Commander Amarao's eyebrow raising Anime thread.

I think the thing that probably puts off the Action part of Adult Swim is that it pretty much hasn't seen viewership numbers akin to, say, Cowboy Bebop. I could have recalled reports during Adult Swim's infancy that said that Cowboy Bebop broke the 1 million mark in terms of viewers, which is sickeningly substantial. The only other comparable numbers I remember seeing were around 500 to 600K for a number of Big O airings (Season 2) and around 270 to 400K for more recent anime. While that isn't necessarily bad, it also isn't necessarily within the top-rated Adult Swim offerings.

Then again, the top-rated offerings as of late are usually 1 Million+ Viewers for episodes of Family Guy that were already on Fox three weeks ago, so who knows? All I know is that I avoid the AS forums like a plague. If I wanted to hear nonstop whining and crying I'd go to some local day care programs [includes both Action and Comedy fans].

But, eh, I trust Action's choosing of programs a bit better than Comedy's as far as new material is concerned.

[quote name='Kapwanil']I think the thing that probably puts off the Action part of Adult Swim is that it pretty much hasn't seen viewership numbers akin to, say, Cowboy Bebop. I could have recalled reports during Adult Swim's infancy that said that Cowboy Bebop broke the 1 million mark in terms of viewers, which is sickeningly substantial. The only other comparable numbers I remember seeing were around 500 to 600K for a number of Big O airings (Season 2) and around 270 to 400K for more recent anime. While that isn't necessarily bad, it also isn't necessarily within the top-rated Adult Swim offerings.

[/quote]

And they wonder why we are pissed about the crap they pulled with Big O. At anyrate here is an awesome Haruhi clip. Amazing quality.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGidOG8G16I[/media]

The animation in the dance sequences is just outstanding IMO.

[quote name='Chacrana']God I love the Berserk manga... only on Vol. 7, but it'll be nice to see where the story goes after the events of the TV series.

I really, really like Berserk.[/QUOTE]

it gets really good, just take your time, cause now it comes out like every month or two, the guy who does it really takes his freaking time.

I am really curious to hear the English dub of Haruihi. I was going to hold off on ordering it but I think I am going to get my pre-order in soon.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']And they wonder why we are pissed about the crap they pulled with Big O. At anyrate here is an awesome Haruhi clip. Amazing quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGidOG8G16I

The animation in the dance sequences is just outstanding IMO.[/quote]

Lol, they made the dude on the left look really bored. I also find it funny that you have that kind of vid right above your sig of Ergo Proxy lolz.

I love it when they put this kind of animation quality in action sequences of anime.

Btw, what is Haruhi about?

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Lol, they made the dude on the left look really bored.

I love it when they put this kind of animation quality in action sequences of anime.

Btw, what is Haruhi about?[/quote]

It is about the life of Haruhi and her belief in many otherworldly things. She surrounds herself with a club she makes up on her own to explore things that interest her. There is actually a lot more to it than that, but I don't want to say much more because it will give away too much.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Lol, they made the dude on the left look really bored. I also find it funny that you have that kind of vid right above your sig of Ergo Proxy lolz.[/quote]

Oh, the guy that looks bored is Kyon, and when you see what Haruhi puts him through you'll see why he seems disinterested. :lol:

:lol: Yeah, Haruhi and Re-l is a strange mix.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']it gets really good, just take your time, cause now it comes out like every month or two, the guy who does it really takes his freaking time.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I know it gets good. Miura has an unbelievably good story to tell. It's nice that the US releases are coming out pretty quickly... I think the current one's Tank 16 or something, so I've got a ways to go with the current stuff.

[quote name='Chacrana']Oh, I know it gets good. Miura has an unbelievably good story to tell. It's nice that the US releases are coming out pretty quickly... I think the current one's Tank 16 or something, so I've got a ways to go with the current stuff.[/QUOTE]

I got pretty addicted to the manga. I left off at volume 30, is Miura still on vacation?. I just hope Dark Horse stays commited to keep translating it for the states. I was so pissed when Viz stopped translating Fist of the North Star, and then when Raijin picked it up they went out of business.

[quote name='CrimGhost']I got pretty addicted to the manga. I left off at volume 30, is Miura still on vacation?. I just hope Dark Horse stays commited to keep translating it for the states. I was so pissed when Viz stopped translating Fist of the North Star, and then when Raijin picked it up they went out of business.[/QUOTE]

Heh, in the case of FOTNS, I'm just annoyed that was haven't gotten the series past episode 36. Oh well.

