Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='Rodimus']Also enjoyed Spider-Man: Grim Hunt. Probably one of the darkest Spidey stories ever.[/QUOTE]

Some old Spidey stories that are really dark in tone are "The Death of Jean DeWolff" in Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #107-110 (the Sin Eater storyline) and "Kraven's Last Hunt" in Web of Spider-Man #31-32, Amazing Spider-Man #293-294 and Spectacular Spider-Man #131-132. These will be hard to find in collected editions but whether you can get them in trades or single issues, they're definitely worth the read.

[quote name='GhostShark']I loved Cyclops in Astonishing X-Men, but outside of that he's been a total douche lately.[/QUOTE]

heavy hangs the head that bears the crown. i give him till the end of the year before his character snaps and loses his shit. and wtf is with him nailing psychics the guy gets the hottest damn psychics but he so freakin uptight.

im really interested in what theyre doing with xforce though that team is made up of some heavy hitters.

[quote name='lokizz']heavy hangs the head that bears the crown. i give him till the end of the year before his character snaps and loses his shit. and wtf is with him nailing psychics the guy gets the hottest damn psychics but he so freakin uptight.

im really interested in what theyre doing with xforce though that team is made up of some heavy hitters.[/QUOTE]

It's going to be weird to see Deadpool in a black and white suit. That will take some getting used to. Also the fact that Kyle and Yost are off the book makes me pretty skeptical.

[quote name='GhostShark']It's going to be weird to see Deadpool in a black and white suit. That will take some getting used to. Also the fact that Kyle and Yost are off the book makes me pretty skeptical.[/QUOTE]

For me X-Force was always hit or miss. I'll check out the first issue of this new arc anyways.

Is Cyclops attracted to Hope or something? Kinda weird since it's like his adopted granddaughter in-law.

[quote name='Rodimus']For me X-Force was always hit or miss. I'll check out the first issue of this new arc anyways.

Is Cyclops attracted to Hope or something? Kinda weird since it's like his adopted granddaughter in-law.[/QUOTE]

i think theyre hinting
shes jean grey reincarnated which could be after what emma saw.

[quote name='lokizz']i think theyre hinting
shes jean grey reincarnated which could be after what emma saw.
[/QUOTE]

I figured as much, but it's still weird.

[quote name='Rodimus']For me X-Force was always hit or miss. I'll check out the first issue of this new arc anyways.

Is Cyclops attracted to Hope or something? Kinda weird since it's like his adopted granddaughter in-law.[/QUOTE]

lol that's what i was thinking too. I didn't really like Second Coming, nothing really happened. Just some lasers and mutants dieing. No real answer to who or what Hope is.

I am finding myself leaning away from Xmen titles, and more towards Avengers titles. New Avengers #2 was really great, i never thought i woudl like these characters since i always was a Xmen reader. XForce could be cool, but who knows. I'll get the first issue and see what happens.

Could be cool to see what happens when Cyclops finds what Wolverine was doing behind his back. Cyclops vs. Wolverine! Just like the old days.

Ultimate Avengers was good as always. Ultimate New Ultimate's (wait, wut?) Was alright. Getting stale though.

Glad they are ending one Deadpool series now. Although they are just replacing that series with him on Xforce. And i was really hoping Cable would be on Xforce.

I like what they did at the end of Avengers Academy #2 involving Quicksilver. I was afraid Marvel was going to ignore his little episode with the Terrigen Mists during Son of M and Silent War. It was mentioned briefly near the end of the Mighty Avengers run by saying Quicksilver was a Skrull, now he's redeemed, blah blah blah. I figured it would fall into obscurity never to be resolved. It's not turning out like I thought it would but at least I'm seeing some development. I'll continue to get Avengers Academy just for this reason.

