Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

With the Hanna-Barbera universe relaunch with Space Ghost, Johnny Quest, Herculoids, etc. it got me thinking about another Hanna-Barbera show I'd like to see continue in comic form. The Pirates of Dark Water. I don't know who owns the rights to it, but I'm still sad this day that I never got to see all the Treasures of Rule collected.

I haven't picked up yet, but here's my pull list for today:

• All-New Inhumans #8
• Amazing Spider-Man #14
• Astonishing Ant-Man #9
• Batman #1
• Black Widow #4
• Civil War II #2
• Civil War II: X-Men #1
• Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade #1
• Deadpool #14
• Green Arrow #1
• Guardians of Infinity #7
• Han Solo #1
• I Hate Fairyland #6 (fuck Fairyland Variant)
• International Iron Man #4
• Justice League #51
• Nova #8
• Poison Ivy: Cycle of Life & Death #6
• Spider-Gwen #9
• Spidey #7
• Star Wars #20
• Superman #1
• Swamp Thing #6
• Timely Comics: Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur #1
• Titans Rebirth #1
• Uncanny Inhumans #10
• Uncanny X-Men #8
• Vote Loki #1
• Year of Marvels: Incredible #1

My pickup:

Batman#1

Green Lanterns #1

Superman #1

Green Arrow #1

Titans Rebirth #1

20160615_155645_zpsxcjpdzc9.jpg

Looking for a recommendation.

Love Red Hood, favorite Bat-Family character. Haven't read any of his solo stuff or many stories he's really a large part of outside of Eternal. Looking to branch out a bit, and would like some recommendations on good stories to pick up (edit: that he's a part of/focus in). Any era is fine. Please and thank you.  O:)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you liked the Bat-Family you can't go wrong with Snyder and Capullo entire Batman run. I think the best are the first two volumes, Court of Owls and City of Owls. Batman Hush and the Long Halloween are very good too. The Walking Dead comics and the current run of Old Man Logan is pretty awesome.

Also All-Star Batman is coming out next month and is written by Snyder too. So you might want to check that out if you want to pick up single issues.

If you liked the Bat-Family you can't go wrong with Snyder and Capullo entire Batman run. I think the best are the first two volumes, Court of Owls and City of Owls. Batman Hush and the Long Halloween are very good too. The Walking Dead comics and the current run of Old Man Logan is pretty awesome.

Also All-Star Batman is coming out next month and is written by Snyder too. So you might want to check that out if you want to pick up single issues.
Sorry, I must not have been clear, I'm looking specifically for Red Hood stories. I'll edit the above. I do love all of those books, though! :)

Also really looking forward to All-Star Batman, particularly the Sean Murphy issue(s).

Love Red Hood, favorite Bat-Family character. Haven't read any of his solo stuff or many stories he's really a large part of outside of Eternal. Looking to branch out a bit, and would like some recommendations on good stories to pick up (edit: that he's a part of/focus in). Any era is fine. Please and thank you. O:)
This comes out at the end of the month:

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/red-hood-and-the-outlaws-2016/red-hood-and-the-outlaws-rebirth-1

Love Red Hood, favorite Bat-Family character. Haven't read any of his solo stuff or many stories he's really a large part of outside of Eternal. Looking to branch out a bit, and would like some recommendations on good stories to pick up (edit: that he's a part of/focus in). Any era is fine. Please and thank you. O:)
This comes out at the end of the month:

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/red-hood-and-the-outlaws-2016/red-hood-and-the-outlaws-rebirth-1

We don't know it's a new series but it could be good, given that you like the Red Hood. That rebirth issue is a one shot and two weeks later the first issue will start.

If you have already read Under the Red Hood, then pick up Red Hood: The Lost Days as well. It fills in what happened with him leading up to that point. Its pre-52 DC, so not sure what all remained in continuity after that.

My pickup:

Batman #2

Black Panther #3

The Dark Knight III #5

Invincible Iron-Man #11

Justice League Rebirth #1

20160706_114835_zpsg3fomiuh.jpg

The Dark Knight III is not good at all and Frank Miller art is getting worse and worse with every issue.

Here are my weekly pickups. I've also been supplementing my print reading by going through the entire Ultimate universe chronologically via Marvel Unlimited.

