Community Feedback Poll - Game Piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='OneWingedAngeI']it would be ridiculously hypocritical to support speedy, store errors that result in huge discounts, broken street dates, and all of the other questionable stuff that is what this site thrives on, while condemning people who are not even proven as guilty.

tbh no one has any right what so ever to demand proof of where a game came from. there are several non-pirate ways people can get a game early. no one is guilty until proven innocent and the burden of proof is on the accuser, not the accused.

if someone talks about pirating the game they should be actioned, but until that they should have their right to privacy just like when speedy's privacy was championed.[/QUOTE]

C'mon now, do you really think we don't know who is pirating games?

I'm tired of this "you can't prove it" argument. It's insulting to think that we can't tell. If we couldn't tell, there wouldn't have been a poll in the first place.

[quote name='shipwreck']C'mon now, do you really think we don't know who is pirating games?

I'm tired of this "you can't prove it" argument. It's insulting to think that we can't tell. If we couldn't tell, there wouldn't have been a poll in the first place.[/quote]

Proving something, is not the same as just having a very good feeling about something.

If you say someone pirated the game, you are only going based off other facts that you know, such as, this person always gets games early, we have seen him talking about piracy before and so on.

That is not PROOF that they pirated something, instead just an educated guess, and ultimately you cannot crucify someone on an educated guess.

PROOF, would be having a picture of them with the pirated disc, or having them coming out and admitting it or some other way that you have a 100% certainty that they indeed pirated the game.

Now, this is Cheapy's house and he can do whatever he wants. However, I believe that this poll should be rendered invalid because it completely leads people to believe that the only possible way someone could get a game early is through piracy, and that simply is not true.

[quote name='shipwreck']C'mon now, do you really think we don't know who is pirating games?

I'm tired of this "you can't prove it" argument. It's insulting to think that we can't tell. If we couldn't tell, there wouldn't have been a poll in the first place.[/quote]

Xbox Live and Wii Connect 24 still can't and if they can havn't done much to stop it

[quote name='darthbudge']Proving something, is not the same as just having a very good feeling about something.

If you say someone pirated the game, you are only going based off other facts that you know, such as, this person always gets games early, we have seen him talking about piracy before and so on.

That is not PROOF that they pirated something, instead just an educated guess, and ultimately you cannot crucify someone on an educated guess.

PROOF, would be having a picture of them with the pirated disc, or having them coming out and admitting it or some other way that you have a 100% certainty that they indeed pirated the game.

Now, this is Cheapy's house and he can do whatever he wants. However, I believe that this poll should be rendered invalid because it completely leads people to believe that the only possible way someone could get a game early is through piracy, and that simply is not true.[/quote]

well put

I'm tired of this "you can't prove it" argument. It's insulting to think that we can't tell. If we couldn't tell, there wouldn't have been a poll in the first place.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty easy to tell by the people getting their panties in a bunch over a poll :lol:

Please explain this 'proof' you have...

Inference =/= proof

Tell us HOW you can prove piracy please..

[quote name='darthbudge']Proving something, is not the same as just having a very good feeling about something.

Now, this is Cheapy's house and he can do whatever he wants. However, I believe that this poll should be rendered invalid because it completely leads people to believe that the only possible way someone could get a game early is through piracy, and that simply is not true.[/QUOTE]

Why do we need proof again? Like I said, I'm tired of the "you can't prove it argument". We wouldn't need PROOF. Just look at your argument, I think an educated guess based upon repeated actions is plenty. And who knows, maybe we have a Local Connect where we would get all our proof from.

[quote name='manthing']Please explain this 'proof' you have...

Inference =/= proof

Tell us HOW you can prove piracy please..[/QUOTE]

See above, we have Local Connects.

hell many of the old Gamestop employees will back me up on this one, I remember GS having Project Gotham Racing 2 4 weeks before street date and the employees taking them home to play it. Guess there pirtaes too

[quote name='shipwreck']Why do we need proof again? Like I said, I'm tired of the "you can't prove it argument". We wouldn't need PROOF. Just look at your argument, I think an educated guess based upon repeated actions is plenty. And who knows, maybe we have a Local Connect where we would get all our proof from.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this. Posting on CAG Forums isn't a protected right, it's a privilege that can be stripped for any reason or no reason at all. If that somehow offends you either grow thicker skin or take your serious internet business elsewhere.

