Cloverfield Movie Thread - DVD Out on April 22nd

I liked the movie a lot. To tell you the truth, the moving camera pissed me off. I'm just used to having professional camera men with their still cameras filiming. Surprisingly the camera they used in the movie lasted quit a long time on battery life and it must have kicked ass. Never seen a camcorder that had nightvision.

[quote name='DarkRider23']I liked the movie a lot. To tell you the truth, the moving camera pissed me off. I'm just used to having professional camera men with their still cameras filiming. Surprisingly the camera they used in the movie lasted quit a long time on battery life and it must have kicked ass. Never seen a camcorder that had nightvision.[/quote]

10-15 years ago there was a problem with night vision in camcorders, it you set the thing you could actually see through people's clothings.

[quote name='DarkRider23']I liked the movie a lot. To tell you the truth, the moving camera pissed me off. I'm just used to having professional camera men with their still cameras filiming. Surprisingly the camera they used in the movie lasted quit a long time on battery life and it must have kicked ass. Never seen a camcorder that had nightvision.[/quote]

The batterlife might be a valid complaint, but night vision?

You've never seen that Paris Hilton tape have you..

The one contrivance that you kinda have to accept to enjoy the movie is the magic camera. It has a super battery, night vision, a light, but no image stabilization.

It also uses SD cards, which everyone calls 'tapes' in the movie. And if it was an SD card, it wouldnt tape over the old material like it does, it would create a new files everytime you used it until it was full.

its just magic and thats that. ;)

[quote name='method47']The batterlife might be a valid complaint[/QUOTE]
Again, if Rob's camera was a higher-end "prosumer" camera, then it's perfectly reasonable for it to have lasted the mere 75 minutes that it was filming. And since we have no evidence that Rob DOESN'T have a nice several-thousand-dollar camera, there really is nothing to criticize about the battery life thing. It's not a plot hole or anything.

How is the battery life a "complaint"?
The whole movie was what was on that videotape, obviously found in the wreckage by the government at some point. The movie was 84 minutes. It is very possible to shoot an hour and change of footage without the battery dying. You would assume they charged the battery before the party, or put a new one in.

Remember, Hud did not shoot for the entire 7 hours of this ordeal. For example, after the monster's tail hit the bridge and everyone was panicking, the video suddenly cut to them back in the streets. At some point Hud must have stopped the camcorder for a bit while they were running back into Manhattan. There were several other "time lapses" where Hud turned off the camera.

You have to think of this movie as someone's home video recording. It's very realistic that Hud had to turn off the camera at various times.

I don't accept the whole

Company drilling and taking out the nectar thingy that pisses off the creature that makes it follow the tanker to NYC. When it arrives the first thing it does it blow something big up (couldn't be the tanker because the tanker is seen but it doesn't look like it still on fire) and then it swipes the statue of liberty head off instead of wrecking the entire thing. The statue of liberty would be a lot easier to trash than a tall building.

Apparently this creature has a cloaking field capable of masking its visibility and moving sounds. It is able to allude the army and Air Force off and on. Something that big causing that much havoc can't go unnoticed like that for very long....yet at the end of the movie the last three didn't notice it until HUD looks up and gets chomped by it. No audio warning what so ever and then bam, it's right above them.

Something caused that creature to stay in the city for hours.... it was looking for something, other wise it would have made a break for the waters again.

But a last we will never get these questions answered unless the an official novelization is released. A prequel Japanese Magna book is set to be released later on overseas. Bah.

Thinking about it, this movie could have been just as effective if it shot like a traditional movie. At times it felt like this movie could have been better suited for a 20 minute amusement park ride than what was presented.

[quote name='moiety']How is the battery life a "complaint"?
The whole movie was what was on that videotape, obviously found in the wreckage by the government at some point. The movie was 84 minutes. It is very possible to shoot an hour and change of footage without the battery dying. You would assume they charged the battery before the party, or put a new one in.

Remember, Hud did not shoot for the entire 7 hours of this ordeal. For example, after the monster's tail hit the bridge and everyone was panicking, the video suddenly cut to them back in the streets. At some point Hud must have stopped the camcorder for a bit while they were running back into Manhattan. There were several other "time lapses" where Hud turned off the camera.

You have to think of this movie as someone's home video recording. It's very realistic that Hud had to turn off the camera at various times.
[/QUOTE]
I think that a lot of individuals are just desperate to think that they personally "discovered" something about the movie, and are the first to share it with others. Other cases in point:
Everyone pointing out the splashdown at the end, and the voice clip after the credits.

[quote name='moiety']How is the battery life a "complaint"?

[/QUOTE]

However
It's not the battery life that bugs me about the camera, it's that must have been one damn sturdy camera housed in some shatter proof box. It was dropped a number of times and a lot of shit was going on including explosions and dust and dirt, yet it never once gets dirty enough for it to need lens cleaning until blood is splattered on it. Once that happens, then HUD finally cleans it. That camera should have been damaged by now. It should have been destroyed when the creature chomped HUD.

You know if the intro didn't state it was an SD card, I would have said the camera had a hard drive in it which would store hours of HQ video without the need for tape.

