Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='Clak']Looking back at some of the things Frank Miller has said in the past made me realize that the guy is a bit of a douche, despite his talent.[/QUOTE]

He jokes around a lot too. He was nice to me and my brother. I had him sign an Eternal Warrior #1 and he said "Where did you find this? I think you are the only person who would want this signed!" I had him sign an "art of Sin City" first though.

[quote name='Clak']He's also said some pretty islamaphobic things as well, unless he was "joking".[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about "Holy Terror" or did I miss something recent?

Alan Moore and Miller both have crazy eyes and both have written some of my all time favorites. Dark Knight Returns and Sin City for Miller and then Miracle Man and Watchmen for Moore.

I will be honest - I wasn't a fan of Miller's latest with Holy Terror. I just pretend that didn't come out.

Honestly the only thing I enjoyed from Miller was The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One. Besides that, I find everything to be overrated.

300 had fantastic visuals, but that's about it. Same for Sin City.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Just started Hack Slash. I like it.

Anyone know if they're making any more Crossed books?[/QUOTE]
I know they are on Badlands currently, beyond that I haven't heard anything.

[quote name='Clak']Was refering to the blog post linked in this article.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/ente...r-doesnt-think-much-occupy-wall-street/44925/

Did like this comment by Alan Moore.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/dec/06/alan-moore-frank-miller-row?INTCMP=SRCH[/QUOTE]

I can understand both points of view. I am a democrat and I think the occupy movement is pointless. I also agree that it consists of brats/hipsters who hate the 1%, yet have their "idevices'.

I agree that miller is misogynistic, but that also comes through in his writing/art. It kinda goes with the territory if you write noir stuff. Men are heroes and women need to be saved.

I strongly recommend "Ronin" BTW to people who don't think Frank lives up to the hype...It is one of my favorite comic book stories of all time and it is often overlooked.

[quote name='Temporaryscars']Just started Hack Slash. I like it./QUOTE]

Hack Slash has been one of my favorites for a few years. I told the GF for comic-con we could dress up as either Cassie and Samhain or Lovebunny and Mr. Hell (also Seeley) but she said no.

I had seen it around for ages and always wanted to pick one up just to check it out, but just never got around to it. Better late than never I guess. I'm a little confused about the order though. I'm reading the trades and there have been instances where they refer to things that I don't recognize, even though I started with #1.

Here is a pretty awesome kickstarter project that is ending 3 days from now. Sullivan's Sluggers is written by Mark Andrew Smith (Amazing Joy Buzzards) and has art from the mindblowing James Stokoe (Orc Stain).

A mere $30 gets you a 200 page hardcover, which has already been upgraded by milestone unlocks to being oversized and now includes a 3 page gatefold spread. If they receive another $6000 or so in funding (they are already over $70k) that hardcover comes with a slipcase. And I wants that slipcover so check it out here.

Update: Just a little over $2000 to go with 2 days left to get the slipcover unlocked. And by the way, the HC also comes with a pdf copy and a Comixology download. $30 is really a steal for a slipcovered OHC + digital copy. AND this will be the only chance to get the HC, the writer has said there would only be a TPB release in the future, and it will be much further down the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up Young Avengers: Children Crusade Hardcover for $20. ALways wanted to read this. So far I'm liking it. I love Cheung's art.

Also was able to track down issue's #1 & #2 of Saga. Now I can start reading it finally.

I really wanted to like Children's Crusade, and I did for the first five issues, but then it just gets absolutely crazy and makes no sense. Part of it was that it kept getting delayed over and over again, so maybe it's better read in one sitting instead of waiting 2-4 months for each issue.

[quote name='GhostShark']I really wanted to like Children's Crusade, and I did for the first five issues, but then it just gets absolutely crazy and makes no sense. Part of it was that it kept getting delayed over and over again, so maybe it's better read in one sitting instead of waiting 2-4 months for each issue.[/QUOTE]

I recently read through all of it and enjoyed it.

[quote name='I LIEK CHOCOLATEMILK']TFAW is offering free shipping on all in-stock items with this link. Works through today, the 15th.[/QUOTE]

I was kind of bummed that this expired today but then I saw in the terms that it's actually July 15th. Thanks for the heads up!

[quote name='blue_volvo']Here is a pretty awesome kickstarter project that is ending 3 days from now. Sullivan's Sluggers is written by Mark Andrew Smith (Amazing Joy Buzzards) and has art from the mindblowing James Stokoe (Orc Stain).

A mere $30 gets you a 200 page hardcover, which has already been upgraded by milestone unlocks to being oversized and now includes a 3 page gatefold spread. If they receive another $6000 or so in funding (they are already over $70k) that hardcover comes with a slipcase. And I wants that slipcover so check it out here.

Update: Just a little over $2000 to go with 2 days left to get the slipcover unlocked. And by the way, the HC also comes with a pdf copy and a Comixology download. $30 is really a steal for a slipcovered OHC + digital copy. AND this will be the only chance to get the HC, the writer has said there would only be a TPB release in the future, and it will be much further down the road.[/QUOTE]

I picked up a PDF copy.

