CoD: Modern Warfare 2 - Gen. Discussion & Info-New Map Pack out June 3 (1200MSP)

I got a kid the other day using the Super Knife Class. He started screaming, "Stupid Commando, it wasn't fast enough" I loved it.

Responding to the question a few pages back about SMGs and pistols: They are needed in the game. You can argue that assault rifles cover far and mid distances but SMGs are essential in close quarters. MW2 actually caters more to assault rifle users. Even in maps like Karachi, there are parts of the map where SMGs simply cannot reach. Still, SMGs tend to be more fast reacting and lighter so it's not a total waste of time with them. I actually have 3 SMG classes setup because I love them. Pistols are pretty week though. Rarely do you see someone pulling off nonstop kills with pistols. The advantage of using it as secondary weapon is that you can whip it out much faster than shotguns and launchers.

Speaking of handguns/machine pistols, I think I have to ask something bound to start a little something something. What do you guys think is the best handgun/machine pistol as far as use when running around (Hardcore, non, either).

Magnum, USP, and the rest of the handguns and the PP2000, G18, and the rest of the machine pistols.

Personally, I use the PP2000 (machine pistol) or a shotgun (on my sniper, I use the shotgun. LONG range, and CLOSE range...no medium range though). I tried the Magnum once, but found the recoil to be absolutely insane and the power/range wasn't as good as machine pistols, and if you are doing close range the shotguns were more useful.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Speaking of handguns/machine pistols, I think I have to ask something bound to start a little something something. What do you guys think is the best handgun/machine pistol as far as use when running around (Hardcore, non, either).

Magnum, USP, and the rest of the handguns and the PP2000, G18, and the rest of the machine pistols.

Personally, I use the PP2000 (machine pistol) or a shotgun (on my sniper, I use the shotgun. LONG range, and CLOSE range...no medium range though). I tried the Magnum once, but found the recoil to be absolutely insane and the power/range wasn't as good as machine pistols, and if you are doing close range the shotguns were more useful.[/QUOTE]

Akimbo G18. Try it, trust me.

is there a way other than checking in game to see your callsign data (accolades, titles, emblems). I don't play Halo but I think that Bungie had the data available on its websites so players can check whenever. It would be a great feature if other developers had a way for you to check stats/data.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Speaking of handguns/machine pistols, I think I have to ask something bound to start a little something something. What do you guys think is the best handgun/machine pistol as far as use when running around (Hardcore, non, either).

Personally, I use the PP2000 (machine pistol) or a shotgun (on my sniper, I use the shotgun. LONG range, and CLOSE range...no medium range though). I tried the Magnum once, but found the recoil to be absolutely insane and the power/range wasn't as good as machine pistols, and if you are doing close range the shotguns were more useful.[/QUOTE]

Recoil insane on magnum? I don't think it is that bad.

I love magnum + tactical knife

Not as of yet. IW may have something planned, though I'm not sure what and I'm not sure it'll be online stats. There's a code on the back of the manual to enter on their website, but I don't think that feature is up and running yet.

[quote name='SoulReaver']Recoil insane on magnum? I don't think it is that bad.

I love magnum + tactical knife[/QUOTE]

Its not bad, compared to the D. Eagle, it has about the same power but recoil is 10x less.

For Pistols, I do like the Magnum or USP45, however, I prefer the m93 machine pistol. I like to think of it as a Mini FAMAS, very accurate without too much noticeable recoil.

I had never tried the G18 Akimbo's, but I heard they are quite popular. I used the Raffica (M93) once before, but hadn't used a burst gun in a long time and didn't want to re-adjust to using one. I might try it again, as it is quite strong and I used to be able to pwn with burst guns.

BTW, I got back online last night after a few week layoff. I dropped a load in my pants with how much the layoff effected me. Weak sniping, I was slow, and the worst thing is that I had no sniper-eye. I couldn't see anything without the scope, and without my sniper-eye I was getting destroyed. I have got to play more often :lol:

[quote name='RichMeisterMan']...What?[/QUOTE]

You don't think its true? I personally have run into a couple G18 Akimbo users, but they couldn't reach me from 100 feet away :rofl:

In closer range though, I have trouble because of the fire rate. If you can control the recoil, I think they may be good.