[quote name='ITDEFX']But a last we will never get these questions answered unless the an official novelization is released.[/quote]
Just checking, but you don't actually expect them to do a novelization of this movie, do you?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Thinking about it, this movie could have been just as effective if it shot like a traditional movie.[/quote]
Then you totally missed the point of this movie. This movie is the story of a few people surviving a monster attack that they know almost nothing about, and what they experienced during it. The movie's goal is not to really relate the larger story of what is going on in the larger scale of the entire incident. That's what this specific movie was, and for people that don't like that perspective, then there's several dozen Godzilla flicks waiting in the wings that should get you your fix.

Not to discredit your opinion, but to me, saying that Cloverfield would have been as effective as a traditional God's Eye movie, is like saying that Lord of the Rings would have been as effective if we'd seen the events of those films through the perspective of Frodo's cell phone camera.

Cloverfield from God's Eye simply would not have been the same movie at all, and honestly, it really would have been "just another" monster movie, not too fundamentally different from Godzilla, The Host, et cetera. Honestly, what would set it apart? Aside from pre-release secrecy and the perspective of the film, nothing else is really honestly that unusual about Cloverfield, outstanding effects, acting, and production work aside.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Just checking, but you don't actually expect them to do a novelization of this movie, do you?

Then you totally missed the point of this movie. This movie is the story of a few people surviving a monster attack that they know almost nothing about, and what they experienced during it. The movie's goal is not to really relate the larger story of what is going on in the larger scale of the entire incident. That's what this specific movie was, and for people that don't like that perspective, then there's several dozen Godzilla flicks waiting in the wings that should get you your fix.

Not to discredit your opinion, but to me, saying that Cloverfield would have been as effective as a traditional God's Eye movie, is like saying that Lord of the Rings would have been as effective if we'd seen the events of those films through the perspective of Frodo's cell phone camera.

Cloverfield from God's Eye simply would not have been the same movie at all, and honestly, it really would have been "just another" monster movie, not too fundamentally different from Godzilla, The Host, et cetera. Honestly, what would set it apart? Aside from pre-release secrecy and the perspective of the film, nothing else is really honestly that unusual about Cloverfield, outstanding effects, acting, and production work aside.
[/QUOTE]

This has been done in another movie before: Following a group of people during a crisis situation. I can't think of the movies at the moment, but it has been done before. Having a story told in first person point of view does limit us too much to what's going on, which is good and bad.

Overall I am going to see this movie again later on.

I think having a novelization to the movie would have answered more questions as they tend to give you stuff that was cut from the movie. But we will never get one sadly :(

Can we atleast get the soundtrack to it? I am sure it can be released with music heard from Rob's party, but give us that "ROAR" track. Seems the musician was ready to go if this movie wasn't shot in 1st person mode.

I just got back from seeing this movie.

Words can not explain how fucking dissapointed I am. That was the single worst movie I have ever seen.

Also. Since I am the only one on this entire site that is an actually cameraman let me comment on the film.

No there is no camera in the fucking world that would last that long. All pro sumer camera use a lithium type battery. Those only last 2 hours if your lucky. Thats if you do not do anything other than shoot.

As seen here.

http://www.expocameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=272822&start=1

My proffessional grade 1,000 dollar anton bauer battery only last 3 hours. If I use a sun gun it last around 2.5 if I am lucky and not doing a lot of in camera work that requires more watts. As seen here.

http://www.antonbauer.com/hytron.htm

So cut that shit out. I know cameras and new york but be on some cutting edge super cameras that I would love to own myself.

P2? See this is where I can tell you guys dont know what you are talking about. Do you know how much P2 cards cost? Around 1700 bucks. Thats more than 90% of every prosumer camera out there. That and the fact that P2 cards only shoot at most 30 min. As seen here.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonics-P2-Format-Explained.htm

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/P2/

I agree that it seems most of you are just grasping at straws here. The movie had so many plot holes and holloywood cliches it made me sick.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
Just checking, but you don't actually expect them to do a novelization of this movie, do you?

[/quote]
Not to cut you down or anything but if I have to hear one more person tell me "I missed the point" of a god damn movie I will punch a baby in the face with a kitten.

But on to my actually impression of the movie.

I cant believe this movie was only about this douche bag trying to fan a girl he nailed. He loses a brother which he didnt even seem to care at all about in favor of finding Beth. I thought the shakey cam wasnt going to work and I was right. It was mind numbing annoying. Plus the fact that Hud had to chime in with a useless pot shot every 5 seconds for comic relief.

Nothing in the movie even made sense at all. How is it that Lilly is running around in high heels for the entire movie? Your telling me she out ran monsters and climbed a building wearing 8 inch heels? Also your run into a electronic store and all you get is a damn cell phone battery? One that is magically charge even off the shelf? How about a flash light? Or a GPS? Or anything actually useful.

I am still kinda in awe of how bad the movie was...that is all I have to say for now.

You want to know how his camera lasted that long and it wasn't crushed? Because it's a fuckING MOVIE, GUYS! IT'S A MOVIE. It's NOT REAL. It completely blows my mind that you guys are arguing over battery life in a camera and comparing it to the real world versus just accepting a
huge dinosaur lizard octopus water lizard that shits out insanely hyper parasitic spider monkey demons with huge ass teeth
!

[quote name='Soodmeg']I just got back from seeing this movie.

Words can not explain how fucking dissapointed I am. That was the single worst movie I have ever seen.

Also. Since I am the only one on this entire site that is an actually cameraman let me comment on the film.

