Cheap Ass Cooking

I wish I knew how to cook like you guys. I wish I had things I could share here, but I don't. Keep posting CAGs, you're making my day.

Get some of those Lipton noodles (I personally like chicken fried rice, broccoli alfredo noodles, and chicken flavored noodles) and put a can of chicken or tuna in them. This is a super cheap (and filling) meal for under $2! They are also really healthy if you don't use butter like they say..

[quote name='JimmieMac']I wish I knew how to cook like you guys. I wish I had things I could share here, but I don't. Keep posting CAGs, you're making my day.[/QUOTE]

I like to mix canned tuna with mayo, relish, and banana pepper to make a nice tuna salad.

who knew?

I like using a crock pot, you can cook anything in it. You just throw some meat and veggies in it in the morning and when you get home at night supper is done.

In the oven I like to do either "Beer in the butt chicken" or carnitas. For "BitBC" you get a whole fryer and stand it upright shove a can or beer (or soda) up its anus and cook it. yummm

[quote name='jaykrue']cookingforengineers.com

For you non-cooks that, at least, know how to follow precise directions.[/quote]
I am an engineer. I will use this.

[quote name='Staind204']Get some of those Lipton noodles (I personally like chicken fried rice, broccoli alfredo noodles, and chicken flavored noodles) and put a can of chicken or tuna in them. This is a super cheap (and filling) meal for under $2! They are also really healthy if you don't use butter like they say..[/quote]
I

[quote name='JimmieMac']Who needs time and temp with precise instruction like that.[/quote]

I remember you posted a really good sounding Mac and Cheese recipe a long time ago. Care to share it again?

[quote name='Dandeschain']When I was younger and single, I lived in a house with 2 other dudes and we were quite poor. I was deemed the house cook, so I would make the meals during the week. 2 of the house favs were stroganoff and pork chops. For the stroganoff, just brown some ground beef, add some cream of mushroom soup and sour cream, boil some bowties, and combine. It's cheap and damn tasty. Get some cheap, thin-cut, chops and simmer them in cream of mushroom soup. Boil up some brown rice, and combine the 2 when done. Also cheap, and tasty.[/quote]

thank you. this will be saved for future reference.

[quote name='sandrokstar']One more essential item for you:
images

get this book. don't waste your money on any other cookbook.[/quote]
I have the OG version of that but I prefer using Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything." It lists all the ingredients and tells you how to prepare each one, along with recipes. Whenever I feel like trying a vegetable I've never had, I refer to it so I know how to cook it and how to select the best ones.

Most of the food I eat is generally simply cooked vegetables and roasted or grilled meat. I used to eat a lot of fruits, but my new diet doesn't allow for it on the weekdays. I would use fish, but if I bring it to work the smell gets everywhere. I try to cook all my food for the week on Sunday and Wednesday.

I think the number one thing to remember is to stick with it. Sounds amazingly cliched but it's really the only way to improve. I messed up artichokes 3 times before I finally got them right. I nearly burned the house down the first time I made crossiants. I used somen noodles for Yakisoba. My first batch of veal stock tastes like water. I can't even count the number of mistakes I made with the BBQ grill. (and nowadays I can't believe how many guys love having BBQs but can't grill at all!) But keep practicing and you'll get it, get good at making it cheaper and faster.

[quote name='kainzero'] I nearly burned the house down the first time I made crossiants [/QUOTE]
Holy shit, same here! I was making chèvre (pronounced "shev") and caramelized onion croissants, while i was trying to caramelize the onions i let the oil stay on high heat to long and it ignited. it was quite a blaze.
anyhow it came out really well. I'd like to share that good recipe now.
This is a simple dish to impress:
1. You can make your own croissant dough, but i highly recommend just using the pre-made Pillsbury Crescents
pb_crescents_482x193.jpg

2. Caramelize the yellow onion(s): heat up a pan of oil on med-hi heat, slice the onions thin, stir evenly, make sure they get good and brown (almost black). They should taste sweet by now.
3. Get some good chèvre goat cheese, (kind of expensive but so damn worth it)
4. Put a pinch of onion and chèvre in the little dough triangles, roll it up. For a nice touch i like to add a little onion on the top of it.
5. Bake. enjoy.

they should come out like the one on the bottom-left (we were using different doughs, for the rest of those in the photo)
n82300180_30304526_5034.jpg

Alright, I can't keep my mouth shut any more once I saw the atrocities done to the carmi O's listed above. Not medium high heat. Ever. Low and slow. Cut the O's and put them in a pan/pot. No salt, no butter, no oil. Nothing. Onions and heat. Low heat for a while, it really depends on how much onions you have and the size of the pan, all the water will come out and it will look like French Onion soup, then once they're tan turn the heat up to high Stir, stir, stir. and boil off all the water.This will concentrate the sugars, get rid of the liquid and give them more color. I have to go over this with people all the time since we have to make 5 gallons of carmilized onions every other day. Low heat. Always start with low heat. Period. Right before they're done then you add your salt and pepper. Done.

