Chrono Trigger DS Thread - E3 Impressions Post #272

Holy crap.

I'm such a sucker. I think this is one of the few games where I'll probably ignore the Squenix tax just to get it on launch day. It's just that good!

[quote name='Awesomeworth']The teaser makes me feel all weird and tingly inside...[/QUOTE]

I got goose bumps just from the ticking clock and my hair kinda stood on end.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']I don't understand why people are excited over paying for the same game over and over?[/quote]

Because not everyone has an SNES or PS One version of Chrono Trigger. Plus, the fact that the DS is portable gives it a new dimension.

Official Announcement Up

CHRONO TRIGGER Returns! The Timeless Classic Teleports to Nintendo DS This Holiday Season

LOS ANGELES, CA USA
Journey Through Time with the RPG Masterpiece that Started It All

LOS ANGELES, July 2 /PRNewswire/ — Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix(TM) interactive entertainment products in North America, announced today that it will release CHRONO TRIGGER(R) in North America this Holiday season. Remastered exclusively for Nintendo DS(TM), this marks the first time that the groundbreaking RPG will be available on a handheld console.

Originally released in 1995 on Super NES(R) and shipping more than 2.5 million copies worldwide, CHRONO TRIGGER has been hailed as one of the greatest games of all time by critics and fans alike. With a unique and multifaceted storyline, the game revolutionized the world of RPGs with
never-before-seen features, including an unprecedented soundtrack and multiple endings determined by side quests and the player's actions.

With artwork by famed manga artist Akira Toriyama and an unprecedented and inspiring musical score created by Yasunori Mitsuda, CHRONO TRIGGER represents the best-in-class of the video game world. This newly revamped edition maintains all of the game's original elements and spirit while
introducing the portability, dual-screen presentation and Touch-Screen functionality of Nintendo DS. Players will soon be able to rediscover the exhilarating RPG experience, breathtaking storyline and innovative gameplay in the palm of their hands.

STORY

When a newly developed teleportation device malfunctions at the Millennial Fair, young Crono must travel through time to rescue his misfortunate companion from an intricate web of past and present perils. The swashbuckling adventure that ensues soon unveils an evil force set to destroy the world, triggering Crono's race against time to change the course of history and bring about a brighter future.

FEATURES

— A masterpiece with an engaging and unparalleled storyline, leading to the discovery of multiple epic conclusions to a journey that transcends time

— An unprecedented and inspiring musical score created by Yasunori Mitsuda

— Intriguing battle system made possible by the unique combination of the Active Time Battle system and Tech skills

— Famed character designer Akira Toriyama lends his signature art style to create the vibrant world that has captivated gamers around the world

— Taking advantage of the Nintendo DS hardware, CHRONO TRIGGER makes its way onto the portable platform with all-new dual screen presentation and Touch-Screen functionality

— A brand new dungeon and a Wireless Play mode adds exciting new dimensions to this timeless classic

CHRONO TRIGGER has not yet been rated. Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board website at http://www.esrb.org for more information about ratings. The official website can be found at
http://na.square-enix.com/ctds.

http://kotaku.com/5021416/square-enix-confirms-chrono-trigger-ds

For one, the GBA port of FFVI was released when the GBA was no longer the big selling system for Nintendo. Chrono Trigger DS comes at a good time for gamers and for the DS. Hype x 1000.

Updated OP.

Keep in mind, Chrono Trigger was never released in Europe, not to mention used copies can go well for over $100+. This is one instance where I believe that the Squeenix tax is almost justified. This is a very good thing.

I just hope they announce it for Europe eventually, even though I'm in the US. I realize people could import it, but it needs to be released there.

Tears came to my eyes when I saw this... I'm serious, tears. This is quite possibly the greatest videogame related news to me in the longest time.

I'm excited to try this as I had a Genesis back in the day. I played a little bit of the game via an emulator to see what the fuss is about and I really liked it...but I didn't keep playing. Can't wait.

[quote name='MarkMan']Yea, it'd be nice for Europe to finally get to have CT...[/QUOTE]

It would be sad for Europe....but at the same time how funny would it be if they STILL didn't ship the game over there. I know they will but would be kinda amusing.

