Changes to Best Buy GCU

I don't want to freak everyone out but there is a major change that they seem to have not mentioned to the public:

GCU will no longer work on Black Friday deals. :whistle2:(
That definitely was not there this morning. They must have updated the terms again today. I went to the link as soon as I got the email and there was nothing about Black Friday no longer working. That really sucks.

I don't want to freak everyone out but there is a major change that they seem to have not mentioned to the public:

GCU will no longer work on Black Friday deals. :whistle2:(
I wonder, what about the "after-Black Friday / Holiday" deals like B2G1 on PS4 / Xbox One and BOGO 40% / 50% on Nintendo titles, or Deals of the Day like these? IMO, they usually work out better than the Black Friday price cuts.

That is absolutely stupid as hell, we should all start calling to complain about that, just bombard their CS until they revert.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally the Black Friday thing doesn't bother me as those prices usually get repeated after BF, that said I think I must be due to renew soon so if they change anything else I may think twice.

Can't imagine Cyber Monday is included. Is that what they mean by, "Expanded digital ad"?
It refers to their weekly ads that is the term used by blue shirts when they talk about their online ad. They need to clarify if they are just speaking about Thanksgiving time or if applies to every weekly advertised sale since they no longer have a physical weekly ad.

It refers to their weekly ads that is the term used by blue shirts when they talk about their online ad. They need to clarify if they are just speaking about Thanksgiving time or if applies to every weekly advertised sale since they no longer have a physical weekly ad.
You can bet your ass they keep putting out a physical ad for Black Friday. I read it as they mean the phyical and digital ad for Black Friday, not the normal weekly digital ads.

I didn't mean to imply that they wouldn't have an ad for Thanksgiving I'm just stating that you can infer that this is a bigger change and not something to just glance over. If it affects all weekly sales going forward that would be a huge step in the wrong direction that's all I am trying to say. 

Looks like Amazon will now be getting my BF / CM deals on gaming, since they'll just copy BB's BF ad anyway and I'd rather use Amazon credit on it, if there's not an incentive to get 20% off the BF pricing.  Last BF, I picked up a number of games since they were 20% off BF prices.  

I usually have my Elite + taken care of in advance of BF anyway, so that won't be an incentive to me. 

it doesnt effect weekly sales only black friday one day out of 365; in another thread it was also mentioned walmart had better BF deals last year even with GCU at BB. so really not losing out on much. 

BB just sent out a new email with revised terms, indicating that the last time the message was sent out, the terms hadn't changed.  

There is one big nerf to the changes:  GCU is no longer valid on Black Friday advertised prices.    

Darkprime, on 06 Jun 2016 - 4:23 PM, said:
BB just sent out a new email with revised terms, indicating that the last time the message was sent out, the terms hadn't changed.

There is one big nerf to the changes: GCU is no longer valid on Black Friday advertised prices.
That shouldn't effect current membership because of legal reason. That's like paying a month for Netflix and they midway change it from unlimited to limited 5GB streaming for that month. All new GCU activation won't work on BF deals but current membership should.

There is one big nerf to the changes: GCU is no longer valid on Black Friday advertised prices.
I just got that email, but the Black Friday limit was there soon after the initial email. Perhaps the first email went out, there was no BF limit, they quickly fixed it, but did not send another email you...Which they just did. Other then that I am at a loss as to what the correction is.

That shouldn't effect current membership because of legal reason. That's like paying a month for Netflix and they midway change it from unlimited to limited 5GB streaming for that month. All new GCU activation won't work on BF deals but current membership should.
I wish that were true but sadly it isn't. The terms say they can change them whenever they want. This change goes into effect immediately and for all members, new or existing.

I just got another email from best buy stating "correction to the terms and conditions changes." I don't see the Black Friday exclusion anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Not a deal, just some news that everyone in here would deem important. GCU no longer applies during Thanksgiving / Black Friday sale, per Best Buy's gcu new terms and condition. I don't get why or see how they can change this for members that are current, before their subscription expires. It should apply for new members and after you renew, but it sucks that they can do that, or chose to..

Check your email

"excludes pre-owned video game software and digital gaming). Benefit does not combine with promotions advertised in Best Buy's Thanksgiving Day physical ad or expanded digital ad. Limit 3 copies of each title per platform per year per member. Valid on in-stock items only. No rainchecks. No dealers."

I just got another email from best buy stating "correction to the terms and conditions changes." I don't see the Black Friday exclusion anymore.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
It's there. It never said black Friday it says Thanksgiving

I haven't read the new email that came through this afternoon, so wonder what did change or if they resent the same email (I could read it but... for comparison purposes I am not wasting my time).

popcorn_2.gif

I was looking at upgrading my other BB account to GCU. It has the same address and name but the phone and email are different.  Is there anything else i would need to change that it wouldn't link to my main account?

Not a deal, just some news that everyone in here would deem important. GCU no longer applies during Thanksgiving / Black Friday sale, per Best Buy's gcu new terms and condition. I don't get why or see how they can change this for members that are current, before their subscription expires. It should apply for new members and after you renew, but it sucks that they can do that, or chose to..
Check your email
"excludes pre-owned video game software and digital gaming). Benefit does not combine with promotions advertised in Best Buy's Thanksgiving Day physical ad or expanded digital ad. Limit 3 copies of each title per platform per year per member. Valid on in-stock items only. No rainchecks. No dealers."
ce92f9729a6daa3970ed36b347c7d22107f4e746596277a529a88d3e344c26d9.jpg

bread's done
Back