And I think Dark Horse will stick with the manga. At least, I recall that their release schedule was one volume every 3 months.... now it seems much, much faster.

[quote name='Chacrana']Heh, in the case of FOTNS, I'm just annoyed that was haven't gotten the series past episode 36. Oh well.

And I think Dark Horse will stick with the manga. At least, I recall that their release schedule was one volume every 3 months.... now it seems much, much faster.[/QUOTE]

Well the good news about the FOTNS anime is that Manga Entertainment no longer holds the license for the show. It's just a matter of time before some company like ADV or Media Blasters picks up where Manga left off, hopefully with better voice actors. The messed up thing is that FOTNS seems like it will always be an underground cult anime with how things are going with anime in the states. The new OVA's that were released here only sold because of old fans of the movie and show. I'm glad FOTNS is still popular in Japan, so we can at least buy some cool merchandise. Awesome manga and show, my favorite next to Berserk. You can really see the influence of FOTNS in Berserk, or any other shonen series for that matter. I suggest watching the Heart of Maddness fansubs, or picking up an HK dvd set of the whole series. This is the only time I would suggest picking up an HK dvd of an anime, they go for about $50-60 on Ebay, and have 24 dvds. That's 152 epsiodes, the movie, and the OVA's.

I remember watching the old FOTNS on VHS :D

I believe it was at the end of the series, but the main dude fights this massive guy and they just slug (or poke) it out. One ends up on the floor and the other guy is walking away with blood spurting out.

I remember someone laughing as the blood spurted out o_O (someone that was watching it with us)

[quote name='CrimGhost']Well the good news about the FOTNS anime is that Manga Entertainment no longer holds the license for the show. It's just a matter of time before some company like ADV or Media Blasters picks up where Manga left off, hopefully with better voice actors. The messed up thing is that FOTNS seems like it will always be an underground cult anime with how things are going with anime in the states. The new OVA's that were released here only sold because of old fans of the movie and show. I'm glad FOTNS is still popular in Japan, so we can at least buy some cool merchandise. Awesome manga and show, my favorite next to Berserk. You can really see the influence of FOTNS in Berserk, or any other shonen series for that matter. I suggest watching the Heart of Maddness fansubs, or picking up an HK dvd set of the whole series. This is the only time I would suggest picking up an HK dvd of an anime, they go for about $50-60 on Ebay, and have 24 dvds. That's 152 epsiodes, the movie, and the OVA's.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of New FOTNS, that show was really good... much better than I expected. A surprising amount of emphasis on story and characters. I got the whole series from Rightstuf for like... $10-12 total for all 3 DVDs and I'm not sure if they still have the DVDs clearanced out, but the show is definitely a keeper at any price.

....what's up with her teeth?!?

o_O

In other news, I was jazzed about DL'ing episode 121 of bleach subbed today, but lo and behold, my modem is flashing and I can't connect to the internet. This is a first in over two years, and I had a lotta stuff to do on-line--> business + morning CSS frag-fest FTW.

So I'm at a relative's house jackin their DSL, but I forgot to bring my Flash Drive >.>

I'm really lookin forward to these fights, since when episodes get pushed back or miss a week, they tend to have some nice animation and special effects ;)

Oh ya Guile, you decided to switch out sig's eh? Ergo for KOF ;O
I gotta get to KOF 03/06 again.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']....what's up with her teeth?!?

o_O
[/quote]

I didn't want to be the first to say it, but she really could benefit from having braces.

Oh thank you god! Funimation has the rights to One Piece now. All of it, so they're going back and redoing it from the start. Uncut DVD releases!

[quote name='jmcc']Oh thank you god! Funimation has the rights to One Piece now. All of it, so they're going back and redoing it from the start. Uncut DVD releases![/quote]
Sweet. I see that they're starting with episode 144, so they're going to finish the series and go back and get the rest after that? That'd be sweet to see some boxsets (like how they released Dragon Ball on DVD) to give fans some value to their DVD releases without raping them.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']....what's up with her teeth?!?

o_O
[/QUOTE]

I have heard that is actually a desired looked in japan, its "cute" there

[quote name='jmcc']Oh thank you god! Funimation has the rights to One Piece now. All of it, so they're going back and redoing it from the start. Uncut DVD releases![/quote]

Are they going with a totally different voice cast too?

