Cheap Ass Cooking

[quote name='JimmieMac']

Seared pork chops with rattatouille and couscous.

Done.[/quote]

That looks awesome. Thanks for taking the time to document that. Sounds healthy too. A plus.

Gourmet Cream of Broccoli Soup
Easy/Cheap/Healthy/DELICIOUS!

no need to measure anything here, either.

little butter
1 potato (thinly sliced)
1 onion (thinly sliced)
2-3 c FRESH broccoli (chopped)
1 can chicken broth
heavy cream or half & half
garlic clove

melt the butter in a pot and throw the potato, onion, broccoli, garlic in there. cover/simmer over low heat until everything is soft - but not brown. pour the can of broth over everything and bring to a boil and cook until the veggies are nice and soft. pour the mixture into a blender (or use a hand mixer) for 10-15 seconds or so, depending on if you like chunky or smooth soup. return the soup to the pot.

last step. pour a little bit of cream into the soup.. around 1/4 to 1/2 cup. the soup will change color and become very rich. it doesn't take a lot of cream, so don't overdo it.

serve this with a nice crusty french bread and you're all set. makes two big servings. now you're GF/wife can't say you never cook for her.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']Gourmet Cream of Broccoli Soup
Easy/Cheap/Healthy/DELICIOUS!

no need to measure anything here, either.

little butter
1 potato (thinly sliced)
1 onion (thinly sliced)
2-3 c FRESH broccoli (chopped)
1 can chicken broth
heavy cream or half & half
garlic clove

melt the butter in a pot and throw the potato, onion, broccoli, garlic in there. cover/simmer over low heat until everything is soft - but not brown. pour the can of broth over everything and bring to a boil and cook until the veggies are nice and soft. pour the mixture into a blender (or use a hand mixer) for 10-15 seconds or so, depending on if you like chunky or smooth soup. return the soup to the pot.

last step. pour a little bit of cream into the soup.. around 1/4 to 1/2 cup. the soup will change color and become very rich. it doesn't take a lot of cream, so don't overdo it.

serve this with a nice crusty french bread and you're all set. makes two big servings.[/quote]

:drool:

Ok, so who wants to organize a CAG cookbook ?

You can make this one for around $5-7 a serving if you find a good sale on clams.

Steamed Clams w/ White Wine Sauce
Easy/Delicious/Medium-Cheap/Good Presentation

1-2 lbs live clams ($7-10)
1 bottle dry white wine (your choice) ($2 buck chuck-?) (recommend a NICE wine, though)
butter
red pepper flakes
bunch of fresh parsley ($1)
lemon (.50)

french bread ($2) (safeways is excellent for this)
green beans or some side that you like ($1)

melt an inch or so worth of butter in a pot and pour in half the bottle of wine and some pepper flakes and a clove of garlic. bring to a boil. put a steamer basket in the pot and load up with clams. cover. you want to cook the clams for 5-10 minutes. basically when they open up they are pretty much good to go (i usually cook em about a minute past when they open up, but don't go too long or they'll get tough.

*throw away any that refuse to open up.

put all the partially opened clams on two plates. you can cook a little water off the wine/butter/garlic sauce and pour a little over the clams and then cover with fresh chopped parsley and lemon wedges on the side.

pour the rest of the reduced broth into bowls and dip french bread in there.:drool:

i did this one with green beans on the side.

[quote name='Kapwanil']I'm not certain if they're the same ones but Borders/Waldenbooks, just like last summer, have two different Weber Grilling cookbooks on Clearance at most locations for $6. One is a general grilling one and one is specifically about charcoal grilling. If I remember the opening sections are filled with information about the basics of grilling and most of the recipes are quite fantastic as well.

Yup, it's:
http://www.amazon.com/Webers-Real-G...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213901034&sr=1-1

as well as this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Webers-Charco...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213901034&sr=1-4[/quote]
I got this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Webers-Book-Grilling-Jamie-Purviance/dp/B0001OOTK2/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_0_0

But when I did, it was on Marketplace for 99 cents, so that + shipping = good deal!

Either way, I got them more for technique reference than for recipes. The recipes are decent though.

Man, all these recipes with chicken broth make me wanna try making chicken stock, because I heard it's so much better than the broth. I made veal stock but it came out tasting like water and mirepoix =(

[quote name='ITDEFX']:drool:

Ok, so who wants to organize a CAG cookbook ?[/quote]

YES. We need a CAG cookbook. I'd be willing to help, I love cooking :)

Allright I'm bored at work. This is a classic low cooking one which is excellent for a hot day. Easy (as are all the ones I'm posting -- no excuse not to try it, unless you think it's sound not to your liking ;)) this is fun to prepare with a kid (altho you might want to go a little easier on the garlic.