No there is no camera in the fucking world that would last that long. All pro sumer camera use a lithium type battery. Those only last 2 hours if your lucky. Thats if you do not do anything other than shoot.

As seen here.

http://www.expocameras.com/prodetails.asp?prodid=272822&start=1

My proffessional grade 1,000 dollar anton bauer battery only last 3 hours. If I use a sun gun it last around 2.5 if I am lucky and not doing a lot of in camera work that requires more watts. As seen here.

http://www.antonbauer.com/hytron.htm

So cut that shit out. I know cameras and new york but be on some cutting edge super cameras that I would love to own myself.

P2? See this is where I can tell you guys dont know what you are talking about. Do you know how much P2 cards cost? Around 1700 bucks. Thats more than 90% of every prosumer camera out there. That and the fact that P2 cards only shoot at most 30 min. As seen here.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonics-P2-Format-Explained.htm

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/P2/

I agree that it seems most of you are just grasping at straws here. The movie had so many plot holes and holloywood cliches it made me sick.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100%... I expect the same argument from my co-worker who teaches TV Production on Tuesday since he said he would check it out on the weekend.

Do you think it would have been better if they had the time code / date and time stamp up and running like in the beginning of the movie? I was expecting that but it didn't happen. Using the light would drain the battery quickly, the night vision mode would have killed that battery even quicker.

And why wasn't the video grainy? Every consumer level camera I have used gets grainy in low level shots.

[quote name='Scorch']You want to know how his camera lasted that long and it wasn't crushed? Because it's a fuckING MOVIE, GUYS! IT'S A MOVIE. It's NOT REAL. It completely blows my mind that you guys are arguing over battery life in a camera and comparing it to the real world versus just accepting a
huge dinosaur lizard octopus water lizard that shits out insanely hyper parasitic spider monkey demons with huge ass teeth
![/quote]

Well there is genric cop out number 4. Once people start going to this you know they are grasping for anything to justify a movie.

Also you are the ones who are trying to explain how the camera lasted that long. All I did is prove that its wrong. Again I think I am the only actually cameraman on this site. So it pains me to see poeple just making up random things about camera to justify a shitty moive.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Not to cut you down or anything but if I have to hear one more person tell me "I missed the point" of a god damn movie I will punch a baby in the face with a kitten.

But on to my actually impression of the movie.

I cant believe this movie was only about this douche bag trying to fan a girl he nailed. He loses a brother which he didnt even seem to care at all about in favor of finding Beth. I thought the shakey cam wasnt going to work and I was right. It was mind numbing annoying. Plus the fact that Hud had to chime in with a useless pot shot every 5 seconds for comic relief.

Nothing in the movie even made sense at all. How is it that Lilly is running around in high heels for the entire movie? Your telling me she out ran monsters and climbed a building wearing 8 inch heels? Also your run into a electronic store and all you get is a damn cell phone battery? One that is magically charge even off the shelf? How about a flash light? Or a GPS? Or anything actually useful.

I am still kinda in awe of how bad the movie was...that is all I have to say for now.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed with you again.

Rob was a fucktard...his friends were even bigger fucktards for following him. No one else at his 100 or so party followed him. It should have been him, his brother and HUD and that's it.

The cell phone network should have been hammered/down throughout the event, yet he manages to get thru to Beth, and even his mom calls in. I was ready to yell "YOU fuckING LIAR!!" when he was telling his mom that he was evacuating with the military when they were stuck in the subway.

Seriously no girl is worth going through all that shit.

Getting a battery for his phone was like well that's a waste as usually those have like what 5-10 minutes of charge and you need to fully charge them before use?

A flash light, first aid kit and a melee weapon would have increased there chances of survival...

btw what did anyone understand what that one guy said (speaking in another language) and hud didn't know what he was saying?

[quote name='ITDEFX']
I agree with you 100%... I expect the same argument from my co-worker who teaches TV Production on Tuesday since he said he would check it out on the weekend.

Do you think it would have been better if they had the time code / date and time stamp up and running like in the beginning of the movie? I was expecting that but it didn't happen. Using the light would drain the battery quickly, the night vision mode would have killed that battery even quicker.

And why wasn't the video grainy? Every consumer level camera I have used gets grainy in low level shots.
[/quote]

Honestly I have no idea what could have saved it. Most likely not even using the hand held camera. I really dont know what the movie gained from having it. The human mind can only handle so much and 10 min into the film I wanted to kill myself. Time code would have worked a lot better but normal people wouldnt know what they were looking at anyway. I thought it would have worked better to use like security still footage to help tell some of the story at least then you would give the viewer a break for the constant shaky cam.

I just dont understand who thought that would be a good idea. Because you then have to explain why the stars of the film take this camera everywhere. It simply doesnt work. Why are you holding a camera when you are climbing a building? Or getting attacked? You guys do realize that it take up one of your hands to hold a camera. Its so impractical that its almost laughable.

I also fully agree with you that the monster is just so damn bad it pointless. How it magically appears out of nowhere without making a sound. They are asking the viewer to forgive A LOT to like it.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Once people start going to this you know they are grasping for anything to justify a movie.[/quote]
No, you're the one grasping here. You're complaining about the battery life of a camera in a movie! Of all the things.. If it was a complaint about a shaky camera, bad acting, boom mic in a shot, cheesy monsters, cheesy effects, anything else, that's understandable, but you're complaining about battery life. For all we know, Hud could've grabbed a ton of batteries in the electronics shop when he paused the tape. Who knows.

