Comic Book Discussion Thread (Marvel, DC, Image, Dark Horse, Top Cow, IDW, Indy, etc)

[quote name='ppself']I know this has been asked here before.

But can anybody recommend a good reliable online comic store that i can order from? I want to try and use someone else beside Midtown.

Edit: And any thoughts on the newest AvX? They totally went another direction with that issue. I didn't know there were going to be 12 issues of this series.[/QUOTE]

AvX #6 was easily the best issue of the event so far, and IMO, the best issue of a Marvel event since Siege #1. Part of it is due to Coipel's beautiful pencil work, but Hickman does an amazing job of writing Cyclops in the issue. I'm curious to where it goes from here.

@ppself - STAY AWAY from Mile High. Even living local to them they're the worst. Too much drama and if I was allowed to tell you about their online store schemes I would.

I use g-mart, midtown, and tfaw to satisfy my online needs. Midtown ships the nicest by far.

[quote name='GhostShark']AvX #6 was easily the best issue of the event so far, and IMO, the best issue of a Marvel event since Siege #1. Part of it is due to Coipel's beautiful pencil work, but Hickman does an amazing job of writing Cyclops in the issue. I'm curious to where it goes from here.[/QUOTE]

It has gotten pretty interesting, but i feel like i have missed a lot between #5 and #6.

I am glad Coipel is back on it though. That last line made by Cyclops was reminiscent of Scarlet Witches line.

I really hope Cyclops doesn't get written off as a bad guy though, he is sounding to much like 90s Magneto now.

I was glad to see a certain old Xman show up though, to talk to Cyclops.

[quote name='kodave']As far as Omnibus vs. Ultimate Collection, Omnibuses are oversized hardcovers. Oversized as in the paper and stuff is bigger than your standard comic book. As far as Astonishing X-Men goes, the Omnibus collects all of Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men in one oversized hardcover. The Ultimate Collections collect the same issues, just in two volumes instead of one. So it depends what you want out of your trade experience. Are you looking to collect and display books? Are you really into seeing artwork in a larger format? Then get the Omnibus. If you're just going to read it and not care about the collecting aspect, jut get the paperback Ultimate Collections. But I wouldn't recommend Whedon's Astonishing X-Men unless you already hardcore love the X-Men. I think it's massively over-rated since some of his stories are just downright silly even from a "this is a comic book world" standpoint.[/QUOTE]

Alright thanks. I would prefer my collection be the same sizes (hopefully the same sizes as DC's TPBs?) and I don't really know what to expect in the first place so I'll just stick with getting the first Ultimate Collection for now.

If you can find them, the Bendis Daredevil Omnibus as well as the Brubaker ominbuses of Daredevil and Captain America are amazing reads, and some of the best literature around the characters you will ever find. Same with the JMS Thor omnibus.

[quote name='Hostile']Alright thanks. I would prefer my collection be the same sizes (hopefully the same sizes as DC's TPBs?) and I don't really know what to expect in the first place so I'll just stick with getting the first Ultimate Collection for now.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I've never heard about someone being OCD when it comes to size of trades.

If you just collect all in paperback, then you're going to end up with the same height for books.

But oversized books are wonderful if you really like the content that's inside.

I think Omnibuses are similar in height to DC's deluxe editions. I don't know off the top of my head if DC Omnibuses are oversized. The DC Absolute Editions are super oversized, but can be pretty awesome.

[quote name='GhostShark']If you can find them, the Bendis Daredevil Omnibus as well as the Brubaker ominbuses of Daredevil and Captain America are amazing reads, and some of the best literature around the characters you will ever find. Same with the JMS Thor omnibus.[/QUOTE]

All of the Daredevil Omnibuses are out of print and fetch a pretty penny on eBay. Can't really do that unless you've got serious money to burn. The Bendis and Brubaker Daredevil runs are available in Ultimate Collection format, but even some of those are OOP at the moment.

Brubaker's Captain America Omnibus just went OOP again for the first volume (after I think 4 reprints). The Death of Captain America Omnibus went OOP recently and is commanding some higher prices on eBay. I think the Captain America Lives Omnibus is still in print though.

The problem with JMS's Thor Omnibus is its an incomplete story since JMS left. If you want the complete story you have to also pick up Thor by Kieron Gillen Ultimate Collection. That's kind of the same problem with the Immortal Iron Fist Omnibus. You get an Omnibus because they could slap Brubaker, Fraction, and Aja's names on it. But then the last two trades of the series by Duane Swierczynski are only available in regular sized HCs or TPBs, and the Immortal Weapons mini by Jason Aaron is only available in TPB. Would it kill Marvel to release a second Immortal Iron Fist Omnibus with those three trades? The answer is yes, yes it would.

