Chrono Trigger DS Thread - E3 Impressions Post #272

[quote name='BlueLobstah']Depends on how they use the duel screen and touchscreen in the game. I just hope they don't enforce use of the touchscreen if they do so and just allow you to pick and choose.

If you want some muziks, you really need to check out Chrono Symphonic as well. Provided it's a collection of tracks off of OCRemix, it's still utterly fantastic. One of my favorites is their version of To Far Away Times. It would make the perfect ending song to the game.[/QUOTE]

Seeing that it just makes me wish that they do update CT a tad. I dont want them to compltly remake the whole game as they are doing with FFIV per say and I dont think Chrono Trigger should ever get that treatment(Chrono talking would be wrong and his not talking would make alot of stuff weird). However a few well placed cut scenes, a few extra side quests and a few more weapons and skills would be appreciated.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']
Everytime I think about the best parts of this game thats what comes to mind. That and the part when you first fight Magus and the torches slowly pop on in tune with the music. I don't think I ever played a game with sprites and text bubbles that felt so cinematic. It also had like the best fucking music ever.

God I have to stop thinking about it... I think I just got sexually aroused.[/QUOTE]

I love that part, as well, though I think my favorite section is where
you first wind up in the future. The scenery is perfect there. I also love the jailbreak. LOVE it.

There's just too many good parts to list.

If sales for Chrono Trigger DS is high, I'm sure we'll be seeing the original on the VC soon after. And maybe even a remake.

Square Enix is no stranger to the double, triple, quadruple dip.

[quote name='Chacrana']I love that part, as well, though I think my favorite section is where
you first wind up in the future. The scenery is perfect there. I also love the jailbreak. LOVE it.

There's just too many good parts to list.[/QUOTE]

The future had the best freaking music. CT's sound track is the best ever and top of the list is Schala and Zeals themes IMO.

My fav scene would be
Frog whipping out the sword and breaking through the rock on the way to Magus's palace

My fav part of the whole game though is doing the side quests. FFVI and CT just had the best freaking side quests. There were so many of them and they all rewarded you with items that were just absoultle pwnage + story scenes that revealed more about your characters to boot.

People constantly talk about things that are wrong with JRPGs today and to me thats easily one of the biggest things im missing. Far too many games only have like 3 side quests and they only reward you with a weapon or two which is only a few atk points higher then what you have. I pretty much wet myself as a kid the first time I got the Rainbow sword and saw the side effects and stats it bestowed!

[quote name='Chacrana']If they aren't changing the graphics, they aren't going to make you use the touch screen. This is gonna be a very straightforward port, it seems, and that's exactly what it should be.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree that it should be a fairly straight port. While I'm incredibly happy about this news, I'm also aware that S-E is nothing like what it used to (it's all about the metrosexuals these days and wannabe Hollywood scenes). Add in dungeons and whatever else but leave as much alone as possible.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']
Everytime I think about the best parts of this game thats what comes to mind. That and the part when you first fight Magus and the torches slowly pop on in tune with the music. I don't think I ever played a game with sprites and text bubbles that felt so cinematic. It also had like the best fucking music ever.

God I have to stop thinking about it... I think I just got sexually aroused.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that part was fucking amazing. It was so perfectly done too... and the music!

quite possibly the best game of all time.. every may I go through the game.. this will make my journey easier to do (as with time restraints and having to work i can chrono trig in bed)

hopefully Nintendo and Square combine their powers and re-release SMRPG then i could quite possibly die heh.. they need to make a proper sequel to that game.(not paper)

Man I'm looking forward to this. I will say I'm not looking forward to paying the usual Square-Enix premium price :nottalking:

I remember playing my brothers chorno trigger when I was young and I liked playing it alot don't remember everything, but I'm still mad he traded it in to a gamestore so I'll be buying this day one for sure. :drool:

[quote name='Backlash']Never played any version of this, so I hope it's more or less a straight port.[/QUOTE]
I looks like it is. The graphics are the same, and they're only adding one dungeon ans some (optional, I'm sure) touchscreen and wireless features. The only thing missing will be playing it on a TV, which I still feel is the best medium for it's storytelling, but it's still epic regardless.