If you want realism, here's some complaints other than battery life:

The power doesn't go out once. Sure, it flickers, but it never goes out completely. The battery rob uses is charged right out of the package (I don't think they sell batteries pre-charged like that, do they?). The military wouldn't have allowed them to be filming around like that. Beth shouldn't have survived out of her apartment since it looks like the pole stabbed her near her heart, and she sure as hell wouldn't have been able to run after getting to the street. Scratch that, she wouldn't have made it down the 40something flight of stairs. Rob wouldn't have gotten cell phone service during the crisis. The military guy wouldn't have let them continue on during a mandatory evacuation.

But come on guys.. it's a movie. You either liked it, or you didn't, and apparently the majority of you went in expecting something similar to a breaking news telecast on CNN versus a movie. The movie had its fair share of faults, but overall, I enjoyed it. It's not the best movie in the world by any means, but I didn't go in expecting it to be the best movie ever and end up overanalyzing everything about it.

[quote name='soodmeg']Also you are the ones who are trying to explain how the camera lasted that long. All I did is prove that its wrong. Again I think I am the only actually cameraman on this site. So it pains me to see poeple just making up random things about camera to justify a shitty moive.[/quote]

I'm not "making up random things". It's a movie. There's no fact or fiction in movies. If it was based on a true event, okay. But no one complains about lightsabers in the Star Wars movies. No one complains about a guy who has a mutated gene and can swing around a city. No one complains about an indestructible human that mows down everyone in his path. Everyone just accepts it. It's a movie. It's not real.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Well there is genric cop out number 4. Once people start going to this you know they are grasping for anything to justify a movie.

Also you are the ones who are trying to explain how the camera lasted that long. All I did is prove that its wrong. Again I think I am the only actually cameraman on this site. So it pains me to see poeple just making up random things about camera to justify a shitty moive.[/QUOTE]
oh noez, its the standard "my opinion = fact" troll in every movie thread

[quote name='Soodmeg']Also. Since I am the only one on this entire site that is an actually cameraman let me comment on the film.[/quote]
Oh shit...so you have employment data on every single CAG user? Because that's the only way you should be making a statement like that.

Two hours, eh? Well, good thing that there's only ~75 minutes of footage in the film, meaning the camera only necessarily had to be on for 75 minutes, which, psst, is less than 2 hours. That's a slight hole in your supposed disproving of the possibility of this camera lasting that long.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Not to cut you down or anything but if I have to hear one more person tell me "I missed the point" of a god damn movie I will punch a baby in the face with a kitten.[/quote]
You missed the point.

Again, if you want to see the done-to-death traditional monster movie formula, Japan's got a million Godzilla and Gamera movies for you.

He loses a brother which he didnt even seem to care at all about in favor of finding Beth.
Okay, so I guess you missed that part where he broke down on the phone when relaying news of Jason's death to their mother?

How is it that Lilly is running around in high heels for the entire movie? Your telling me she out ran monsters and climbed a building wearing 8 inch heels?
Since when did 2 inches equal 8 inches? You're exaggerating.

[quote name='Soodmeg']
Honestly I have no idea what could have saved it. Most likely not even using the hand held camera. I really dont know what the movie gained from having it. The human mind can only handle so much and 10 min into the film I wanted to kill myself. Time code would have worked a lot better but normal people wouldnt know what they were looking at anyway. I thought it would have worked better to use like security still footage to help tell some of the story at least then you would give the viewer a break for the constant shaky cam.

I just dont understand who thought that would be a good idea. Because you then have to explain why the stars of the film take this camera everywhere. It simply doesnt work. Why are you holding a camera when you are climbing a building? Or getting attacked? You guys do realize that it take up one of your hands to hold a camera. Its so impractical that its almost laughable.

I also fully agree with you that the monster is just so damn bad it pointless. How it magically appears out of nowhere without making a sound. They are asking the viewer to forgive A LOT to like it.
[/QUOTE]

You still haven't mentioned the video noise seen while using a camera in low light. That video should have been grainy as hell.

Also since you have used professional cameras before, wouldn't such loud explosions like from gun fire, artillery shells, impacting sounds, crashing buildings damage the built in microphone? That camera was right there when the army guys opened fire and I was expecting it to be so high that it would be virtually impossible to hear anything, yet we get full surround sound...damn you Skywalker sound!!! :)

People are going to be asking the producers, what camera was it? If they say it was a SONY camera, I am going to shoot somebody. But since this wasn't a SONY movie, I would say JVC :p.

I am pretty sure that camera had a strap on it. I expected the fold out view finder to have been broken by the end of the film, but oh well.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Oh shit...so you have employment data on every single CAG user? Because that's the only way you should be making a statement like that.

Two hours, eh? Well, good thing that there's only ~75 minutes of footage in the film, meaning the camera only necessarily had to be on for 75 minutes, which, psst, is less than 2 hours. That's a slight hole in your supposed disproving of the possibility of this camera lasting that long.

You missed the point.

Again, if you want to see the done-to-death traditional monster movie formula, Japan's got a million Godzilla and Gamera movies for you.

Okay, so I guess you missed that part where he broke down on the phone when relaying news of Jason's death to their mother?

Since when did 2 inches equal 8 inches? You're exaggerating.
[/quote]
Are you kidding me?