That daredevil omnibus vol 2 was $10.50 or something due to a b&N/amazon pricing mistake. My order for it got cancelled, but I did get a couple of copies of the Tomb of Dracula omnibus #2. That was probably 2009. I wish it would have been fulfilled.

[quote name='slowdive21']That daredevil omnibus vol 2 was $10.50 or something due to a b&N/amazon pricing mistake. My order for it got cancelled, but I did get a couple of copies of the Tomb of Dracula omnibus #2. That was probably 2009. I wish it would have been fulfilled.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that glitch got a ton of people into Omnibus buying, but it also unnaturally wiped out the stock of a ton of books, leading to massive price jacking on eBay due to OOP statuses. As far as the four modern Daredevil Omnibuses go, Bendis Vol. 1 is most expensive, followed by Brubaker Vol. 1. I think both authors' Vol. 2s have about the same level of rarity. Some dude on another forum actually got like 20 of those Tomb of Dracula Omnis for $10 a pop or whatever, then flipped at them all at insane prices to basically buy every Marvel Omnibus ever with little out of pocket.

[quote name='bhk']Anyone pick up Hit Girl #1?[/QUOTE]

I was slightly interested at first, when i was ordering my comics this week.

But then i read the story synopsis and saw that this series takes place before KA2 when she is training KickAss.

I thought it was going to be about her, and her being in prison. Events after the results of KA2.

So i passed.

I think it was only 2 issues too.

My monthly reads are taking a severe blow. Irredeemable, Incorruptible and Scalped all done. Since I've only really gotten into reading comics again the last few years it is going to be really weird not looking forward to these each month.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']@ppself - STAY AWAY from Mile High. Even living local to them they're the worst. Too much drama and if I was allowed to tell you about their online store schemes I would. [/QUOTE]I echo your feelings on Mile High. They're dirtbags. I only shop their when they have something I need to complete my collection for ridiculously cheap.

[quote name='DestroVega']Anyone know if the Kick-Ass 2 movie is based on the comics cause everyone seems to hate it.[/QUOTE]
It's not going to be based on the comics super closely. I know for sure that it's not supposed to have
Katie get raped
like in the book.

Locke and Key is great. It's written by Stephen king's son, Joe Hill. There are currently 5 arcs and you must read them in order.

1 - Welcome to Lovecraft
2 - Head Games
3 - Crown of Shadows
4 - Keys to the Kingdom
5 - Clockworks

Omega (final arc) starts this fall so catch up on those first. You'll love the series.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I echo your feelings on Mile High. They're dirtbags. I only shop their when they have something I need to complete my collection for ridiculously cheap.

[/QUOTE]

What's up with the Mile High Comics hate?

I've been out of comics for quite a while, about 20 years or so, and am just starting to get back into them. Mile High was always my primary purchasing point, back when they had a store at Buckingham Mall.

I was actually planning on taking a trip out to their big warehouse to pick up a bunch of bags and boards for some old silver age comics I have sitting around, prices online looked pretty good.

Good luck getting there. The whse is not in a retail environment. Therefore he's only allowed to be open like once a month for like 3 hours. I strongly recommend staying away from them.

Go to coins/cards/comics on 67ish and wadsworth or more comics on 104th Huron.

Did you guys hear about Marvel doing another restart to the Marvel universe?

Nothing like the new 52, but another universe reveal with new stories and position of current characters in 616. I don't even think it's a restart but like another perspective starting from today.

There was a art reveal that showed the Xmen and Avengers teaming up with new outfits, and with Jean Grey alive and in her old uniform.

201207031147.jpg

Suppose to be revealed with more details at CCSD i guess.

It only makes sense with the way Avengers vs X-Men has been going. I'm liking what I am hearing so far, and Uncanny Avengers is going to be a must-buy. However, that Cyclops costume is just awful, and the preview image better mean Rocket Raccoon is going to be in more books.

[quote name='GhostShark']It only makes sense with the way Avengers vs X-Men has been going. I'm liking what I am hearing so far, and Uncanny Avengers is going to be a must-buy. However, that Cyclops costume is just awful, and the preview image better mean Rocket Raccoon is going to be in more books.[/QUOTE]

Uncanny Avengers? You have any details on that? Cause i have not.

But i just like how it's just another alternate universe, not a reboot.

And i like Cyclops costume, it's better than what he has been wearing for the past decade.

I just wish they would get rid of the head cover though. Go back to having his hair flow in the wind like in the 90s era.

I lulzed at how Wolverine looks exactly the same though. As if he will just be jumping back and forth from another universe team, X-force, Wolverine and the Xmen, Xmen, Uncanny Xmen and New Avengers.