[quote name='JimmieMac']Alright, I can't keep my mouth shut any more once I saw the atrocities done to the carmi O's listed above. Not medium high heat. Ever. Low and slow. Cut the O's and put them in a pan/pot. No salt, no butter, no oil. Nothing. Onions and heat. Low heat for a while, it really depends on how much onions you have and the size of the pan, all the water will come out and it will look like French Onion soup, then once they're tan turn the heat up to high Stir, stir, stir. and boil off all the water.This will concentrate the sugars, get rid of the liquid and give them more color. I have to go over this with people all the time since we have to make 5 gallons of carmilized onions every other day. Low heat. Always start with low heat. Period. Right before they're done then you add your salt and pepper. Done.[/QUOTE]

There's alot of ways to do it actually. In my old restaurant we used to cut the onions, coat them with oil, add the salt and pepper, then leave them in the baking oven overnight. I did forget to mention the salt and pepper, but i think our techniques provide the same results.

[quote name='sandrokstar']Holy shit, same here! I was making chèvre (pronounced "shev") and caramelized onion croissants, while i was trying to caramelize the onions i let the oil stay on high heat to long and it ignited. it was quite a blaze. [/quote]
The reason I made homemade croissants is because I heard homemade ones just taste so much better. After making my own, I agree; but it takes an entire day to make a batch, perhaps even more.

What had happened was that I put the croissants in the oven on a cookie sheet. They expanded, and one of them expanded so that part of it was hanging off the cookie sheet. Being the piles of butter they are, the butter started dripping on to the heating element and it ignited.

And me being the brilliant one, I poured water on the grease fire.

-_-;

Man I just get a box uh crackers and malt sum cheese on there and put a bunch of ramen seasonin' on top.... v'wallah!

Reach for the stars guys.

[quote name='sandrokstar']There's alot of ways to do it actually. In my old restaurant we used to cut the onions, coat them with oil, add the salt and pepper, then leave them in the baking oven overnight. I did forget to mention the salt and pepper, but i think our techniques provide the same results.[/quote]

There's lots of ways to do everything, but few right ways. Your way is how you dry out cherry tomatoes and lemon wheels and such, which is fine for those things but to do carmilized onions like that is fuckin wrong and fuckin' fucked. Tell your chef I called him a hack and to stop teaching you bad habits. If he doesn't know what he's doing leave and go somewhere else.

And really, you people should be posting more questions about how to cook, technique wise, rather than sitting her stroking each other about how fuckin smart you are that you mixed two canned food together to make a new "homemade" food.

Don't get me wrong, I like that you're on path to feeding yourselves and learning how to apply heat to food but you need to work with fresh ingredients and start basic like making your own dressing. It's fuckin Spring/Summer time for Christ sakes. Tons of awesome food is coming up right now and your boiling chicken in canned soup. Wake up. You're reheating. Not cooking.

Great idea for a thread! It should be noted that I have no opinion on the right way to fix onions is and I'm O.K. with that.
I'll also admit that sometimes I like reheating in lieu of cooking when life just gets in the way of doing things the "right way".

I grew up on 40 acres with a half dozen cattle, some chickens, a few pigs, and a massive garden w/ tons of veggie/herbs.
My mother was a professional chef and was outstanding in the kitchen. My sister isn't too bad herself but I'm average at best.
My point is, I've had excellent cooking with the best ingrediants and without question it is the superior way to go.
However, I go the reheating route myself at least a few times a week. When I'm broke, busy, or lazy I reheat.
So yeah, I would like to read more posted "homemade" food recipes created by mixing pre-packaged food.
I would also like to read more posts with real cooking recipes using fresh ingrediants that I can try out.

Most of all though I would like to read a recipe or two for chili as requested earlier in the thread 'cause well, I like it.
So keep 'em all comin'. I don't care if it's a way to make a good sandwich, I'm not picky and good topic OP.