Also, we have done many a "how do you do for a living" threads. So yes I have a good idea dumbass.

Dude if you think your brother just died wouldnt you actually want to know? He instantly started talking about beth and how they need to find her. I dont think he said a single thing about his brother until 40 in movie min later. He clearly showed no emotion toward it until much much later. I dont know maybe I love my brother more but if I saw him die I would at least need to make sure he was dead before I walked off. Even if he did fall of a bridge.

No to mention how the hell his cell phone just magically started working in the middle of a subway.

Do you not have a girlfriend? GIRLS CAN NOT RUN IN HEELS NO MATTER THE LENGTH. It doesnt matter if they are 2 or 100. You think a girl is going to run around New York and climb a building in heels? That is silly and you are foolish for even trying to make that point.

Please. Man. I am not that stupid

Here is what I dont get about CAG. You guys bitch and complain and are so quick to make fun of people who want to see something like Meet the Spartans calling them "just dumb Americans" but when a comic book movie comes out....oooh shit it holy ground no one dare say nothing bad about it. You guys pretend like you want better movies coming out but you really dont. You just dont want anyone to say anything bad about the current "underground movie" you hold so dear to your heart.

We can all sit back and cut One missed call apart but heaven fucking forbid more than 2 or 3 people dislike a movie we made a thread about. We made a thread about No country......so if I didnt like it......guess I just didnt "get it"

CAG is full of the biggest 2 faced pussies on the net.

I fully agree with Soodmeg and ITDEFX. I went to see this with high hopes and was utterly disappointed. Yeah, the premise was kind of cool, but it felt like all buildup with no climax.

As I do a LOT of filming with my prosumer camera and have about thirty or so miniDV tapes floating around, I haven't ever seen one that records longer than 60 minutes -- I'd put "What? The tape lasts that long?" as a bigger concern than battery life. That, and the holding the camera while
climing up a rooftop 40 stories up.
That flies in the face of logic.

I didn't follow a whole lot of the ARG but looked into it and read up on all of the sites right before going to see the film...and it didn't add much for me. I am going to punch JJ Abrams in the face if he ends Lost the same way he ended this film.

When the credits rolled, a unanimous groan and several cries of "this was the worst movie I've ever seen" filled the theatre. Maybe not the worst, but it did certainly fail to live up to the hype.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']I fully agree with Soodmeg and ITDEFX. I went to see this with high hopes and was utterly disappointed. Yeah, the premise was kind of cool, but it felt like all buildup with no climax.

As I do a LOT of filming with my prosumer camera and have about thirty or so miniDV tapes floating around, I haven't ever seen one that records longer than 60 minutes -- I'd put "What? The tape lasts that long?" as a bigger concern than battery life. That, and the holding the camera while
climing up a rooftop 40 stories up.
That flies in the face of logic.

I didn't follow a whole lot of the ARG but looked into it and read up on all of the sites right before going to see the film...and it didn't add much for me. I am going to punch JJ Abrams in the face if he ends Lost the same way he ended this film.

When the credits rolled, a unanimous groan and several cries of "this was the worst movie I've ever seen" filled the theatre. Maybe not the worst, but it did certainly fail to live up to the hype.[/quote]

:rofl:

Yours to huh?

We had some boos and a "I WANT MY MONEY BACK!" in ares. Hell I guess I am not the only one that "just didnt get it"

Anyone recognized the military hardware used in the movie?

Lets see

B2 Spirit: Carpet bombs the creature near central park.

M1114 Up-Armored Armament Carrier Humvee: Used to throughout the movie along with the standard Humvee.

M1A2 Tank: Used to attack the creature.

F-15 (couldn't tell which model number)..but it didn't sound like anything like a F-22 Raptor.

I was surprised Army Helicopters weren't used to go after this thing as they could maneuver better within the city. The press helicopters were able to track it for a bit.

Did I miss any other military hardware?

Did anyone catch the moster super jump towards the end?

When the were using the carpet bombs near central park after the monster when down in all that dust?

It looked to be literally at least a couple miles below then all of a sudden the creature used its super jump to bash the helicopter?

And speaking of miltary ITDEFX ummmm when you evac people dont you usually evac the injured first? I thought it was kinda strange that they left the girl who was bleeding out of the gaping hole in her chest
who still managed to run around, climb a building, scream, survive a helicopter crash before dying by a bomb thats one tough chick. He could of saved herself with that kind of moxy.

[quote name='Soodmeg']:rofl:

Yours to huh?

We had some boos and a "I WANT MY MONEY BACK!" in ares. Hell I guess I am not the only one that "just didnt get it"[/QUOTE]

No one said anything at the end of my showing. Everyone just got up and left. I think I saw at least two people getting up and leaving after 20 minutes. Guess they couldn't take it. I do also recall a theater employee walking the rows I guess to check to see if anyone was "taping" the movie.

Does anyone feel still sick? I kinda feel a bit woozy with a bit of a headache even 12 hours later. hmmm..

[quote name='Soodmeg']Did anyone catch the moster super jump towards the end?

When the were using the carpet bombs near central park after the monster when down in all that dust?

It looked to be literally at least a couple miles below then all of a sudden the creature used its super jump to bash the helicopter?[/QUOTE]

Based on the climbing altitude of the helicopter I would say they were about 300-600 feet up. Found it strange that a creature that had just been carpet bombed would just jump up and swipe a helicopter.

