club nintendo will cheat you out of 10 coins with wii and ds games starting April 7th and more club nintendo news

cowthe2000

CAGiversary!
   Starting on April 7, 2014, any newly registered Nintendo DS or Wii games (both retail and digital copies) will continue to receive product registration surveys, but no longer be eligible for 10-coin post-play surveys. In addition, starting on April 7, the deadline to complete newly earned post-play surveys for all games will be 30 days after they are issued.

:wall: 

Where I found this:

https://club.nintendo.com/eligible-products.do

other article:

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2014/03/14/club-nintendo-update-will-make-you-10-coins-poorer

Well, I appreciate the heads up about this, though we certainly aren't being cheated out of anything considering this is completely free and a bonus to games I would have bought anyway. I don't see Sony or MS giving me free games & goods year-round for all the games I buy for those systems.
As long as we're still getting some coins for the games I'd rather hold off on registering my left over codes to go for platinum next year anyway.
1. Bing rewards. I stopped doing it awhile back, but when I was into it I earned over $100 worth of free games for my 360. And yes, that's a Microsoft program.

2. Sony has given me four PSX games in the past few months without the need to buy anything. Considering they're the same era as N64, that's at least 800pts of free games, which given Nintendo's point system, would've cost me $800.

3. PS+. $50 for 60 games a year. And recent ones.

4. IOS- Free games constantly.

But I do appreciate Club Nintendo offering me old games from the '80s. Let's just not act like they're the only company doing anything.

I understand that CN is a free rewards program, but if you are going to reward people, especially when you are a company like NINTENDO, atleast make it worth it. Giving us some game cases, that would cost about 7.99$ at any store, for 500 coins (which is equivalent to 12 3ds games priced at 39.99) is a joke. Spending 470$ on nintendo products so they can give you an 8$ video game case? That's kinda BS IMO. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't even know you could register Wii games. I don't know a thing about anything having to do with Nintendo, since they pretty much suck...
Heh, they have a much better selection than those other next gen consoles. The only game that looks interesting is the new Infamous but even that won't have me go out and buy a PS4.

I understand that CN is a free rewards program, but if you are going to reward people, especially when you are a company like NINTENDO, atleast make it worth it. Giving us some game cases, that would cost about 7.99$ at any store, for 500 coins (which is equivalent to 12 3ds games priced at 39.99) is a joke. Spending 470$ on nintendo products so they can give you an 8$ video game case? That's kinda BS IMO.
Then don't buy the game case and wait for something with more value, whether it be sentimental or otherwise.

Or they could give you nothing and you buy the games and get no points, rewards, and then would you complain??

Let's face it. Half the people really using club nintendo walk into gamestop, go to the used section, and take any club nintendo pamphlets from the used boxes. Eliminating half the cost, or making money selling them to people on here. Then come here and complain about spending hundreds they didn't. The other half just appreciate it for what it is.

Let's face it. Half the people really using club nintendo walk into gamestop, go to the used section, and take any club nintendo pamphlets from the used boxes. Eliminating half the cost, or making money selling them to people on here. Then come here and complain about spending hundreds they didn't. The other half just appreciate it for what it is.
I put a down payment on a house selling those pamphlets. Thank you CAG.

Other than the free pokemon game, club nintendo has really let me down. They don't give you nearly enough coins. I have registered a 2ds a 3ds xl and no joke, about 35 3ds games and about 5 ds games and all i have got is like 1700 coins. so i can get 3 sets of posters for like 900$ worth of stuff. Cool.
I have a 3DS, seven games, 1-2 DS games and have about 600 points. So clearly you fucked up doing it.

Yep, and 40 points per game and you have 600 points, so you would need 1100 more points to equal 1700 points, so at 50 points a game (including the 10 points for the survey) you would need 22 more games, so that is 29  3ds games you would have to purchase. As well as the 3ds system. I must have over exaggerated my collection by a few games...

1982311_754736497870516_421995135_n.jpg

I have gotten a total of about 1900 points for everything. So i could get 3 poster sets and some kirby patches for purchasing all of this stuff? 