saw my 5th or 6th nuke earlier. I was on the winning team each time (most were on Domination). I also joined a game were the other team had a nuke up within 30 sec of me spawning so I pulled the cord. I really hate joining games were there is under 3 min left and/or the other team is winning by a lot and/or has killstreak rewards up like mad. It's become a habit now of just spectating for 10 sec or so to make sure I have a chance to get some points. On the other hand, I do enjoy the occasional win right when I join (unless I die too).

anyone have advice on consisting getting a good spread or "positive" (more kills then deaths, specifically the difference)?

the most I've gotten was maybe +13 but that was with a nice lucky care package. I went +9 earlier on Demo on Sub Base (had a ks of 8). Planted claymores on the middle zone and moved back and forth around the map and noob tubing zones when I heard ones were being taken. I also go for caps when the team needs it (dying a few times though) so it's not like I really farm kills.

I ran with scar (didn't use secondary at all but usually default pistol and shotty no good attachments yet) with scavenger pro, danger close (leveling that up now) and ninjapro. setup works nicely on a good amount of maps for Demo. I just unlock last stand perk. maybe that'll help a bit?

maybe I just need to unlock better ksr? I still need to unlock harrier and CG (of the useful ksr for kills). I suck using the predator, most of the time I don't even get a kill since the target I aimed for was probably in a building with good cover.

I'm level 40 something (just got last stand perk), kdr is under 0.8 but slowly rising (but my spread is ~ -450) wlr is 0.9x so that's good (but no one really plays to win...). my highest ks on record is 10 (no ksr kills except one with predator) but I had a 11 or 12 with care package. Most game I only get a 3/4 ks so I don't get predator too often let alone AH (heard Harrier is better but didn't want it blasted away so quickly...too late now though)

so helps?

I think my W/L ratio would be higher then .60ish if Free for All victories counted for the top 3. I find it funny that you get points for placing top 3 and it says "Free for all victor" when your in second or worst you get credited with the loss. I can understand from a boosting perspective why they did that, but I believe in other shooters I would get a win for being in the top 3.

Ever since they patched this I'm enjoying the game a bit more but can't help but feel at least most weapons had more of a chance against eachother in World at War. MW2 seems to be just dominated by certain types of guns.
Then again MW1 when I played it seemed to be all about how good you were with the P90.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']You don't think its true? I personally have run into a couple G18 Akimbo users, but they couldn't reach me from 100 feet away :rofl:

In closer range though, I have trouble because of the fire rate. If you can control the recoil, I think they may be good.[/QUOTE]

No, it's just how he said it. I mean, I got it. I was just like, "WTF?" when I read it though.

Starting to get burnt out on this game. Reached level 31 and finally got my damn hands on the Stinger. Been playing to unlock all the attachments for each gun, just need to work on the FMJ kills for the FAMAS, I love that damn gun.

I felt minor regret not having the nuke unlocked yet since I had a 25 kill streak game on Rundown in Team Deathmatch today. I used a Thermal Barrett .50cal and a USP .45/Tactical Knife. The vicious combination of Claymores and the Scavenger Pro perk along with Cold Blooded Pro and Ninja Pro. Sexy noob destruction.

@RichMeisterMan, sorry about that what i meant was the G18 akimbos bring the run n gunners to tears. Are they really that common? Of all of the people ive played with none of them have them, i actually stumbled upon them in campaign mode. They arent too good for long distance(actually they arent good at all long distance), but close quarters they can be beasts. I use steady aim and i just run in and just unload on whoever is in front of me on the other team. Using this method i usually end up coming out with a kill, spawn with a uav or spawn with a predator.

[quote name='GreasyButton']Any tips for those FMJ penetration kills? :3[/QUOTE]

I've been pretty much not bothering with going for the 40 FMJ kills challenge on most of the guns I've leveled up. I just can't bring myself to waste a mod slot on it when I could be using something actually useful like a heartbeat sensor or ACOG scope or noob tube. The only situation where I could maybe see it being useful would be with a heartbeat sensor and the Bling perk where you could try to locate people through walls and then FMJ through and kill them. Still sounds like it wouldn't be that good.

I didn't pay much attention to the warnings before going prestige. Needless to say, I was super pissed when I found out that my 800/1000 UAVs & Counter UAVs challenge reset to 0. :bomb:

:rofl: @ LP

FMJ kills aren't too hard when playing FFA on Scrapyard. Also shooting through unbroken glass counts from what I heard.

