Cloverfield Movie Thread - DVD Out on April 22nd

im not seeing how people were bored or thought it was terrible. so many memorable scenes and "holy shit" moments. You also have to keep in mind that movies in jan and feb are the worst of the worst, it was a nice suprise to have a summer-like blockbuster mixed in with the bottom barrel crap like mad money, meet the spartans etc etc.

I want to see this movie badly. I absolutely love and am creeped out by huge realistic monsters (not godzilla) like loch ness, megalodon , cthulhu etc. Especially if they come from the ocean.

Also as much as I love FPS, some of them give me horrendous motions sickness. I have a feeling this movie will make me very ill. I also hate movie theaters and loud people or people who eat next to me.

I have tried to read up on all the sites, but have missed some of it since they took them down. I have a feeling my imagination is filling in the blanks with something more horrible than what the story actually is and I will be let down, but I still want to see it to see if it lives up to my expectations.

Anyone recommend any good over the counter motion sickness medication?

[quote name='ITDEFX']He must have counted the trailers as part of the film's running time.[/QUOTE]

45 mins of trailers ? that would sucked LOL

I liked the film, but thought the ending was just so-so. Some jerk people in the theaters kept talking and laughing though and it really brought down the experience

[quote name='SoulReaver']I liked the film, but thought the ending was just so-so. Some jerk people in the theaters kept talking and laughing though and it really brought down the experience[/quote]

This is exactly why I never go to theatres any more.

Look forward to seeing this one at home when the DVD releases.

[quote name='Plinko']This is exactly why I never go to theatres any more.

Look forward to seeing this one at home when the DVD releases.[/QUOTE]

That's why you could go to the movie when the hype dies down, but it does suck when some douchebag ruins the movie.

[quote name='SoulReaver']I liked the film, but thought the ending was just so-so. Some jerk people in the theaters kept talking and laughing though and it really brought down the experience[/QUOTE]

i would of talked to the manager after the show was over and see if you could of got your money back or at least free coupons out of it. you could complain and see what happened. I know a few months back my cousin went to a show were some idoit ran they mouths on a cell phone and they were told to leave the theather. When they refused to the manager called the cops and they were taken out of the place. The manager gave everyone in the showing a few free movie coupons and some stuff from the food snack bar

Saw it last night. Thought it was good.

They dragged the party out way too long.

Would of liked a bit more of an ending too.

Did anyone catch the audio after the credits?
Supposedly sounds like Rob, and says It's Still out There

Also, anyone see anything in the last Coney Island shot?
Supposedly something is seen falling from the sky into the water.
(Which was a month before the monster showed up)

it was fuckIN gay. dont waste your $$$ on it. absolutley terrible. I am Legend>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>pooping>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cloverfield

'woah the people behind lost and felicity! im there! if only they had some dawsons creek actors involved this movie wouldve got an oscar'

I knew this movie was bargin bin material when I first heard of it.

First person is a good idea thats hardly been used most likely wont be used again for some time after this.

[quote name='csidegamer']
Did anyone catch the audio after the credits?
Supposedly sounds like Rob, and says It's Still out There

Also, anyone see anything in the last Coney Island shot?
Supposedly something is seen falling from the sky into the water.
(Which was a month before the monster showed up)
[/QUOTE]
Not trying to be hostile here, but you're seriously like the 20th person to bring these two points up.

[quote name='slidecage']45 mins of trailers ? that would sucked LOL[/QUOTE]

Depending on how good the trailers were, hell I forget the movie, but I recall sitting through 20 minutes of trailers AND commercials in some movies.

That was really well done.

I know I am probably not the first to say this, but:

Did anyone pick up how at the beginning of the movie, the whole thing was about having an interview with the camera, and finally at the end the last two finally got their chance at an interview?

I hateeee those emo pieces of worthless shit that just go to movies to try to show off to any girls in the room that they are awesome by shouting at the screen penis jokes...

Go see Alvin and the Chipmunks instead next time! Just because its PG13 doesn't mean any peice of shit puberty newcomer should go see it.

Sorry... I had those annoying kids in my theater. I hate those kids. And I just think every movie that doesn't involve talking chipmunks should be atleast 20 years of age+

Also, I kept thinking about damn video games during the movie.