Call your Mom and read that post to her, if she doesn't cry and give you fewer presents at Christmas I'll be surprised.

my girlfriend is a great cook, so I'm not usually the one in front of the stove. but when I am it's usually breakfast food. eggs, gotta love the eggs. bake up some biscuits, scramble some eggs with some sausage (the tube kind that breaks apart), cook up some gravy...man, good shit, and it'll keep you going for most of the day because it's so friggin bad for you. then there's the scrambled eggs on top of a split bagel and smothered in chili and cheese.

on the hambuger helper front, I swear by the store brand Lasagne from Kroger (Vons, Safeway, whatever else they own). it has some nice spice to it, and when you add some crushed red pepper and then some grated provalone when it's done it's damn good. the reheating, yeah, doesn't always hold up, can get greasy, but maybe using a really lean ground beef will help that.

I love breakfast food too KK. And yeah the worse it is for you the longer it tends to keep you going.
And JM I'd be surprised too, I haven't gotten a christmas present from mom in quite a long time.

Her professional career ended with an accident. No, not from some random kitchen fire and yes this is actually true.
She developed a dystrophy and became disabled, making my sister the de-facto cook and me the de-facto taxi driver.

Don't worry though, her opinion of a person's character never depended on how they treated onions. Just people.
So, how about more good cooking recipes and/or methods then? (They don't have to have onions).

My only problem is that trying to cook in a dorm, particular this one, can be harrowing. Depending upon everyone else you live with either your kitchen will be untouched and pristine (always a magnificent proposition) or it's a quick way for someone else's stupidity to get you sick.

I'd be cooking more here if not for the fact that I would have to clean the counter, fridge, sink, and the old range/oven each time, usually about a good 30 minutes. I don't know what people are thinking but they're prepping meat [sans cutting board, mind you] on top of the fridge. They wash out their pots and pans with just water and then place them to soak in the oven. Sometimes they like using the oven as a makeshift refrigerator because the two are just so similar in design.

However, when I don't really have to prep much, if anything, I usually head for this recipe: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/recipedetail.cfm?objectid=D447A0EA-E4E3-447B-82D20BB4E882D8EB,returnpath=%2Frecipe%2FtipTechniqueView%2Ecfm%3Fobjectid%3DDA300576%2D3C52%2D4A90%2DB68493395893D80A%2Cbnrid%3D3100146%2Csid%3DWSE73Q4H0AEMAUB9MT92B9EYLA2FMXXS200608281413

Yeah, it's at W-S's site but you don't need anything fancy or overpriced for it. Cooks quite fast, too, so if you wanted to toss it together at 2 in the morning it's a breeze. Also, since most of the ingredients are things you have lying around the pantry the most expensive part is pretty much the shrimp, which isn't too bad if you're cooking for one. Just be careful when buying the shrimp, OK? Sometimes you can tell someone's going to have a wild night when you can detect a wonderful aroma of ammonia just a few customers away.

[quote name='chuckie88']Most of all though I would like to read a recipe or two for chili as requested earlier in the thread 'cause well, I like it.[/QUOTE]

White chicken chili is really good and super easy. McCormick has really good packets of white chicken chili seasoning. Just add a pound of canned white beans, a pound of chicken, a seasoning packet or two and you're good to go.

It doesn't really taste all that much like chili -- it's not tomato based at all -- but it's definitely delicious. And extremely healthy since, literally, the ingredient list consists of only those three things. There's probably 5 grams of fat in enough white chicken chili to feed 5 people.

I've been baking quiches which I find really easy to make.

I do buy premade pastry lining though, but it's quite good actually.

the other day i used bacon, sauteed onions and broccoli with 4 eggs, creme fraiche (like heavy cream only... not as heavy), and whole milk.

you basically sautee and fry up your filling ingredients and set them aside. Mix the cream, milk and eggs together and beat into a cohesive liquid and then combine it all in pastry lining. you can add cheese to the top too, but i ran outta money.

set it at level 6 (375) and watched it brown.

Invest in a crock pot. If you like big chunks of tender meat, you can't go wrong. I just threw a boneless pork loin in there yesterday with a little water some garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and cayenne, some salt and black pepper. Put it on low and come back in 10 hours. Best shredded pork sammich you ever have. That's basically all you gotta do too.

Just follow this formula.