While i do appreciate the fact that it is indeed free, all i am saying is that if you are a multi billion dollar company with a rewards program, atleast throw in some good items more occasionally. Having to wait 4-5 months just to get one MAYBE two good items, which are still like 1500 points, i just think it's a lil ridiculous.

I have a 3DS, seven games, 1-2 DS games and have about 600 points. So clearly you fucked up doing it.
Or you fucked your math up... Assuming your equation is correct, lets actually do the math.

1 (3DS) + 7* (3DS) + 2 (DS) = 600**

1 (3DS) + 1 (2DS) + 14* (3DS) + 4 (DS) = 1,100**

1 (3DS) + 1 (2DS) + 29* (3DS) + 5 (DS) = about 1,800**

Remember, a 2DS is only worth 100 coins, they don't have a third 3DS / 2DS so thats another 100 - 160 lost and that comes to about 6.5 more 3DS games. Sure, it's still 6 less than their 35 total (which was also an approximation), but I wouldn't say your numbers are that much smaller.

* You don't outright state 3DS games, so I am simply assuming 3DS given the context. If they're Wii / Wii U, then the numbers will be vastly different.

** Since both examples are approximations, I just went will 600 and will round up the 1,700 total to 1,800.

^^Some of the older games only give you 20 points instead of 40
I know, but I don't want to get into some overly long and semantic post / argument about all the dimensions of what you may or may not have done and so forth. I tried to assume as much given off the data, which even then, I think getting 6 away from the projected figure is enough to prove the overall point.

Yep, and 40 points per game and you have 600 points, so you would need 1100 more points to equal 1700 points, so at 50 points a game (including the 10 points for the survey) you would need 22 more games, so that is 29 3ds games you would have to purchase. As well as the 3ds system. I must have over exaggerated my collection by a few games...

1982311_754736497870516_421995135_n.jpg

I have gotten a total of about 1900 points for everything. So i could get 3 poster sets and some kirby patches for purchasing all of this stuff?

While i do appreciate the fact that it is indeed free, all i am saying is that if you are a multi billion dollar company with a rewards program, atleast throw in some good items more occasionally. Having to wait 4-5 months just to get one MAYBE two good items, which are still like 1500 points, i just think it's a lil ridiculous.
being a multi billion dollar company don't mean nothing with incentive or loyality programs cause that what they are just extra or incentive take a look at coca cola rewards coca cola im pretty positive make much, much more then Nintendo and you have to usually spend $800 on soft drinks to finally end up with what a coupon for a free 12 back a $5 value same thing with Starbucks gold card incentive program for every 12 purchases you get one free food or drink item. all incentive programs are the same they aren't required to be a part of and completely optional just incentives for those that buy there products already a loyalty kind of program. that why everyone should be happy with what they get instead complaining about it

That would be me :)

Other than the free pokemon game, club nintendo has really let me down. They don't give you nearly enough coins. I have registered a 2ds a 3ds xl and no joke, about 35 3ds games and about 5 ds games and all i have got is like 1700 coins. so i can get 3 sets of posters for like 900$ worth of stuff. Cool.
Nobody's forcing you to waste your valuable time filling out surveys. god knows I don't.

You need to be silenced...

I for one will say thanks for the heads up OP. I still need to enter a few codes to reach platinum this year and have some DS game codes laying around. Now that I know this I will enter them first. 

Starting on April 7, 2014, any newly registered Nintendo DS or Wii games (both retail and digital copies) will continue to receive product registration surveys, but no longer be eligible for 10-coin post-play surveys. In addition, starting on April 7, the deadline to complete newly earned post-play surveys for all games will be 30 days after they are issued.

:wall:

Where I found this:

https://club.nintendo.com/eligible-products.do

other article:

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2014/03/14/club-nintendo-update-will-make-you-10-coins-poorer
Ugh, this all sucks. I've been platinum every year, but it's getting to where I just want to forget the whole thing.