The whole camera thing - Halo 3 theater
They bomb the monster - 5 kill streak in COD 4
The crawling things that bit the girl - Gears of War

And so many more!

I loved this movie. I will be going to see it again at least two more times.

I'm not going to knock on the people that didn't like it. I don't see how you didn't like it, but you didn't, and that's cool. I just thought it was fantastic. I felt tired after seeing it.. mainly, my legs, it felt like I had been running a bit. I got way into the movie.. it was fantastic.

It didn't help that an alarm was going off when I got out of the theatre. It sounded like the same alarm when
they jumped from the one building to the other
. I almost flipped out.. it freaked me out.

[quote name='help1']Also, I kept thinking about damn video games during the movie.

The whole camera thing - Halo 3 theater
They bomb the monster - 5 kill streak in COD 4
The crawling things that bit the girl - Gears of War

And so many more!
[/quote]
Yea, I can't wait till games are like this movie.

Where you are basically dropped into this open world and you have a bunch of friends and you can decide whatever you want to do. Go find the girl? Go to the Choppers?

But in a way where it wont suck. Haha.

And I just came back from my second screening of the film.
Did anyone else have a bunch of kids (like ages 4-9) in their theater?? What the hell is with that!? Don't bring your KIDS to a movie like this...

I was thinking it would be cool if Cloverfield was linked with LOST.
=)

[quote name='DarkNessBear']

And I just came back from my second screening of the film.
Did anyone else have a bunch of kids (like ages 4-9) in their theater?? What the hell is with that!? Don't bring your KIDS to a movie like this...[/QUOTE]
Yeah, they sat in the front row. And they wouldn't stop talking, so some guy just yelled out Shut the fuck Up. Then everybody clapped

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Did anyone else have a bunch of kids (like ages 4-9) in their theater?? What the hell is with that!? Don't bring your KIDS to a movie like this...[/QUOTE]
There were a few, like, 10-year-olds, all by themselves, sitting behind me. At the midnight premiere. Oi...

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']There were a few, like, 10-year-olds, all by themselves, sitting behind me. At the midnight premiere. Oi...[/quote]

Ugh, it's ridiculous. I've never acted like that during a movie.

Just saw the movie, and wow is all I can say. Fully lived up to my expectations AND more. This movie = Blair Witch 1 + Independence Day. Wow!

Ok, I am now 100% sure that there are two versions of this movie.

One where it is an insane roller coaster ride through New York during a monster attack and one where its just 2 hours of an Asian man shuffling cards with different hats on.

I am convinced.

talking about previews. anyone else think Star trek will be a major flop. i mean taking it back way before part 1. BLEH. the tv series failed and so will the movie.

[quote name='Scorch']I loved this movie. I will be going to see it again at least two more times.[/quote]

:dunce: You could just but the DVD for the cost of seeing it 2-3 times.

I doubt I'll like the movie, I hate shaky cams. I however won't go see the movie and then come and bitch about the camera style because you have to be an idiot not to know how it was gonig to be going into the movie.

Monster's origins from Matt Reeves himself:

Brian C. Gibson here,

During my conversation with director Matt Reeves, he indicated to look at something in the water and that there would be a splash. We thought it would make sense, maybe something came down from space and hit. Matt Reeves did indicate this this monster is a baby, a pissed off and confused baby that is looking for mommy. When viewing the scene again, it actually looks just like the monster splashes the water, and not splashes down into it. Its just a little baby monster playing in the harbor at that point, and somehow over the one month’s time evolves into the Cloverfield monster to capsize a boat and destroy the city.

I hear all of you asking about a sequel…Want to know what the director said? Wait for my next post here shortly and I will tell you exactly what he said…

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/exclusive-we-know-where-the-cloverfield-monster-came-from.php

I guess that settles it.

[quote name='bigdaddy']I doubt I'll like the movie, I hate shaky cams. I however won't go see the movie and then come and bitch about the camera style because you have to be an idiot not to know how it was gonig to be going into the movie.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

Saw it again for the 2nd time with my wife last night...Still enjoyed it as though it was my first. What a great film. This time around I did notice the last scene with the thing falling from the sky and causing a big splash...At that point we can pretty much assume it came from space.

ok, just came back from seeing it.