Kick Ass Summer Pasta (for Garlic Lovers)
Cheap/SUPER Easy/Not Much Cooking Req'd

Sm carton of cherry tomatoes ($3)
1/3 cup olive oil
1-2 cloves minced garlic (needs to be fresh - NO powder.)
bunch of finely chopped fresh basil ($1)
real block parmesan cheese (not packets you saved from Domino's Pizza)

prepare some pasta for two.. bow-ties are great w/ this dish(.50). don't overcook. set it aside. this is a cold or warm dish.

slice the cherry tomatos in halves. we're almost done.

pour the olive oil on a large plate. mince the garlic and add with the basil to the oil. mix it all up and let it sit for a while to marry. Then place all the tomatos in the mix with the half side down. Gently push down on the top of each half (the skin side) and the cut side will soak up a little of the oil. Let that sit for half an hour.

Put the tomatoes (think.. meatballs) all over your pasta and shave a lot of parmesan cheese on top. Drizzle a little of the reserve oil over the dish. Add fresh black pepper, salt, and sprinkle some more fresh basil on top for presentation, and you're done. It's a very "clean" tasting dish -- the raw garlic really gives it a lot of flavor. Basil, tomato, garlic and olive oil are all excellent for you. So treat yourself to a few beers, health-nut.

now this has to be CAG originals and not something out of a "How to make expensive meals without breaking the bank.." type books

cacfcag.wordpress.com

cheap ass cooking for cheap ass gamers

should be up in an hour

i'll put some google ads on there and any money we get we can buy video games with and have a raffle if there is ever actually any money from that

sound good?

I actually really enjoy my time in the kitchen. I get away from the computer and put on some music or even.... CAGcast! It really gives the eyes and the brain a break. Coming home with take-out and plopping down in front of the t.v., while fun and necessary every once in a while, is not a good routine to get in the habit of, IMO.

And it's also really fun to have a beer or three while preparing everything.

I think instead of a blog we should just make a post on CAG "CAC Cook Book" or something similar. If it is a seperate blog then no one would be able to find it, a post (possible stickied) would be much better. Also, CAG members could post to either review the posted recipes or post recipes of their own.

[quote name='ep2011']I think instead of a blog we should just make a post on CAG "CAC Cook Book" or something similar. If it is a seperate blog then no one would be able to find it, a post (possible stickied) would be much better. Also, CAG members could post to either review the posted recipes or post recipes of their own.[/quote]

i was thinking more that we use posts to discuss and review posted recipes and then the blog sort of archives all of it - or vice versa could work to actually.

otherwise recipes will get buried in a thread - like jimmy's recipe.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']i was thinking more that we use posts to discuss and review posted recipes and then the blog sort of archives all of it - or vice versa could work to actually.

otherwise recipes will get buried in a thread - like jimmy's recipe.[/quote]

Nonono, the OP would edit the first post with all the recipes as they are posted, so they are all on the front page! :D No burying.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']ah, that is a good idea[/quote]

:)

Anyone up for it? I'll do it if no one else wants to (Or if someone wants me to :p)

Hey jimmyMac, any chance you could do something in the breakfast category?

I tried your Pork chops and loved em!!!!!

yesterday i ate a box of cheese-its for dinner. that and some cookies/milk. it was four bucks total, but if you really wanted to you could go to sams club and probably halve that price.

...i know that wasn't cooking, but i did have to pour milk into a glass

[quote name='guinaevere']Awesome. That cheap prepared food will really pay for itself when you've got high blood pressure and heart problems later in life.[/quote]

i already do ^_^

[quote name='Inf^Shini']What'd you do for the 1/2 lb. of broccoli? Flowerettes or a bunch? Did you use the stems?

I'll probably attempt it soon, sounds interesting.[/quote]

I used flowerettes. Though, if you put it in the blender, it probably wouldn't matter. After I used the blender all carrots and broccoli were reduced to very tiny bits.

[quote name='guinaevere']Awesome. That cheap prepared food will really pay for itself when you've got high blood pressure and heart problems later in life.[/quote]
are you kidding me?

he had to lift that carton of milk. that's some real exercise right there, like 1 lb. wrist curl.

and he probably had to open the box of cheezits too. that's probably, i dunno, .10 lb of EXPLOSIVE force needed to get it open!

Broil or Bake Top Sirloin Steak?