I have so many trades I want to get. I picked up several complete series from Border's closing sale. I was able to pick up Y the Last Man volumes 1 - 5, Fables Vol. 1 & 2, and Saga of the Swamp Thing Books 3 and 5 just to name a few. Want to complete my Saga of the Swamp Thing collection.

[quote name='bhk']I was kind of bummed that this expired today but then I saw in the terms that it's actually July 15th. Thanks for the heads up![/QUOTE]

The email I got after seeing this post said its only on orders $50 and up. Not many deals if you actually deal hunt for your collected editions.

[quote name='kodave']The email I got after seeing this post said its only on orders $50 and up. Not many deals if you actually deal hunt for your collected editions.[/QUOTE]

I got that email as well. It's a seperate code from the one mentioned in the above post. This one has no minimum.

[quote name='GhostShark']I really wanted to like Children's Crusade, and I did for the first five issues, but then it just gets absolutely crazy and makes no sense. Part of it was that it kept getting delayed over and over again, so maybe it's better read in one sitting instead of waiting 2-4 months for each issue.[/QUOTE]

Delays always suck but as a collection I loved the hardcover. It included 2 extra issues of back/future story (Iron Lad stuff). I can see AvsX will tie into this so I'm glad I read it.

Saga#4 I really enjoyed this latest issue.
Sextillion really threw me off gaurd those ladys with the long legs and gaint head as a body. Also got a good chuckle out the the dinosaur at the planet. The cliff hanger at the end...hurry up Saga#5
I'm hooked with this series and this issue wants me to see what happens next.

Also walking dead #99 was alright, a good setup for issue 100. Should be interesting to see who will die next.

Avengers vs X-Men #6 is by far the best Marvel "event" issue since Siege #1. I'm really glad to see AvX finally hitting its stride. Coipel's pencils are just fantastic. He's one of the best comic artists out there.

Just bought 9-10 TPBs the past month after really wanting to jump into reading some comics. Gonna tag this. Most of what I've been getting is DC stuff. Any quick TPB recommendations on the Marvel side?

Gonna quickly add I watched the Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons as a kid in the 90s (I think?) so I do have some knowledge on mostly that side of the Marvel Universe.

[quote name='Hostile']Just bought 9-10 TPBs the past month after really wanting to jump into reading some comics. Gonna tag this. Most of what I've been getting is DC stuff. Any quick TPB recommendations on the Marvel side?[/QUOTE]

whedon & cassaday's astonishing x-men! :bouncy:

[quote name='Hostile']Just bought 9-10 TPBs the past month after really wanting to jump into reading some comics. Gonna tag this. Most of what I've been getting is DC stuff. Any quick TPB recommendations on the Marvel side?

Gonna quickly add I watched the Spider-Man and X-Men cartoons as a kid in the 90s (I think?) so I do have some knowledge on mostly that side of the Marvel Universe.[/QUOTE]
Uncanny X-Force!

Astonishing X-Men by Whedon
New Avengers by Bendis
Spider-Woman by Bendis
Daredevil by Bendis, and later Brubaker
House of M, Civil War and Secret Invasion in terms of Marvel Events

Can't go wrong with Planet Hulk either, or Ultimates 1, 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man.

[quote name='houdinilogic']the new wolverine & the x-men series has been a blast so far.[/QUOTE]

YEs, it is.

It's nice to have kids in the Xmen story now, having fun and shenanigans. Not focused on a war with humans and junk.

It kinda reminds me of the old days with Xmen, where everything didn't feel to serious.

[quote name='houdinilogic']the new wolverine & the x-men series has been a blast so far.[/QUOTE]I'm about 3 issues behind but I've definitely been enjoying it.

[quote name='koalak']anyone going to comic con?[/QUOTE]

The GF and I will be there. Still have to look into the best way to get to the convention center since that GF wanted to stay in La Jolla. I assume parking is a nightmare so I somesort of public transportation where I can park the rental car.

[quote name='ppself']YEs, it is.

It's nice to have kids in the Xmen story now, having fun and shenanigans. Not focused on a war with humans and junk.

It kinda reminds me of the old days with Xmen, where everything didn't feel to serious.[/QUOTE]

agreed. and broo is awesome.

[quote name='houdinilogic']whedon & cassaday's astonishing x-men! :bouncy:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='moon_knight']Uncanny X-Force![/QUOTE]

[quote name='GhostShark']Astonishing X-Men by Whedon
New Avengers by Bendis
Spider-Woman by Bendis
Daredevil by Bendis, and later Brubaker
House of M, Civil War and Secret Invasion in terms of Marvel Events

Can't go wrong with Planet Hulk either, or Ultimates 1, 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man.[/QUOTE]

Gonna try to get started on a Marvel Event (which one of those started first?) and pick up Astonishing X-Men (Should I be getting the omnibus version or the ultimate collection?). Thinking about Uncanny X-Force after.