1 large chunk of meat
any vegetables you like
any seasoning you like
some water

10 hours on low

[quote name='Sleepkyng']creme fraiche (like heavy cream only... not as heavy)[/quote]

Wrong. Creme Fraiche (like sour cream only....not as sour..or thick)

[quote name='JimmieMac']
Don't get me wrong, I like that you're on path to feeding yourselves and learning how to apply heat to food but you need to work with fresh ingredients and start basic like making your own dressing. It's fuckin Spring/Summer time for Christ sakes. Tons of awesome food is coming up right now and your boiling chicken in canned soup. Wake up. You're reheating. Not cooking.[/quote]

dressing is nasty, I used to have to make tons of it for a restaurant, so much freaking mayo

I am one of the few people who truly thinks its cheaper to go out to eat then it is to buy food if you are single. With food prices skyrocketing due to lame excuses about corn and high flue prices buying food is highly expensive and the price of food over the past 4-5 months is amazing. I am taking a class where everyone pitches in a few dollers and we get doughnuts. When I started taking the class in September a bakers dozen was $4.19. When I got them yesterday it was $7.05.

Anyways point I am making is that its almost not worth cooking if you live alone and live on the doller menue. Your health might take a hit but with hard economic times I need every $$$.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']dressing is nasty, I used to have to make tons of it for a restaurant, so much freaking mayo[/quote]

You worked in a shit hole because I was talking about vinaigrettes and no person in their right mind makes salad dressing with mayo.

[quote name='JimmieMac']You worked in a shit hole because I was talking about vinaigrettes and no person in their right mind makes salad dressing with mayo.[/quote]

ehh i am sure you can fine recipes without it, but we used it to make thousand island, ranch, bleu cheese, and others that i cant remember

[quote name='JimmieMac']I don't get it, you post on how to make creme on the fly but all the dairy like that starts from heavy cream. It's supposed to have cultures in it, which in the first one is kinda what the butter milk is doing.

See, I can look things up on the internet too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cr%C3%A8me_fra%C3%AEche[/quote]

from that wiki article

"It is a heavy cream slightly soured with bacterial culture, but not as sour or as thick as sour cream."

we can split hairs there if you want.

I mean, at the end of the day, Creme Fraiche is just Creme Friache, there's no way to make it unless you've got "fresh cream."

Unless you buy the actual stuff, there are lots of substitutes, one of which is heavy cream mixed with butter milk.

[quote name='JimmieMac']You worked in a shit hole because I was talking about vinaigrettes and no person in their right mind makes salad dressing with mayo.[/QUOTE]

Some part of me really wants to disagree with this statement about dressings. However there really are so many good dressings that are essentially vegan. My personal favorite is Goddess dressing, which is Tahini-based. I usually buy it, but this looks like a good recipe here Goddess Dressing

[quote name='JimmieMac']You worked in a shit hole because I was talking about vinaigrettes and no person in their right mind makes salad dressing with mayo.[/QUOTE]

i definitely agree with that.

mayo is not for salad.

[quote name='packerfan10']I am taking a class where everyone pitches in a few dollers and we get doughnuts. When I started taking the class in September a bakers dozen was $4.19. When I got them yesterday it was $7.05. [/quote]

I'd say check local bakeries instead if you have any nearby rather than supermarkets and the national chains for donuts. You won't get the exotic variety most of the time but you can usually cut down on the price a great deal otherwise and still get great, if not better, quality at the end of the day.

I tried doing the whole "Dollar Menu" thing a while back for a few weeks and tracking my expenses. I found a few things for myself that probably won't transfer over to others, but it certainly shaped my view on a few things:

1) Eating 3 meals a day to satiety usually ran me around $11 per day before taxes.
2) Despite my activity and exercise being the same for those two weeks, by the end I had gained about 4 pounds.
3) I completely and utterly threw my GI tract for a loop. No more needs be said.

On the other hand, I've been keeping an eye on my food expenses when I prepare and cook my own food and I'm running near $7 a day on average to hit satiety. I can hit $6 a day if there are some good sales on certain products, $5 if I nail it big with coupons.

[quote name='JimmieMac']You worked in a shit hole because I was talking about vinaigrettes and no person in their right mind makes salad dressing with mayo.[/quote]

More salad dressings and other sauces use mayo than you might think. I worked for a restaurant that makes their own mayo for their dressings and whatnot. Our reviews and wait list would suggest they were not exactly a 'shit hole'.

