 2006 IMO

Q: if i restart the game from the clear section of my save file, will it go away like the suspend save? will i be able to pick different characters?

thanks

anyone know why i keep getting the crappy ending when you fight the 2 sisters and the so called father comes in and says dont kill them i will leave. the castle cumbles and the game ends ??

Im glad i didnt buy this game 7 hours is very short for a 30 hour game *unless you want to find extras BLEH

How do you find 3 nun items to get a healing spell

[quote name='slidecage']anyone know why i keep getting the crappy ending when you fight the 2 sisters and the so called father comes in and says dont kill them i will leave. the castle cumbles and the game ends ??

Im glad i didnt buy this game 7 hours is very short for a 30 hour game *unless you want to find extras BLEH

How do you find 3 nun items to get a healing spell[/QUOTE]

You've still got a ways to go.

You need to get the Sanctuary Spell for Charlotte. It is in the first Egyptian painting, I think at the bottom right. You need the Frog Morph spell to get it.

[quote name='slidecage']anyone know why i keep getting the crappy ending when you fight the 2 sisters and the so called father comes in and says dont kill them i will leave. the castle cumbles and the game ends ??

How do you find 3 nun items to get a healing spell[/quote]

TO GET THE "GOOD ENDING":

Use Charlotte's Sanctuary spell to kill the two sisters. It only takes one cast to kill them, but it's rather tough to pull it off because of the long cast time. Your best bet is to equip the taunt skill on the guy, and Sanctuary on the girl. Then, use the R button to summon her and have her casting the spell, while you control the guy and spam the Taunt skill. They'll focus on you while she casts.

Slidecage, check gamefaqs for a guide on all the quests. Where to find the 3 nun items is included in that guide. And the healing spell sucks anyway.

[quote name='Strell']You've still got a ways to go.

You need to get the Sanctuary Spell for Charlotte. It is in the first Egyptian painting, I think at the bottom right. You need the Frog Morph spell to get it.
[/QUOTE]

what is the name of the painting again so i dont got to keep running around : )

thanks. I was thinking man this was a short game.

about how far am i into the game. dont know to try to get a better ending or just be happy i got the crappy ending and return it to gamefly for a new game LOL

[quote name='slidecage']what is the name of the painting again so i dont got to keep running around : )

thanks. I was thinking man this was a short game.

about how far am i into the game. dont know to try to get a better ending or just be happy i got the crappy ending and return it to gamefly for a new game LOL[/QUOTE]

Should be the Sandy Grave Portrait in the bottom right of the castle.

3 questions (since I'm past the what the FAQS cover at the moment)
1. What's the best way to beat death?
2. Can someone meet up with me on wifi so I can get the long sword and thick glasses from them? I'm selling a long sword and some cards if you need them.
3. What's the best was to do the spinning art? I can never do it right. It must of been pure luck the first time I pulled it off.

[quote name='akilshohen']
3. What's the best was to do the spinning art? I can never do it right. It must of been pure luck the first time I pulled it off.[/QUOTE]

Heh, someone actually uses this?

I once did the "Talk" command with Charlotte, and she said something to the effect of "holding the last direction when doing special skills seems to be the way to go."

In other words, hold down left/right at the end of the movement. That might make it a bit easier.

The spinning thing makes you pass through enemies, which might be useful if the button combination didn't cause you to run into the enemy 9 times out of 10.

[quote name='akilshohen']3 questions (since I'm past the what the FAQS cover at the moment)
1. What's the best way to beat death?
2. Can someone meet up with me on wifi so I can get the long sword and thick glasses from them? I'm selling a long sword and some cards if you need them.
3. What's the best was to do the spinning art? I can never do it right. It must of been pure luck the first time I pulled it off.[/QUOTE]

how many times do you fight death. I just fought them little bit ago and i just used the volcano spell and was lucky to beat him.

I came in with 9 poition, 9 hi potions. and 9 of each of thoses things that restore MP. i was lucky to beat him

When you guys fought the sisters, did Stella, the sword-wielder, ever keep pausing, about to attack? I think this was happening when Loretta used the blizzard spell. I kept running past Stella and noticed she just turned around and started charging again, so I had Charlotte use sanctuaray while all Jonathan did was walk back and forth. Weird.

[quote name='the ender']TO GET THE "GOOD ENDING":

Use Charlotte's Sanctuary spell to kill the two sisters. It only takes one cast to kill them, but it's rather tough to pull it off because of the long cast time. Your best bet is to equip the taunt skill on the guy, and Sanctuary on the girl. Then, use the R button to summon her and have her casting the spell, while you control the guy and spam the Taunt skill. They'll focus on you while she casts.