[quote name='traininvain']the fun thing about chrono trigger is that the replay value is off the charts. almost one of a kind in that respect. actually made the most of it's new game plus[/QUOTE]
I absolutely do not mean this as a put down or disrespectful or anything like that, but I would just like to point out that multiple endings and "new game +"-type features are actually fairly commonplace in computer RPGs. Still, Chrono Trigger definitely has the best variety of endings for any game of it's type, I'd say.

I paid $50 for a burn marked cart only copy from Funcoland 10-15 years ago. I guess I will be paying $40-$50 again, but this time I'll get it on day 1 :D

I made good use of my 75$ in Toys R Us credit as a 10 year old and picked this up.

I wish they would put out an anthology of Square classics for PS3.

Imagine getting the Mana series on one BRD, or Chrono Trigger and Cross? Definitive editions just aren't en vogue I suppose.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']So is it ok to discuss major plot and story spoilers in a thread about a game that isn't out yet but is technically 13 years old?[/QUOTE]

No. I can't be the only one on the site that hasn't played the game, and since I'm still not convinced that this is worth $40 of my money, having the plot spoiled would probably be reason enough for me to ignore the title completely.

[quote name='Chacrana']If they aren't changing the graphics, they aren't going to make you use the touch screen. This is gonna be a very straightforward port, it seems, and that's exactly what it should be.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='banpeikun']no way on the voiceovers[/QUOTE]

Why?

If Final Fantasy IV - a game that, at least to me, has always appeared to be one of the most popular in the franchise - being completely redone in 3D is okay, then why is Chrono Trigger such a sacred cow that a direct port (with just a little extra content, it sounds like) of a 16-bit era game for $40 is acceptable?

Hell, the game's been redone once before, apparently, for the PS1; why is it a good thing that we're probably getting an SNES port instead?

[quote name='yukine']If sales for Chrono Trigger DS is high, I'm sure we'll be seeing the original on the VC soon after. And maybe even a remake.

Square Enix is no stranger to the double, triple, quadruple dip.[/QUOTE]

Again, why?

We haven't seen any of the Final Fantasy games show up on the Virtual Console yet, and the first six have all been ported to the GBA, DS, or both. And the only one of those games that's been remade, FFIV, has two and a half years between its GBA port and the (planned) release of the DS remake.

History seems to indicate the exact opposite - that we won't see the game reappear any time soon. Why are you so sure it will?

A better question, maybe: if the game is going to be a more or less direct port, why release it for $8 on the VC and sell it for a fifth of the price of the DS version? Since I've never played the game and I don't even know if I'd like it, I'd absolutely buy the VC version over the DS if that came to pass, and I'm sure I wouldn't be alone. That's a lot of money Square stands to lose there.

I don't get your question, the early Final Fantasy games have shown up a ton of times.

Hence why I expect Square to initiate a Chrono Trigger blitzkrieg now that they've made a move on the series.

After the DS port, you release a complete remake on the PSP, and follow it up with Chrono Trigger Kart on the Wii. In between those releases I'd expect to see it show up on the Virtual Console at some point as well.

[quote name='yukine']I don't get your question, the early Final Fantasy games have shown up a ton of times.

Hence why I expect Square to initiate a Chrono Trigger blitzkrieg now that they've made a move on the series.

After the DS port, you release a complete remake on the PSP, and follow it up with Chrono Trigger Kart on the Wii. In between those releases I'd expect to see it show up on the Virtual Console at some point as well.[/QUOTE]

They have shown up a ton of times, but never on the Virtual Console, and always with a few years between new versions. From your original post, it sounded like you think that we're going to see a lot of Chrono Trigger in quick succession, which doesn't seem to be how things have gone in the past.