• Amazing Spider-Man #15
• Batman #2
• Captain America: Sam Wilson #11
• Civil War II: Kingpin #1
• Civil War II: X-Men #2
• Daredevil/Punisher #3
• Deadpool vs. Gambit #2
• Doctor Strange Prelude #1
• Green Arrow #2
• Han Solo #2
• Invincible Iron Man #11
• Justice League Rebirth #1
• Moon Knight #4
• Paper Girls #7
• Poe Dameron #4
• Punisher #3
• Silver Surfer #5
• Spider-Man 2099 #12
• Spider-Woman #9
• Spidey #8
• Superman #2
• Superman: The Coming of the Supermen #6
• Totally Awesome Hulk #8
• Vote Loki #2
• Walking Dead #156

DbX3TPm.jpg

My pickup:

Batman #2

Black Panther #3

The Dark Knight III #5

Invincible Iron-Man #11

Justice League Rebirth #1

20160706_114835_zpsg3fomiuh.jpg

The Dark Knight III is not good at all and Frank Miller art is getting worse and worse with every issue.
I'm pretty sure the art is Janson and Kubert, not Miller. Miller is just helping with story while Azzarello writes. Either way I agree, I get what they're going for with the art, but man is it ugly. It just doesn't work for me.

I DID however really enjoy The Last Crusade. I know it was really hit or miss, but I was into it. The art in that was great.

Oh I was talking about the mini comic. Miller did the artwork for the mini-comic and it seem his artworks in comic issues is getting real bad as he age, most likely because of his health.

I don't know about anyone else but these Marvel Now announcements trickling out are causing me to want to buy less and less marvel. I will be dropping Iron Man during that time, will likely drop the all new-all different avengers, cause well the young people were the only reason I really liked that one honestly, so i'll switch to the young heroes book, which is up my alley. Frankly I don't mind since more and more issues are costing $4.99+. I'm getting more into DC for the most part, but really I just am not enjoying some of what I read. I'm almost thinking of dropping all the x-men stuff, maybe other than all new wolverine, which I find pretty decent. I just am not honestly liking the way most of the Marvel books are going and well I'll show I dislike it with my own dollar.

I don't know about anyone else but these Marvel Now announcements trickling out are causing me to want to buy less and less marvel. I will be dropping Iron Man during that time, will likely drop the all new-all different avengers, cause well the young people were the only reason I really liked that one honestly, so i'll switch to the young heroes book, which is up my alley. Frankly I don't mind since more and more issues are costing $4.99+. I'm getting more into DC for the most part, but really I just am not enjoying some of what I read. I'm almost thinking of dropping all the x-men stuff, maybe other than all new wolverine, which I find pretty decent. I just am not honestly liking the way most of the Marvel books are going and well I'll show I dislike it with my own dollar.
Pretty much the only Marvel stuff I'm reading right now is Lemire and Soule with a select few other titles. Their selection is almost just too daunting, especially right now with all this Civil War II stuff. Not a fan.

The most effective means possible, good for you.

Only Marvel thing I really love is Silver Surfer. Otherwise Waid's Black Widow and Avengers I enjoy, but they aren't one of those top of the stack I have to read now worthy.

Wow, they can't be serious with these leaks.
The transparency of ending all but 1 X-Men book is just gross (and is Death of X just a miniseries?)

My guess is they're trying to transition the more popular Xmen characters into other titles and just so away with standalone titles? Their probable assumption is all the Xmen fans will move to the other titles they disperse the characters into and then they can kill off the other franchise they don't own the movie rights too?

Gross, just gross. This goes to show you 2 things: Disney's control over Marvel grows stronger and stronger and that Disney knows dick-all about the comic business. They want movie franchises only and only movie franchises they control.

Well, I'll probably read Death of X because it finally addresses the Cyclops situation but I'm done picking up new titles and I'll probably eventually drop the few other Marvel titles I'm currently getting.

Sorry Marvel, but this is a piss poor way to re-launch your brand, particularly in light of what DC is managing to pull off.

So if it is not on the list does it mean that the comic series will end? I hope 
Old Man Logan
will continue, that's the one Marvel series I have been enjoying.

Sorry Marvel, but this is a piss poor way to re-launch your brand, particularly in light of what DC is managing to pull off.
Don't worry it will relaunch again in a few years.

I'm guessing they must be missing a few things though - like Ant-Man and Old Man Logan. I'd be surprised if they'd kill of all those when they are giving some screen time to guys like Foolkiller.

Also - Negan is cold as ice. Every once in a while Invincible and Walking Dead seem a little bit slow like they might be losing steam and then they kick me in the butt and get me excited all over again.