I just got the defrosting done and the marinade is getting started. I'm using my Foreman grill to cook the steak but I want to try throwing into the oven.

Do you guys set the oven to a certain degree or broil?

Top sirloin, sear it in the pan then move the whole pan into a 500 degree oven.

4 minutes first side, 3 mins the second, 4 mins in the oven, 5 minutes out of the oven and out of the pan to rest and you should be right around mid/mid rare.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

Best marinade for a Flank Steak? Usually do some form of olive oil with herbs or a teriyaki sauce, but in for some suggestions?

Don't use olive oil for marinades. Olive oil burns and gets an acrid taste if it goes over 425 degrees so just use blended oil.

Stuff that's good in marinades, herbs, balsamic vinegar, garlic, so on.

[quote name='joe2187']Teriyaki?! no thanks. Soy sauce ,vinegar, wee bit O' dijo mustard, chopped garlic, pepper will do fine for a marinade.[/QUOTE]

I use A-1 Marinade...and it's pretty tasty so far.

Holy crap, you from Covina? Family and I lives in West Covina until my job moved me to Nashville.

[quote name='JimmieMac']Don't use olive oil for marinades. Olive oil burns and gets an acrid taste if it goes over 425 degrees so just use blended oil.

Stuff that's good in marinades, herbs, balsamic vinegar, garlic, so on.[/quote]

Sounds good, didn't know that about Olive Oil. So helpful to have a good chef on CAG :p

[quote name='joe2187']Teriyaki?! no thanks. Soy sauce ,vinegar, wee bit O' dijo mustard, chopped garlic, pepper will do fine for a marinade.[/quote]

Yum, I think I will make it like this.

ha! Nice post, kainzero.

[quote name='blaked569']i already do ^_^[/quote]Dang, eat something healthy.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I used flowerettes. Though, if you put it in the blender, it probably wouldn't matter.[/quote]Just an fyi. The darkest greens on most vegetables are where the nutrients are. Eating the stalks of broccoli or leafy vegetables isn't bad for you, but you're not getting the vitamin-dense benefit of that food.

Like, if you only eat romain hearts or iceburg you're not getting any real nutrition from that. The dark green of the leaves is where the protein, vitamins A & C, iron & calcium and even lutein and folic acid are in dark green leafy vegetables. The light green and the stalks is mostly just water.

Im cooking Fettucine alfredo in 10mins. I've got Heavy cream, a bar of cream cheese, brocolli, beef, parmesian cheese, and butter. What am i missing?

[quote name='JimmieMac']Speaking of which, garlic bread. Maybe a little provolone slices from the deli and a loaf from the bakery? 4 bucks? Maybe?
[/QUOTE]

Been doing this lately with baguettes and mozzarella. Works very well.

Wondering what to do with jarlsberg (sic). It's like gruyere but seems cheaper. Excellent with crackers and wine, but maybe that's all it's good for.

[quote name='JimmieMac']Speaking of which, garlic bread. Maybe a little provolone slices from the deli and a loaf from the bakery? 4 bucks? Maybe? [/quote]I love bread and cheese, but please don't tell me you're saying to buy Garlic Bread at stores pre-made. That stuff is nasty.

Does anybody know a good reference book for fish?

I want to start making sashimi and working with whole fish, but I wouldn't know where to begin.

[quote name='Strell']Wondering what to do with jarlsberg (sic). It's like gruyere but seems cheaper. Excellent with crackers and wine, but maybe that's all it's good for.[/quote]

Jarlsberg is an excellent sandwich cheese. The Lite pairs very well with ham.

So I liked the look of jmac's apple pork chops with almonds and have myself some chops, apples, and almonds waiting to have something done to them.

I found a recipe that uses maple syrup and butter over the top of it, sounds good.

Either way, I'll see if I can come up with something interesting to share with ya'll.

Not quite the style of a certain chef, but it tasted pretty good.
I basically took jmac's chop instructions for his zucchini pork chops thing and combined it with 4 other apple/chops recipes. It turned out ok, but the issue is that the meat itself doesn't really absorb the flavor, so you have to really pile the apples/sauce on there. I think you could do this in a crock pot for better results, but I don't really mess around with crock pots since I like the hands on cooking stuff over just fire and forget.

So here we have ck64's apple chops-
foodyaygk3.jpg

Stuff you need:
4 pork chops
2 apples
1/3 cup almonds (whole or sliced, whatev)
1 tablespoon of butter
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
2/3 cup of apple cider (i used hornsby's hard apple cider)

You'll need to have your oven preheated to around 330, so if you want to get that started, now would be a good time :)

Sauce:
Cut up the apples removing core. I cut it into 16th's and then cut those slices in half.

