Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='GhostShark']Justice League is ok, but it's kind of hard for me to read this and understand that these heroes don't know each other.

JLI was a steaming pile of doo doo.

Batgirl was pretty fun, but the more I read it, the more I want Stephanie Brown back.

Animal Man and Swamp Thing were amazing. Good, solid titles there.[/QUOTE]

Felt the same about most of those, I haven't gotten to Animal Man yet.

I do like how Barbara is haunted by the Killing Joke events. I'm interested to see how far they take that.

And Swamp Thing is amazing. From what I've heard about and seen from Scott Snyder, he's easily becoming my favorite writer.

I also picked up Action, which was eh, and Detective, which was great.

Scott Snyder is a pretty damned talented writer. American Vampire is still his best work at the moment. I can't wait for his take on Batman. The only book of his I can't get into his his new horror series, Severed, from Image.

I used to buy comics 16 years ago, now I'm sorta interested in getting back into a few titles, especially with all these relaunches...

Anyone wanna recommend me some I can start on now that are really good? I'm looking maybe Batman or the Detective Comics Batman. I read Swamp Thing was awesome, also, the reason I'm getting back into it a lil' is because of the Ninja Turtles reboot... Anyone else read it? pretty solid even with the origin story change... still early on but off to a nice start.

I liked the TMNT reboot also. I never read a TMNT comic before so this was a the perfect starting point. I liked it so much I'm thinking about buying the TMNT Ultimate Collection vol.1 I'm definatly keeping up with this book.

I read Batgirl #1 last night and I really liked it, although I have been out of the comics loop for many years now aside from on the iPad, and that is usually just downloading free issues. I'm also going to pick up Batman and Detective Comics. I also picked up The Ultimates #1 and thought it was good too, but that art for the preview of the new Ultimate X-Men looked too cartoon-y.

Seeing all the praise for Swamp Thing might get me to pick that up too.

[quote name='GhostShark']Scott Snyder is a pretty damned talented writer. American Vampire is still his best work at the moment. I can't wait for his take on Batman. The only book of his I can't get into his his new horror series, Severed, from Image.[/QUOTE]

There's only been 1 issue, you haven't had a chance to get into it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never really been into comics before, so I'm hopping on the bandwagon with the New 52. I picked up JL (meh), Detective and Action so far. Nothing that I really must have this week although I might look into Batwoman.

No one else picked up Green Arrow #1? I actually liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

Also interesting to see how many new people are reading comics now because of the DC relaunch. I guess it worked.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']No one else picked up Green Arrow #1? I actually liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

Also interesting to see how many new people are reading comics now because of the DC relaunch. I guess it worked.[/QUOTE]

I've read Marvel for a few years now (Secret Invasion, and I went back and read Civil War too, so that long) but never DC. Some titles piqued my interest (Secret Six, Gotham City Sirens, Birds of Prey, Batmand and Robin) but I never bothered reading them. I picked up a few of the new #1's because I figured it was way easier to jump in now than later. I haven't gotten around to reading any yet though. Still making my way through Fables (which is fucking awesome btw).

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']No one else picked up Green Arrow #1? I actually liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

Also interesting to see how many new people are reading comics now because of the DC relaunch. I guess it worked.[/QUOTE]

I was, but as I skimmed though it, it looked kind of meh.

DC roped me in with the relaunch. Almost got my friend too but I fucked it up by telling him that the Robin in Batman and Robin is Damian. He asked me who that was and when I told him, he figured out that the whole thing is really a trap.

[quote name='neocisco']There's only been 1 issue, you haven't had a chance to get into it yet.[/QUOTE]

If it it doesn't fully entertain me after one issue (of a limited series) then I won't get the rest of the series. That's just the way of things. If the rest of the series gets good praise then I will pick up the TBP or HC.

I also like the Champion app on the iPad. It's a comic book magazine on the iPad that is very well designed. Reading that made me want to get back into comics as well.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Anyone know any good places to buy current comics online?[/QUOTE]

Whenever I buy comics online (not much anymore) I use Midtown Comics.