Also - Negan is cold as ice. Every once in a while Invincible and Walking Dead seem a little bit slow like they might be losing steam and then they kick me in the butt and get me excited all over again.
I Think what Kirkman does better than most writers is he takes his time and when shit hits the fan, it's just diarrhea everywhere. It's just always the nice calm before the foreboding storm.

Wow, they can't be serious with these leaks.
The transparency of ending all but 1 X-Men book is just gross (and is Death of X just a miniseries?)

My guess is they're trying to transition the more popular Xmen characters into other titles and just so away with standalone titles? Their probable assumption is all the Xmen fans will move to the other titles they disperse the characters into and then they can kill off the other franchise they don't own the movie rights too?

Gross, just gross. This goes to show you 2 things: Disney's control over Marvel grows stronger and stronger and that Disney knows dick-all about the comic business. They want movie franchises only and only movie franchises they control.

Well, I'll probably read Death of X because it finally addresses the Cyclops situation but I'm done picking up new titles and I'll probably eventually drop the few other Marvel titles I'm currently getting.

After some reading I think
all X-Men books are just on temporary hiatus until the Death of X book is finished. Probably want all the X-men fan to focus on Death of X.

After some reading I think
all X-Men books are just on temporary hiatus until the Death of X book is finished. Probably want all the X-men fan to focus on Death of X.
Well I was already thinking of dropping All New X-men. Guess I'll get to think about it. I did like both Wolverine type books though.

Will be thinking of the new avenger type groups, though i'm likely not doing the Avengers, since I really wasn't crazy about all-new all-different Avengers, and was already dropping it. I think I will just go with my gut and likely save a bunch on comics. I was already thinking of dropping some, so this is helping!

I'm really torn about picking up Civil War 2 #3 today. It's been kind of dull so far and the prospect of continuing to dump money into doesn't exactly thrill me. On the other hand, based on the preview description, it feels like it could finally be the issue where things start to pick up.

I'm really torn about picking up Civil War 2 #3 today. It's been kind of dull so far and the prospect of continuing to dump money into doesn't exactly thrill me. On the other hand, based on the preview description, it feels like it could finally be the issue where things start to pick up.
Once more, Bendis sucks at crossovers. So no, don't buy into it especially when you know whatever twist is used just to boost sales (Marvel spoiling it all over on major news sites before it even drops is a sure fire sign) despite the fact it'll return to norm in less than a year. So no, it'll still suck.

Once more, Bendis sucks at crossovers. So no, don't buy into it especially when you know whatever twist is used just to boost sales (Marvel spoiling it all over on major news sites before it even drops is a sure fire sign) despite the fact it'll return to norm in less than a year. So no, it'll still suck.
These crossovers always go against what is going on in the others books too. This whole big issue contradicts the big points of the last few issues of another comic. It all doesn't matter anyways.

So I ended up flipping through Civil War 2 #3 and just blah. I'm definitely out at this point. The whole thing is just feeling too forced. Marvel is general is just starting to turn into the ER or Grey's Anatomy of the comic book world where they're killing off a main character every other week cause they've got nothing more compelling to do.

When I got home tonight I got caught up on some books from the last few weeks.

Steve Rogers Cap 2 was terrible. I'm not one of those, "why did they make him Hydra, this is terrible, I'll never buy another Cap book" people. I actually defended issue 1 to a certain extent in that I called for patience in letting the story play out. One issue later? Nope, not even the slightest interesting payoff. And that art work? Dear God is it terrible. I'm not one to usually complain about art but for God's sake it has to be the most bland looking art in I've seen in a modern book for a long, long time.

I also read the first 3 issues of Detective Comics Rebirth (934-936) and it really grabbed me. Granted, the villain reveal was telegraphed from a mile away but still, I really enjoyed the first 3 issues. I'll likely keep reading it for the foreseeable future. Also, Clayface as a Bat-family member? Kind of fun.

I'm really surprised with myself in how I've flipped lately. I used to be all Marvel with some DC but Marvel is doing very little to interest me these days. I will probably keep up with X-Men and finish out Darth Vader but there isn't much else going on that has me interested in picking up any of their books anymore. And yeah, I'm the stereotypical Batman fan when it comes to DC but some of their other titles have me at least somewhat interested.

Let me ask. I haven't been keeping up but I saw the new covers for the new Marvel Now issues. Is this a new Venom or is this still Agent Venom/Flash? Or maybe nobody knows. Last I read he was hanging out with the GotG. And if you want to spoiler something I don't mind, just use spoilers I guess.

