Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='Rodimus']Give Loeb some credit. The guy did write Teen Wolf after all.[/QUOTE]

I give Loeb credit, it just sucks it's all bad credit .:p

Can someone give me a follow-up of what's been happening in Second Coming? I have only been following it through my issues of XForce and Xmen, and now it's ending with this weeks Xforce. I want to know what has happened before i finish it i guess.

theres still alot you could do wil old man logan. now that hes back to kicking ass and raising a banner kid you know hes going to go and kick the ass of the remaining overlords and along the way youll learn of how the other heroes died as well as maybe locating some of their offspring.

damn why the fuck did they bring deadpool into doomwar its almost like an insult to every other character thats been kicking ass in it that hey we cant end this without his help.

[quote name='Rodimus']Jeph Loeb got put in charge of Marvel's TV department. I guess they're brainstorming on a live-action Marvel TV show and he's asking fans for suggestions. What do you guys think?[/QUOTE]

My first suggestion would be putting anyone but Jeph Loeb in charge. I've enjoyed Ultimate X but he still has a long way to go to make up for the crap he's been pumping out for the last several years.

I like the idea of street-level characters as long as the fight scenes are well done.

We also got to remember that Loeb is in charge of this project. He isn't writing it. I seriously doubt if they did a Iron Fist TV show, that he would write it. They'd get someone who knew Iron Fist. Like Matt Fraction or something.

Also, my comic shop is getting all the variant covers for X-Men #1 and I can't get them all, but I think I will get 2, but I can't decide which 2. I know I will be getting the Djurdjevic Dracula variant, but I dunno what else.

[quote name='GhostShark']We also got to remember that Loeb is in charge of this project. He isn't writing it. I seriously doubt if they did a Iron Fist TV show, that he would write it. They'd get someone who knew Iron Fist. Like Matt Fraction or something.

Also, my comic shop is getting all the variant covers for X-Men #1 and I can't get them all, but I think I will get 2, but I can't decide which 2. I know I will be getting the Djurdjevic Dracula variant, but I dunno what else.[/QUOTE]

What the crap is up with this vampire marvel crossover? It seems like we got Twilight in our Xmen. I'm totally confused on what's going on with this.

I'll still get Xmen#1 this week though. I was thinking of the white blank variant cover for myself.

They'll get a TV writer with only a cursory knowledge of the character and most likely someone that Jeph Loeb worked with before, maybe even a Heroes writer. :roll:

[quote name='neocisco']They'll get a TV writer with only a cursory knowledge of the character and most likely someone that Jeph Loeb worked with before, maybe even a Heroes writer. :roll:[/QUOTE]

The two Heroes writers weren't bad on Ultimate FF and X-Men.

[quote name='ppself']What the crap is up with this vampire marvel crossover? It seems like we got Twilight in our Xmen. I'm totally confused on what's going on with this.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I also feel like Marvel is trying to cash in on this vampire craze. I'll get my X-Men fix from Uncanny so I'm passing.

Zombies, Vampires, what's next? Godzilla?

[quote name='Rodimus']Yeah, I also feel like Marvel is trying to cash in on this vampire craze. I'll get my X-Men fix from Uncanny so I'm passing.

Zombies, Vampires, what's next? Godzilla?[/QUOTE]

Well the Vampire stuff makes sense if you've red the recent Dracula comics and one-shots. At least they are relatively cool vamps and not sparkling douchebags that wear no shirts.

[quote name='GhostShark']Well the Vampire stuff makes sense if you've red the recent Dracula comics and one-shots. At least they are relatively cool vamps and not sparkling douchebags that wear no shirts.[/QUOTE]

yeah but the main hero of that one shot looks alot like angel actually too much like him but the one shot was cool. now i see why blade is getting his new push.

I am glad Blade is getting a new push. People overlooked him in Captain Britain and the MI13 because nobody read that amazing book (and if Vampire State doesn't win the HUGO award for best graphic novel this year, I will go crazy). He will be in a Spitfire one-shot coming up soon as well.

I am tired of vampires in any form and don't want them in my X-Men. I'll pay to see Godzilla though. Seriously, enough with vampires, werewolves, pirates, zombies, mummy's, & creatures from the black lagoons. Where's Frankenstein? And no, not whatever they're doing with Punisher.