For all we know, this is a one-off title. Given that the series has only had two titles released in the past thirteen years (ignoring all of the Japan-only tangentially related spinoffs listed on Wikipedia), why start a blitz of Chrono Trigger titles now?

If I were running Square, I'd wait to see how the DS title is received. So far, all of the excitement seems to be from people who have played it before, and you'll need a much bigger audience than that to justify continuing the series and making a profit.

Walrus is revoked from this thread until he plays the game.

Which is conveniently scheduled for no earlier than Holiday 2008.

Ack, I've been away from the meat of the internet a few days and totally missed this announcement! I was eating breakfast and literally choked when I read the news. I immediately hopped on my AIM client and bombarded a gaming friend with Chrono-talk. I'm...so...happy!

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Why?

If Final Fantasy IV - a game that, at least to me, has always appeared to be one of the most popular in the franchise - being completely redone in 3D is okay, then why is Chrono Trigger such a sacred cow that a direct port (with just a little extra content, it sounds like) of a 16-bit era game for $40 is acceptable?

Hell, the game's been redone once before, apparently, for the PS1; why is it a good thing that we're probably getting an SNES port instead?[/quote]
So obvious you haven't played it. Well when you do you'll realize why everyone is more than happy to pay $40 for one of the greatest games of all time. Out of all the RPGs that have come out since CT, pretty much none of them have been anywhere near as good.

[quote name='Strell']Walrus is revoked from this thread until he plays the game.

Which is conveniently scheduled for no earlier than Holiday 2008.[/QUOTE]

Fantastic - right about the time my final exams hit and when I'll be looking for a job. :shock:

While I'm thinking about that, how long is the game? I haven't had time to play a full-blown RPG during the school year once during the past three years, and if Chrono Trigger's a long title I'll probably have to ignore it for the first six months so I'd be able to play it.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']So obvious you haven't played it. Well when you do you'll realize why everyone is more than happy to pay $40 for one of the greatest games of all time. Out of all the RPGs that have come out since CT, pretty much none of them have been anywhere near as good.[/QUOTE]

I have admitted that I haven't played it, yes.

I'll probably get the game when it's released (even if I'm only going to be able to play a few hours a week) because I am curious about all of the love it gets, but "best game of all time" declarations always make me skeptical. I'm going to be coming at the game from a completely different viewpoint than most of you - with no childhood spent playing Chrono Trigger over and over and with years of other RPGs and other titles released since, I don't have any emotional attachment to it, and for all I know I may have seen the game's innovations, quirks, or tricks a thousand times over in other, lesser games that cribbed from it.

Honestly, I just don't think I understand why the game is so loved. To borrow Strell's metaphor, consider me that kid who's never had ice cream before. :)

Hold on. Now that I think about it, I never want to pay the Square Enix tax on any game. I still think it's very arrogant and I refuse to support it in principle. Like I said for FFTA 2 and The World Ends With You, I'm waiting for a price drop before I get it.

Now about the CT blitzkreig. Do we really want that? The FFVII and Mana ones were fantastic right? Their whole stance on releasing products as set has pretty much failed. The most critically received one, "Ivalice Alliance" was a redundant, unnecessary rebranding of a group of games people would've bought anyway.

Knowing SE, the 3rd Chrono game will be for cell phones and that'll part of a series of games that'll bury the franchise for good.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Fantastic - right about the time my final exams hit and when I'll be looking for a job. :shock:

While I'm thinking about that, how long is the game? I haven't had time to play a full-blown RPG during the school year once during the past three years, and if Chrono Trigger's a long title I'll probably have to ignore it for the first six months so I'd be able to play it.[/QUOTE]

It's about 20 hours long... but there are multiple endings so it has replay value (New Game + really helps to speed things up). Plus, it's pretty tough to figure out how to get the true ending unless you use a guide.

