Chrono Trigger DS Thread - E3 Impressions Post #272

I would pay almost any price for this just so they get the message and remake it. I want to see it redone like the PSP FF1 and FF2 graphics style. 3D = no, it just wouldnt work

[quote name='ChibiJosh']It would be best if they kept the same 2D style and just tightened up the graphics to be beautiful.[/quote]

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=UJ-QSJmEgHU[/media]

[quote name='Strell']It's classic Square mantra at work here. They've starved us on CT for years and now they are giving us a chance to play it on a portable.[/QUOTE]

They haven't so much "starved" anyone as used the Disney tactic of throwing their most high-profile product in the vault for a set number of years before deciding to do a port or remake, making sure their old stuff remains as profitable as possible... and that isn't even the case here! Sure, even loose SNES carts of Chrono Trigger can get pricy, but the PS1 port is still easy to find... and we don't yet know if the DS version will have loading (or any other technical) problems of its own.

Don't get me wrong, Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games, but I much prefer other companies' tactics of releasing compilations of their best stuff and/or making it available on VC, Steam, etc. and wish Square would do the same. Thing is, their fans (and I include myself here) are typically very passionate about their titles, and therefore quite willing to pay out the nose. However, I'm sick of paying out the nose.

Given the price this thing will probably release at, there isn't much that could convince me to buy it day one. Maybe if they throw in Radical Dreamers, fully translated, but that won't happen :razz:

This is great news, and to all the people who hate this release: Nobody's making you buy it. Maybe some people would rather pay for a non-pirated portable version, ever think about that?

Oh, I'll buy it, but I'll just wait for a decent sale and/or price drop, because I certainly won't pay what Square Enix will be asking for it, and there's lots of good games that I've never played before to keep myself occupied while I wait :razz:

[quote name='blueshinra']
Given the price this thing will probably release at, there isn't much that could convince me to buy it day one. Maybe if they throw in Radical Dreamers, fully translated, but that won't happen :razz:[/QUOTE]

First off: Beginning paragraphs - fair enough. I imagine this is Neph's point, but phrased not-so-harshly. So to neph: fair enough.

Second: If they were to include RD translated, I think I'd have a heart attack. Or a boner attack. Whichever is more pleasant.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I need a fist shaking smiley.[/QUOTE]

grrrnt7ip0.gif

[quote name='sixteenvolt420']$30 or less, maybe

$40, No Way[/quote]

It's Square. It's gonna be $40.

I massively want this. Can't wait.

[quote name='SNAKE EYES EX']It's Square. It's gonna be $40.

I massively want this. Can't wait.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm almost positive this'll be $40 retail. But I'm 100% sure I won't give a rats ass and just buy this again.

Remastered exclusively for Nintendo DS(TM), this marks the first time that the groundbreaking RPG will be available on a handheld console.

pffffffft!!!

SNES9X_TYL... been there done that!!!!

still... Chrono Trigger = Greatest of all time!!!

ALL TIME!!

[quote name='b3b0p']I wish it was on GBA, but this works.[/QUOTE]

Why? So that they could ruin the game's wonderful music with the GBA's woefully inferior sound chip? :

[quote name='JEKKI']pffffffft!!!

SNES9X_TYL... been there done that!!!!

still... Chrono Trigger = Greatest of all time!!!

ALL TIME!![/QUOTE]

Take your rom using ass out of here!

JK

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Why? So that they could ruin the game's wonderful music with the GBA's woefully inferior sound chip? :

Why are all square Enix games $40. Iam waiting for the world ends with you when it turns $30. Hope this isnt for $40

[quote name='Strell']
Second: If they were to include RD translated, I think I'd have a heart attack. Or a boner attack. Whichever is more pleasant.[/quote]

Maybe both at once? :whistle2:k

Awesome, awesome, AWESOME news. I really do NOT want to see this go to 3D, though--I'll be buying this day one if they use the original sprites or create higher resolution versions.

Extremely exciting! Quite coincidental that Chrono Trigger was part of the roast in the most recent Game Informer. I'll definately purchase it, although it would be nice for them to release a non-enhanced port to the Wii as well (for those who crave nostalgia). The DS version will be undoubtedly good, but I would like to play it on my 40" perhaps it's time to track down a copy of the SNES version...

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=7dRyYFRz94U[/media]

FROG!!

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=qN6roRn7M5w[/media]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SpecTrE3353']So is it ok to discuss major plot and story spoilers in a thread about a game that isn't out yet but is technically 13 years old?[/quote]go ahead and put a
spoiler
tag around it if you're not sure, since a number of people have already posted saying they've never played it.

Motherfucker slices the mountain in half.

How can anyone not love this game?

Two words: Ozzie Pants.

Ozzie Pants, bitches. Ozzie. fucking. Pants.

Haven't been this excited for a game in a long time.

[quote name='Pylis']Awesome, awesome, AWESOME news. I really do NOT want to see this go to 3D, though--I'll be buying this day one if they use the original sprites or create higher resolution versions.[/QUOTE]
It's not going 3D. There are screens in the next issue of Famitsu, and it's quite clearly the original graphics.

Also, they couldn't do the sprites in higher resolution. The DS's screen resolution is actually slightly lower than the resolution output by the SNES, so if they drew the sprites bigger/in higher resolution, then they would have to take up more of the screen area, which simply wouldn't work.