1cheat verb \ˈchēt\

: to break a rule or law usually to gain an advantage at something

: to take something from (someone) by lying or breaking a rule

: to prevent (someone) from having something that he or she deserves or was expecting to get

Full Definition of CHEAT

transitive verb
:  to deprive of something valuable by the use of deceit or fraud

:  to influence or lead by deceit, trick, or artifice

:  to elude or thwart by or as if by outwitting

intransitive verb
a :  to practice fraud or trickery

b :  to violate rules dishonestly

:  to be sexually unfaithful —usually used with on

:  to position oneself defensively near a particular area in anticipation of a play in that area

It's all about interpretation in the end.

I wish they would just give you all the points the moment you register a game, and not make it so you need to do the surveys. I get why they do the surveys, and I'm sure they are very important to Nintendo. But really, how many people just bullshit their way through the surveys and not give serious answers?
I give serious answers, I just don't think on it too much, nor am I wordy in the writing portion. I guess it is useful, but not overly.

I appreciate Club Nintendo, I get some extra stuff for buying games I was going to get anyways. I know people love to argue over whether that is "free" or not, but Club Nintendo point value has NEVER been a factor as to whether I purchase a game or not. Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. will be joining my library later this year, but hey if Nintendo wants to give me some points towards a downloadable VC game or 3DS XL cradle or something, that would be swell - how can I possibly be upset with that? The alternative is I get nothing and STILL buy those games.

I give serious answers, I just don't think on it too much, nor am I wordy in the writing portion. I guess it is useful, but not overly.

I appreciate Club Nintendo, I get some extra stuff for buying games I was going to get anyways. I know people love to argue over whether that is "free" or not, but Club Nintendo point value has NEVER been a factor as to whether I purchase a game or not. Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. will be joining my library later this year, but hey if Nintendo wants to give me some points towards a downloadable VC game or 3DS XL cradle or something, that would be swell - how can I possibly be upset with that? The alternative is I get nothing and STILL buy those games.
For many of us, it's not that it isn't free (which it is if you don't place a $$$ value on your time and information, that's where the argument really lies) it's that the prizes are all but worthless. The free VC games are cool, but only on the rare month when they have something you actually want (assuming you didn't already buy it of course). If they would let us just turn coins into eshop money flat out it would be a fine program, but of course they don't.

The other prizes suck too. The very rare times they have something worthwhile (gold nunchuck, Luigi statue) it disappears within a day, meaning if you don't check every day you are SoL. The platinum prizes have been just as bad after the 1st and 2nd year. Posters were kinda neat at first but there's only so many posters you can get, and before I quit the program I easily got enough to wallpaper my bedroom ;) . And, of course, most of this shit just sits on ebay (unless of course you get a gold nunchuck or Luigi statue, in which case you are an ass if you turn around and ebay it). I went through hell trying to unload those awful dollar-storeesque pins and playing cards I got for Platinum, nobody wanted to pay more than a few bucks for them. Oh, and you've gotta love the re-release of the CD that many of us already had from a game that was released a decade ago :???:

It really doesn't matter what game is worth X coins if the prizes aren't worth the time it takes to do a survey (they usually aren't, at least for me). I don't understand how Nintendo gets anything out of anybody with crap prizes such as these. I just don't get the logic; it wouldn't cost that much more to put out some decent mini-art books and UNRELEASED soundtracks, rather than the crap that I can find at the nearest office supply closet.

Last edited:
You could have gotten the Luigi's Mansion figurine and a Mario RPG/8 dollar digital download with that many points. 158 bucks worth of stuff as a nice bonus for buying 900 bucks worth of stuff....

For many of us, it's not that it isn't free (which it is if you don't place a $$$ value on your time and information, that's where the argument really lies) it's that the prizes are all but worthless. The free VC games are cool, but only on the rare month when they have something you actually want (assuming you didn't already buy it of course). If they would let us just turn coins into eshop money flat out it would be a fine program, but of course they don't.