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']hell many of the old Gamestop employees will back me up on this one, I remember GS having Project Gotham Racing 2 4 weeks before street date and the employees taking them home to play it. Guess there pirtaes too[/QUOTE]

Quoted for epic-ness :rofl:

[quote name='shipwreck']Why do we need proof again? Like I said, I'm tired of the "you can't prove it argument". We wouldn't need PROOF. Just look at your argument, I think an educated guess based upon repeated actions is plenty. And who knows, maybe we have a Local Connect where we would get all our proof from.

See above, we have Local Connects.[/quote]

His house, his rules, I get it...

But you still lack incriminating proof...

1) More likely than not, if someone is talking about a game that isn't out yet, they probably pirated it. How many people on here do you actually think have legitimate access to games before they are released? Seriously....

2) If someone is playing a legitimate copy that they took from a store they work at before it was released, that obviously isn't piracy, but that still isn't right. The game has not hit its street date.

i still wanna know what this local connect thing is ? i have a local connect and all he knows is weed. Also i wanna know how you can make a conviction when in a court of law you are innocent until proven guilty with evidence

[quote name='shipwreck']Why do we need proof again? Like I said, I'm tired of the "you can't prove it argument". We wouldn't need PROOF. Just look at your argument, I think an educated guess based upon repeated actions is plenty. And who knows, maybe we have a Local Connect where we would get all our proof from.[/QUOTE]Will you make people prove that they own a game after the ship date, or will you assume that they pirated it too?
Piracy can happen after a game ships too, you know.

And just look at your argument: you're assuming many CAGs are guilty with no reason to. You're going to alienate your userbase--the core of this site--with your absurd "guilty until proven innocent" philosophy.

[quote name='Liquid 2']You're going to alienate your userbase--the core of this site--with your absurd "guilty until proven innocent" philosophy.[/quote]
You know... most of the userbase probably wouldn't/won't care.

I don't see this really affecting enough people to alienate any user base, especially considering a great many people in this thread seem to be for this in a big way.

I see that my posts on this matter have been removed from this thread, likely the work of hackers. But I am here to say that those who propagated these attacks will not silence my work or the work of others. We cannot allow the hackers to reign freely on CAG and subject righteous users to a life of living in the shadows.

This will not be tolerated and I implore you all to make a stand with me in saying "No!" to hackers and pirates.

[quote name='lilboo']Sorry to derail this (even though it's been derailed a million times), but what does Speedy (and anyone else who does this) do that's so bad? I don't see how checking out a weekly ad 2 weeks before it's out is bad?

I remember CiruitCity was pissed because we found out about the PS3 price drop and thus sales stopped for a week or 2? (Something along those lines)..but I don't see how any of that is bad.[/QUOTE]

Speedy provides us with (arguably) copywrited (ugh, that isn't a word but oh well) material. The corporations own that material and therefore argue that they control it.

I say, no way. Information wants to be free. So again, let the information out regardless of where it came from.

[quote name='kev']

I say, no way. Information wants to be free. So again, let the information out regardless of where it came from.[/QUOTE]

Technically no, information is not free to be passed on. At least in the business sense.

I have a feeling certain people would have a different stance regarding information if they actually had any that was worth something. It's easy to say that information should be free when you haven't created anything of value.

[quote name='OneWingedAngeI']it would be ridiculously hypocritical to support speedy, store errors that result in huge discounts, broken street dates, and all of the other questionable stuff that is what this site thrives on, while condemning people who are not even proven as guilty.

tbh no one has any right what so ever to demand proof of where a game came from. there are several non-pirate ways people can get a game early. no one is guilty until proven innocent and the burden of proof is on the accuser, not the accused.

if someone talks about pirating the game they should be actioned, but until that they should have their right to privacy just like when speedy's privacy was championed.[/QUOTE]

Now, this is Cheapy's house and he can do whatever he wants. However, I believe that this poll should be rendered invalid because it completely leads people to believe that the only possible way someone could get a game early is through piracy, and that simply is not true.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Liquid 2']Will you make people prove that they own a game after the ship date, or will you assume that they pirated it too?
Piracy can happen after a game ships too, you know.