Aye - I think it would be funny if this didn't get released in Europe, just to piss them off, but Chrono Trigger is one of the most perfectly executed games in existence, and I cannot deny them such ambrosia.

You people who haven't played it are in for a treat.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='62t']Europe got Chrono Trigger on PSOne I think.

And Europe can just import as DS is region free.[/QUOTE]

Very true, im pretty sure that the Playstation FFC did get to hit in Europe.

This is great news. I'm not sure how I would feel if this was a 3d remake, so I'm glad it's going to be an enhanced port. Maybe they can try that later on down the road? I bet this will probably be $39.99 too. This is the only Square enix title they'll get me to buy at that price!

cronoani.gif
cronoani.gif
cronoani.gif
cronoani.gif
cronoani.gif
cronoani.gif
cronoani.gif
cronoani.gif
cronoani.gif
cronoani.gif
cronoani.gif
cronoani.gif
cronoani.gif
cronoani.gif

I read somewhere that it'd be the original 2d spirtes and backgrounds. Can't say for sure that it's true, but it's certainly be something!!

^^ @Strell - "Ambrosia" Couldn't think of a better word to describe CT. Well done.

Damn I can't wait even though I've beaten this game many times. I read that it's Winter 2008, is that Japan only for now? How long does it take for them to localize games now?

If you haven't played CT, you're definitely missing out. I would rank CT in the top 3, of course FF6 gets the first spot!

Very excited for this. This is one of the very few games I've ever been able to get my wife to play. I might not tell I have it until I'm done with it....

[quote name='doctorfaustus']What was wrong with FFIII?[/QUOTE]

I didn't like the art style, and I definitely think CT wouldn't benefit from it.

I'm thrilled, and pleasantly surprised that NA and Japan got simultaneous announcements. Sounds like we won't have to wait long, if at all, after the Japanese release.

[quote name='Moxio']I didn't like the art style, and I definitely think CT wouldn't benefit from it.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I agree, everything looked kind of bland in 3D and the colors were very dreary.

yaaaaaaaaaaay.
i love SE, until they announce that this game is $40, then i'll hate them again.

[quote name='botticus']

Oh, I get it, this is another one of those original posts where cheap = illegal (yes, I've played plenty of ROMs, but if we're going to argue that the cheapest way to get any game is to pirate it, then why buy any game?)[/quote]

I already bought the PSOne port. How is putting the PSOne port onto my PSP illegal if I actually own the game?

[quote name='Nephlabobo']I already bought the PSOne port. How is putting the PSOne port onto my PSP illegal if I actually own the game?[/quote]

I would say probably the DMCA. AFAIK, it covers pretty much everything...DVDs you own to portable device...PS1 to PSP or anything else...

It blows, but it's the law.

[quote name='mcelfour']I would say probably the DMCA. AFAIK, it covers pretty much everything...DVDs you own to portable device...PS1 to PSP or anything else...

It blows, but it's the law.[/quote]

Not in Canada! (At least not yet!)

After months of searching, ebay bids, and trying to handle the crappy PS1 port, it is finally coming. I can't wait. I did not play RPGs as a young-in, but when I got introduced to CT, that changed. I think I might even pre-order this. -- Crazy no?

Call me skeptical.

[quote name='Moxio']I didn't like the art style, and I definitely think CT wouldn't benefit from it.[/QUOTE]

I've never played Chrono Trigger, but if it's in 3D that looks like FF3 did...I might pass. I figure there's probably some reason why the game is so popular, but if they fuck up the port by turning it into a game that it's not, then it might not be the best way to introduce myself to the game. :whistle2:k

The only way 3D works for CT is if that fan-made project from a few years ago were to be completed, since it was approaching the current DBZ fighting games in terms of graphics at the time, but without using cell shading (DBZ being used here because Akira Toriyama's style is prevalent in both). Square brought the C&D letter hammer down on it a while ago, despite that it looked incredible at the time, and would probably still look nice today.

The DS simply wouldn't be able to handle the graphics of CT with 3D. It would look 10X worse than an FF title, because the characters and enemies in CT are pretty detailed in their 2D incarnations. I wouldn't want them to take the FF3/4 route on this game.