The other prizes suck too. The very rare times they have something worthwhile (gold nunchuck, Luigi statue) it disappears within a day, meaning if you don't check every day you are SoL. The platinum prizes have been just as bad after the 1st and 2nd year. Posters were kinda neat at first but there's only so many posters you can get, and before I quit the program I easily got enough to wallpaper my bedroom ;) . And, of course, most of this shit just sits on ebay (unless of course you get a gold nunchuck or Luigi statue, in which case you are an ass if you turn around and ebay it). I went through hell trying to unload those awful dollar-storeesque pins and playing cards I got for Platinum, nobody wanted to pay more than a few bucks for them. Oh, and you've gotta love the re-release of the CD that many of us already had from a game that was released a decade ago :???:

It really doesn't matter what game is worth X coins if the prizes aren't worth the time it takes to do a survey (they usually aren't, at least for me). I don't understand how Nintendo gets anything out of anybody with crap prizes such as these. I just don't get the logic; it wouldn't cost that much more to put out some decent mini-art books and UNRELEASED soundtracks, rather than the crap that I can find at the nearest office supply closet.
That is such a nonsense argument about how much your time is worth. I'm sorry, but I cannot say my time is "worth" what my job pays me. It is worth what they pay me for the amount of time I am there. If no one is willing to pay me for my time at present, and I am not otherwise occupied - then it is worth nothing. If you don't fill out the survey, do you get a check for your time? The surveys literally take me about 20 seconds. Maybe longer for yourself, but I don't know of anyone that is buying people time in 20 second increments.

For every two or three surveys for new games I get a free virtual console game. Sure I sometimes have to wait until one comes out I want, but so what? I've gotten about 500 surveys worth of "my time" out of the free Link to the Past download they gave me in exchange. I wanted that game a long time ago, it finally came up. How dare they not appease me right now.

And you not liking the prizes doesn't mean others do not like them. I got my son some of the folders for school, and a stylus set - he LOVED them. But if you listen to the average Nintendo Club hater those were garbage rewards. I also got three of the 3DS XL charge bases, one for each of our 3DS XL handhelds. Yes, those sold out REALLY fast, but I was getting ready to buy three from their store anyways. I put in a little effort, found out when they were coming up (which they advertised two weeks prior) and had no issue ordering them. Yes, it's a shame they don't have unlimited stock for everyone that wants them to order anytime they get around to it, but it is better than them not being out at all - it saved me about $60. And if they did put out some of those awards you think are "decent", what if you couldn't get in on those fast enough? It's a loyalty reward program, not a online ordering program with high, renewing stock levels.

Do you buy less Nintendo games than you would if their rewards program offered some more of the Japanese items? If the answer is no then you are just whining. Because they don't need to make the program better to sell more games to you. And apparently they don't even need to have the program available to thank you either, since you refuse to use it.

I feel ... deja vu.

No kidding. I gotta know what rcerboss does for a living that considers his time so "valuable" that taking 20 seconds to bang out a quick survey a few times for a free virtual console game is OUT OF THE QUESTION. When I see statements like that the first thing I think is "Wow, someone vastly overestimates their worth". Usually it is some douche-nozzle Wall St. executive or hedge fund manager in a newspaper article.

Why do people post walls of text?
I honestly don't know why so many people want to argue about the CN stuff. I pretty much only do it now a days if I can quickly point out the flawed logic, like Greens so so math.

Come the end of the day, what is the point of defending Club Nintendo? Everything is going to boil down to circumstances and different concepts of reality. Like I don't mind giving Nintendo surveys, but I do mind that they seemingly go nowhere (we get asked the same questions almost every time), though others do (they can get annoying). Take Defpally, they have a kid, so the seemingly worthless rewards have more value to him, just like getting a cradle and so forth. I can honestly say that my whole time at CN I've only seen 1 reward I've wanted, but thats just me. In the end, the two groups really need to learn that you aren't going to change the others mind and move on to almost anything more productive.