[quote name='ppself']
I lulzed at how Wolverine looks exactly the same though. As if he will just be jumping back and forth from another universe team, X-force, Wolverine and the Xmen, Xmen, Uncanny Xmen and New Avengers.[/QUOTE]

No wonder the dude is always grumpy, he's too busy travelling cross country/universe to get any decent sleep!

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel-now-reevolution-uncanny-avengers.html

There is the information on the Marvel Now and post AvX plans. So, it's not a reboot or an alternate universe unless they pull another House of M type of universe after AvX, which is very unlikely.

All this really says is that you're going to see more Mutants in major books besides Wolverine.

The only real universe/time-traveling is the Bendis X-Men series, which I suspect will be a 5 or 6 issue Limited Series, where the First Class of X-Men travel to the present and see how different the world is.

[quote name='GhostShark']http://www.newsarama.com/comics/marvel-now-reevolution-uncanny-avengers.html

There is the information on the Marvel Now and post AvX plans. So, it's not a reboot or an alternate universe unless they pull another House of M type of universe after AvX, which is very unlikely.

All this really says is that you're going to see more Mutants in major books besides Wolverine.

The only real universe/time-traveling is the Bendis X-Men series, which I suspect will be a 5 or 6 issue Limited Series, where the First Class of X-Men travel to the present and see how different the world is.[/QUOTE]

Ah. So Marvel Now is just the next step in the 616 Universe after AvX?

And Uncanny Avengers sounds like a good series if Remender is writing. Of course, Wolverine is on that team.

I wonder how that is going to affect Uncanny Xforce.

There is a good possibility that titles like Secret Avengers and Uncanny X-Force, both by Remender, will come to an end in favor of Uncanny Avengers.

[quote name='GhostShark']There is a good possibility that titles like Secret Avengers and Uncanny X-Force, both by Remender, will come to an end in favor of Uncanny Avengers.[/QUOTE]

I can see that happening with Xforce, since the recent storyline is about villains trying to out Xforce to the public.

Secret Avengers i never really enjoyed.

It will just be sad to see a great book like Uncanny Xforce stop. Although it makes me wonder what the new team line-up would be.

[quote name='GhostShark']Cover to the first Issue of Uncanny Avengers with the initial team line-up

Uncanny-Avengers_510_02.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Well.

That looks lame.

They should have stuck Opena on there.

I wonder when they are going to introduce Ultron back into the Avengers world. They already hinting at it since that whole future timeline story and him being found in a cave last year.

Anybody ever (pre)order from MidtownComics.com? I found the process kind of weird (Pay for the item now, pay for taxes/shipping later) but they had a deal on thisDeadpool Costume Hoodie I wanted and they had my size available still. I went ahead and ordered, just curious about the experiences others have had with them.

And WOW. Walking Dead 100. I think I cried a little. [That's not a spoiler, right?]

Havok on the Avengers? ummmmmm okay...

Not sure how I feel about the Marvel NOW project. They're dropping a bunch of titles like Fantastic Four. How can you drop that. Hickman's run has been amazing, sad to see it go in a couple months. And who's this Nova? They haven't explained it yet right?

As for Spidey arcs between Big Time and Spider Island there's not much. If you read both them I say you're not missing much. I will recomend Shed, It was a little before Big Time but what an awesome Lizard story. Also Grim Hunt is worth checking out.

[quote name='Rodimus']Not sure how I feel about the Marvel NOW project. They're dropping a bunch of titles like Fantastic Four. How can you drop that. Hickman's run has been amazing, sad to see it go in a couple months.[/QUOTE]

I think most of the titles ending in October were reaching their natural end points. Brubaker has stated he was winding down on Cap and the only capes title he wanted to write anymore was Winter Soldier. Likewise, its been known for a long time Hickman's run on Fantastic Four/FF was coming to an end soon. And Fraction has been writing Iron Man for a long time now.

So these big writers were leaving anyway for the most part. Marvel is just capitalizing on the ability to throw out new #1s for more $$$ once they have new creative teams in place. Plus slowly rolling out the new #1s will give people time to wind down from being attached to the previous creative teams. Chances are whoever picks up Cap and Fantastic Four next aren't going to be crushing it off the bat like Brubaker and Hickman did. So the new creative teams don't have to stand in those shadows immediately if they don't start their runs until a few months after October, or whenever Marvel chooses to roll them out.

iMy thoughts on Marvel Now is that after DC's "reboot" I dropped from 6 titles to 2 (and now just 1 just they bent Batman over and shoved a brother up in it). I'm already down to a few Marvel titles so I'm really just thinking it's probably time to wrap up the whole hobby and just be done...