I'd settle for a straight port when it comes to graphics. If Square wants to up the ante and release, say, a PSP version later on with hand-drawn graphics, or a console version with full 3D, that would be like delicious candy as well. And really, they might do that, and I'll snatch them up on day one. Chrono Trigger is just that good, and again - it is perfectly executed. Every last detail was pored over immensely, and the result is a game that looks crafted, not simply made or programmed.

You people who have not played it are stabbing multiple wounds in my heart, and I weep for you. However, again, you are in for a treat.

Imagine asking someone to play one of your favorite - and highly revered - games for the first time. Or perhaps showing them ice cream the first time.

The feeling is similar.

OMG... Although I really want to see this game remade in complete 3D in next gen console, I won't complain at all by this awesome news!

Thanks op and square

I don't understand the FF3 graphics hate. I know that more and more people are starting to not understand this concept, but a game doesn't need the lastest PS3/360 graphics to be good.

That said, I want them to update the graphics, but not necessarily make it 3D. It would be best if they kept the same 2D style and just tightened up the graphics to be beautiful. No matter what happens, I'd buy it though.

[quote name='Strell']The only way 3D works for CT is if that fan-made project from a few years ago were to be completed[/quote]

That's what turned me off to the 3D thought. I don't think Crono's hair translates well to the 3rd dimension.

[quote name='Strell']
I'd settle for a straight port when it comes to graphics. If Square wants to up the ante and release, say, a PSP version later on with hand-drawn graphics, or a console version with full 3D, that would be like delicious candy as well. [/quote]

And just as pointless as this release.

[quote name='mcelfour']I would say probably the DMCA. AFAIK, it covers pretty much everything...DVDs you own to portable device...PS1 to PSP or anything else...

It blows, but it's the law.[/QUOTE]

Though wouldn't that fall under the exemption that says it's okay to do that sorta stuff for obsolete video games? The PS1 hasn't been around in a looong time.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']And just as pointless as this release.[/QUOTE]

If it's so pointless, why even bother coming into this thread?

It's classic Square mantra at work here. They've starved us on CT for years and now they are giving us a chance to play it on a portable.

You're calling it useless, but there's lots of people excited. So go piss on the parade elsewhere - you're not adding anything to this conversation.

Which is funny - useless posts from you about something you claim is useless.

And for the record, I'm not even saying I disagree with your overall argument. But that doesn't change that I'm looking forward to this. The PSOne release was the same way - you paid for animated cutscenes. If they tried that shit today people would decry it and say "Oh I'll just watch them on youtube when someone posts them." Ok, great. No need to condemn everyone excited about it. Hand drawn graphics wouldn't make a PSP port exceptional, but it would be paying homage to a game I (and many others) love, as well as giving us another artistic vision of it.

Until they start releasing Chrono Trigger Leaf Green and Chrono Trigger Fire Red, or Chrono Trigger Zerker x Devil, or Chrono Trigger 09 AND Chrono Trigger 09 College Teams Edition, I'll happily take a port to a system I can carry around all over the place since it'll have one of the best games of all time available to it.

We just got hit with the greatest news (Videogame news wise) this year, Twice within one week of each other

1. Diablo III announced

2. Chrono Trigger DS announced and coming this holiday season ( so withen 5 months at the latest)

I hold Chrono Trigger dear to my heart, it help introduce me to RPG's, I can not wait

[quote name='Strell']If it's so pointless, why even bother coming into this thread?[/quote]

Because it's a forum and I have just as much right to express my opinion as anyone else. I'm not throwing around insults or personal attacks, I'm trying to draw attention to a problem.

[quote name='Nephlabobo']Because it's a forum and I have just as much right to express my opinion as anyone else. I'm not throwing around insults or personal attacks, I'm trying to draw attention to a problem.[/QUOTE]

Well gee. Right now the "problem" exists for you and basically you only.

Looks to me like lots of others are happy with it. There's even noobs who will get a chance to play it now. And don't bother saying "they've always had the chance" because that argument is a little trite.

You're acting like they release this game every year.

I'd rather they not do this, actually. CT is my favorite game, and I'd rather they just leave it alone, instead of even possibly infecting it with any of S-E's current AIDS.

I'd rather be playing Chrono Trigger: Resurrection, honestly. Thanks a lot about that, S-E.

bread's done
Back