Always fine to have someone with some know-how give their 2 cents.

I personally like food that tastes good, regardless of how you make it. Just cuz something is easy to make doesn't mean its bad.

I think everyone can agree to that, the question, for some, is whether or not they consider it "cooking" or not.

[quote name='sandrokstar']...Goddess dressing, which is Tahini-based. I usually buy it, but this looks like a good recipe here Goddess Dressing [/quote]
This looks pretty good, I think I'll try it out. Thanks!
[quote name='Kapwanil']...tried doing the whole "Dollar Menu" thing for a few weeks... I found a few things for myself that probably won't transfer over to others, but it certainly shaped my view on a few things...[/quote]
Those negative aspects transfer to most people. Makes me think of the eye-opening film "Super-size Me".
[quote name='crystalklear64']I personally like food that tastes good, regardless of how you make it. Just cuz something is easy to make doesn't mean its bad.[/quote]
I couldn't agree more. Eat for taste! (Well, within reason of course).
[quote name='the_deej']http://www.proatcooking.com/[/quote]
Hmmmm...while the recipe looks good, the ingrediant amounts are unclear but it is hard to argue with the sampler's reaction!:lol:

[quote name='mitch079']If you want to make a cheap but good pizza, take a flour tortilla, sauce, mozzarella cheese, and anything you want to top it off with. Put it in the over for about 15-20 minutes on 350.
[/QUOTE]

I like this idea and am planning on making it sometime this week. I'm going to give the "crust" a little more structure, though, by building it like a thin quesadilla first and baking it (or likely putting it under the broiler) until the top is crispy. Then I'll make the pizza on top of that like normal and throw it back into the oven for a few minutes to warm the toppings.

[quote name='Koggit']This reminds me: I make fake jambalaya. It's super easy and super cheap.

I loved jambalaya back home in Louisiana, but I moved away and am too lazy to make it properly. I actually use my rice cooker for it, and it works pretty well. Total cost of admission is just chicken, rice, an onion and bell pepper, and a little chicken broth,

1. Cube the chicken (bite sized)
2. Slice some sausage (the spicier the better, again bite sized)
3. Dice 1 medium onion, 1 whole green pepper, and some green onion
4. Mix all of the above ingredients in a bowl, season heavily (I use Tony Chachere's , but otherwise some garlic, cayenne and salt will work just fine)
5. Add the seasoned meat/onion mixture to the rice cooker pot, add rice (choose your rice carefully, nothing sticky, I use Uncle Ben's)
6. Instead of adding water to cook the rice, use chicken broth.
7. Stir the mixture well, turn the rice cooker on, wait, and enjoy.

It's quite healthy, especially if you use lean sausage or omit the sausage entirely. Any meat can work, but sometimes you'll have to cook it first. Like, shrimp in particular, you have to cook down a bit before putting it in the rice cooker or it's gross. Steak, also, should be cooked down first so that it's tender enough for jambalaya.

$15 and $15 minutes can produce about 5 lbs of delicious food this way. Ingredients are quite versatile -- you can use whatever leftover meat you have, and change up the vegetables (zucchini, carrots, celery, broccoli, etc).[/QUOTE]

Now illustrated (just made tonight):

P1010162.jpg

2lb chicken, 1lb sausage (lean turkey), 1/2 large white onion, 1 small green bell pepper, some green onion, seasoned and stir fried (cayenne, basil, garlic powder, red pepper & salt -- don't hold back on the cayenne)

P1010166.jpg

3 cups converted & parboiled (Uncle Ben's) white rice, washed

P1010173.jpg

Ingredients from steps 1 and 2, +1 can of chicken broth

P1010178.jpg

The above, after being cooked in the rice cooker (not timed -- just press cook and wait until the rice is done).

P1010186.jpg

Plated and topped with some of the extra chopped green onion -- Spidey approval.

About 6lb of food for less than $15. Zero oil/butter, only as much fat as the lean sausage has. Now, this is the part where JimmieMac lets me know I'm doing it wrong.

I'm going thru my imageshack account and pulled some pics to post here to keep with the theme of cooking and also near the bottom is the mis en place list from, maybe, 3 menus ago.

[quote name='JimmieMac']I'm going thru my imageshack account and pulled some pics to post here to keep with the theme of cooking and also near the bottom is the mis en place list from, maybe, 3 menus ago.

[/QUOTE]

:drool:

bread's done
Back