Changes to Best Buy GCU

I'm going to say it's more likely you read wrong over best buy sending you a different version of an email all their GCU customers received.
Nope. I actually read the terms and conditions, unlike you and all the other jackholes in this thread. They weren't updated at the time.

Except this wasn't in the changes the last time they sent out the e-mail. I read them. Maybe different people got e-mails at different times and some saw the updated info. This was news to me this afternoon.
Yeah, I was about to ask when they mentioned this before... I've never seen/heard of this before until now. I thought I was crazy for a second.

Nope. I actually read the terms and conditions, unlike you and all the other jackholes in this thread. They weren't updated at the time.
So all the other threads that were talking about it and had the terms and conditions pasted into several posts in the discussion... They were all just making it up or what? They somehow predicted that it would happen a week later and wrote it out exactly as best buy would?

Damn that's some psychic ass shit right there.

tumblr_o3blm7AJVO1u3v3zho1_250.gif

So all the other threads that were talking about it and had the terms and conditions pasted into several posts in the discussion... They were all just making it up or what? They somehow predicted that it would happen a week later and wrote it out exactly as best buy would?

I see that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is as easy as not provoking people who serve no important role in your life. Free yourself, log out... no one is stopping you.

No, when they first sent the first email out last week, it wasn't there - he is not wrong. I got it and read it right away, read through the whole thing. Apparently they sent out the email before the page was updated - likely the reason they re-sent the email yesterday.

Most of the times when terms are updated (like with credit card agreements), they will have a "Summary of Changes", but this did not - credit cards have much stiffer guidelines, and they also require an "out clause" where you can cancel the card if you disagree and simply pay your balance on the old terms. Memberships like this do not have those legal requirements. They obviously hoped this one would sail under the radar and got called out on it.

No, when they first sent the first email out last week, it wasn't there - he is not wrong. I got it and read it right away, read through the whole thing. Apparently they sent out the email before the page was updated - likely the reason they re-sent the email yesterday.

Most of the times when terms are updated (like with credit card agreements), they will have a "Summary of Changes", but this did not - credit cards have much stiffer guidelines, and they also require an "out clause" where you can cancel the card if you disagree and simply pay your balance on the old terms. Memberships like this do not have those legal requirements. They obviously hoped this one would sail under the radar and got called out on it.
Did everyone get the same email, I wonder?

There's a lot of people saying this is old news but there also some of us who are saying this wasn't in the previous email... it sure wasn't in mine.

My membership expired last month. So I ordered a membership card online & have to activate in-store. Do I need to fill out anything or is it as simple as walking in & having the Barcode scan?

Did everyone get the same email, I wonder?

There's a lot of people saying this is old news but there also some of us who are saying this wasn't in the previous email... it sure wasn't in mine.
The emails I received just gave a link to a website where the terms are located. Some emails were sent out before the terms page actually updated.

I'm not sure if this has been debated and discussed; I know that everyone is aware that the 20% GCU discounted is limited to three per title per year (it's been debated it if is per platform or title (include SE/CE/LE).

However you could always buy more at the risk of getting blacklisted. Not sure if that has happened to anyone.

I don't keep a spreadsheet but I thought I was at or around three for FEF: Birthright and Conquest as I got a SE, a copy of each for myself and a copy of conquest for a friend.

I gave my original 3DS to my younger brother and went into BB to get him his own copy of conquest. I declined the $19.99 DLC add-on for birthright that was offered at the register and even after scanning my Best Buy Elite Plus membership ID the 20% discount did NOT apply.

I didn't argue, left with the game and went home.

My receipt clearly shows my best buy ID number but no discount. When I log into my bestbuy.com account it shows that i'm still GCU until 02/2018 and it's taken discounts off each game I add to my cart, including FEF Conquest. I did not check out.

I was wondering if maybe the "limit 3" is now or soon going to be hardcoded in the the point of sale systems? I have nothing to compare this too since I almost never run into this issue.

But as I mentioned as of now the website is still showing my GCU membership as active, I can still place orders (haven't tried a trade-in in a few months) and still have all my reward zone certificates in tact.

Edit: I did buy Doom a week or two ago in-store and GCU applied to that.

I'm not sure if this has been debated and discussed; I know that everyone is aware that the 20% GCU discounted is limited to three per title per year (it's been debated it if is per platform or title (include SE/CE/LE).

However you could always buy more at the risk of getting blacklisted. Not sure if that has happened to anyone.

I don't keep a spreadsheet but I thought I was at or around three for FEF: Birthright and Conquest as I got a SE, a copy of each for myself and a copy of conquest for a friend.

I gave my original 3DS to my younger brother and went into BB to get him his own copy of conquest. I declined the $19.99 DLC add-on for birthright that was offered at the register and even after scanning my Best Buy Elite Plus membership ID the 20% discount did NOT apply.

I didn't argue, left with the game and went home.
My receipt clearly shows my best buy ID number but no discount. When I log into my bestbuy.com account it shows that i'm still GCU until 02/2018 and it's taken discounts off each game I add to my cart, including FEF Conquest. I did not check out.

I was wondering if maybe the "limit 3" is now or soon going to be hardcoded in the the point of sale systems? I have nothing to compare this too since I almost never run into this issue.

But as I mentioned as of now the website is still showing my GCU membership as active, I can still place orders (haven't tried a trade-in in a few months) and still have all my reward zone certificates in tact.

Edit: I did buy Doom a week or two ago in-store and GCU applied to that.
Could be wrong, but I didn't think gcu worked on digital items.

bread's done
Back