[quote name='GhostShark']Whenever I buy comics online (not much anymore) I use Midtown Comics.[/QUOTE]

And they still have Detective Comics #1...ordered with Swamp Thing #1 and with KRYPTON coupon code and economy shipping came to $7.47. Now to wait. ;)

Damn, my local store sold out of almost all this week's DC stuff already. I picked up the last Batwoman, but the other titles I was considering trying (Frankenstein, Superboy, Batman & Robin) were sold out, as were most of this week's titles. Just as well, really, since I already made a pull list at another store for 7 titles, so I don't need too many more to keep up with. I also picked up Ultimate Spiderman 1.

I was going to pick up Ultimate Spiderman, but it was in a white bag.

I'm new to comics, but I'm assuming Marvel did this in order to stop people from skimming/reading it and buy it outright. So since I couldn't get a glimpse of it, I decided to wait on it.

Reviews seem good though, may have to go by tomorrow and pick it up.

I wish all Fear Itself issues were like #6. Also, Journey Into Mystery is very good this week. I really wish some titles, like Ghost Rider and Alpha Flight, weren't tagged under Fear Itself. It seems pretty forced into those books. They're still fun reads but they could be so much more.

Anyone know for sure if S.H.I.E.L.D. (Fraction) is ment to be apart of Marvel's main 626 cannon or is it just its own universe? It could be since its all supposed to be apart of a secret history, but it seems a pretty far stretch if this stuff was going on without any mention of it before.

Since one of the competitor comic store closed, more people frequenting my shop. Buddy told me that earlier this evening. Gonna pick up this weeks and hope something is left.

Out of the new 52 DC titles I've read so far from last week, only one I really enjoyed was Action Comics.

[quote name='GhostShark']I wish all Fear Itself issues were like #6. Also, Journey Into Mystery is very good this week. I really wish some titles, like Ghost Rider and Alpha Flight, weren't tagged under Fear Itself. It seems pretty forced into those books. They're still fun reads but they could be so much more.[/QUOTE]

journey into mystery has been the most solid and entertaining series marvels had for a while now imo. theyve done alot to make diff characters very interesting especially mephisto and loki ( new loki).

i hope they expand on the whole
throne of satan thing its a cool concept seeing as how theres so many diff names for "satan" so it makes you wonder if theres one or many.

also i noticed an angel in there with no face who is that ?

To respond to some posts:

Marvel is currently making it a practice to bag some of their #1 and landmark issues since the practice seemed to do so well with the FF death issue. It's already gone overboard though, IMO, since they've done it on USM 160, Ultimate Fallout 4, Ultimates 1, Ultimate Hawkeye 1 and now USM 1.

It's my understanding that SHIELD is part of the 616 universe. BTW, SHIELD is written by Jonathan Hickman, not Fraction.

I thought The Rinse was a particularly good crime comic. Plus, you can't beat $1 for a comic.

SHIELD by Hickman is part of the 616 universe, but most of that knowledge is unknown to the majority of the universe. Even Nick Fury.

I have a feeling I would like the polybagging of comics more if it was a random cover you caught. Sort of like opening a pack of cards. However, I don't really factor in a polybag when buying a book. If I am going to buy it, I will buy it, polybag or not.

Anybody else enjoying the Executive Assistant event from Aspen Comics going on now? When I first heard of the event, I thought it was going to be pure fan service, but I've been hooked on the event since the start.

How the hell did I get 2 things wrong? Anyways thanks for clearing that up. I wonder if this SHIELD story will be something more like a major event. Or if Nathaniel will say anything to Reed about this considering Hickman is writing FF too (yeah, I got it right this time) Good read. Probably my favorite book right now. Kinda reminds me of Assassians Creed.

Yesterday tore through the first 17 issues of "Y The Last Man". It is pretty good so far. My main complaint is that the women all seem to be attractive. Hopefully there is a reason for that revealed later in the story. The world seems a little too small as well in terms of timeline.

[quote name='LXL_Guy']Since one of the competitor comic store closed, more people frequenting my shop. Buddy told me that earlier this evening. Gonna pick up this weeks and hope something is left.