The creature was being hurt because you could obviously hear it in pain. No blood huh?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Based on the climbing altitude of the helicopter I would say they were about 300-600 feet up. Found it strange that a creature that had just been carpet bombed would just jump up and swipe a helicopter.

The creature was being hurt because you could obviously hear it in pain. No blood huh?[/quote]

300-600 feet? You sure about that? It seems they would have caught some of the blast if they were only 300-600 feet up. They were clearly far above all of the buildings....

Meh it doesnt matter anyway. So I will agree because it seems like you know more than I do about the subject.

[quote name='Soodmeg']300-600 feet? You sure about that? It seems they would have caught some of the blast if they were only 300-600 feet up. They were clearly far above all of the buildings....

Meh it doesnt matter anyway. So I will agree because it seems like you know more than I do about the subject.[/QUOTE]

That's just a guess based on the point of view we were given. I could be totally wrong though but I don't think it was several miles up. I don't recall the pilot mentioning the altitude. They were quite a distance away from the bombing path, safe enough not to be caught in the explosion. That helicopter and the surrounding buildings should have felt the shockwave from it though.

This is so ridiculous, it is a movie. Anyone can pick apart a movie. Normally when people enter see a fictional movie, it is common to suspend belief. People who don't enjoy it oh well people who do good for you. I have not seen it yet, but plan to do so tomorrow. I could of cared less about the viral marketing campaign. I just want to see a big ass monster trudge through good old New York.

I am looking at it like GhostBusters. I love the movie GhostBusters, do I really believe a 500 ft marshmallow is going to waltz down time square ,no, But I enjoyed seeing it happen.

[quote name='seanr1221']Soodmeg,
she is barefoot
[/quote]

No, no she was not. I made a point to look for that the entire movie. She was not barefoot. There were only 3 scenes in which she was barefoot.

She spent a lot of time running, climbing, fighting, in heels.

[quote name='bwilso80']This is so ridiculous, it is a movie. Anyone can pick apart a movie. Normally when people enter see a fictional movie, it is common to suspend belief. People who don't enjoy it oh well people who do good for you. I have not seen it yet, but plan to do so tomorrow. I could of cared less about the viral marketing campaign. I just want to see a big ass monster trudge through good old New York.

I am looking at it like GhostBusters. I love the movie GhostBusters, do I really believe a 500 ft marshmallow is going to waltz down time square ,no, But I enjoyed seeing it happen.[/QUOTE]

Ghostbusters was promoted to be a comedy. This movie was promoted like it was all serious.

[quote name='Soodmeg']No, no she was not. I made a point to look for that the entire movie. She was not barefoot. There were only 3 scenes in which she was barefoot.

She spent a lot of time running, climbing, fighting, in heels.[/QUOTE]

I was going to say the same thing in the beginning but got distracted by everything else in the movie that I let it slide.

Anyway this is the best review I have read about cloverfield.

Clover-Woven-From-Other-Films, 19 January 2008
10.gif

Author: josh-173 from Columbus, Ohio
*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

I will admit, the marketing scheme behind this awfulness was clever. I mean, I like a good thrill ride monster movie. The Creature From the Black Lagoon piqued my curiosity as a youngster as I marveled at the brilliance of trying to understand something that has no explanation. However, it's hard to have this curiosity, no matter how intriguing the monster is, when the script is so tired its in a coma.

Yes, the monster is cool. No, the stupid hand-held camera gimmick didn't bother me. Yes, the special effects are great and at times I did find myself in awe of the spectacle on the screen as it does seem real, but the movie itself is so, so, so dumb. At any moment I felt comfortable to leave to use the restroom as I knew exactly what I was going to miss. The plot was a paint by numbers and I would have loved even a touch of Bob Ross to fill the blanks, but no originality whatsoever.

First they steal the overdone Hollywood bit about love. "Dude, if you love her, tell her." Response: "I can't tell her, unless a mutant alien/ocean creature tries to expunge the city, only then will I try and make my move." Why have this? Why not make the story the monster? Really, who cares about these characters? Who cares about Rob's job in Japan? It's flimsy? Why have it? The beginning clearly leads on that the camera is found, which means they all die. Standard operation of introducing characters that we shouldn't care about.

Second, they decide to steal a scene from a much better monster movie The Descent. "Let's try night vision on the camera." And this is in no way as scary as the movie that did it better. The Descent works better in every faction of story telling. It forces claustrophobia as it whispers the insanity and the entire film works as a metaphor for diving deep into the darkness of one's existence and summoning demons, ones we can't see coming (which is why I think those monsters were blind). Cloverfield does none of this. It's a, where can we run to next? saga. A 'B' movie. A well shot 'B' movie.

Third we have the comic relief one liner guy holding the camera. But in true fashion of a bad movie, he's not funny, just annoying. A few people in my viewing clapped when he was eaten. I love LOST. I think it's the best show on TV, but the writer here has proved that being a great psychological writer for the little screen does not translate to comedy. Bad Robot productions should hire one guy with a sense of humor. They may need him at some point. Hud's pinnacle of wit was "That's terrible" when he gets a good shot of the monster. Followed closely by, "That's terrible too" when we see when of its young-lings a few seconds later. Brilliant... improv? I can only guess the script consisted of locations and not so much dialogue since this boner had most of the words in the movie, words that seemed spontaneously driven from someone wait listed at community college. Horrible. I'm surprised he didn't utter, "That's terrible cubed" before he was engorged upon. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Fourth, we have the killer/villain/monster has one last leap. Yes, we knew the helicopter was going down since they find the camera in Central Park. "We killed him" Hud proclaims, just before the monster elevates and slaps the helicopter to the ground. This is scary, why? Oh, it's not scary, and I find the idea of a thing like this really existing more logical than any of those bozos surviving the crash in the park.