Can we lay all these old horror monsters to rest for a good 5-10 years?

I'm so bored with Marvel. The Quesada reign is taking its toll.

I'm actually getting back into the old Dark Horse comics. Specifically the excellent Omnibus lineup for Predator, Aliens, Terminator, and Star Wars. The books will probably never have any value, but it's a great way to collect all that stuff. They do a much better job than Marvel. Mainly in price and content for your dollar.

I don't recall many vampires in many main Marvel series outside of Captain Britain and the MI13 and Ultimate Spider-Man. So much hate.

[quote name='GhostShark']I don't recall many vampires in many main Marvel series outside of Captain Britain and the MI13 and Ultimate Spider-Man. So much hate.[/QUOTE]

they were there in the 90s with the whole midnight sons stuff. same for werewolves and the like.they had that whole little group of horror monster/demon comics. darkhold , blade and his crew, ghost rider, i believe moon knight as well.

[quote name='lokizz']they were there in the 90s with the whole midnight sons stuff. same for werewolves and the like.they had that whole little group of horror monster/demon comics. darkhold , blade and his crew, ghost rider, i believe moon knight as well.[/QUOTE]

Well, yeah, I know that. I loved the midnight sons stuff. People like Blade and Ghost Rider have been out of the loop lately. I think having some underworld stuff could be good in the Marvel U. Unless we'd like to see more corrupt leader stuff (Stark, Osborn) or more alien things. That's just me though.

i like how theyre mixing it all up. used to be this group would stay here this one here ect. now yove got wolverine hanging out with tony stark , moon knight as a secret avenger and now blade is about to work with the xmen. a few decades ago that would have never happened and its fun to see them doing that now. i want to see more of darkhawk too but not on earth he was a good addition to nova.

[quote name='lokizz']i like how theyre mixing it all up. used to be this group would stay here this one here ect. now yove got wolverine hanging out with tony stark , moon knight as a secret avenger and now blade is about to work with the xmen. a few decades ago that would have never happened and its fun to see them doing that now. i want to see more of darkhawk too but not on earth he was a good addition to nova.[/QUOTE]

Nova has been great ever since the cosmic war. I really like how the secret avengers all have military backgrounds in some sense. this will be great with the super soldier running the team.

on a side note. I saw the beast cover variant for secret avengers #1 and it was selling for $30 while the moon knight variant for #2 was going for $40. craziness. wish I had that kind of money to blow.

Yeah, I really love the "I Am An Avenger" variant covers but they all sell for 30 dollars or more. I really want the Beast and Spider-Woman ones.

[quote name='HuBu']on a side note. what's going on with X-men first class casting. they might as well cancel it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure, i just heard they got that kid that played KickAss for cyclops.

I was never interested in the comic first class, so i have no interest with the movie.

How many of you guys think Hope of the Xmen is just Jean Grey reborn?

I swear one scene she is arguing threatening cyclops, next scene they lock eyes all love style.

[quote name='ppself']How many of you guys think Hope of the Xmen is just Jean Grey reborn?

I swear one scene she is arguing threatening cyclops, next scene they lock eyes all love style.[/QUOTE]

yeah she did that
whole phoenix glow
going on but so far shes an annoying ass character. im interested where the whole avengers childrens crusade mini is going.

Avengers: Children's Crusade #1 is the best comic of the year. Everyone should read this book and the original Young Avengers 12 issue series. Also, comic review blog coming soon.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I'm so bored with Marvel. The Quesada reign is taking its toll.

I'm actually getting back into the old Dark Horse comics. Specifically the excellent Omnibus lineup for Predator, Aliens, Terminator, and Star Wars. The books will probably never have any value, but it's a great way to collect all that stuff. They do a much better job than Marvel. Mainly in price and content for your dollar.[/QUOTE]

I picked up one of the Transformers Omnibus and regardless of collectibility its excellent having a little bit smaller book and soooo much packed into it. I'm definitely going to be picking up more of these Omnibuses.

The new Transformers Ongoing has been a solid title. I'd recommend it to anyone interested in a Transformers comic.