[quote name='Rodimus']I like what they did at the end of Avengers Academy #2 involving Quicksilver. I was afraid Marvel was going to ignore his little episode with the Terrigen Mists during Son of M and Silent War. It was mentioned briefly near the end of the Mighty Avengers run saying it was a Skrull, Quicksilver is redeemed, blah blah blah. I figured it would fall into obscurity never to be resolved. It's not turning out like I thought it would but at least I'm seeing some development. I'll continue to get Avengers Academy just for this reason.[/QUOTE]

those diff avengers series are some of the best stuff out there next to the walking dead imo. man i really hope that chick who was talking to quicksilver is really who they think she is that opens up alot of interesting possibilities. thunderbolts is awesome too but i wonder if usagent might go bad.

Best comic title ever.

gsmt4.jpg

just watched the redhood cartoon movie and its pretty good. i was even impressed with the new joker voice still wished hamill was in it but the guy who did it pulled it off.

[quote name='Rodimus']I need to pick up the Walking Dead Compendium. Everyone says it's awesome and I need to get in the action.[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes you do. You will not be disappointed. :cool:

Good to hear. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about WD. They got the Compendium on Amazon for $37. For 48 issues I think it's worth it.

[quote name='lokizz']just watched the redhood cartoon movie and its pretty good. i was even impressed with the new joker voice still wished hamill was in it but the guy who did it pulled it off.[/QUOTE]

I saw that this weekend too. Never even heard of it until Friday when i saw a ad on tv for it.

Pretty good flick. I didn't really like the Jokers voice, maybe i am to use of Mark Hamill's voice. I'll get over it.

Everything else was entertaining.

[quote name='Rodimus']I need to pick up the Walking Dead Compendium. Everyone says it's awesome and I need to get in the action.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's awesome. The compendium is a great deal, worth it. I went for the hardcovers, not sure if you want to go that route blind though- it would be a much bigger investment. I managed to pick them up ~$10/ea at a local convention. One of my favorite series hands down so it was easily worth it.

[quote name='SynGamer']I'm picking up Batman: Hush tomorrow wand I'm getting ready to order Batman: The Killing Joke. Any other suggestions? I would like to try out Iron Man and Green Lantern...looking for good stories.[/QUOTE]

If you like Hush, you should check out The Long Halloween if you haven't already, Jeph Loeb wrote that too. He also wrote Dark Victory but I haven't read it yet.

The Invincible Iron-Man series is great- I loved the world's most wanted arc.

[quote name='Rodimus']Good to hear. I've never heard anyone say anything bad about WD. They got the Compendium on Amazon for $37. For 48 issues I think it's worth it.[/QUOTE]

At that price, it's a no-brainer. Definitely get it.

[quote name='Rodimus']Anyone read Chew? Been thinking about getting into that series too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've got it in my pull, it's pretty unusual. It's usually entertaining. I can see it being a hit or miss type of thing though, so check out the taster's choice TPB and see if you like it.

That is a pretty nice edition. I may get it. I've only read the first issue on my phone and I found it quite enjoyable and different.

Whoring out Thor is not a bad thing at all! I cannot wait till Fraction takes over Thor nor can't I wait for Hickman's Ultimate Thor.

I'm on the fence about the Ultimate Thor title. I really don't need any more comics on my pull list, but I'd hate to pass it if it ends up being awesome.

Fraction doing Thor is awesome news. The current arc is a little weak but tying up all the loose ends JMS left the series with isn't an easy task.

[quote name='Rodimus']Marvel's really whoring up Thor now.[/QUOTE]

probably because of the movie hes got coming out.the costume in it look horrible.

So there will be a new Daredevil after Shadowland and two teaser pictures have been released by Marvel; Gambit and Nova.

Nova would be cool, but he is rarely on Earth. He's also going to be huge in Secret Avengers later on down the line so says Brubaker. Nova is also rumored to be the team leader of the also rumored Galactic Avengers team so I don't see him being DD.

On the other hand, we have Gambit. He's been missing of late in all of the X-Men books and street defense and vigilantism is second nature to him. He also has similar agility to Matt Murdock. He makes a whole lot more sense than Nova.