[quote name='Strell']No youtube of this song, but here's an incredible remix of the Zeal Theme, [URL="http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR01053/"]"Zeal Love"[/URL] from OCRemix by Unipulator.[/QUOTE]
Not bad, but I present to you that that remix is highly inferior to both the remix created for Chrono Resurrection, and the abso-fucking-lutely amazing jazz cover from the Brink of Time album (which I own). In my opinion, anyways.

Sigh. The resurrection music is indeed quite good. Pretty much anything Spanish guitar influenced/based is $$$$$. Those guys were well on their way to making a quality product.

(downloads the other)

The jazz one is good. I like jazz and all, but this one didn't seem to retain the sort of desperate sadness that I associate Zeal with, since it's this civilization on the brink of destruction sort of thing. But that's personal preference so no big deal.

Hmm. I wonder if they'll include the animated cutscenes from the PSOne version? I really hope they do, as I wasn't willing to play through that slowed-down port just for some pretty movies.

[quote name='Strell']

[/quote]

Great question. Think about it. The creators of two of the most traditional and prolific RPG franchises come together to make a a game that breaks a lot of the genre's conventions and gets rid of everything most people can't stand about rpgs. Hour per hour, battle per battle, mechanic per mechanic, this game stands heads and shoulders above the rest.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but still: Overrated? My :booty:it is.

Wait.

I know I have this game...but not the SNES cart. And I don't have Chrono Cross.

Isn't this on some FF PS1 disc? Now I've gotta go dig through my games. I never actually played much of it off the disc. I got to the first town and lost interest. Maybe I will go dig that game out and pop it in the PS3.

[quote name='Rig']Isn't this on some FF PS1 disc? Now I've gotta go dig through my games. I never actually played much of it off the disc. I got to the first town and lost interest. Maybe I will go dig that game out and pop it in the PS3.[/QUOTE]

The released a slightly-altered port of CT on PS1, bundled with FFIV, called "Final Fantasy Chronicles." That's probably what you have.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']The released a slightly-altered port of CT on PS1, bundled with FFIV, called "Final Fantasy Chronicles." That's probably what you have.[/quote]

Yep. Just dug through the box of PS1 games and found it.

Apparently, I paid $8.95 for it many years ago, as the pricetag was still affixed. Gonna give it a shot right now.

They'll charge $40 for it. That's how much their other DS titles start out at. I don't see why this will be any different.

I have the Chrono Trigger/FFIV PS1 disc. CT's main problem on PS1 is loading for the battles. Even on my PS3 it takes a good 5-7 seconds per battle.

[quote name='Vinny']This is quite possibly the greatest videogame related news to me in the longest time.[/quote]

I totally agree, other than ff7 this is prolly the most wanted remake.

One of my favorite games of all time.

Ayla FTW!

not really sure, but was this the first game to use new game plus?

[quote name='DJPUN']I totally agree, other than ff7 this is prolly the most wanted remake.

One of my favorite games of all time.

Ayla FTW!

not really sure, but was this the first game to use new game plus?
[/QUOTE]

People keep calling it a remake and really I dont think it is. I think this is going to be a port of the SNES version just with an added feature or two. I guess you can think of it is a remake but to me less they alter quite a bit its a port.

As for NEw game + ya as far as I know it was the first game with that feature. If it wasnt it was the first mainstream.

[quote name='linkpwns']The "touch-screen functionality" makes me nervous.
I hope they don't try any drastically stupid shit with that...[/QUOTE]
If it's anything like their Front Mission port, you won't be forced to use the touchscreen (which was a very good thing for that game).

If they aren't changing the graphics, they aren't going to make you use the touch screen. This is gonna be a very straightforward port, it seems, and that's exactly what it should be.

[quote name='Strell']Motherfucker slices the mountain in half.

Two words: Ozzie Pants.

Ozzie Pants, bitches. Ozzie. fucking. Pants.

Haven't been this excited for a game in a long time.[/quote]

Everytime I think about the best parts of this game thats what comes to mind. That and the part when you first fight Magus and the torches slowly pop on in tune with the music. I don't think I ever played a game with sprites and text bubbles that felt so cinematic. It also had like the best fucking music ever.

God I have to stop thinking about it... I think I just got sexually aroused.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Why? So that they could ruin the game's wonderful music with the GBA's woefully inferior sound chip? :

Never played any version of this, so I hope it's more or less a straight port. Hmm, with the amount of time I have to play games, this will last me probably a couple of months, then the DQ ports will last several months.... my wallet will be very happy :)

the fun thing about chrono trigger is that the replay value is off the charts. almost one of a kind in that respect. actually made the most of it's new game plus

[quote name='b3b0p']The sound never bothered me. I don't like the DS with it's gimmicky dual screens and touch. I find it annoying and large. I like the form factor of the GBA micro much more than the DS.[/QUOTE]

Depends on how they use the duel screen and touchscreen in the game. I just hope they don't enforce use of the touchscreen if they do so and just allow you to pick and choose.

If you want some muziks, you really need to check out Chrono Symphonic as well. Provided it's a collection of tracks off of OCRemix, it's still utterly fantastic. One of my favorites is their version of To Far Away Times. It would make the perfect ending song to the game.

bread's done
Back