Slidecage, check gamefaqs for a guide on all the quests. Where to find the 3 nun items is included in that guide. And the healing spell sucks anyway.[/QUOTE]

i must really be overlooking something cause i cant find the stupid spell. I probally return the game to gamefly come tomorrow and hope to get another game by saturday (if it gets fast returned)

[quote name='slidecage']i must really be overlooking something cause i cant find the stupid spell. I probally return the game to gamefly come tomorrow and hope to get another game by saturday (if it gets fast returned)[/QUOTE]
the egpty level, in the room w/ the rolling stone. you nhave to turn into a toad to get it

Any tips for the final boss? I need some help

Also, I have some advice for anyone having trouble getting the power of the Vamire Killer.

You need the Nebula. All I did was jump back and swung in the air. The homing features of the whip really help. I beat him without using any health spells, it was great. :)

sorry, another call for help. seems like there isn't anyone else w/ my problem, so i don't know if i'm just being stupid or my copy is messed up.

i can't seem to pass the room that is blocked by a steel wall held by springs. the room leads to the tower of death and with pushing it w/ both character the steel object won't budge. advice anyone?

[quote name='bboynujen']
i can't seem to pass the room that is blocked by a steel wall held by springs. the room leads to the tower of death and with pushing it w/ both character the steel object won't budge. advice anyone?[/QUOTE]
One of the paintings has a relic that gives you more power for pushing. I believe it's the deserted city painting.

[quote name='62t']the egpty level, in the room w/ the rolling stone. you nhave to turn into a toad to get it[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I never thought about going under there :)

so are these 5 paintings the end. Once you beat the final 5 paintings is over ?

not sure if i want to keep it though . If i get it in the mail tomorrow and it gets fast returned i have a chance to get a game ON saturday. If not i will have to wait till around DEC 28 to get one

(Then again im thinking about falling back to one at a time for JAN since there is nothing i really want to play on the ds so maybe i keep the game till get to the end)

i got around 4 hours i can play tonight to see where i go right now im at 8 hours in and down to those 5 paintings

[quote name='akilshohen']One of the paintings has a relic that gives you more power for pushing. I believe it's the deserted city painting.[/QUOTE]

thanks, i must have missed it somehow. i'll pay that stage another visit.

[quote name='slidecage']

so are these 5 paintings the end. Once you beat the final 5 paintings is over ?

[/QUOTE]
after that it is the final boss. There are extra modes and new game + to play around

[quote name='62t']after that it is the final boss. There are extra modes and new game + to play around[/QUOTE]

thanks for all the help. I just beat frankenstein and decided that i would send it back today since its just mostly running around trying to get level up high enough. Hopefully the game gets fast return and i get a new game by saturday

[quote name='seanr1221']Go back one page and look at my second to last post ;)[/QUOTE]
what level were you at when you did that? I'm at level 30.

[quote name='62t']holy mail + master Shuriken[/QUOTE]

Hell who needs holy mail. Master Shuriken gives the added range and damage to where I was able to beat him without even getting hit.

Shurikens were the first subweapon I mastered. Very fast and up to four hits. I used the dark-elemental whip against Richter (or is it Richiter?). He usually pauses before doing some things like whipping, so keep an eye out for that stuff.

Anyway, I beat the game and all, but I was wondering what the best way to beat the last boss' attack where the claws come at you from both sides? Thank goodness for high potions.

[quote name='danny-o']Frankenstein is a badass in this version too.[/QUOTE]
Especially when you have to fight two of them!

[quote name='akilshohen']any tips on richter? he deals mega damage[/QUOTE]
Use a long weapon. Double-jump in front of him to get him to leap, hit him, then duck his landed whip strike. Make sure you have the infinite L-button jump (in one of the final portraits), so you can dodge things like his holy water or boomerang cross (which you can also duck, and get a few hits in). I like to equip the sub-weapon that makes Jonathan disappear and warp forward a bit -- can't think of the name right now -- hitting anything in his path. I'll do that if I fear he's going to nail me when I'm close, and that usually works well.

I suggest beating all portraits first, to get a good level and the best equipment.