Get a pan and start heating up the butter, I used medium heat.

Once the butter has melted, throw in your apples, brown sugar, and almonds. Then, dump your cider on top of that.

Cook this until the apples start to get soft.

The Chops:
Just followed jmac's instructions except substituted butter with oil. Heat up some butter and brush it onto the chops, then coat both sides with a little salt and pepper.

Sear both sides so they're golden brown.

The Combo:
Now you're going to want to preheat your oven to around 330.

Once thats ready, put your pork chops into a baking dish and then dump the sauce with the apples all over it.

Stick that in the oven for about 15 minutes, or until the pork hits the right temp (160 core if i remember correctly, though I just cook it until theres no pink whatsoever).

-----
Thats it.

I just used some canned green beans (classy i know) and a roll with a side of salad.

Looking forward to the critiques.

[quote name='crystalklear64']...I just used some canned green beans (classy i know) and a roll with a side of salad. Looking forward to the critiques.[/quote]
I like green beans quite a bit, I had some today with a little butter and bacon.
The chops look pretty good, I'm a fan of anything with brown sugar and apples.

Well here we have it:
milkjiczu9.jpg

I'm going to go ahead and guess that I didn't make this "correctly."

I took about a quarter onion and sliced it up into fairly large chunks, mainly because I love onions and am one of those people who can eat walawala sweets like apples.

Mistake there. Finely chopped onions would work much better for this imo.

When it came time to heat the cottage cheese, it kinda boils most of the liquid surrounding the cheese away and leaves kinda.. clumpy crumbley chunks of cheese behind. I'm guessing I had too much heat still going when I put the cottage cheese in.

As for the taste itself, most of it was rather bland, I had to throw some salt on it. However, an occasional bite would surprise me with a bit of flavor, and when I got to the bottom of the bowl where the liquids had gathered, there was some good flavor to be found.

If I used the right amount of cottage cheese and noodles, I could see where it would taste just like prepackaged mac and cheese, and the onions were a nice touch. So for future reference for myself, onions sound like a good thing to add to mac and cheese.

If I try to make this again, I'll add more cottage cheese, cut the onions finer, and let the pot sit awhile longer before adding the cheese while the onions are simmering.

Overall it was good enough, I was able to finish it, and didn't have to resort to my large glass of emergency strawberry milk :)

Try making this simple recipe one weekend morning for breakfast and your girlfriend/wife will definitely appreciate it and pay you back:

CAGcakes

1 large egg
1 cup all purpose or whole wheat flour
3/4 to 1 cup milk
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
2 Tbsps vegetable oil
3 tsps baking powder
1/4 teaspon salt

Beat egg in medium bowl with hand beater until fluffy. Beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth. For thinner pancakes, stir in additional 1 to 2 tablespoons milk.
Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat or to 375 degrees. Grease griddle with margarine if necessary. (To test griddle, sprinkle with a few drops of water. If bubbles jump around, heat is just right.)
For each pancake, pour 1/4 to 1/3 cup batter from cup or pitcher onto hot griddle. Cook pancake until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other side until golden brown

(NOTE: you can also split the flour up, adding 1/2 regular flour and 1/2 whole wheat flour. Or 3/4 regular flour and 1/4 whole wheat flour. Or 7/8 regular flour and 1/8 whole wheat flour... )

I have a pound of good red beans and a pound of good white beans. I wanna stretch it a ways, so as a side dish it'd probably go the furthest. What should I make?

I was thinking white beans and rice with some pan seared salmon. Salmon's pretty expensive right now though.

[quote name='Koggit']I have a pound of good red beans and a pound of good white beans. I wanna stretch it a ways, so as a side dish it'd probably go the furthest. What should I make?

I was thinking white beans and rice with some pan seared salmon. Salmon's pretty expensive right now though.[/QUOTE]
Red beans and rice always good. Add some kielbasa and rice with your beans. Veggies if you want.

Onions, pepper, dry parsely. Oh and garlic of course.

Cumin if you want a hint of that taco flavor in there.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Red beans and rice always good. Add some kielbasa and rice with your beans. Veggies if you want.

Onions, pepper, dry parsely. Oh and garlic of course.

Cumin if you want a hint of that taco flavor in there.[/QUOTE]

You cook the rice with the beans? Red beans & rice is really common in Louisiana, but there it's typically nothing more than beans and sausage cooked for a long time served over rice.

bread's done
Back