CoD: Modern Warfare 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info-New Map Pack out June 3 (1200MSP)

[quote name='NTolerance']Is there any chance that bad perks such as Last Stand and Martyrdom will actually get removed? This franchise is so highly-regarded that people just seem to accept glaring faults with the game.

We don't need to have Martyrdom just because it was in the first game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I completely agree with this. Some of the perks in the first game almost ruined multiplayer for me. My biggest fear with this game is that the same thing will happen but even worse this time.

[quote name='cgarb84']Yeah I completely agree with this. Some of the perks in the first game almost ruined multiplayer for me. My biggest fear with this game is that the same thing will happen but even worse this time.[/QUOTE]

The person at IW who came up with those perks should be kicked in the balls multiple times. Were there not any internal discussions during testing that raised concerns like "Hey guys, it's not fun to be killed by Martyrdom."

I think Last Stand is a fair perk. Not only is there a slight pause for the person getting shot, but you should never stop shooting just because the person is down. I'm not too worried about these kinds of perks as any dedicated COD4 player would tell you, using these perks instead of Steady Aim and Deep Impact is giving up a lot. (Crossing my fingers Steady Aim is still in MW2.)

[quote name='Littlefields']I think Last Stand is a fair perk. Not only is there a slight pause for the person getting shot, but you should never stop shooting just because the person is down. I'm not too worried about these kinds of perks as any dedicated COD4 player would tell you, using these perks instead of Steady Aim and Deep Impact is giving up a lot. (Crossing my fingers Steady Aim is still in MW2.)[/QUOTE]

Last Stand and Martyrdom punish CQB gameplay. With Last Stand you have to kill someone twice, opening you up as a target to nearby players. If these perks remain, I propose a "Tomahawk Cruise Missile" perk to randomly kill snipers if they kill you. After all, snipers have immunity from Last Stand, Martyrdom, Airstrikes, Choppers, etc...

Speaking from a casual player's stand point neither perk has honestly deterred me from MP though there have been a few scenarios where I've been totally f*cked no matter what it seems e.g. having to reload just as a Juggy Last Stander is down, Tolerance's aforementioned situation and COD4's overly generous grenade blast radius claiming me even after I've ran and jumped out of the way. I can't say I'm particularly fond of the idea of rewarding any player a potentially free kill for dying thus more incentive to remain in their comfort zone instead of adapting either.

Regardless both have taught me valuable lessons during play helping me to form general strategies I now strictly adhere to because of them. If they're here to stay I'll continue to simply deal with them and move on.

[quote name='Neogaf']I mentioned this earlier but stories from the UK version of PSM and OXM came out this week in the UK. I've seen the PSM scans and a part of the OXM pics but still waiting on proper OXM scans. I thought I'd repost all of the information learned. Most of the info in both articles is the same although like I said, I'm waiting for real OXM scans to really understand what was printed there myself instead of relying on second hand information. I've left out any of the story information. I sort of prefer that stuff myself to remain spoiler free but here was the other relevant info.

* Kill Streaks confirmed to exist from the range of 3 to 15. You will be able to assign them before a game although no exact confirmation on how but most likely through something similar to the barracks option in COD 4 wouldn't seem to be an unreasonable speculation.
* It will function as an either or situation. For example a less experienced or less good player might want to only stick to the short kill streak rewards but a more skilled or higher level player may want to stick to the longer streak rewards for example since they are more powerful.
* Grenades have post lob physics meaning they will roll after you toss them. For instance if you tossed them up an incline they could roll back towards you.
* Spec Ops missions are split into five category groupings which go from easier to more difficult. They are:

Alpha
Bravo
Charlie
Delta
Echo

* Alpha has 5 missions. Echo has 3 three. The rest unknown.
* You begin with all of the Alpha missions unlocked and the rest of categories being locked. Each Spec Op mission has three difficulty levels. You get one star for beating the easy difficulty level and 3 stars for the hardest difficulty level. The more stars you earn is how you unlock the Bravo, Charlie, Delta, etc missions.
* Both players have to have unlocked up to the level of the mission you are playing. Meaning if you haven't unlocked Echo missions you can't play them online with somebody who has until you've unlocked them yourself.
* The Spec Op missions have variation between them. Some are elimination style missions where you have to go against a set number of AI like in the leaked video or the end of the mission in One Shot, One Kill in COD 4 where you had to hold off waves of guys until the helicopter arrived. Others might be snowmobile time trial missions or a level where one guy is in the AC-130 and the other guy is on the ground as an example.
* Spec Ops mode only has enemy AI called "juggernauts" which are bad guys wearing body armor so they either take more damage to kill or you need a higher caliber weapon to take them down.