[quote name='jmcc']Oh thank you god! Funimation has the rights to One Piece now. All of it, so they're going back and redoing it from the start. Uncut DVD releases![/QUOTE]

Yeah, it'll be watchable now, which is nice.

Just watched Bleach Ep.121, loved the new OP (LOL at Kon) and the whole episode, the ED was ooook, Hanabi is still my fav.

The whole thing felt like a movie ^^, the animation quality rocked just as I expected.

The scene with Keigo and his sis was pretty funny; I shave my head btw ;O

I DL'd the ED for Haruhi cuz the song was catchy :p, I confess -.-

At the end of the new bleach OP, I found it funny that Orihime is sinking in the sand, and then it just shows her hair goin crazy out of the ground.

heh heh heh :lol:

One day I'mma go for Arkanoid champion guile ;O

[quote name='Inf^Shini']One day I'mma go for Arkanoid champion guile ;O[/quote]

Once you figure out the secret to racking up points it really is easy.

i always thought it was impossible, but the naruto anime is moving slower than the manga, Ep 9 in the manga they are about to leave the
sand
, while in the anime Ep they havent even gotten there yet. I think i might be done watching it soon if it doesnt pick up

That's great news, I loved watching One Piece on tv, in spite of the 4kids translation.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Are they going with a totally different voice cast too?[/quote]
They're redoing everything. If you want more information on the whole thing, check this interview. They do mention that there will not be any accents for the main cast, that Sanji's sucker will remain in the TV edit as it's saves them so much work to go any other route, and that everybody that's on the project is a huge fan of One Piece.

What anime/manga have character designs you absolutely can't stand?

I was looking at this Cyborg 009 DVD I am going to trade in and God I hate the character designs.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Is GTO good? It seems like it would be hilarious.[/quote]

Its very good, worth a look if you need a laugh.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Is GTO good? It seems like it would be hilarious.[/QUOTE]

What I saw of GTO was excellent. I'll definitely be picking it up when Funi's box sets hit.

Oh, and Gantz was pretty awful... the show should've been half the length it was because waaaay too much of the show consisted of the characters debating what they should do. It wasn't dramatic or tense... it was boring.

Anyway, I picked up the first DVD for Phantom Memory Kurau and I'm 2 episodes in... pretty good so far. The show definitely has potential so I like where this is going.

[quote name='Chacrana']What I saw of GTO was excellent. I'll definitely be picking it up when Funi's box sets hit.

Oh, and Gantz was pretty awful... the show should've been half the length it was because waaaay too much of the show consisted of the characters debating what they should do. It wasn't dramatic or tense... it was boring.

Anyway, I picked up the first DVD for Phantom Memory Kurau and I'm 2 episodes in... pretty good so far. The show definitely has potential so I like where this is going.[/quote]

I'll admit that the anime version of Gantz was pretty bad. I think the pacing was off and that just made the story a mess. Iam enjoying the manga alot more since its not trying to shoehorn itself into a 25-27 episode format. Then again I bought almost the whole series on dvd when Media Play went under for 5 bucks a piece, so I dont regret the purchase.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']
How many times has Ichigo been laid out already?

Jeez, no one in this show catches a break eh? >.>
[/QUOTE]

I thought it was the running joke of the series.

[quote name='coolsteel']I thought it was the running joke of the series.[/quote]

Haha, I gotta say though, the dude can recover quickly ;O

By the time this series is over, he should out do Kenpachi in scars :D

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Is GTO good? It seems like it would be hilarious.[/QUOTE]The GTO manga is incredible. It's one of my all-time favorites. It nearly made me cry at the end, and I'm not ashamed to say it.
Plus, they comedy is great. You can't help but bond to Onizuka and his students.

You simply must check it out.

[quote name='Inf^Shini']Haha, I gotta say though, the dude can recover quickly ;O

By the time this series is over, he should out do Kenpachi in scars :D[/QUOTE]

Considering the scar he is sure to have after the latest manga issue ( 271) I don't think you're that far off . Though this brings up the more important question , does Ichigo even go to school anymore? Between healing after ass whoppings or going out extended periods handing them out you would think he would have straight flunked by now.

[quote name='coolsteel']Considering the scar he is sure to have after the latest manga issue ( 271) I don't think you're that far off . Though this brings up the more important question , does Ichigo even go to school anymore? Between healing after ass whoppings or going out extended periods handing them out you would think he would have straight flunked by now.[/QUOTE]

ehh just send Kon I am sure he'd be fine with all the girls in school girl outfits

bread's done
Back