The movie was..................OK.... not bad, not good....just OK.

I did felt a bit of motion sickness in the first 20 minutes of the movie.

Rob and company are a bunch of dumb fucks. Sure lets follow Rob to save Beth who may be already dead.

Personally if this happened in real life, it's every man and woman for themselves. Just get the fuck out of the city and don't stop for anything or anyone.

I liked the Sporadic coverage of the monster. That's how it should have been from start to finish. Seeing it at the end when it was killing HUD felt like it was thrown in at the last minute.
The little creatures reminded me of the aliens in Starship Troopers.

The bomb used to kill(?) the creature was most likely a Thermobaric weapon such as the GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast bomb or a Massive Ordnance Penetrator. I seriously doubt it was nuclear. Because one I doubt the military would detonate such device in a still partially populated city. Second if it was nuclear there would have been no way anyone would have been able to recover the camera or SD card.

Marlanea exploding from the bite... ouch what a bad way to check out.

Yes it's true that the SD card shouldn't have tape over laps. Very surprised that the data wasn't corrupted.

Will I see this movie again? Yes in a few weeks. Was this the best movie of the year? No. It's a good way to start the year, but I doubt this is the movie 2008...we still got a long way to go folks.
I did like the score at the end.

Sequel.......... nah... don't need one.

LOVED the STAR TREK Teaser trailer.... sent chills down my spine. Can't wait for that.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Saw it again for the 2nd time with my wife last night...Still enjoyed it as though it was my first. What a great film. This time around I did notice the last scene with the thing falling from the sky and causing a big splash...At that point we can pretty much assume it came from space.[/QUOTE]

Really? I kept checking the sky and water in that scene... couldn't see anything. Was it small that you could barely notice it?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Really? I kept checking the sky and water in that scene... couldn't see anything. Was it small that you could barely notice it?[/quote]
Its pretty small but still noticeable. If you look at the right of the screen a little left of the boat you will see it in the far distance falling and causing a splash.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Its pretty small but still noticeable. If you look at the right of the screen a little left of the boat you will see it in the far distance falling and causing a splash.[/QUOTE]

ah damn.

I was checking that area but I was all the way back of the theater, like below of the projector.

Oh well.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Ok, I am now 100% sure that there are two versions of this movie.

One where it is an insane roller coaster ride through New York during a monster attack and one where its just 2 hours of an Asian man shuffling cards with different hats on.

I am convinced.[/quote]

seriously. People love it or hate it.

Everyone is a critic, you know you are allowed to enjoy things right people? You dont have to hate everything because people will make fun of you for your opinion.

Would it of been better if it was starring adam sandler and vince vaughn?

This movie needed a cast of newies to let yourself relate and think that this event actually happend.

And people, if you stop and think for one moment, if they did any of your suggestions it wouldnt of been a movie. It would be 10 minutes long and they would run to a chopper and leave.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Saw it again for the 2nd time with my wife last night...Still enjoyed it as though it was my first. What a great film. This time around I did notice the last scene with the thing falling from the sky and causing a big splash...At that point we can pretty much assume it came from space.[/quote]

I thought so too, but the viral marketing explains that the object that crashed into the ocean was a satellite or piece of a satellite. That company that makes Slusho, and owns the Tanker ship from the beginning of the movie was recovering the satellite from the ocean floor, either unearthing the monster, or luring it to that location, thus bringing it to NYC.

[quote name='Puffa469']I thought so too, but the viral marketing explains that the object that crashed into the ocean was a satellite or piece of a satellite. That company that makes Slusho, and owns the Tanker ship from the beginning of the movie was recovering the satellite from the ocean floor, either unearthing the monster, or luring it to that location, thus bringing it to NYC.[/quote]

Maybe it was dormant and the satellite hitting the ocean floor woke it up...or something.

I haven't really found anything in the viral marketing sites, I looked at them for 30m got bored since I didn't find anything.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Maybe it was dormant and the satellite hitting the ocean floor woke it up...or something.

