Cheap Ass Cooking

[quote name='Koggit']I have a pound of good red beans and a pound of good white beans.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crystalklear64']Red beans and rice always good. Add some kielbasa and rice with your beans.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Koggit']You cook the rice with the beans?[/QUOTE]

As in, you should acquire some sausage and rice to add to your previous collection of foodstuffs.

P1010256.jpg

I was gonna do blueberries (red white and blue) but my roommate evidently ate 'em all last night. Still pretty tasty. The Hostess shortcake bread is really way too sweet, though.

It's not really cooking, but I decided to take a pic and post it here in hopes of reviving this thread.

[quote name='Koggit']
P1010256.jpg

I was gonna do blueberries (red white and blue) but my roommate evidently ate 'em all last night. Still pretty tasty. The Hostess shortcake bread is really way too sweet, though.

It's not really cooking, but I decided to take a pic and post it here in hopes of reviving this thread.[/quote]
:drool:

i made mac and cheese for dinner.

instead of just straight out of the box i mixed some fresh cheddar cheese, threw the mac in a oven dish, topped with some bread crumbs, let the crumbs browns and done. 2 extra steps but made mac and cheese delish.

Koggits dish == :drool::drool::drool:

That red glaze crap (the premade garbage) is nasty. Had it once and it put me in the hospital. Not surprizing considering the dye and the chemicals. blarf.

I was getting kinda hungry so I rummaged around in the kitchen and just made a pretty easy filling meal tonight and some for tomorrow.

1cup rice
2cups water
2 chicken breasts
handful of sugar snap pees
soy sauce,heinz 57, steak seasoning for flavour

I'd cut up the two chicken breasts and let them marinate in some bit of soy sauce, a bit of heinz 57 for tang and light covering of steak seasoning for about 3 hours. Then I cooked up the rice (high till boiling then low) till most of the water was gone and then I heated up a skillet, throwing in the handful of suger snap peas and my chicken and marinate. After about 5 minutes I threw the rice in as well and cooked it all together like a stirfry.

[quote name='zewone']Tonight I made the dish I saw on The F Word:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSsx8m4PG_U

fucking delicious and it only took about 20 minutes. I made steak fries instead of the potatoes and salad Ramsay had though.

[/quote]

oh dude, that's pretty much what I plan on making my gf in a few weeks. fucking incredible and easy to make from what I saw in the video.

Here is a question for all you cooks out there. Do you prefer a gas stove or electric? I prefer a gas stove vs my gf's electric. It's something about seeing the fire and the levels of heat intensity vs a coil that gets red.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really easy, and the presentation and taste are so good that it looks like it's complicated when it's not at all.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Hey Crystal you didn't give us a follow up of that meal you had the other day(the one you posted a picture of).[/QUOTE]
Hmm? If you're talking about the cottage cheese noodles thing, I haven't tried to make it again yet.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Hmm? If you're talking about the cottage cheese noodles thing, I haven't tried to make it again yet.[/quote]

but in that post you were sitting down and about to eat it and was going to give us a follow up to the end result. so what happened? was it good or what?

[quote name='crystalklear64']About to try that onion/cottage cheese pasta thing. Results to be added after I eat it :)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crystalklear64']Well here we have it:
milkjiczu9.jpg

I'm going to go ahead and guess that I didn't make this "correctly."

I took about a quarter onion and sliced it up into fairly large chunks, mainly because I love onions and am one of those people who can eat walawala sweets like apples.

Mistake there. Finely chopped onions would work much better for this imo.

When it came time to heat the cottage cheese, it kinda boils most of the liquid surrounding the cheese away and leaves kinda.. clumpy crumbley chunks of cheese behind. I'm guessing I had too much heat still going when I put the cottage cheese in.

As for the taste itself, most of it was rather bland, I had to throw some salt on it. However, an occasional bite would surprise me with a bit of flavor, and when I got to the bottom of the bowl where the liquids had gathered, there was some good flavor to be found.

If I used the right amount of cottage cheese and noodles, I could see where it would taste just like prepackaged mac and cheese, and the onions were a nice touch. So for future reference for myself, onions sound like a good thing to add to mac and cheese.

If I try to make this again, I'll add more cottage cheese, cut the onions finer, and let the pot sit awhile longer before adding the cheese while the onions are simmering.

Overall it was good enough, I was able to finish it, and didn't have to resort to my large glass of emergency strawberry milk :)[/QUOTE]

I did post the follow up o_O.

Ok so.. looks like this thread has been dead for awhile, but lets have a revival!

I recently made coconut pork medallions.

coconutmedalzrs4.jpg

But let me tell you, working with coconut is the biggest pain in the ass.

Basically heres how this goes.

Its a pork loin cut into medallions obviously.

You mix tumeric, garlic, ginger, onions, and red pepper flakes into a blender to make a paste.

I chose to buy a whole coconut, hooboy is that the wrong way to do this. After I thought I had drained all the milk, I took the thing out to the garage to smash it open with a hammer, and of course, I get the milk everywhere. So after I clean that up, I take it into the kitchen to try to pry the meat off the shell. Lol. That didn't work, to I ended up just cutting chunks out with a knife. I then threw the meat I could get into a blender to chop it up the easy way.

You pour some evaporated milk into a pan, mix it with the paste, add some lemongrass and a bay leaf, and of course the fucking coconut.

You cook all that stuff for about 10 mins on medium heat and stir it to get rid of the filmy stuff.

While thats cooking, you sear both sides of the medallions.

After 10 mins, add the pork to the mixture and cover it for 10 mins, flipping the medallions @ 5 min mark.

Then, I added a squeeze or 2 of lemon juice, and a helping of salt for flavor, let it sit for 5 mins with the heat off and it was done.

Since I was just making this for myself, I was lazy and didn't really make anything to go with it. So, you can see that loaf of bread in the picture, that's to sop up the sauce, which is damn good.

bread's done
Back