I plan on playing HC only games when I get home, what type of HC game modes are available? I heard there's no HC FFA games.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Excuse my ignorance, but what is the point of going Prestige?? What do you get, what do you lose?[/QUOTE]

Additional prestige specific weapon challenges as well as extra custom class slots are opened. Other than that I think all you get is a special rank icon next to your name and the fun of knowing you get to redo all the leveling up instead of being bored at level 70.

I was a little disappointed with the FMJ and then unlocking of the large magazine just b/c I love the red dot and with the larger mag and red dot, I would have to use the Bling perk and I go through a lot of ammo (mostly misses) so I have to use the scavenger perk. I got the larger mag for my M4 but not going to even try on the rest.

[quote name='GreasyButton']Any tips for those FMJ penetration kills? :3[/QUOTE]

Play 3rd person Team Tac. Stand behind a thin wall, find an enemy on the other side and when you shoot them, your bullets will go through the wall. You should get a lot of FMJ kills like that.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']Additional prestige specific weapon challenges as well as extra custom class slots are opened. Other than that I think all you get is a special rank icon next to your name and the fun of knowing you get to redo all the leveling up instead of being bored at level 70.[/QUOTE]
So you lose all the weapons, unlocks, etc you previously opened up?

^
you keep all your titles and emblems and start at rank 1 just like you just bought the game. Once you unlock classes you get an additional custom class slot at Prestige 1,3,5,7,9. you must unlock all your weapons, skins for weapons, perks, etc all over again.

its fun to prestige. i like unlocking everything again and trying out new weapons First time around I used M4 pretty much nonstop, this time around i used Famas until I got the M16. Looking forward to using smgs & LMG at some point during the prestige grind.
I need those custom class slots since there are way too many builds i enjoy playing. so that really why im doing it.

Don't forget that you can only unlock the rotating golden cross & skull if you prestige.

But I doubt you will ever get the skull, since you need to complete every green prestige challenge.

I got some my grove back after a few matches. Been using the Intervention/Thermal/Heartbeat and experiementing with some shotguns. I still have trouble with the range but when I come face to face with somebody and blow them and their 2 other buddies away in quick succession, it is soooooo sweet.

Also, I don't plan on going through even one Prestige. I use high level attachments that took a ton of time and effort to get, not to mention destroying my K/D ratio and I don't like the idea of throwing it all away.

I am more then content with sitting at level 70 with my high level gear, pwning people who have low level gear because they Prestiged :lol:

BTW, I just reached 55 today. I would be on the brink of Prestige in CoD4....boo. I unlocked the M21 sniper rifle. I didn't play any Hardcore, so I didn't use it but I like knowing I have it when I play Hardcore. I picked up an M21 once on the field in Core; my holy Lord that thing was weak.

[quote name='LordKefka06']Don't forget that you can only unlock the rotating golden cross & skull if you prestige.

But I doubt you will ever get the skull, since you need to complete every green prestige challenge.[/QUOTE]

golden cross is 1000 AC130 kills ? When you say every green prestige challenge that includes all the prestige gun kill/headshots?
I am still far off from the cross if it is 1000 ac130. Im only at 180ish, just started 3rd prestige. That skull is gonna be one hell of a grind.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I NEED to get 2 kills with one grenade (50 times). Is there any easy way to do this? Any game type that would make this easier?[/QUOTE]

ground war or domination. use riot shield+blast shield and should be easy..worked for me :) most people will try and keep shooting at you so just throw a grenade at them and equip the semtex grenade by the way, makes it alot easier since it's like a sticky and make sure to crouch because if you don't they will shoot at ya feet and take you down. oh and play on sub base..easiest map to get it on too.

[quote name='-BigC-']But how is he going to have the blast shield+semtex?[/QUOTE]

That is true. The Blast Shield takes the equipment spot, so no grenades for you. Riot Shield+Semtex is possible though, but it will make things tougher considering people like me will just stun you and shoot you in the back of your head :rofl:

[quote name='naiku']golden cross is 1000 AC130 kills ? When you say every green prestige challenge that includes all the prestige gun kill/headshots?
I am still far off from the cross if it is 1000 ac130. Im only at 180ish, just started 3rd prestige. That skull is gonna be one hell of a grind.[/QUOTE]

Gold cross is 1000 AC-130 kills, yeah.

