Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

I thought all the new titles dropped already, my bad. I'll probably pick either Detective or Batman. But wasn't their also Dark Knight and Batman & Robin?

[quote name='Rodimus']I thought all the new titles dropped already, my bad. I'll probably pick either Detective or Batman. But wasn't their also Dark Knight and Batman & Robin?[/QUOTE]

Batman & Robin already came out, it was 'eh' at best.

Dark Knight doesn't come out until the forth week.

[quote name='DestroVega']^what's Dark Knight? another Batman title I assume but what's different about it?[/QUOTE]

A different writer/artist.

Really, that's it. DC is just capitalizing on the Batman hype that the films and games have produced.

Batwoman and Batgirl are my favorite Batman books thus far. However, Scott Snyder is on Batman. So it will be interesting to see how he handles a different Batman than Dick Grayson.

[quote name='Rocko']Yeah, the word seems to be that Batman #1 is the best title of all of the New 52.[/QUOTE]

Honestly I want to say Action Comics is the best one so far.

So aside from what I've got my 3 year old so far, Young Justice/Ben 10, what else is appropriate/geared toward his age, or slightly older? He loves all things action and super heroes.

Picked up Amazing Spider-Man 666-669 to catch up on Spider Island arc. Also grabbed Ultimate X-Men to see if I want to get into that series. Was consider trying Captain America, Punisher or Daredevil since all of those are recently new series from Marvel, but skipped on all 3 since I already have like 13 things on my pull list. Also managed to find a copy of Animal Man, and I'm ordering Severed from Midtown Comics since it's completely sold out around here.

Also had Batman and DC Universe Presents waiting from my pull list.

So as of now my pull list looks like:
Action Comics
Amazing Spider-Man
Batman
Batman: The Dark Knight
Batwoman
DC Universe Presents
Justice League
Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
Severed
Swamp Thing
Superman
Ultimate Spider-Man

As well as possible additions of Animal Man, Ultimate X-Men and Near Death depending on how I feel about them. Also might check out some of the New 52s I wasn't considering that get good reviews this week and next week, if there are any.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='advanced']The new Cap and Daredevil series are really good, if you end up interested later on.[/QUOTE]

That's what I've been hearing... the only reason I haven't tried them is because I have absolutely *zero* experience with those characters. As a child I was DC-only for whatever reason, so getting back into comics books as a (young) adult, I'm (clearly) gravitating towards characters I'm familiar with. I couldn't tell you one thing about either of those characters, other than the fact that Cap died recently to much media fanfare, and Daredevil is blind (thank you, horrific Daredevil film, for giving that bit of knowledge).

If you want to get more experienced with the characters, check out Brubaker's runs on both of them. Thats how I got into them. Right before then too, I didn't like Cap/Daredevil at all. Then I read both of those runs and it changed my opinion. I wouldn't miss a Daredevil/Cap issue now.

Brubaker is still working on Cap (& Cap and Bucky) and I don't know who's writing Daredevil, but after reading both of those, I really dig the characters.

I picked up Ultimate X-men at lunch today. Definitely intrigued. I've always liked some Kitty anyway but I'm liking where it's at so far.

[quote name='advanced']The new Cap and Daredevil series are really good, if you end up interested later on.[/QUOTE]

I want to jump on to Daredevil, but I don't really want to get sucked into the Marval Universe (even though I'm jumping on the Ultimate line) it seems like every other month there's some crossover event and I don't want to have to feel that I need to grab other issues besides Daredevil or Cap to get the full story.

Oh hell. I ordered Daredevil 1-4, Captain America 1-3, and Punisher 1-3 from Midtown ($35 shipped). Now I'll be caught up if I want to pursue the series, and if not, oh well.

