Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']Hey! I like Deadpool... also I hope you are not including Uncanny X-Force in your hope for cancellation... we may have to have a nerdy slap fight! :)[/QUOTE]

I have no problems with X-Force or Deadpool on a team. His solo adventures always leave something to be desired. I've always felt that Spider-Man, Wolverine and Deadpool had too many books and that talent could've been used to give other characters their own series.

[quote name='GhostShark']Here is hoping that they cancel all Deadpool books because he isn't that great of a character and his books always recieve some of the lowest reviews. At least Marvel has toned down the amount of Wolverine books coming out each month.[/QUOTE]

I liked some of the side DP books. Deadpool Noir, Max or whatever else there was. Team up and Corps just felt pretty bad after a bit. I really liked the original DP appearances, the first series, etc. Now he seems like he is a Loony Tunes character.

[quote name='diddy310']Seems like the artist alley at comic conventions are the only place you can find stuff like that consistently - plus you would be buying them directly from the artist. A few I got at NYCC last year.... (they are 11x17,12x18, or 13x19 usually)

DSCN0924.jpg

DSCN0921.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Wow - that's what I'm talking about. That stuff would be awesome all matted and framed up.

I like the Sirens print. I read the first 6 issues (colected) and it is ok for light reading.

Right now I am reading Batman black hand? (justa collection of batman issues) and I plan on reading arkham city next as an intro into the game.

[quote name='slowdive21']Right now I am reading Batman black hand? (justa collection of batman issues) and I plan on reading arkham city next as an intro into the game.[/QUOTE]

Black Glove? If so, then it's Morrison and that should be fine.

Black Mirror? If so, then it's Snyder and that should be fuckin excellent.

[quote name='Indignate']Black Glove? If so, then it's Morrison and that should be fine.

Black Mirror? If so, then it's Snyder and that should be fuckin excellent.[/QUOTE]

It's the first one.

I already read the second one.

So I was listening to NPR earlier and they were discussing Psychopathy, primarily in corporate CEOs, but as they were talking about some of the traits of Psychopathy I got to thinking about something. One of the biggest traits of someone suffering from Psychopathy is a lack of fear, or at the least the failure for it to register. In some cases the person's brain does not send the signals which would be need for someone to feel fear. Now with that said, would a person suffering from Psychopathy not make the perfect Green Lantern? Now granted there are other traits not so becoming a GL, lack of empathy, tendency to be manipulative (kinda sounds like the guardians actually...), but barring that, Psychopathy could at the least help a GL against fear.

[quote name='Indignate']Black Glove? If so, then it's Morrison and that should be fine.

Black Mirror? If so, then it's Snyder and that should be fuckin excellent.[/QUOTE]

I finished Black Mirror a few weeks back. It. was. AWESOME. :) Snyder is one of my favorite writers in comics.

[quote name='Clak']So I was listening to NPR earlier and they were discussing Psychopathy, primarily in corporate CEOs, but as they were talking about some of the traits of Psychopathy I got to thinking about something. One of the biggest traits of someone suffering from Psychopathy is a lack of fear, or at the least the failure for it to register. In some cases the person's brain does not send the signals which would be need for someone to feel fear. Now with that said, would a person suffering from Psychopathy not make the perfect Green Lantern? Now granted there are other traits not so becoming a GL, lack of empathy, tendency to be manipulative (kinda sounds like the guardians actually...), but barring that, Psychopathy could at the least help a GL against fear.[/QUOTE]

Having the capacity to know fear and not be affected by or overcome it is probably better though.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']I finished Black Mirror a few weeks back. It. was. AWESOME. :) Snyder is one of my favorite writers in comics.[/QUOTE]

Definitely my number one. American Vampire is a fantastic book and Swamp Thing and Batman are equally as good.