I agree. Keep Nova in space. Unless Annihilus & Terrax start terroriazing Hell's Kitchen it doesn't make sense. I know he got his roots as a street level hero, but he's transcended that. I'd hate to see Marvel take a step back with the character.

i still dont get why they ended his series anyway . they g to the trouble of adding darkwhawk( who is still i believe wanted for asasinating lilandra) and that chick namortia only to kind of just end it suddenly. unless it all gets folded into the guardians of the galaxy or they start a new comic altogether.

too many unawnsered questions. gambit as daredevil would be cool but my question is where is daredevil going? the real one i mean.

[quote name='ppself']What happened to Daredevil? Why is he all murdered out with the costume?[/QUOTE]

That has yet to be announced. I'm guessing as Shadowland progresses, we will get more info.

There's one panel in SHIELD 3 that will definitely make you wonder what exactly is going on. Regardless, still one of the most creative books going.

Been reading GI Joe: Cobra and Cobra 2 from IDW, great series. Got the first issue of True Blood.. it's... well, it felt like nothing really happened in issue 1. I'm hoping it gets better. Loving Kevin Smith's Green Hornet.

some of you may have already seen it but if not theres a pretty cool documentary that comes on either tlc or history channel called Comic Book Heroes Unmasked. They get pretty deep into the history of comic books and how many diff companies/franchises/characters were created. its worth watching for anyone who likes comics.

[quote name='lokizz']some of you may have already seen it but if not theres a pretty cool documentary that comes on either tlc or history channel called Comic Book Heroes Unmasked. They get pretty deep into the history of comic books and how many diff companies/franchises/characters were created. its worth watching for anyone who likes comics.[/QUOTE]

Is this new? I think I saw something like this on the History Channel about a year or two ago. But I did like it.

[quote name='Rodimus']Is this new? I think I saw something like this on the History Channel about a year or two ago. But I did like it.[/QUOTE]

ive seen it on there twice so far but never the whole thing so it seems like it could have been on there for a while i just dont know how long.

I didn't know the main Punisher was FrankenCastle. I thought FrankenCastle was a alternate Punisher, robot, or something along those lines. That's a pretty dramatic change for a popular character.

[quote name='Rodimus']I didn't know the main Punisher was FrankenCastle. I thought FrankenCastle was a alternate Punisher, robot, or something along those lines. That's a pretty dramatic change for a popular character.[/QUOTE]

i think in the end hes going to be fixed or something. i wasnt a fan of that whole storyline but im enjoying his going after daken.

So I picked up the Blackest Night Hardcover for pretty cheap (10 bucks!) and I'm three issues in and I'm being blown away. This stuff is great.

[quote name='GhostShark']So I picked up the Blackest Night Hardcover for pretty cheap (10 bucks!) and I'm three issues in and I'm being blown away. This stuff is great.[/QUOTE]

How'd you get it that cheap? I bought it off amazon for $19.

[quote name='sotc1988']How'd you get it that cheap? I bought it off amazon for $19.[/QUOTE]

Half-Price Books. It's used, but practically brand new.

[quote name='neocisco']There's one panel in SHIELD 3 that will definitely make you wonder what exactly is going on. Regardless, still one of the most creative books going.[/QUOTE]

Yea, i don't know what the crap is going on after reading it. Now because of that panel i gotta go read the last one.

Good series though. But i am having a hard time relating this SHIELD to the modern day SHIELD. Unless something happens that diminishes their "power" over the world.

I know what was supposed to be going on in that panel but the way it was drawn it definitely looked like something else. :lol: In a similar vein, there's a panel in Batman: Odyssey 2 that gives off a comparable vibe as well.

man walking dead 76 was a shocker definelty didnt see that coming but considering where things seem to be heading it makes sense. i had the head of that town figured wrong.

Yeah, The Walking Dead just gets better and better. It really amazes me. It's one of my reviews I will do this week, too. :p

bread's done
Back