The green prestige challenges are the ones under the prestige tab. Not the gun/headshot ones. 1000 sentry kills, predator kills, etc.

O wow, getting that rotating golden skull will be easy then. I thought you had to do each weapon challenge also.

Also, I just got the cross about 8 days ago.

Anyone have any basic tips for a beginner? I recently got the game, and I'm getting owned online. I mostly use the the custom class First Recon which uses UMP45 as main weapon. I find accuracy online to be way harder than in game. Any useful videos or tips on how to improve my game? I'm feeling discouraged lol.

[quote name='beach_BumX']Anyone have any basic tips for a beginner? I recently got the game, and I'm getting owned online. I mostly use the the custom class First Recon which uses UMP45 as main weapon. I find accuracy online to be way harder than in game. Any useful videos or tips on how to improve my game? I'm feeling discouraged lol.[/QUOTE]

Try playing in Mercenary Team Deathmatch to start. I found that was the easiest mode to play when starting out solo. You also have to learn that running around with your head cut off like you might in other shooters is pretty much just suicide in this game. Take your time to and move around the maps a bit more slowly and perhaps try to stick with a teammate or two... don't be afraid to crouch for a second and observe your surroundings for movements and watch your radar for red dots to see where enemies have recently fired shots. Also, learn to knife. When someone is close to you it is an instant kill and if doesn't give your position away on radar. Other than that, just practice and don't get discouraged :)

P.S. My advice may be worthless. I am a newb to this game too.

[quote name='beach_BumX']Anyone have any basic tips for a beginner? I recently got the game, and I'm getting owned online. I mostly use the the custom class First Recon which uses UMP45 as main weapon. I find accuracy online to be way harder than in game. Any useful videos or tips on how to improve my game? I'm feeling discouraged lol.[/QUOTE]

I would suggest getting to KNOW the maps really well. Know where campers hide, know sniping spots and ALL entrance points.
Either watch youtube videos or search around in your own private match to get familiar. Stick with either Free-For-All or Team Deathmatch
or Mercenary Team Deathmatch since those are the most basic game types that don't require a whole lot of tactic.

Also don't worry too much in the beginning of using different weapons setups for different maps. Get use to a particular weapon
setup that is fun for you and just get better at it. Once you get more familiar you can experiment with all the weapons, perks,
attachments and such. Just stick with what you tend to be good at.

Another thing that's helpful is to watch what the better players are doing to get ideas. Watch the killcams so you can learn from them.
We're creatures of habit so even the best players will usually stick to the same thing as long as it's working.

Watch ALL corners. Don't run blindly around the map. I'll usually bring my sights up around any corner I'm not 100% sure of.
And also when you get killed don't make a B-Line straight back to where you were killed. Try to flank them because generally they'll stay
there and wait for you to come back and blast you again.

Hope that helps some. Kick Ass and have some fun and don't worry too much about your stats and all. That'll come later. :twoguns:

Dude Ronzilla totally summed it up! This is my first time playing modern warfare, and I've had the game for almost 2 months. At the beginning I didn't know what was going on!

1. Learn the maps

2. Learn the maps

I think once you know the maps, the spawn points and the action spots it just gets easier from there.

Need a fellow masochist to help complete Spec Ops missions on Veteran. PM me your gamertag; note: I'm micless, but have a 1.8 kill/death ratio at rank 46. Delta and Echo are still locked for me. The waves of enemies aren't fun alone and I loath the Brazil missions.

I 3 star'ed the shooting range, snowmobile race, and suspension bridge. Everything else needs to be on Veteran.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for the help. Yeah, I think the biggest issue is the maps. I'm still so confused on a lot of the maps. I'll just keep practicing, and what sensitivity do most people play on. I'm currently using 5 or 6.

I use the default on sensitivity personally, whatever that is (I think 4), but honestly I am having some thoughts about changing it to a higher one. Being a sniper but with such low sensitivity, I have trouble trailing running enemies if they are close. I just don't turn/aim fast enough.

Also, it is very important to learn the maps, especially the bigger ones like Quarry, Wasteland, Skidrow and Estate. Smaller ones like Highrise are easier.

BTW, you need to need to find a solid weapon that you will use for a long time. For a loooong time it was the Famas for me, but now I just use a sniper rifle and a sidearm shotgun hahaha.

bread's done
Back