No kidding. I gotta know what rcerboss does for a living that considers his time so "valuable" that taking 20 seconds to bang out a quick survey a few times for a free virtual console game is OUT OF THE QUESTION. When I see statements like that the first thing I think is "Wow, someone vastly overestimates their worth". Usually it is some douche-nozzle Wall St. executive or hedge fund manager in a newspaper article.
I completely agree. My time at work is not equal to my time sitting on the couch. If I'm filling out nintendo surveys instead of going to work, that's one thing. Me filling out "n/a" while watching reruns isn't that big of a deal.

But hey, maybe rcerboss is actually Bill Gates.

What gets me is his claim that his time is too valuable to spend doing a survey, but he posts up these rants every time CN is mentioned in a thread. Tell us again how much your time is worth?

This is true, you won't convince people of your side or the other.  But, like I said - I like it, it has value to me.  If you don't like ti, then don't use it.  If it is that big a deal to you, don't buy Nintendo games since you don't think their loyalty program is sufficient and it is apparently a requirement to you.

What I do want is the haters to simply shut up about it.  Stop saying it is worthless.  Stop demanding Nintendo make it worth your while (or like the Japan version) or cease it.  Stop saying it is wasting your "valuable" time.  Because some of us DO like it and get value from it.  And stop calling people that do find value for their own reasons tools or fanboys.

I just don't want to see the whining, entitled douches speak for everyone to the point where Nintendo takes away something some of us like.  Because knowing the way things like this work, that is the alternative.  The alternative is NOT them going "Oh, hey, people don't like it - let's give them the Japan rewards instead".  The alternative is nothing.  Because that is what they have to offer to sell their games - fans will buy them anyways, including most of the aforementioned whiners.

Could it be improved, sure.  Offer some suggestions.

What gets me is his claim that his time is too valuable to spend doing a survey, but he posts up these rants every time CN is mentioned in a thread. Tell us again how much your time is worth?
Absolutely true, he spends more time complaining about Club Nintendo than he would benefitting from it filling out a survey or three. CAG doesn't give free Virtual Console games or shoelaces or charge cradles for a compelling post. What a waste of valuable time for him.

I just see this as another way Nintendo is trying to drain the CN coin economy, though there is still tons floating around out there.  If they actually care about the PPS input, it kinds sucks this limits somewhat recent releases (2012 Wii titles such as Xenoblade Chronicles, Mario Party 9, and Rhythm Heaven Fever), which have already have announced sequels or will more than likely be revisited on Wii U or 3DS in the near future.

Absolutely true, he spends more time complaining about Club Nintendo than he would benefitting from it filling out a survey or three. CAG doesn't give free Virtual Console games or shoelaces or charge cradles for a compelling post. What a waste of valuable time for him.
reminds me of comic book guy from Simpsons lol argue and complain about something and talking about how busy he is and then dash to the back of the store to the computer writing up a complaint novel lol

Wait.... Where's the "deal" portion at OP?? Bs clogging up the deals section is a bigger concern than losing 10 CN points on dying technology

Okay, I am not going to lie. After receiving my Zelda LBW poster set in the mail today.... CN ROCKS! These things are freaking bad fuckin ass!

Oh dearest me, people on a forum don't like to read dissenting opinions?  I am sorry  :cry: 

I really didn't mean to cause a whole thing, all I tried to do for defpally was explain WHY some of us hate the program.  Though, judging how he made several follow-up posts insulting me, I guess he'd rather complain about the complainers than try to see things from another point of view :cry:  Oh well, I tried

At the end of the day, it's great you saved $0.25 on a folder, or $1 on a notebook.  That doesn't mean jack shit to many other people. What annoys me is that this isn't a hard concept.  Throw up a mini art-book like they crapped out for Xenoblade Chronicles or Fire Emblem Awakening pre-orders.  Slap some of the music from Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze onto a CD and put it up.  It's not hard and it's not expensive.  But no, I guess shoelaces are a better prize  :whistle2:?   Not only does it show a total lack of effort on Nintendo's part, but frankly it's a bit insulting.  This is why I hate the program, and that's ultimately all I was trying to get across.  