[quote name='Clak']So I was listening to NPR earlier and they were discussing Psychopathy, primarily in corporate CEOs, but as they were talking about some of the traits of Psychopathy I got to thinking about something. One of the biggest traits of someone suffering from Psychopathy is a lack of fear, or at the least the failure for it to register. In some cases the person's brain does not send the signals which would be need for someone to feel fear. Now with that said, would a person suffering from Psychopathy not make the perfect Green Lantern? Now granted there are other traits not so becoming a GL, lack of empathy, tendency to be manipulative (kinda sounds like the guardians actually...), but barring that, Psychopathy could at the least help a GL against fear.[/QUOTE]

Unless the rings' lore has changed, the ring would not select a psychopath.

That's not my point though, I'm not talking about technicalities like that, I'm talking about theory. As I also said, it seems to me that the Guardians themselves have a few psychopathic tendencies of their own, which is an interesting thought. Detachment from emotion, they're very manipulative, are unable to show empathy, they're a group of little blue psychopaths.

now that some of the new 52 titles are making their way to trade paperbacks... what ones are the best to pick up. i had my eye on batman vol. 1 court of owls...

any of the new 52 that aren't "popular superheros" that are really worth getting?

opinions on demon knights, green arrow, swamp thing, suicide squad... those are the other 4 im kinda interested in.

thanks guys im kinda new into comics... was around for the 90s boom with image and valiant mostly. and i have some of the classics - batman year one, darknight returns, watchmen, kingdom come... and some newer ones - green lantern rebirth... just looking for some more suggestions. it's hard getting back into superheros after being away for a while.

i really only want to buy tradepaperbacks/hardcovers... its easier.

[quote name='WiiNet']Animal Man (which is out) and Swamp Thing (August?) are both supposed to be really good.[/QUOTE]

These two and Batman are terrific. Can't recommend them enough and I already have multiple times in here haha.

Resurrection Man
JLDark
Animal Man
Swamp Thing
Suicide Squad
Detective Comics
Batwing
I, Vampire
The Shade
Teen Titans
Batman and Robin

Those are my favorites of the new 52. All of the mystical stuff is the best. Batman and Robin is also really great. It's really dedicated to telling the story of Batman trying to be a real father.

There's still a lot that I haven't read but my favorites out of the New 52 thus far are:

Animal Man
Batman
Batman and Robin
Batgirl
Justice League
Nightwing

A few others are decent, but I find those are the ones I look forward to most.

I like Animal Man and Resurrection Man alot from the new 52. I'm not a big fan of how Harley Quinn is these days though she was probably my favorite DC character pretty much since I was in middle school. So.. honestly I'm still a little unclear on the whole new 52 thing (I usually follow stuff from Image, etc.) and have jumped in and out of Batman over the years (did read the whole Harley comic series from a while back), but I'm still trying to figure out all the changes now. This is a new universe or some offshoot then, right? Batman and Catwoman don't know who the other one is. I caught that much from the first Catwoman issue. I read Gotham City Sirens, but now I assume Poison Ivy, Harley, and Catwoman never had those interactions (especially since some had to do with torturing Batman's identity out of Cat). Are all the old villains still in this universe? Bane, Scarecrow, Poison Ivy, Solomon Grundy, Croc, Hush, etc. and do they possibly all have different history? Like is Bane's story with Batman the same? This may be stupid question - but I've always had trouble following the bigger DC and Marvel universe since there is so much stuff so I generally hop in and out and follow certain story lines. I've read most of the Batman TPBs out there

There's a chance hardcore isn't getting a second issue. It was slated to release in 2009 as part of Top Cow's "pilot season". Only one of the group would continue so this just may be the remnant of that. Though it would be awesome if it kept running. That would make the issues I picked up increase in value.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']There's a chance hardcore isn't getting a second issue. It was slated to release in 2009 as part of Top Cow's "pilot season". Only one of the group would continue so this just may be the remnant of that. Though it would be awesome if it kept running. That would make the issues I picked up increase in value.[/QUOTE]

Really? That would suck.