[quote name='Hostile']Gonna try to get started on a Marvel Event (which one of those started first?) and pick up Astonishing X-Men (Should I be getting the omnibus version or the ultimate collection?). Thinking about Uncanny X-Force after.[/QUOTE]

In order of both time-wise and quality-wise: Civil War > House of M > Secret Invasion.

Secret Invasion had an interesting premise and started o.k. but turned in to real crap towards the end. I wouldn't bother unless you can get it on the cheap.

I'm surprised no one has said this, but Waid has recently rebooted Daredevil and it's fantastic. They're on issue 11 I think, so it shouldn't be too hard to catch up. Also, Hickman's run on Fantastic Four has honestly been one of the best things I have ever read.

[quote name='Hostile']Gonna try to get started on a Marvel Event (which one of those started first?) and pick up Astonishing X-Men (Should I be getting the omnibus version or the ultimate collection?). Thinking about Uncanny X-Force after.[/QUOTE]

Best event? I would say House of M or Civil War over Secret Invasion. I would recommend World War Hulk over those listed, but it would be more appreciated after reading Planet Hulk. WWH is just a big brawlfest of a comic which I loved.

As for Omnibus vs Ultimate Collection...depends what u want in the collection. Think omnibuses usually have some script pages, concept art, etc. if u can live without those kinds of stuff, just go ultimate collections unless u can find the omnibus for cheaper.

[quote name='Tronny']In order of both time-wise and quality-wise: Civil War > House of M > Secret Invasion.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it more like, chronologically: Avengers Disassembled (2004) [since this kicked off the current age of mega events] > House of M/Decimation (2005-2006) > Civil War/The Initiative (2006-2008) > Secret Invasion/Dark Reign (2008-2009) > Siege/Heroic Age (2010-2011) > Fear Itself/Shattered Heroes (2011-2012) > up to Avengers vs. X-Men (2012), which will undoubtedly have a tie in aftermath event.

I think those are pretty much the big events Marvel pushed for those years. Of course you have other "events" in smaller corners of the universe, like all of the Hulk events, Cosmic events, X-Men events smaller in promotion than House of M (but have big effects on the X-Men corner of the Marvel U), Spider-Man events, Doomwar, hell, even a street-level event with Daredevil's Shadowland.

And yes, Waid's Daredevil might be the most critically acclaimed Marvel "cape and tights" book at the moment. Rucka's Punisher also gets much critical acclaim.

As far as Omnibus vs. Ultimate Collection, Omnibuses are oversized hardcovers. Oversized as in the paper and stuff is bigger than your standard comic book. As far as Astonishing X-Men goes, the Omnibus collects all of Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men in one oversized hardcover. The Ultimate Collections collect the same issues, just in two volumes instead of one. So it depends what you want out of your trade experience. Are you looking to collect and display books? Are you really into seeing artwork in a larger format? Then get the Omnibus. If you're just going to read it and not care about the collecting aspect, jut get the paperback Ultimate Collections. But I wouldn't recommend Whedon's Astonishing X-Men unless you already hardcore love the X-Men. I think it's massively over-rated since some of his stories are just downright silly even from a "this is a comic book world" standpoint.

[quote name='Rodimus']No Annihilation love? I am disapoint...[/QUOTE]

Annihilation was amazing, though I didnt read anything after it. Anyone know where it went after Annihilation and if it eas worth reading?

[quote name='4thHorseman']Annihilation was amazing, though I didnt read anything after it. Anyone know where it went after Annihilation and if it eas worth reading?[/QUOTE]

Annihilation > Annihilation: Conquest > War of Kings > Realm of Kings > The Thanos Imperative > Annihilators

And within those event time frames are the ongoing series of Nova and Guardians of the Galaxy, which may or may not be needed to understand stuff in the events. There are also ancillary books to some of those events' main books.

Oh, and the X-Men. The X-Men like to go to space and do stuff, but from what I understand, most of those X-Men In Space series aren't necessary for the main cosmic stuff.

As far as any of it being "worth reading" - its as super subjective as any comic book stuff.

None of them are literary classics, but on a comic book standard, most would probably say they are good, and some of them are some of the best capes 'n' tights writing of the time. If you liked Annihilation then you'll probably like the rest.

I know this has been asked here before.

But can anybody recommend a good reliable online comic store that i can order from? I want to try and use someone else beside Midtown.

Edit: And any thoughts on the newest AvX? They totally went another direction with that issue. I didn't know there were going to be 12 issues of this series.

[quote name='ppself']I know this has been asked here before.

But can anybody recommend a good reliable online comic store that i can order from? I want to try and use someone else beside Midtown.

Edit: And any thoughts on the newest AvX? They totally went another direction with that issue. I didn't know there were going to be 12 issues of this series.[/QUOTE]

I've been using Mail Order Comics for several years. 40% off cover price.

bread's done
Back