Honestly, don't listen to everyone telling you how great it is. All that'll do is increase your expectations of the game and will only lead to disappointment. I'd rather you think of it as being a highly recommended RPG but it is over a decade old so it'll probably feel archaic to you if you haven't already played it or aren't used to old school RPGs.

As for the SE tax, has the retail price already been confirmed?

[quote name='DQT']Hold on. Now that I think about it, I never want to pay the Square Enix tax on any game. I still think it's very arrogant and I refuse to support it in principle. Like I said for FFTA 2 and The World Ends With You, I'm waiting for a price drop before I get it.

Now about the CT blitzkreig. Do we really want that? The FFVII and Mana ones were fantastic right? Their whole stance on releasing products as set has pretty much failed. The most critically received one, "Ivalice Alliance" was a redundant, unnecessary rebranding of a group of games people would've bought anyway.

Knowing SE, the 3rd Chrono game will be for cell phones and that'll part of a series of games that'll bury the franchise for good.[/QUOTE]
I haven't thought of it that way before, but agreed. Considering what Squeenix has been doing to their other franchises lately, do fans really want an onslaught of mediocre Chrono spinoffs?

I'm a little late to the thread, but just stopped in to say that I'm glad this is getting a reprint/port to DS so people will shut the fuck up about this game already.

I played it long ago, and yes it has replay, yes it is fun, yes it is good, but for fuck's sake it's a Square RPG. If you've played through any other JRPG you get the story, and if you've played through Secret of Mana/Evermore you get the gameplay. It don't exactly turn the JRPG on its ear.

Enjoy the game so you can devote your full effort toward the SMRPG and/or Mother efforts.

[quote name='blueshinra']I haven't thought of it that way before, but agreed. Considering what Squeenix has been doing to their other franchises lately, do fans really want an onslaught of mediocre Chrono spinoffs?[/quote]

By the way, I loved Chrono Cross. It's my FFVII.

[quote name='dothog'] If you've played through any other JRPG you get the story, and if you've played through Secret of Mana/Evermore you get the gameplay. It don't exactly turn the JRPG on its ear.[/QUOTE]

I think you secretly know none of that is true by a long shot.

Does anyone expect SNES carts of the game to drop in price at auction as a result of the DS release? I'm thinking of picking up the SNES version if it ever gets to an affordable level.

[quote name='dothog']If you've played through any other JRPG you get the story, and if you've played through Secret of Mana/Evermore you get the gameplay.[/QUOTE]

Interestingly, you seem to have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Does anyone expect SNES carts of the game to drop in price at auction as a result of the DS release? I'm thinking of picking up the SNES version if it ever gets to an affordable level.[/QUOTE]

Naw, usually a port of a game doesn't drop prices of an older version. If prices do drop, it'll be marginal.

[quote name='Chacrana']Naw, usually a port of a game doesn't drop prices of an older version. If prices do drop, it'll be marginal.[/QUOTE]

I would not be suprised if the price of the game INCREASES. We always expect a decrease, but the hype and the thrill of owning the original spurned by the rerelease has increased the value of the original in the past. See valkyrie profile.

FOR fuck'S SAKE PEOPLE, IT IS CHRONO TRIGGER

i don't care if it is an EXACT REPLICA of the SNES

DO YOU PEOPLE REALIZE THIS IS GOING TO MEAN PORTABLE CHRONO TRIGGER!?

END OF DISCUSSION

Well.. that was obnoxious. Considering 9 out of the ten fucking pages here were mostly people expressing how insanely excited they are for this game.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']^^ Some like myself prefer the SNES's sound chip, though. ;)[/QUOTE]
If the DS can perfectly duplicate the N64's sound chip, I doubt the SNES will be an issue. This isn't the GBA we're dealing with, here.

[quote name='dothog']I'm a little late to the thread, but just stopped in to say that I'm glad this is getting a reprint/port to DS so people will shut the fuck up about this game already.

I played it long ago, and yes it has replay, yes it is fun, yes it is good, but for fuck's sake it's a Square RPG. If you've played through any other JRPG you get the story, and if you've played through Secret of Mana/Evermore you get the gameplay. It don't exactly turn the JRPG on its ear.