There are no current plans for Hardcore to continue. blk00civicsi's description of the situation is pretty accurate. Top Cow realized they had a Robert Kirkman story just sitting in a drawer and realized they essentially had free money just sitting there. There is always a possibility it could become an ongoing series but Kirkman certainly doesn't have time for it right now. He's too busy counting his money. BTW, I thought it was really shady the way Top Cow designed the cover for this issue. IIRC, absolutely no reference to it being a one-shot plus Marc Silvestri received a cover credit before Brian Stelfreeze. Stelfreeze did the art and Silvestri only did the cover and really nothing else. The issue was essentially a money grab.

[quote name='neocisco']There are no current plans for Hardcore to continue. blk00civicsi's description of the situation is pretty accurate. Top Cow realized they had a Robert Kirkman story just sitting in a drawer and realized they essentially had free money just sitting there. There is always a possibility it could become an ongoing series but Kirkman certainly doesn't have time for it right now. He's too busy counting his money. BTW, I thought it was really shady the way Top Cow designed the cover for this issue. IIRC, absolutely no reference to it being a one-shot plus Marc Silvestri received a cover credit before Brian Stelfreeze. Stelfreeze did the art and Silvestri only did the cover and really nothing else. The issue was essentially a money grab.[/QUOTE]

Oh well, then consider me duped into buying it but I still enjoyed it nonetheless. There's a good outline for a movie there if they wanted to option it.

That could also be a reason they published it, to put it out there fishing for a movie/TV deal. With Kirkman's name attached that certainly doesn't hurt especially considering Thief of Thieves was recently optioned by AMC for a series. In Hollywood, Kirkman is currently the new hot girl that transfers into a new school.

been looking for awhile cant seem to find a copy of runaways book 1 hardcover. my local shops only have mix n match issues. anyone know where i can find a copy ?

Okay, I want to pose this question here:

The term "graphic novel"....how do you all feel about it?

It crossed my mind speaking to a friend of mine about comic books and apparently he has a mindset that comics are not mature. I tried to give him examples of comics such as Watchmen and Walking Dead (both a movie and series he loves) and he was adamant those were graphic novels and not comics. I showed him the issues online and he retracted his statement.

But it just has me wondering...is this what most people think? That graphic novels are not considered comic books because it is one bound reading instead of many floppies that make up a story? Are they that concerned about what liking comics may mean to their reputation or whatever that they want nothing to do with it?

I've just grown to really hate the term graphic novel except for books where you can't find single issues of such as the Superman Earth One story, Batman: Noel, or Joker. But a graphic novel that is nothing more than a collection of single issues, I always refer to as trade paperback.

Just wanted to voice my opinion a little bit and see other feedback...

I refer to them as trades. I think it really depends on your immersion in the culture. I also have a friend who refers to them a GN's an it annoys the fuck out of me. I think it's more the way they're marketed to the non comic book folk.

I just call them graphic novels by default.

Only because it's the words that come to mind first. I coldn't even remember the word tradeback while writing this up, had to scroll up.

I know the difference between the two, i just don't break it down unless somebody wants to really know.

Trade Paperbacks and Hardcovers = Collections of single issues.

Graphic Novels = Printed only as a collection without having been released as single issues such as Habibi, Superman Earth One and so forth.

That's basically how I see it.

"Trade paperback" doesn't work because not everything is released in paperback. "Trade cloth" or hardcover or deluxe hardcover or Omnibus or Absolute or whatever other fancy name you want to give them can apply as well. Just calling them "trades" doesn't make sense to the average Joe. Not to mention that original graphic novels can be published as softcover or hardcover, so that doesn't really help distinguish things.

I think there is a certain connotation that graphic novels are more "sophisticated" than a "comic book," but everyone is going to spin every term however they want to see it, so there isn't much point in debating semantics over these particular words. People are going to think what they think about the medium.