Out of the new 52 DC titles I've read so far from last week, only one I really enjoyed was Action Comics.[/QUOTE]

You're in the Westminster/Thornton area aren't you? I Want More is my turf son... :bouncy:

F Mile High Thornton. F them in their Stupid Asses. ;)

They were wiped instantly of basically all the new 52, I thank god we got the pull list sorted before the launch. The only reason they're sitting on a stack of Hawk and Dove is due to the Liefield signing on 9/28.

[quote name='slowdive21']Yesterday tore through the first 17 issues of "Y The Last Man". It is pretty good so far. My main complaint is that the women all seem to be attractive. Hopefully there is a reason for that revealed later in the story. The world seems a little too small as well in terms of timeline.[/QUOTE]

I actually just read Y The Last Man about a week ago and I liked it a lot.

There's a pretty sad part near the ending and then the ending itself is pretty weird, but overall it was enjoyable.

I think it would make an interesting movie if done correctly.

I've only been able to acquire Action Comics, Detective Comics, Animal Man and Batman & Robin, thus far. :[

But I did buy 30 Gold Key comics for a buck a piece. :)

Regarding Y The Last Man, which is one of all-time favorite stories.

It was kind of weird that all the chicks were sexy and attractive but I don't think it degraded the series at all. Also, when Agent 355 died, I cried. She was easily my favorite character of the book. It's one of the saddest moments I've ever read in comics.

[quote name='GhostShark']Regarding Y The Last Man, which is one of all-time favorite stories.

It was kind of weird that all the chicks were sexy and attractive but I don't think it degraded the series at all. Also, when Agent 355 died, I cried. She was easily my favorite character of the book. It's one of the saddest moments I've ever read in comics.
[/QUOTE]

I was able to pick up all 5 volumes of the Y the Last Man Deluxe Edition at the Borders when they had items for 60% off.

[quote name='slowdive21']My main complaint is that the women all seem to be attractive.[/QUOTE]

Attractive women in comic books? IMPOSSIBLE

[quote name='Rodimus']Attractive women in comic books? IMPOSSIBLE[/QUOTE]

Right, but for something that got such high praise, I feel it is still lacking in some areas. I finished book 5 and I am waiting for the rest of the series to arrive. Don't get me wrong I like it and Vaughn's style of writing (he reminds me of Bendis when he wrote the Sam n Twitch run).

I have only read Bendisis non superhero work (as I got out of new comics around when the ultimate titles were released)

Hmm I didn't realize they are both from my hometown. Maybe that is why I like their writing styles. I probably went to gradeschool with Vaughn :lol:

Sorry a little out of it this morning.

I think it's just that the women that Yorick associates with are attractive.

When he gets to
the prison town in Ohio
and
the heroin ship
there are unattractive women in the background.

[quote name='blindinglights']I think it's just that the women that Yorick associates with are attractive.

When he gets to
the prison town in Ohio
and
the heroin ship
there are unattractive women in the background.[/QUOTE]

So all the ugly ones are
locked up
and/or are
on drugs
?

Makes sense.

I just read some reviews and decided to pick up some non-mainstream superhero books from DC, I managed to get Swamp Thing, Frankenstein, and Demon Knights. I wanted Animal Man as well but it seems to be out of stock everywhere. One comic shop here is selling it for $9 because it's so hard to find, I guess. I don't want it that badly, I'll wait for a reprint.

I found Animal Man at a local Comic Shop...last one. It's pretty good. I have Swamp Thing, Frankenstein, Resurrection Man and Batman coming to me from Midtown Comics. Can't wait.

I'm really getting sucked back into comics because of the new 52 thing. Never was really into DC comics, but I'm glad I've experienced some of these stories.

Batman and DC presents are on my pull list. Nightwing is really the only thing I think reviews might push to to try... nothing else this week seems to pique my interest.

[quote name='Rodimus']So which Batman title seems to have the most potential so far? Thinking about picking one up.[/QUOTE]

Of what's been released? Detective or Batwoman seem to be the top ones.

However, this week Batman #1 drops and Scott Snyder can do no wrong. I expect this book alone to be the standout out of the whole relaunch.

If you haven't read Detective yet have someone put a piece of paper between the last and second to last pages for you. It's a 2 page spread but the next to last page needs to be read before you see the last page. Trust me, you'll be glad you didn't see the last page until the end. DC really should have had an ad break before that last page.

bread's done
Back