That's pretty much all the useful info. There are some other small story related stuff but like I said I don't like listing that stuff. When some decent scans are made of the OXM article I'll take out the relevant info and update this post.[/QUOTE]

Looks like one of the co-op missions has one guy on the ground and another in an AC-130 gunship.

So awesome.

New Modern Warfare 2 Clip Debuts Knife Throw Kills, Host Migration

V4PMRFkx07g.jpg
Infinity Ward's latest multiplayer reveal for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 features, according to the developer, "uncut" direct feed Capture The Flag gameplay. Neat, yes, but there are some newish details seen for the first time within.
Some of those details you may have heard creep out from recent GameStop and Game Crazy get togethers. Things like Modern Warfare 2's thrown knife kills, featured near the end of the clip. Some, like brilliant-looking blood splatter effects and host migration, are definitely better seen and not heard.
If that host migration addition, also seen near the end of the clip, works that well... well, good lord. Looks like when the multiplayer game host drops out, the game won't end or drop players back to the lobby, but quickly—very quickly—find a new host. Perfect for when you're up against an elite group of Sore Losers.
And, you know, that riot shield gameplay doesn't look to shabby either. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 drops November 10, in case you hadn't heard.
For more Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer footage, have fun revisiting the game's multiplayer video reveal.

My question is, Halo ODST? or MW2?

What are the strengths of each?
Any major game mode differences? In co-op for example? Online? Offline? Splitscreen?
Or is it really just a matter of whether you like real-world FPS action or Sci-Fi FPS action?

MW 2 is going to kick ass though

Halo ODST online is Halo 3. Get both. ODST comes out Sept 22nd. So you have a month and a half to play it and enjoy till MW2.

They both have some kind of co-op, they both have good online. ODST has firefight and single player co-op
MW 2 has special forces missions( which is the co-op) but no single player co-op

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Riot shields in multiplayer? Lame.[/QUOTE]

Did you ever play R6V?? Riot shields are actually a lot of fun when you are with a group of people who like to fight tactical. They work great for going against a camper too.

I was just getting MW2 because I really like COD4, but I just watched the two vids on the front page. NICE! I'm really excited now. This game is gonna be great!

holy crap that vid was amazing. I was thinking about waiting it out for a few months until MW2 went on sale and continue playing MW...but now, damn.

[quote name='mvp828']Did you ever play R6V?? Riot shields are actually a lot of fun when you are with a group of people who like to fight tactical. They work great for going against a camper too.[/QUOTE]

but I bet he has his $150 dollar pre-order down and paid in full already anyways. ;)

:shock: Some very revealing multiplayer footage on gametrailers from the event IW just had:

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/modern-warfare-2/11043?show=Gameplay

And a great hands-on from gamesradar on new perks, killstreaks, deathstreaks, secondary weps... a lot more:

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/m.../a-2009091515053403065/g-20090326142018906090

UAV (3 kills) – Exposes enemy locations on your radar. This is the very same unmanned aerial vehicle from CoD 4. So what makes the perk different in Modern Warfare 2? They can be shot down. Actually, everything can be shot down.

Care Package (4 kills) – Throw down a special smoke grenade to call in an airdrop of goodies on your location. Your reward might be something simple, like an ammo refill, or something awesome, like an instant advanced kill streak. The catch is that everyone, including enemies, can see the packages location on their radar. This isn’t necessarily a drawback, however, as they can be used as bait for ambushes.

Predator Missile (5 kills) - Try not to hit yourself as you guide a fly-by-wire missile from the heavens to the ground. It’s very effective, and scores you an excellent view of your enemies’ positions for some bonus intel.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL @ snipers with silenced shotguns and spawn markers. Hilarity will ensue. Also loving the fact they may have replaced Martyrdom with appropriate perks. Copycat will either motivate casual players such as myself to get better w/ free immediate intel as a bonus or just die more for the prospect of revenge killing their attacker with his/her shit, haha. Care Package is equally sick though I'm the type of guy to run in kamikaze style with a smoke and frags to steal a drop then die with it so no one else will get it.

This game is looking better and better every day. The only problem is I WANT IT NOW. ;(

[quote name='Ink.So.Well.']Also loving the fact they may have replaced Martyrdom with appropriate perks.[/QUOTE]

Wait, what?! Can I get some confirmation on this? Which vid/article did you see this?