I think graphic novel originally referred to a singular story released all at once that was often longer than your 32 page comic book or what have you.

The problem is, with modern writing and the idea of story arcs, if you pull away the covers, "comic books" that are collected can very much read like a "graphic novel." Like pretty much every popular Batman collected edition. Most people would be surprised that those stories were originally released as single issue comic books, or just a notch above that in a few volumes of the "prestige format." But Batman probably has his fair share of ORIGINAL graphic novels moreso than any other cape n tights hero. Yet I have friends that seem to think every new Batman trade released is some kind of original "graphic novel" as if single issues didn't exist, mostly because I don't think they remember or care to remember how comic books actually work for the most part.

If you really want to distinguish between a comic story produced for publication outside of the single issue format and trades, saying "collected edition" instead of "graphic novel" would probably be better than trying to explain what a "trade" is. But then there is the problem of book titles. For instance, Batman: Snow is a trade that collects five issues of the series Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight. But people don't know that it is a collected edition of that because the book isn't titled Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Volume 4 or whatever. It's called Batman: Snow, making it seem like it could be an original graphic novel like Batman: Noel was.

Graphic novel is probably the safest term to use as long as people can recognize that single issue comic books become collected editions.

[quote name='GhostShark']Trade Paperbacks and Hardcovers = Collections of single issues.

Graphic Novels = Printed only as a collection without having been released as single issues such as Habibi, Superman Earth One and so forth.

That's basically how I see it.[/QUOTE]

^^^This is the proper usage.

The Killing Joke is a Graphic Novel.
V for Vendetta is a trade paperback.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I call everything a graphic novel...[/QUOTE]

That must get confusing. "Hey, could you grab me that graphic novel? No, not the graphic novel, the graphic novel!"

I'll be here all week.

Speaking of this, where's the best place to buy these online? GoHastings has some decent prices, especially with their 30% off sale, but almost everything good is out of stock.

I finally saw xmen first class. The first hour was good. I like that Magneto is badass (as he should be).

Magneto's accent started to sound Irish though when they were on the island.

I assume the Devil guy is
Nightcrawler's dad? (I know Mystique is his mother in the comics)

why dont arkham guards have better weapons and armor? also why dont they had superheros actually working on site to keep the crazies from escaping instead of waiting till they do and then catching?

[quote name='slowdive21']I finally saw xmen first class. The first hour was good. I like that Magneto is badass (as he should be).

Magneto's accent started to sound Irish though when they were on the island.

I assume the Devil guy is
Nightcrawler's dad? (I know Mystique is his mother in the comics)
[/QUOTE]

YUP. His name is Azazel

[quote name='lokizz']why dont arkham guards have better weapons and armor? also why dont they had superheros actually working on site to keep the crazies from escaping instead of waiting till they do and then catching?[/QUOTE]

Have you ever read Batman: Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison? I think it kind of touches on that.

[quote name='bhk']Have you ever read Batman: Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison? I think it kind of touches on that.[/QUOTE]

nope but if it sheds light on my question im going to have to. it really bugs me that a place with so much damn evil seems to have swiss cheese security.

[quote name='lokizz']why dont arkham guards have better weapons and armor? also why dont they had superheros actually working on site to keep the crazies from escaping instead of waiting till they do and then catching?[/QUOTE]

So that way the prisoners can escape and have more comics be made about them.

[quote name='Tsel']Speaking of this, where's the best place to buy these online? GoHastings has some decent prices, especially with their 30% off sale, but almost everything good is out of stock.[/QUOTE]

Normally if I can't find anything I want on GoHastings or Ebay, I try www.instocktrades.com . Prices aren't fantastic, but they normally have between 30-45% off the normal price of it. Free shipping of $50 or more as well I think.

Looking back at some of the things Frank Miller has said in the past made me realize that the guy is a bit of a douche, despite his talent.

bread's done
Back