[quote name='Indignate']I want to jump on to Daredevil, but I don't really want to get sucked into the Marval Universe (even though I'm jumping on the Ultimate line) it seems like every other month there's some crossover event and I don't want to have to feel that I need to grab other issues besides Daredevil or Cap to get the full story.[/QUOTE]

Thats a self control thing. Me, I suffer from it too. :)

Really, if you follow comic websites or have friends that read comics as well, you can piece together the main story line and the other comics involved run a small story line that runs at the same time period as the event. You don't really have to get the main issues, but you can. Brubaker's Captain America is tops. If you could only grab one, I'd grab that, but I do totally understand what you're saying.

Thanks for suggestions on books for my son. Went with Tiny Titans and Young Justice. Ended up getting myself Batman #1, apparently the variant, Suicide Squad, and Dead Shot. Wish I would've gotten ahold of the Superman books and a few others.

[quote name='JP']I picked up Ultimate X-men at lunch today. Definitely intrigued. I've always liked some Kitty anyway but I'm liking where it's at so far.[/QUOTE]

i hope its better than that ux mini seres they did. ok i think this 52 dealy may end up better than expected. red hood getting his own comic? this more than makes up for them cancelling the secret six.

Has anyone been using Marvel or DC's subscription services? i just picked a lot of books off both of them because of how cheap they were. And DC is offering a Buy 4 get 1 free deal.

Any issues I should know about that?

I just got finished reading The Avengers Childrens Crusade #7 and man....

That shit is pretty awful. Its like the worlds worst fan-fiction got picked up and Marvel ran with it. I don't want to stop reading with only 2 issues left though..... lame.

Children's Crusade #7 is pretty good for what it is. No reason for the X-Men to be there at all. Cyclops comes off as a major douchebag, and he is, but not to that extent. What is killing the series is the fact that it's been delayed several times. And that is something that just can't happen on a bi-monthly series.

I'm really loving Amazing Spider-Man. I'm glad I picked up the back issues to start at the Spider Island prelude issue. I'm considering getting Ultimates 1 and 2 and maybe trying one of the new FF books when I go pick up the new books next Wednesday. But I really need to stop picking up new series, haha.

FF (Future Foundation) is just ok. I can't recommend nor dissuade you from checking it out. I plan to drop it once the traditional Fantastic Four monthly starts up again.

I read through Ultamatum, Death of Spider Man and Fallout yesterday.

Ultimatum seemed rather poor, specially since I read just the five issues and had no point of reference for what was going on with characters like Dormammu who shows up for about a page. A lot of the deaths seemed kind of forced, except probably for the two in the final battle. There was a lot of random cuts too. I'm assuming that's all filled in in the side issues or you're just supposed to make it up in your head why Wolverine goes from fighting the Hulk at night, to the top of Peter's house with Kitty in the morning.

Spider-Man was so good that I'm disappointed that I never got into it sooner. The writing was great along with the art. I'm hopeful that the new stuff can hold up to it.

Fallout was pretty decent as well. It really sets up a lot of the stuff in the new books, which is why I wanted to read it to begin with.

I'm currently going through Ultimate X. After that, I think I'll be all set to take on the new Ultimate Comics books.

I really like FF. Yeah it's a bit slow but it's probably some of the best FF books I've read in a while. Still I have a question. Wasn't there a point
before he died
when Johnny Storm was going to have a kid with some random slut? Was it a plot that ended up going nowhere or did the girl have a miscarriage?

Daredevil seems to avoid the usual crossover stuff pretty well. For Shadowland you really only had to read the Shadowland mini series and regular Daredevil issues to keep up.

All of volume 2 is worth reading (though you can skip Echo: Vision Quest if you only want the Daredevil story)

[quote name='Rodimus']I really like FF. Yeah it's a bit slow but it's probably some of the best FF books I've read in a while. Still I have a question. Wasn't there a point
before he died
when Johnny Storm was going to have a kid with some random slut? Was it a plot that ended up going nowhere or did the girl have a miscarriage?[/QUOTE]

was it the chick he met at a club? also didnt he have a kid with a skrull? I like FF its cool to see spiderman getting recognized for being smart its kinda sad to think hes a genius but everyone for the most part though he was an idiot.

still waiting for the shatterstar/longshot tease to be done with i want to know dammit father and son or maybe brothers. time to let the secret out.