Enjoy the game so you can devote your full effort toward the SMRPG and/or Mother efforts.[/quote]

Wat?

You're kidding, right?
Do you understand what you're saying?

I love SMRPG, but Chrono Trigger easily aces it, in my own opinion.
No, I haven't played Mother.

[quote name='linkpwns']You're kidding, right?
Do you understand what you're saying?[/QUOTE]
I don't think he is, and I don't think he does. Especially the bit about the story being like any other JRPG (wouldn't know about the Mana/Evermore thing). Uhhh... not quite.

Anyway, thought this might be interesting to share: there's an old Gamasutra article where game developers voted on which RPGs "brought the genre forward". Chrono Trigger is number five (out of five, plus a smattering of honorable mentions). The four games that got more votes than CT were all Western RPGs: Deus Ex, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Planescape: Torment, and Fallout.

Well, this announcement has me, shall I say... inspired? Enjoy an afternoon of boredom:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94fXS1pyBig

Frog's Theme has always been once of my favorite themes from Chrono Trigger. I would almost give up anything to hear it orchestrated. I just only hope they don't mess with the themes too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='botticus']Is it odd that my favorite memory of this game was Chrono and Frog's Cross Slash?

Combo attacks were the sickest shit back in the day.[/QUOTE]

You're not alone in that one, it's the biggest thing missing from Chrono Cross.

And yeah the story isn't the greatest, but DAMMIT the battle engine just rocks, and the high BALANCED difficulty makes it awesome. Battles, just great fuckin' battles.

Cut dothog some slack, peeps. He knows what he's saying. 'Course I called him out on it, but that's MO between me and him, as we tend to go after each other and look fabulous while doing it.

He just rilin' us up. It's coo.

[quote name='Chacrana']Interestingly, you seem to have no idea what the hell you're talking about.[/QUOTE]
If you want to be taken seriously, chakarhana, you need to eliminate those dangling modifiers. You've got a lot of spunk, though, and it's gonna take you places. [/jay-z]Toppa da world![/jay-z]

[quote name='Strell']Cut dothog some slack, peeps. He knows what he's saying. 'Course I called him out on it, but that's MO between me and him, as we tend to go after each other and look fabulous while doing it.
[/QUOTE]
Mystikal.jpg

...don't make me leave here with my foot in yo ass. BE COOL.

[quote name='Aleryn']You're not alone in that one, it's the biggest thing missing from Chrono Cross.[/QUOTE]
Chrono Cross had dual and triple techs. In fact Serge and Glenn can do the cross slash.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']I don't understand why people are excited over paying for the same game over and over?

I thought this was Cheap Ass Gamer?

PSP + CFW + CT = Win

And I'm sure glad Nintendo are revolutionising gaming like they promised with ....how many SNES game remakes have there been announced in the last year? Five?

Bold, original new strategy![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']If the DS can perfectly duplicate the N64's sound chip, I doubt the SNES will be an issue. This isn't the GBA we're dealing with, here.[/QUOTE]
And the PSP should have no problem running FF Tactics. You know TOSE is going to be doing the porting

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Chrono Cross had dual and triple techs. In fact Serge and Glenn can do the cross slash.[/QUOTE]

Hardly though. CT had them but if I recall it had less dual and triples then CT despite having a larger cast. I thought CC on pretty much every end was a dissapointing addition to the series.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Hardly though. CT had them but if I recall it had less dual and triples then CT despite having a larger cast. I thought CC on pretty much every end was a dissapointing addition to the series.[/QUOTE]
I agree, but it still had them lol.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Hardly though. CT had them but if I recall it had less dual and triples then CT despite having a larger cast. I thought CC on pretty much every end was a dissapointing addition to the series.[/quote]

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']I agree, but it still had them lol.[/quote]

Cross was in many ways the perfect sequel, ladies.

bread's done
Back