I also read the first 3 issues of Detective Comics Rebirth (934-936) and it really grabbed me. Granted, the villain reveal was telegraphed from a mile away but still, I really enjoyed the first 3 issues. I'll likely keep reading it for the foreseeable future. Also, Clayface as a Bat-family member? Kind of fun.
I agree with this a whole lot. So far, I'm liking Detective Comics even more than the main Batman title. Obviously only a few issues in, but it's already got me hooked, whereas I could not possibly care less about "Gotham" and "Gotham Girl". (Were the names intentionally awful? Is that the point? I can't tell.)

I was also a mainly Marvel guy with some DC and Image comics fixed in and other random stuff.

I'm slowly transferring over to being about 40% DC, 20% Image and other Indie comics, and maybe 40% Marvel. 

I'm dropping series left and right with likely Squirrel Girl, Ms. Marvel, Vision and likely the Ultimates being my favorite. The X-men series (already dropped Uncanny X-men...didn't like the lineup or the story much) are hanging on barely, as well as the two Wolverines of sorts. I am dropping All-New All Different Avengers and likely just sticking to Uncanny Avengers, which is generally pretty decent, maybe not great.  Spider-Man  and Spider-Woman are also good.I think that's about it, and many of those other than the 4 I put as my favorites (with Vision ending after 12 issues though), I will likely buy less Marvel come Marvel NOW. DC has been doing some pretty nice comics in Rebirth with only Action Comics and Wonder Woman being on the cusp. I'm liking Batman enough, though I will temporarily not buy some issues as I don't care about the Monster whatever crossover. Green Lanterns is pretty great, Titans seems cool, I like Super-Man and can't wait for some super people spin offs, and can't wait for the Teen Titans and Harley Quinn to start up. I may pick up Nightwing as well, but that's a maybe for now.

I do have to say I'm not liking team books really at all in Marvel comics. It's all doom and gloom all the time, and probably too much drama, such as Extraordinary X-men. The solo books have more heart easily. I bought New Avengers because of Squirrel Girl, and she seemed to play such a minor role. I hope the same doesn't happen whenever the US Avengers comes out, though I do like Red Hulk too. 

The Green Laterns Corps is pretty good and I really like the artwork too. I didn't read Grayson but the Nightwing Rebirth felt like it was tying up all the loose string of Grayson. I thought it was just okay, my opinion could have been different if I actually I read Grayson but I didn't.

Lady and I rearranged our "library" and put all of our comics, trades, and graphic novels in a corner now simply known as "comic corner". Figured I'd share for fun:

122zzpu.jpg

(Our compromise was her plants for my Sean Murphy art.)

How'd you like New Super-man?
Surprisingly, it was pretty good. I thought it was going to be dumb but the light heartiness of it was pretty entertaining.

Also cool "library", your place looks very nice from that picture alone.

Surprisingly, it was pretty good. I thought it was going to be dumb but the light heartiness of it was pretty entertaining.

Also cool "library", your place looks very nice from that picture alone.
I agree! I really wasn't sure what to expect, glad to see the main character has some personality and a kinda weird backstory. Will be interesting to see (spoilers for issue one I guess?) how this corporation just managed to have the ability to give someone Superman's powers. Will also be looking forward to what original villains Yang comes up with, given his affinity for Chinese history.

And thanks! :D Having a library was one of the reasons we moved into a cheaper neighborhood, so we can afford a big place (living in Chicago) and books to fill it. Our neighbors play lots of loud Puerto Rican music, but hey, the library and closets are what count!

Is anyone looking to pick-up DMZ by any chance? (It's read good!)

I'm switching out for the deluxe editions soon so I'll be unloading my 12 trades. Figured I'd check here first before taking them to the used book store (that I found a signed copy of Sean Murphy's "Off Road" at today for a few bucks. Stoked!)

Anyway, PM me if you haven't read DMZ, I'll give em to ya cheap.

Went to an actual comicbook shop today to buy new release comics for the first time in like 20 years. Cashier cracked the spines in multiple places on my 2 books when ringing me up. :SMH:

Guess I'll be heading back tomorrow to exchange them. Hopefully she didn't crack all the spines on the rest of the copies when she pulled them off the rack for me. I've never seen anyone so rough with books that worked in a shop. And for anyone interested in what I got, it was New Superman.

bread's done
Back