The comic I look forward to the most every month is The Thanos Imperative. Marvel's cosmic stuff is always a lot of fun. I like how Drax went back to his original look.

walking dead still doing is thing and being amazing. damn i knew that guy would end up being trouble but whatever they try to do wont work
. i figure the preacher man is going to tell them what carl did as well as how they dealt with the cannibals.
damn i cant wait for the next issue.

[quote name='lokizz']walking dead still doing is thing and being amazing. damn i knew that guy would end up being trouble but whatever they try to do wont work
. i figure the preacher man is going to tell them what carl did as well as how they dealt with the cannibals.
damn i cant wait for the next issue.[/QUOTE]

I can't wait for it either! You know it's gonna have some great action in it. It's also going to be in full color because of it being the 75th issue.

Dang how many Deadpool origin comics they releasing this month??

And both origin stories are different from each other :p

moonknight 10 was cool avengers academy very damn cool they hit on something interesting id never considered when it came to
quicksliver and what is like o be the fastest man alive.
i also like that
chick who wants him to train her
and i hope she really is
connected to taskmaster hes one of my favorite villans period.
overall heye making some great strides with this new heroic age stuff.

Well, since you are a Taskmaster fan, Lokizz, you should be on the lookout in August for a Taskmaster monthly book starting where is a good guy!

Best stuff this was Avengers Academy #2, X-Files/30 Days of Night #1, Amazing Spider-Man #637 and X-Men Second Coming #2. I wish I could review them, but I will be gone for a week. :|

Really happy with the conclusions to Second Coming and Grim Hunt.

Loved that Peter gave Sasha the Mark of Kaine, as well as Kraven reshaping his family as he sees fit. Not sure if I like what they did to Arachne, but at least Arana got a less shitty costume out of it.

I saw that Xfiles crossover with 30, and i really wanted it. I was already at my "limit" for comics this week. I'll have to get it next week, unless someone here says it sucks. :p

I'm really looking forward to ending the Second coming, and that Astonishing Wolverine $ Spider-MAn #2.

I hate waiting for comics to come in the mail.

Superman 701 might take a while to grow on me. It's based completely on dialogue and it wasn't always good.
I received Absolute Planetary Vol. 1 today and I forgot how great this comic is. Fantastic package.

[quote name='GhostShark']Well, since you are a Taskmaster fan, Lokizz, you should be on the lookout in August for a Taskmaster monthly book starting where is a good guy!

Best stuff this was Avengers Academy #2, X-Files/30 Days of Night #1, Amazing Spider-Man #637 and X-Men Second Coming #2. I wish I could review them, but I will be gone for a week. :|[/QUOTE]

that will be interesting to see and ill definelty check it out and now ill check out that 30 days/ xfiles crossover. i saw that in passing when checking out the release schedule and wasnt sure if i saw correctly or not. the latest spiderman was cool now i have to look up what you called that thing
he did to kravens wife
. i fell off of comics rigt as they started the whole spiderman clone saga so i guess i need to do some homework.

ive got a question about nightcrawler.
i know most of you know hes dead but wasnt it shown a while back that his dad was a demon so isnt it possible he will and could return from hell?

I picked up the x-files and 30 days of night cross over. It's a decent set up but it still hasn't really pulled me in yet. But yeah it's only the first issue gotta give it some time to pick up.

I also picked up Revolver. It's weird so far. I'm only a few pages in. I'm really on the fence about the art style I don't know if I like it or hate it. But either way I'm just a sucker for post apocalyptic stories.

[quote name='lokizz']that will be interesting to see and ill definelty check it out and now ill check out that 30 days/ xfiles crossover. i saw that in passing when checking out the release schedule and wasnt sure if i saw correctly or not. the latest spiderman was cool now i have to look up what you called that thing
he did to kravens wife
. i fell off of comics rigt as they started the whole spiderman clone saga so i guess i need to do some homework.[/QUOTE]

The thing he did to Sasha Kravinoff was the "Mark of Kaine". It was Kaine's signature attack.