Fifth, they've stolen from every Stephen King novel ever, because King should always have chapters taken out, and this movie should have been an hour long. Do we really need to see them walk up 57 flights of stairs and then back down and then bank up and then and then and then and then.... yes we do. Otherwise they don't have enough for a feature length movie. So trite and boring and not fascinating. Which is why the gimmick of a hand held camera was needed. Otherwise, they may actually need to give the characters some arc, have some purposeful shots of the monster, maybe create a reason for what it is and why it's there and, uh-oh, give it some originality.

For anyone who thinks this movie is original it is probably because you are under 24 and either naive to creativity or just haven't seen any worthwhile movies. I wanted to like this I did, I really did. It just wasn't good. I can respect it, as I respect all movies that are made. It was well crafted and edited and the effects were amazing, but so what? All movies now have great effects. The Fantastic Four movies are not good, but their effects rock. War of the Worlds was awful, but I thought those things really came out of the ground. Effects and production don't make a movie. Not anymore. T-2, Jurassic Park, Men in Black, those movies were pioneers to FX being a character along with brilliant film-making. Now it is expected. Since it is expected there, I expect more from the story. This isn't it. If I were trapped in hell and I had a choice to watch either Cloverfiled or One Miss Call over and over, I'd pick One Miss Call. At least its badness is funny, which gives it some merit. Cloverfield is just bad. Textook, trite, clichéd, not smart, overdone, not scary, bad. Not as bad as Mission Impossible 2, but pretty darn close.

[quote name='Soodmeg']No, no she was not. I made a point to look for that the entire movie. She was not barefoot. There were only 3 scenes in which she was barefoot.

She spent a lot of time running, climbing, fighting, in heels.[/QUOTE]

When they are climbing the building to Beths, I know she is barefoot, because it's the only time I noticed it. I wasn't really looking otherwise, because frankly, I don't give a shit if she was wearing shoes or not. If you want to get super technical, I think Nike makes a heel that you can run in. Maybe she was wearing those?

[quote name='Soodmeg']

And speaking of miltary ITDEFX ummmm when you evac people dont you usually evac the injured first? I thought it was kinda strange that they left the girl who was bleeding out of the gaping hole in her chest
who still managed to run around, climb a building, scream, survive a helicopter crash before dying by a bomb thats one tough chick. He could of saved herself with that kind of moxy.
[/QUOTE]

Yes you evacuate the injured first. By that point all VIP's should have been gone by now such as the Mayor and so on (if he's in the city at the time of crisis). Those were the last helicopters to leave the area. Rob and the rest should have been put on a Humvee or a bus and taken out of the city via a military escort.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Ghostbusters was promoted to be a comedy. This movie was promoted like it was all serious.[/quote]

But they are both fictional movies. How serious can a movie be about a huge ass monster, destroying everything, in its wake.

She spent a lot of time running, climbing, fighting, in heels.[/quote]

For someone who didn't like the movie, you sure are spending a lot of time dissecting it and dissecting other CAG's who enjoyed it.

We get your point.

Time to move on with your life.

Go see another movie that you DO like or something.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Anyway this is the best review I have read about cloverfield.

Clover-Woven-From-Other-Films, 19 January 2008
10.gif

Author: josh-173 from Columbus, Ohio
*** This comment may contain spoilers ***

I will admit, the marketing scheme behind this awfulness was clever. I mean, I like a good thrill ride monster movie. The Creature From the Black Lagoon piqued my curiosity as a youngster as I marveled at the brilliance of trying to understand something that has no explanation. However, it's hard to have this curiosity, no matter how intriguing the monster is, when the script is so tired its in a coma.

Yes, the monster is cool. No, the stupid hand-held camera gimmick didn't bother me. Yes, the special effects are great and at times I did find myself in awe of the spectacle on the screen as it does seem real, but the movie itself is so, so, so dumb. At any moment I felt comfortable to leave to use the restroom as I knew exactly what I was going to miss. The plot was a paint by numbers and I would have loved even a touch of Bob Ross to fill the blanks, but no originality whatsoever.

First they steal the overdone Hollywood bit about love. "Dude, if you love her, tell her." Response: "I can't tell her, unless a mutant alien/ocean creature tries to expunge the city, only then will I try and make my move." Why have this? Why not make the story the monster? Really, who cares about these characters? Who cares about Rob's job in Japan? It's flimsy? Why have it? The beginning clearly leads on that the camera is found, which means they all die. Standard operation of introducing characters that we shouldn't care about.

Second, they decide to steal a scene from a much better monster movie The Descent. "Let's try night vision on the camera." And this is in no way as scary as the movie that did it better. The Descent works better in every faction of story telling. It forces claustrophobia as it whispers the insanity and the entire film works as a metaphor for diving deep into the darkness of one's existence and summoning demons, ones we can't see coming (which is why I think those monsters were blind). Cloverfield does none of this. It's a, where can we run to next? saga. A 'B' movie. A well shot 'B' movie.