Ugh. I meant the inclusion of Deathstreaks to the game mechanic as mentioned in GameRadar article. My mistake. Regardless its appearance would lead one to believe (or hope in our cases, haha) Martyrdom would logically have no place in MW2 as its original purpose (it seemed) was to reward poor/new players. At first glance Deathstreaks seem to get the same job done in a more balanced fashion for public MP.

Now that I think about it I'm extremely curious as to how they've balanced out snipers now that rifles can be silenced.

It almost seems like there's too much stuff. Honestly this stuff is starting to get confusing and I can see a lot of these perks being a major pain in the ass.

The kill streaks and new perks(camping perks basically) and everything else. Believe me I trust them too but still it just seems like they are trying to throw everything, the kitchen sink and your grandma in the game.

They have a perfect track record. Everything is being balanced. You can still only have 3 kill streak rewards at a time.

Have faith.

[quote name='Trakan']They have a perfect track record. Everything is being balanced. You can still only have 3 kill streak rewards at a time.

Have faith.[/QUOTE]

Everything balanced? Like, the capture point layout in COD4 on Domination. Riiight. :booty:

If the prestige edition is the one with the night vision goggles, then I believe it is supposed to be rare.

cant wait
duno which edition to get tho...
did anyone see the xbox live subscription that came with the modern warfare tshirt?
anyone got a link?

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']I see that the prestige edition is sold out for 360/ps3 at amazon. Do you think they will get more or is this thing going to be rare?[/QUOTE]

Each prestige edition is numbered, so supposedly they only made a "limited amount" of copies.

Infinity Ward doesn’t want to see the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition on store shelves or at a discounted price. Speaking to IGN, IW community manager Robert Bowling confirmed that the pre-order bonus -- which includes night-vision goggles -- is indeed limited. In other words, you won’t buying the sweet set of Modern Warfare goodness on Amazon for nickels in the future.

"We've already been asked by retailers to up the production numbers due to demand,” Bowling said, “which we immediately denied.”

"We decided from the beginning that we want this to be for the hardcore fans and early adopters. The fact that it is actually limited is one of the coolest parts, which is why we've individually numbered every copy."

Bowling added later that one run is all fans will get: "It was important to us that this be a true collectors' edition and as such, we do one run, and it's finished. The Prestige Edition is NOT something you're going to be seeing on the cheap 2 months after launch."

The Prestige Edition is a bit of a running joke around the industry. We’ll be greatly saddened when we have to report that some kid stalked his girlfriend with help from the night-vision goggles. But we suppose there’s a chance that the dumb ones won’t be hopping on this bundle early enough.

Any word on COD Classic? I'm hoping to throw it up on eBay or sell it, just want to get an idea of what the price will be when it comes out ($10-15?) on XBLA/PSN.

Hey, for those of you wanting the Prestige edition, they have it back online with Gamestop and I just placed a pre-order in person an hour ago at my store.

[quote name='freshzen']Achievements list is up on x360a.org

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2/achievements/

A lot of Spec Ops achievements on there and 45 collectibles. I think there were only maybe 3-4 achievements for doing something specific during the campaign, no multiplayer achievements at all.[/QUOTE]

No multiplayer achievements makes me VERY happy :D Too bad Spec Ops wasn't 4-player, slowly looking forward to this.

Amazon is taking pre-orders for both 360 and PS3 Prestige version again, although the PS3 version has a disclaimer that they are still looking for an alternate supplier or something to that effect.

[quote name='SynGamer']Any word on COD Classic? I'm hoping to throw it up on eBay or sell it, just want to get an idea of what the price will be when it comes out ($10-15?) on XBLA/PSN.[/QUOTE]

thats exactly what i want to do as well. i already own COD1 on PC GOTY edition, so the COD Classic is no use to me. im guessing it'll be 10 bucks, if not thats a rip off.

[quote name='sublime90']thats exactly what i want to do as well. i already own COD1 on PC GOTY edition, so the COD Classic is no use to me. im guessing it'll be 10 bucks, if not thats a rip off.[/QUOTE]

It'll have multiplayer, so I could see them pricing it at $15 just like Battlefield 1943. If I can get $10 I'll be happy. That will make my cost $58.47, and when I cancel my pre-order at GS, that brings it down to $48.47.

EDIT: completely forgot the $10 off your next purchase coupon from Amazon so technically $38.47 (if you want to get technical) :)

bread's done
Back