For the record, yes, I have passed on one or two cheaper games (Glory of Heracles) that I would've otherwise bought for the points.  Far more importantly however, I recently started buying used Nintendo games as opposed to new, which I wouldn't even consider back when the program first started and the platinum awards weren't total shit.  So while Club Nintendo may not have done much to increase my games library, for awhile at least it did put a stop to me buying used (which was part of the reason the program was started to begin with, even if Nintendo denies it).

Last edited:
Oh dearest me, people on a forum don't like to read dissenting opinions? I am sorry :cry:

I really didn't mean to cause a whole thing, all I tried to do for defpally was explain WHY some of us hate the program. Though, judging how he made several follow-up posts insulting me, I guess he'd rather complain about the complainers than try to see things from another point of view :cry: Oh well, I tried

At the end of the day, it's great you saved $0.25 on a folder, or $1 on a notebook. That doesn't mean jack shit to many other people. What annoys me is that this isn't a hard concept. Throw up a mini art-book like they crapped out for Xenoblade Chronicles or Fire Emblem Awakening pre-orders. Slap some of the music from Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze onto a CD and put it up. It's not hard and it's not expensive. But no, I guess shoelaces are a better prize :whistle2:? Not only does it show a total lack of effort on Nintendo's part, but frankly it's a bit insulting. This is why I hate the program, and that's ultimately all I was trying to get across.

For the record, yes, I have passed on one or two cheaper games (Glory of Heracles) that I would've otherwise bought for the points. Far more importantly however, I recently started buying used Nintendo games as opposed to new, which I wouldn't even consider back when the program first started and the platinum awards weren't total shit. So while Club Nintendo may not have done much to increase my games library, for awhile at least it did put a stop to me buying used (which was part of the reason the program was started to begin with, even if Nintendo denies it).
I see things from other points of view, I just don't think yours is valid.

You complain about your valuable time being wasted (you have said this many times on several threads). Twenty seconds is not a valuable chunk of time when you purchase a new game. And if you are honest, it might even benefit the next game that comes out you would enjoy. "Hey I like this Fire Emblem" repeat often enough by enough people might help them decide to make another one and release it here more quickly.

Shoelaces ARE a better prize, if you are ten or under. Everyone complains that Nintendo focuses on the kids ... and then they don't "get" this? Maybe you don't get one of those art books or CDs because they aren't aiming it at you. They are aiming it at the kids. And sometimes they throw the older gamers a bone in the form of a prize or a VC download. They sell a metric f***ton more Mario games to kids than they do Xenoblade Chronicles or Fire Emblems. Kids want cool shoelaces, not artbooks for games they don't care about.

All I read in your words is your issue with them not catering their loyalty rewards program towards your preferences instead of aiming it at 90% of their customer base. And by not answering those surveys you are further decreasing your share of their marketing perspective. And you think your point of view is sound?

By registering your games if you ever lose your system Nintendo can help you get your digital games back, if you don't sign up for the program then you will be SOL if you lose your system or it gets stolen.

I seriously doubt kids want shoelaces though, that is one of the most boring prizes, maybe a tshirt or a folder or some posters, but not shoelaces.

Im sure they did it for people like me who only register enough games to get platinum then i save the rest for next year to guarantee another platinum. Lol i have enough games to get me platinum right on july 1st already for the 2014-2015 year. Haha i guess if any are ds or wii i better use them now then. Lame

And also i agree ue gold and platinum prizes get worse and worse. One year we got this bad ass mario character statue and then that cool pin collection. But other years we got like a deck of cards snd thisbyears was the majoras mask soundtrack. I mean yea thats cool and all but id rather get cool statues. Long story short i always have a bunch if games on deck to register so ill be good for next year since i still have yet to get yoshis new island, mario kart 8, smash bros wii u, smash bros 3ds,mario golf, and kirby triple deluxe. I also have yet to register pokemon x, dkc tropical freeze, mario 3d world and a handful of others

bread's done
Back