[quote name='manthing']:rofl: @ the end of Walking Dead #75[/QUOTE]

yeah wasnt too happy with how they ended it but wow alot fo interesting surprises there.
i hope rick isnt losing it he was right tha the guy should be punished for beting his wife but with him going crazy and whipping out the gun hes pretty much either going to get kicked out or imprisoned maybe even killed.

i wonder if everyone else will give up their guns and let him take the fall.itd be crazy to have him die now afer everything hes survived. oddly enough though i think maybe some of the people there will side with rick since the place seems a bit corrupt.

that said theres alot of secretive shit going on in that place.

[quote name='batman1939']When does it take place? The first mini series was great but I hated the War Within[/QUOTE]

It's the most current story taking place after "All Hail Megatron". They're on Earth but the war is over (for now), the Decepticons flee Earth, Autobots stay but the humans hate them. If you start from issue #1 you really don't need much back story. It's new reader friendly.

Finished "Second Coming." I really liked it. I haven't been this into X-Men since Messiah Complex. Does anyone still like Cyclops? He's such a dick.

Also enjoyed Spider-Man: Grim Hunt. Probably one of the darkest Spidey stories ever. So the thing Peter did to Sasha was the Mark of Kaine? I never read the clone stuff so I missed this. Still I'm a little disappointed Venom or Anti-Venom weren't in the mix. There needs to be another story arc with those two.

One thing I'm confused about with Grim Hunt is the Kravens seem to know Peter is Spider-Man. If they always knew why did the Chameleon not recognize Peter as Spidey when he took his identity like 20 issues ago?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been into anime and manga for almost a decade now and have decided to get into comics finally. I'm picking up Batman: Hush tomorrow wand I'm getting ready to order Batman: The Killing Joke. Any other suggestions? I would like to try out Iron Man and Green Lantern...looking for good stories.

[quote name='SynGamer']I've been into anime and manga for almost a decade now and have decided to get into comics finally. I'm picking up Batman: Hush tomorrow wand I'm getting ready to order Batman: The Killing Joke. Any other suggestions? I would like to try out Iron Man and Green Lantern...looking for good stories.[/QUOTE]

I just started getting into western comics a few months ago after sticking to anime and manga, too! I think the current Invincible Iron Man series by Matt Fraction and Salvadore Larroca is really good. There are 4 TPBs out: The Five Nightmares, World's Most Wanted 1 and 2, and Stark Disassembled, which covers issues 1-24. Issue 28 just came out. The series is fairly young, so it's really easy to catch up and doesn't really require a lot of backstory.

I also really enjoy Invincible from Image comics. It's a really good superhero comic with some pretty crazy twists and good writing. You can get the first issue for a dollar.

Marvel's Ultimate universe is definitely worth looking at. It's only about...10-ish years old so it's fairly easy to catch up (compared to several decades worth of story in the main universe). I've started Ultimate Spiderman, Ultimate Iron Man, The Ultimates (really cool Ultimate universe version of the Avengers), and I'm going to start Ultimate X-Men. Zero previous knowledge is required to start up the Ultimate comics.

My friends are hardcore into this stuff and said to stay away from the new stuff. Can't remember the names they said I should go with but I'm just trying to get idea's right now. I'm primarily looking for bundles...or collections of issues similar to 'Hush'.

[quote name='Rodimus']It's the most current story taking place after "All Hail Megatron". They're on Earth but the war is over (for now), the Decepticons flee Earth, Autobots stay but the humans hate them. If you start from issue #1 you really don't need much back story. It's new reader friendly.

Finished "Second Coming." I really liked it. I haven't been this into X-Men since Messiah Complex. Does anyone still like Cyclops? He's such a dick.

Also enjoyed Spider-Man: Grim Hunt. Probably one of the darkest Spidey stories ever. So the thing Peter did to Sasha was the Mark of Kaine? I never read the clone stuff so I missed this. Still I'm a little disappointed Venom or Anti-Venom weren't in the mix. There needs to be another story arc with those two.

One thing I'm confused about with Grim Hunt is the Kravens seem to know Peter is Spider-Man. If they always knew why did the Chameleon not recognize Peter as Spidey when he took his identity like 20 issues ago?[/QUOTE]

I loved Cyclops in Astonishing X-Men, but outside of that he's been a total douche lately.

bread's done
Back