Changes to Best Buy GCU

giphy.gif

I wonder if they will do anything for the people who were enrolled before this change. I had just reenrolled at the beginning of may. Thanksgiving week I usually go crazy at best buy

Looks like they also made it so that you can renew/enroll online without in store activation.

• BestBuy.com: Purchase membership on BestBuy.com at the then-current 2-year purchase price plus sales tax. You must be logged into your My Best Buy account in order to purchase membership online. Benefits can take up to 24 hours to begin after successful enrollment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why people are being a**es about this. This is actually the first I have heard of this change...

...And it sucks.

Not sure why people are being a**es about this. This is actually the first I have heard of this change...

...And it sucks.
Check your email as they sent out 2 emails regarding the changes.

I wish people actually post deals instead of cluttering up the deals section with tears.

I did get an email earlier today with the subject Correction: Gamers Club Unlocked terms and conditions are now updated

I wonder if they changed anything else?

Damn I hope they send out another email so we get to do this again.

Next time we'll all see each other will likely be in November when someone else tries to buy a game and the discount doesn't apply.

I don't get why or see how they can change this for members that are current, before their subscription expires. It should apply for new members and after you renew, but it sucks that they can do that, or chose to..
I mean, if you read the ToS when you signed up, you'd know why they can change the terms for current members. Get this - they could cancel the GCU tomorrow, and theres nothing anyone can do about it, even the nutcases that have subscriptions through the next decade.

I mean, if you read the ToS when you signed up, you'd know why they can change the terms for current members. Get this - they could cancel the GCU tomorrow, and theres nothing anyone can do about it, even the nutcases that have subscriptions through the next decade.
They can get a refund for the time paid for.

I did get an email earlier today with the subject Correction: Gamers Club Unlocked terms and conditions are now updated

I wonder if they changed anything else?
Yeah there was confusion in the past threads on the subject.. People arguing on when it actually took effect, looks like BB received a few complaints/questions on it.

Yeah not sure why everyone's acting like this is old news.  They updated the terms a couple weeks ago and didn't change anything of note.  Now today they updated the terms again, this time actually changing something that definitely does matter in not applying to Black Friday sales or an extended digital ad.  That's not old news, and is worth mentioning especially as big of a topic as GCU is around here.    

Yeah not sure why everyone's acting like this is old news. They updated the terms a couple weeks ago and didn't change anything of note. Now today they updated the terms again, this time actually changing something that definitely does matter in not applying to Black Friday sales or an extended digital ad. That's not old news, and is worth mentioning especially as big of a topic as GCU is around here.
That actually is old news. It was in the last email they sent out.

Yeah not sure why everyone's acting like this is old news. They updated the terms a couple weeks ago and didn't change anything of note. Now today they updated the terms again, this time actually changing something that definitely does matter in not applying to Black Friday sales or an extended digital ad. That's not old news, and is worth mentioning especially as big of a topic as GCU is around here.
Not old huh?
https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/356583-changes-to-best-buy-gcu/#entry13350723

They can get a refund for the time paid for.
Nope.

Gamers Club Unlocked program may be modified or terminated by Best Buy at any time.

Gamers Club Unlocked membership is nonreturnable and nonrefundable.
A couple of nice little items for people that are justifying this "because they can". They can also cancel the whole damn thing and keep your money. Things like that are the reason why people are wary when modifications are made to paid memberships, and why just because they gave themselves a legal out doesn't make it right.

People were complaining about this clogging up other thread, now they are complaining it is in a separate thread. GCU is a "deal" and a change in the deal affects people looking for deals. Saving money is also about when deals are altered for the worse.

So does this just mean that any black friday related sale games will not get the GCU discount, or does it mean that all (not on sale) game purchases during this time will not get the discount?

I usually buy my Skylanders the Monday before Black friday since I am Elite Plus.

I wonder if they'll screw up and still give the discount for users like me.

Gaming deals on Black Friday are never as good as the rest of the year anyway. People act like the deals on Black Friday are
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
better than they actually are.

Gaming deals on Black Friday are never as good as the rest of the year anyway. People act like the deals on Black Friday are
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
better than they actually are.
and tasing each other for a $100 laptop that cant do shit

I just read the latest terms of service.  It also states that GCU can no longer be used on overcast Fridays either.  If you live in a rainy area like me, that's a pretty big bummer.  

Check your email as they sent out 2 emails regarding the changes.

I wish people actually post deals instead of cluttering up the deals section with tears.
Except this wasn't in the changes the last time they sent out the e-mail. I read them. Maybe people got e-mails at different times and some saw the updated info. This was news to me this afternoon.

Except this wasn't in the changes the last time they sent out the e-mail. I read them. Maybe different people got e-mails at different times and some saw the updated info. This was news to me this afternoon.
I'm going to say it's more likely you read wrong over best buy sending you a different version of an email all their GCU customers received.

bread's done
Back