Can't wait to finally get Teen Titans later this week. So far there's been ups and downs with DC.

In terms of Marvel I'm only doing Ultimate Spidey & X-men right now. Both have been enjoyable reads so far.

Well I finished "Y the Last Man". I wish it would have ended on issue 59.

I don't mind that 355 died, since the story was set up as a tragedy.

I think the "wrap ups" are pretty weak. I did like reading the run though.

[quote name='lokizz']was it the chick he met at a club? also didnt he have a kid with a skrull? I like FF its cool to see spiderman getting recognized for being smart its kinda sad to think hes a genius but everyone for the most part though he was an idiot.

still waiting for the shatterstar/longshot tease to be done with i want to know dammit father and son or maybe brothers. time to let the secret out.[/QUOTE]

They did have a kid but it ended up the child wasn't really there's. Typical comic book BS. But yeah, it was a girl he meet in a club. I just found the anser to my question. The chick he got pregnent choose to hide herself in time to protect the baby from FF's enemies. Probably to be forgotten and never heard from again, kinda like that run Millar did a few years ago.

Well, with the DC reboot or whatever, I've found myself involved with comics for the first time in over a decade. Now, don't get me wrong, I've kept up with non-superhero graphic novels (Maus, Contract With God, Y: The Last Man, etc.), but as far as buying a monthly comic, well, I haven't in quite a long time.

My question is, what is the most cost effective way to get 4-5 different series delivered to my house monthly? The closest comic shop to me is about an hour and a half away and I'd rather not deal with driving there and potentially missing issues.

If anyone has any experience with HeavyInk, TFAW, MidTown or any other's monthly service, I would love to hear about them.

I've also looked into DC Subscription Service...with a buy 4 get 1 free going on right now, but I've heard that they are in horrible condition when you get them and you get the issues several weeks after they hit the stand. Please chime in on this if you've had experience with dealing with DC directly.

Thanks to anyone who responds.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Well, with the DC reboot or whatever, I've found myself involved with comics for the first time in over a decade. Now, don't get me wrong, I've kept up with non-superhero graphic novels (Maus, Contract With God, Y: The Last Man, etc.), but as far as buying a monthly comic, well, I haven't in quite a long time.

My question is, what is the most cost effective way to get 4-5 different series delivered to my house monthly? The closest comic shop to me is about an hour and a half away and I'd rather not deal with driving there and potentially missing issues.

If anyone has any experience with Heavy Ink, TFAW, MidTown or any other's monthly service, I would love to hear about them.

I've also looked into DC Subscription Service...with a buy 4 get 1 free going on right now, but I've heard that they are in horrible condition when you get them and you get the issues several weeks after they hit the stand. Please chime in on this if you've had experience with dealing with DC directly.

Thanks to anyone who responds.[/QUOTE]

I know that DC subscriptions are sent 3 weeks after they hit stands, but that is the price you pay for such a cheap rate. With their 5 for 4 deal you are only paying $20 per series for the year.

In regards to getting books delivered, I have been using http://www.impulsecreations.net/catalog/ for about three months now. Their service is great. If you have a comic on your pull list you will get it for 30% off retail. The shipping is about $5.50 regardless of the amount. They are easily the cheapest comic subscription service I have found. I checked Heavy Ink, Midtown, TFAW sci fi genre, etc.

TFAW is slightly expensive at cover cost, shipping is about over 3 for a comic, and they charge a quarter to bag and board.

I only had a one comic but I was getting hit for $6 for each month. Though the comic was in super fantastic shape.... not worth it if you can get somewhere else.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Well, with the DC reboot or whatever, I've found myself involved with comics for the first time in over a decade. Now, don't get me wrong, I've kept up with non-superhero graphic novels (Maus, Contract With God, Y: The Last Man, etc.), but as far as buying a monthly comic, well, I haven't in quite a long time.