Third we have the comic relief one liner guy holding the camera. But in true fashion of a bad movie, he's not funny, just annoying. A few people in my viewing clapped when he was eaten. I love LOST. I think it's the best show on TV, but the writer here has proved that being a great psychological writer for the little screen does not translate to comedy. Bad Robot productions should hire one guy with a sense of humor. They may need him at some point. Hud's pinnacle of wit was "That's terrible" when he gets a good shot of the monster. Followed closely by, "That's terrible too" when we see when of its young-lings a few seconds later. Brilliant... improv? I can only guess the script consisted of locations and not so much dialogue since this boner had most of the words in the movie, words that seemed spontaneously driven from someone wait listed at community college. Horrible. I'm surprised he didn't utter, "That's terrible cubed" before he was engorged upon. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Fourth, we have the killer/villain/monster has one last leap. Yes, we knew the helicopter was going down since they find the camera in Central Park. "We killed him" Hud proclaims, just before the monster elevates and slaps the helicopter to the ground. This is scary, why? Oh, it's not scary, and I find the idea of a thing like this really existing more logical than any of those bozos surviving the crash in the park.

Fifth, they've stolen from every Stephen King novel ever, because King should always have chapters taken out, and this movie should have been an hour long. Do we really need to see them walk up 57 flights of stairs and then back down and then bank up and then and then and then and then.... yes we do. Otherwise they don't have enough for a feature length movie. So trite and boring and not fascinating. Which is why the gimmick of a hand held camera was needed. Otherwise, they may actually need to give the characters some arc, have some purposeful shots of the monster, maybe create a reason for what it is and why it's there and, uh-oh, give it some originality.

For anyone who thinks this movie is original it is probably because you are under 24 and either naive to creativity or just haven't seen any worthwhile movies. I wanted to like this I did, I really did. It just wasn't good. I can respect it, as I respect all movies that are made. It was well crafted and edited and the effects were amazing, but so what? All movies now have great effects. The Fantastic Four movies are not good, but their effects rock. War of the Worlds was awful, but I thought those things really came out of the ground. Effects and production don't make a movie. Not anymore. T-2, Jurassic Park, Men in Black, those movies were pioneers to FX being a character along with brilliant film-making. Now it is expected. Since it is expected there, I expect more from the story. This isn't it. If I were trapped in hell and I had a choice to watch either Cloverfiled or One Miss Call over and over, I'd pick One Miss Call. At least its badness is funny, which gives it some merit. Cloverfield is just bad. Textook, trite, clichéd, not smart, overdone, not scary, bad. Not as bad as Mission Impossible 2, but pretty darn close.
[/QUOTE]

:applause:

[quote name='seanr1221']
When they are climbing the building to Beths, I know she is barefoot, because it's the only time I noticed it. I wasn't really looking otherwise, because frankly, I don't give a shit if she was wearing shoes or not. If you want to get super technical, I think Nike makes a heel that you can run in. Maybe she was wearing those?
[/quote]

(not explained: how they got back, and how, after walking all the way to Columbus Circle, they have the energy to climb 49 flights of stairs, Lily in her high heels).

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=656267&category=MOVIEREVIEWS&BCCode=&newsdate=1/19/2008

Also its not super technical its just fucking stupid. To show a girl in high heels when there is no reason or logic for it is part of an extremely old and tired stero type about woman in movies.

That all girls are still super sexy while in the face of danger....hell she has to look good for the monster right? I am surprised that they didnt have her randomly trip and fall down for 2 min while waiting for man to come save her.

Its lazy directing...thats the bottom line. It would be the same of adding a black guy for the sole purpose of having him say, "WHAT UP DOG THAT MONSTA IF TRIPPING!"

[quote name='lawdood']For someone who didn't like the movie, you sure are spending a lot of time dissecting it and dissecting other CAG's who enjoyed it.

We get your point.

Time to move on with your life.

Go see another movie that you DO like or something.[/quote]

I just seen the movie 20 fucking min ago? What are you talking about a lot of time. By tomorrow I will be very much over it.

(christ I mean I am sure you would let me go on for 2 or 3 more pages if I was blowing sunshine up its ass right?)

[quote name='Soodmeg'](not explained: how they got back, and how, after walking all the way to Columbus Circle, they have the energy to climb 49 flights of stairs, Lily in her high heels).

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=656267&category=MOVIEREVIEWS&BCCode=&newsdate=1/19/2008

Also its not super technical its just fucking stupid. To show a girl in high heels when there is no reason or logic for it is part of an extremely old and tired stero type about woman in movies.

That all girls are still super sexy while in the face of danger....hell she has to look good for the monster right? I am surprised that they didnt have her randomly trip and fall down for 2 min while waiting for man to come save her.

Its lazy directing...thats the bottom line. It would be the same of adding a black guy for the sole purpose of having him say, "WHAT UP DOG THAT MONSTA IF TRIPPING!"

I just seen the movie 20 fucking min ago? What are you talking about a lot of time. By tomorrow I will be very much over it.

(christ I mean I am sure you would let me go on for 2 or 3 more pages if I was blowing sunshine up its ass right?)[/QUOTE]

Or...you can realize you're arguing heels on the internetz.

[quote name='seanr1221']Or...you can realize you're arguing heels on the internetz.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry but..

btw where's rob's car?

bread's done
Back