Although, as far as Uncanny Avengers goes
I have been a Havok fan since I was a kid so to hear he'll be a "major player" does have me quite intrigued. I feel like I should at least give it a shot for a little bit

Marvel has said before that Cap, Fantastic Four and Iron Man will be restarting with new #1s at some point. It will suck to see the main writers off those books, but they are moving on to bigger books with the lone exception of Brubraker, who is just burnt out on writing super heroes.

[quote name='Tsel']Alright, so I'm going to the Chicago Comic Con. It'll be my first time going to it. What can I expect?[/QUOTE]

A lot of Court of Owl cosplayers.

[quote name='kodave']I think most of the titles ending in October were reaching their natural end points. Brubaker has stated he was winding down on Cap and the only capes title he wanted to write anymore was Winter Soldier. Likewise, its been known for a long time Hickman's run on Fantastic Four/FF was coming to an end soon. And Fraction has been writing Iron Man for a long time now.

So these big writers were leaving anyway for the most part. Marvel is just capitalizing on the ability to throw out new #1s for more $$$ once they have new creative teams in place. Plus slowly rolling out the new #1s will give people time to wind down from being attached to the previous creative teams. Chances are whoever picks up Cap and Fantastic Four next aren't going to be crushing it off the bat like Brubaker and Hickman did. So the new creative teams don't have to stand in those shadows immediately if they don't start their runs until a few months after October, or whenever Marvel chooses to roll them out.[/QUOTE]

I was talking more about the series as a whole ending, not just the writers leaving. Although I'll admit Hickman on FF has been the best thing to happen to the series in a long time. But like GhostShark said I shouldn't be too upset, it'll be a short hiatus. Issue #604 was just sooooo good.

Fantastic-Galactus.jpg

I would love, probably more than anything else in this world, to have a adult Franklin Richards series. Make it happen, Marvel, but we'll probably see Franklin Richards as an Avenger if Hickman is writing Avengers.

After reading the Marvel pane from yesterday, and seeing what Fraction and Aja said about their upcoming Hawkeye series, I cannot wait. I'm not the world's biggest Hawkeye fan, but that duo worked magic on Immortal Iron Fist. Let's hope they can do the same thing with Hawkeye and Kate Bishop.

I love/hate Fraction's work. On Iron Fist and Iron Man he has constructed some really good stories. However, Fear Itself and the issues he's scripted for AvX have just been awful. It seems to me that giant casts and sweeping storylines definitely do not play to his strengths. Or maybe he just has to have "Iron" in the title. ;) Regardless, I am looking forward to Hawkeye (Ironeye!) since he's reteaming with David Aja. Here's hoping Aja sticks around for more than just a few issues (though I'm not counting on it).

[quote name='Tsel']Alright, so I'm going to the Chicago Comic Con. It'll be my first time going to it. What can I expect?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dkreegz515']I'm going too. Also my first.[/QUOTE]

Disappointment. :lol:

C2E2 is better if you are there for the comics. Wizard World (CCC) is better if you are into autographs and celebs.

Actually if you have never been to a con, you will probably like it.

I haven't decided if I am going or not this year. If they do a groupon or discounted ticket like last year, I will probably go and buy some longboxes.

EDIT: One year at CCC Marvel, DC, and Darkhorse weren't even there. I think they managed to get Marvel (and maybe DC) back.

Decided Il never use these, so if you have the Marvel app:

Avengers vs X-Men #2 - ATMC11MLR72G

A vs X
#0 - ATMC1WAFCMTV
#1 - ATMC17M2FQL6
#2 - ATMC1EJGTTGZ
#4 - ATMC19APBTUF
#5 - ATMC1H7I8VLA
#7 - MTML12733RLT

Hope someone can put the codes to good use

EDIT: And AvX #3 (knew I had it somewhere)
ATMC1E5G62QP

Last edited by a moderator:
If you guys haven't heard yet, there will be a Gaurdians of the Galaxy movie. Some concept art of the characters on the team.

original.jpg

Also announced. Thor The dark World, Iron Man 3 (duh, right?), Captain America The Winter Soldier (Bucky, i guess) and Ant Man directed by Edgar Wright.

[quote name='ppself']If you guys haven't heard yet, there will be a Gaurdians of the Galaxy movie. Some concept art of the characters on the team.

original.jpg

Also announced. Thor The dark World, Iron Man 3 (duh, right?), Captain America The Winter Soldier (Bucky, i guess) and Ant Man directed by Edgar Wright.[/QUOTE]

shut up and take my money marvel.

I can't wait for the casting news to start rolling in for Phase 2 of the MCU. They should really get the dude who voiced Rocket Raccoon in Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 to voice him in GoTG.

I saw that earlier and had a little nerdgasm. Now if only they capture the magic of what wen through the GoTG book, I'll be a happy man.

bread's done
Back