If anyone has any experience with HeavyInk, TFAW, MidTown or any other's monthly service, I would love to hear about them.

Thanks to anyone who responds.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to be placing an order at www.dcbservice.com today or tomorrow. They have the cheapest prices that I've seen and they charge a flat rate of $6.25 for shippping. They advertise heavily on Comic Geek Speak and have a code, CGS8, that should take an additional 8% of the order.

Thanks for the replies...I'll check out dcbservice and impulsecreations...

Any other suggestions for subscription services are more than welcome.

As far as the DC New 52 are concerned, I've read Detective Comics, Animal Man, and Swamp Thing. I have Batman, Wonder Woman, Resurrection Man, Frankenstein: Agent of Shade and Suicide Squad coming to me.

I think that I'll be getting Detective, Batman, and one of the others for me (probably Swamp or Animal Man unless one of the titles I'm getting this week blows me away). I'll also be picking up Wonder Woman for my daughter who is so excited to get her first WW solo comic (she has been playing Justice League at recess for the past couple years!).

You might want to reconsider Wonder Woman. It was a particularly brutal issue with
a horse being blatantly decapitated and another violent moment that I don't exactly recall
. Someone I know was particularly disappointed by it since his young daughter is a huge WW fan.

[quote name='neocisco']You might want to reconsider Wonder Woman. It was a particularly brutal issue with
a horse being blatantly decapitated and another violent moment that I don't exactly recall
. Someone I know was particularly disappointed by it since his young daughter is a huge WW fan.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the warning...I was worried that might happen...we'll have to find something else for her then.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Thanks for the replies...I'll check out dcbservice and impulsecreations...

Any other suggestions for subscription services are more than welcome[/QUOTE]

Check out mailordercomics. I was using them for a while.

Anyone following the Ultimate line?

Ultimates #2 was great.
Reed Richards basically kills the Asgardians.

Ultimate Spider-Man is still going pretty slow, but it's a good build up and origin.

Definitely excited to see what comes next.

[quote name='Indignate']Anyone following the Ultimate line?

Ultimates #2 was great.
Reed Richards basically kills the Asgardians.

Ultimate Spider-Man is still going pretty slow, but it's a good build up and origin.

Definitely excited to see what comes next.[/QUOTE]

I read Ultimates #1 and I've ordered the second issue. I really enjoyed the first, but I didn't like the artwork in the sample of Ultimate X-Men, so I skipped that one. I have Ultimate Spider-Man but I haven't opened it yet.

Hopefully you didn't read my spoiler then. The second issue really is great and it's one of the reasons why I love the Ultimate line over 616.

I liked the art in X-Men, it's not as great as in the other two books, but I don't think it's so bad that it warrants skipping the title.

[quote name='m3talst0rm']Thanks for the warning...I was worried that might happen...we'll have to find something else for her then.[/QUOTE]

If you don't already know, Tiny Titans is an excellent kids comic. October is the All Batgirls issue too!

20534_400x600.jpg

http://dccomics.com/dcu/comics/?cm=20534

I dunno, I read the first issue of each of the new Ultimate series and it just seems bland. The very talented writers are not playing to their strengths. Also, there is no reason they should be 3.99. No way in hell are they worth that. I'd be more inclined to follow them if they were 2.99.

I'd also like to add, that while New Avengers 16.1 wasn't all that good, I am glad to see that Norman Osborn is going to be back in the thick of the Avengers universe. Now, we just need to get Bendis away from the books.

Batman #1 was okay. More like a ploy to catch new readers untill
the cells they find of Dick's are something along the lines of a comic book bullshit arc
Should I switch over to Detective? I'm really not looking forward to how Batman turns out.

bread's done
Back