[quote name='Squee']

Anyway, I beat the game and all, but I was wondering what the best way to beat the last boss' attack where the claws come at you from both sides? Thank goodness for high potions.[/QUOTE]
call out your partner and attack the other side

[quote name='Squee']Anyway, I beat the game and all, but I was wondering what the best way to beat the last boss' attack where the claws come at you from both sides? Thank goodness for high potions.[/QUOTE]
I use Meteor dual spell right away, then switch off attacking both sides. I use Charlotte's acidic bubbles attack just to back me up, too. Pretty foolproof.

I need help on the quest.

Supersonic Punch - where is the butcher in the town ?
Ghosts of the Desert - I can't find this place
The Statue's Tear - no clue what to do

Also I finish off 4 Paintings and I have no idea what to do next.
Beat the first painting on the left , second one the very far right , 3rd one middle top and last is top right.

Alright, I'm seriously stuck in the Nest of Evil. I'm almost to the bottom; I can easily beat the two Frankensteins, but then in the next room, I CAN'T BEAT THE DAMN ELECTRIC MERMEN THINGS. I've tried lots of things, lots of different co-op attacks, and I can jump around and maybe survive for 5-10 seconds, but as soon as one of them grabs me, I'm as good as dead. How in the HELL do I beat these things?

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Alright, I'm seriously stuck in the Nest of Evil. I'm almost to the bottom; I can easily beat the two Frankensteins, but then in the next room, I CAN'T BEAT THE DAMN ELECTRIC MERMEN THINGS. I've tried lots of things, lots of different co-op attacks, and I can jump around and maybe survive for 5-10 seconds, but as soon as one of them grabs me, I'm as good as dead. How in the HELL do I beat these things?[/QUOTE]
1000 blade works very well

[quote name='SilverPaw750']Alright, I'm seriously stuck in the Nest of Evil. I'm almost to the bottom; I can easily beat the two Frankensteins, but then in the next room, I CAN'T BEAT THE DAMN ELECTRIC MERMEN THINGS. I've tried lots of things, lots of different co-op attacks, and I can jump around and maybe survive for 5-10 seconds, but as soon as one of them grabs me, I'm as good as dead. How in the HELL do I beat these things?[/QUOTE]
Have Charlotte equip the explosion spell. Use it (with R) when they just get onscreen. You might be able to pop them twice before they get near you, requiring only one hit from a longer, stronger melee weapon of Jonathan's to put 'em down. You obviously want to kill them ASAP, and not let them get close with that suicidal crap that does like 240 damage.

Anyone have a set of "thick glasses" that they want to part with? I wish there was a way to just hop from shop to shop on WFC without having to disconnect and reconenct everytime

I need Thick Glasses, a Long Sword, and all of the cards except the heart. If anyone can meet me online and sell them to me, please PM me. THANKS!

FWIW, I received a newsletter email from Konami and they posted secret codes for PoR:

Japanese Voice-overs
In Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin for the Nintendo DS™, you can play the game with the original Japanese Voice-Acting for Jonathan and Charlotte by holding down the L button and pressing A to select "Game Start" on the Title Menu. You will know that the code was accepted if you hear Jonathan yell out when you select.

True Ending(s)
Did you defeat Stella and Loretta and think that you've seen all there is to be seen in Portrait of Ruin? You'd be mistaken as the True Ending(s) can only be attained if you've found the "Sanctuary" Magic. We aren't going to spoil everything for you, but we will give you the hint that this magic is the key to attaining the true ending and unlocking special rewards in the game. Make sure you search carefully in and around the "Sandy Grave" area.

I just opened my copy of Castlevania and turned it on. Right after the DS warning screen, the game started saving something. Is this normal? Does everyone's copy do this?

It was saving your soul from the evil clutches of Dracula and... the devil!

But seriously I don't think it's anything to worry about.

[quote name='eau']FWIW, I received a newsletter email from Konami and they posted secret codes for PoR:

Japanese Voice-overs
In Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin for the Nintendo DS™, you can play the game with the original Japanese Voice-Acting for Jonathan and Charlotte by holding down the L button and pressing A to select "Game Start" on the Title Menu. You will know that the code was accepted if you hear Jonathan yell out when you select.

True Ending(s)
Did you defeat Stella and Loretta and think that you've seen all there is to be seen in Portrait of Ruin? You'd be mistaken as the True Ending(s) can only be attained if you've found the "Sanctuary" Magic. We aren't going to spoil everything for you, but we will give you the hint that this magic is the key to attaining the true ending and unlocking special rewards in the game. Make sure you search carefully in and around the "Sandy Grave" area.[/QUOTE]

Japanese voice overs = cool.

bread's done
Back