I haven't really found anything in the viral marketing sites, I looked at them for 30m got bored since I didn't find anything.[/quote]

Most of that stuff is archived at cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com

Heres a bit of backstory:

Before hitting NYC, the monster trashed a mid Atlantic drilling platform. The platform was owned by this Japanese company that makes the drink Slusho. Slusho contains a secret ingrediant called 'Sea Bed Nectar' which they drill from the bottom of the ocean. It is theorized that this nectar is a secretion of the monster, or its nest, or something the monster does not want taken from the bottom of the ocean. So it wakes up, trashes the station, and follows that Tanker ship that capsizes in the beginning of the film. The tanker is owned by the same Japanese company, and is probably full of nectar.

Also, the Army/Government knew the monster was on the way to NY, cos they fought it at the drilling station earleir, and pics were released of sonar scans showing something huge heading toward NYC. That explains how they were in the city ready to fight soo quickly.

Also, the company that Rob is moving to Japan to work for is Slusho, a drink made with sea bed nectar. Slushos parent company is Tagruato, their logo is on the tanker in the beginning of the film.

Not sure how the satellite fits into all that, but the main gist is that this monster is pissed that Tagruato us sucking up all its nectar from the bottom of the ocean.

[quote name='Puffa469']Most of that stuff is archived at cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com

Before hitting NYC, the monster trashed a mid Atlantic drilling platform. The platform was owned by this Japanese company that makes the drink Slusho. Slusho contains a secret ingrediant called 'Sea Bed Nectar' which they drill from the bottom of the ocean. It is theorized that this nectar is a secretion of the monster, or its nest, or something the monster does not want taken from the bottom of the ocean. So it wakes up, trashes the station, and follows that Tanker ship that capsizes in the beginning of the film. The tanker is owned by the same Japanese company, and is probably full of nectar.

Also, the Army/Government knew the monster was on the way to NY, cos they fought it at the drilling station earleir, and pics were released of sonar scans showing something huge heading toward NYC. That explains how they were in the city ready to fight soo quickly.

Also, the company that Rob is moving to Japan to work for is Slusho, a drink made with sea bed nectar. Slushos parent company is Tagruato, their logo is on the tanker in the beginning of the film.

Not sure how the satellite fits into all that, but the main gist is that this monster is pissed that Tagruato us sucking up all its nectar from the bottom of the ocean.
[/quote]

Thanks for the summary.

[quote name='Puffa469']Most of that stuff is archived at cloverfieldclues.blogspot.com

[/QUOTE]

Well see the backstory sounds better than the main story. I tried to keep myself from reading into the VM stuff.

I didnt read or learn about any of that stuff until after the movie, and Im glad I did it that way. I think people should go into the movie blind. There are no answers in the film, cos all we know or see is what that camera sees, what the characters see, and I think the film works perfectly on that level.

[quote name='deadite76']Monster's origins from Matt Reeves himself:

Brian C. Gibson here,

During my conversation with director Matt Reeves, he indicated to look at something in the water and that there would be a splash. We thought it would make sense, maybe something came down from space and hit. Matt Reeves did indicate this this monster is a baby, a pissed off and confused baby that is looking for mommy. When viewing the scene again, it actually looks just like the monster splashes the water, and not splashes down into it. Its just a little baby monster playing in the harbor at that point, and somehow over the one month’s time evolves into the Cloverfield monster to capsize a boat and destroy the city.

I hear all of you asking about a sequel…Want to know what the director said? Wait for my next post here shortly and I will tell you exactly what he said…

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/news/exclusive-we-know-where-the-cloverfield-monster-came-from.php

I guess that settles it.[/QUOTE]

I don't see what that "settles." No where in any of Filmschoolrejects' articles and interviews does Reeves specifically and flat-out say that the final scene depicts an alien landing on earth. He's still being as vague as ever.

In fact, all Reeves does is suggest that people just keep an eye out for the splashdown, and that's really all he has to say about it. He offers absolutely no other information about what the splashdown really is; he certainly does not go so far as to confirm that it's an alien arriving.

And even if he did confirm it, I don't really think that would "settle" anything. JJ Abrams, who's as big of a creative influence on Cloverfield as anyone, said that the monster has been living in the ocean for thousands of years. So instead of settling anything, that would just confuse matters further.

bread's done
Back