And just look at your argument: you're assuming many CAGs are guilty with no reason to. You're going to alienate your userbase--the core of this site--with your absurd "guilty until proven innocent" philosophy.[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause:

Well Said.

Just caught back up on this thread and these were by far the best replies.

While piracy may be bad, companies who produce crappy games and pay for their reviews are much worse. Since website and magazine reviews are essentially untrustworthy, an honest review from a source whose motives I don't have to question is much more useful.

EA is pretty much the antithesis of good software engineering practices and I have no sympathy for whining over piracy due to the fact they're biggest and crappiest publisher around.

So if people pirate a game to see if they want to buy it or let people know whether or not they should buy it, I have a hard time seeing a problem.

I feel bad for the honest people working hard to create a game, but I have no sympathy for the CEO bastards that have no real involvement in the process other than forcing a game out before completion and leaving players with less value for their money.

[quote name='KuragariNoKaze']EA is pretty much the antithesis of good software engineering practices and I have no sympathy for whining over piracy due to the fact they're biggest and crappiest publisher around.

[/quote]
Lolno, EA has made and published some of the best games of this and the previous generation.

[quote name='shipwreck']Why do we need proof again? Like I said, I'm tired of the "you can't prove it argument". We wouldn't need PROOF. Just look at your argument, I think an educated guess based upon repeated actions is plenty. And who knows, maybe we have a Local Connect where we would get all our proof from.

See above, we have Local Connects.[/quote]
Ah, the petty internet jackass route. Sorry, I forgot for a second that CAG mods WEREN'T any different than the standard IRC OP jackoff.

[quote name='RollingSkull']Lolno, EA has made and published some of the best games of this and the previous generation.[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying they did or didn't but could you name them?

[quote name='pimpinc333']I'm not saying they did or didn't but could you name them?[/quote]

007: Everything or Nothing. Tiger Woods remains, for all its rehashing, the top tier golf sim. Def Jam Fight for New York is spectacular. Def Jam Icon tried to be innovative in a way that not a single game company has tried in ages. They published Timesplitters: FP. Mercs 2 (I don't care what the reviews say, I haven't had more than like two glitches and nothing that isn't a glitch in most every other game.), Boom Blox.

This thread just made its own rule.

It's in the Game Rule: The longer an internet argument goes on that is video game centric, the more likely it will devolve into talking about how much EA does or does not suck.

[quote name='Strell']This thread just made its own rule.

It's in the Game Rule: The longer an internet argument goes on that is video game centric, the more likely it will devolve into talking about how much EA does or does not suck.[/quote]
If it weren't for the fact that so many internets videogamesters used it as their daily 5 minute hate boogeyman next to their charred effigy of Jack Thompson...

[quote name='Strell']This thread just made its own rule.

It's in the Game Rule: The longer an internet argument goes on that is video game centric, the more likely it will devolve into talking about how much EA does or does not suck.[/quote]

It is the evolution of video game conversations.

So, the ehtical and moral person may be inclined to say that a review or impression of a game obtained prior to official release is tainted by the means of acquisition (assuming it was illegal in nature). I have a couple of retorts.

First, are we attempting to "protect" the multi billion dollar gaming industry from itself? The pirated copy had to be generated from the developer so what we are really talking about is the gamers acting as the loss prevention office of a company that obviously needs to do a better job either hiring trustworthy employees or closing security holes. They have far more money to address these problems than we do (heck, we're still paying for the developer's security whenever we buy a game).

Second, is this any more or less tasteless than publishers requiring detailed and restricitive contracts that impede honest review from video game reviewers? Certain reviewers have been fired or quit from high profile gigs lately because they refused to write favorably about games they felt were crap. According to the contract terms, the reviewer could not write about flaws in exchange for having advance review copies of the game. Sony recently did this with MSG4. Ultimately they backed off the position but the original review contract stated that the reviewer could not mention the long load times and other "negatives" that may damage sales. To me, this is a blatant attempt of publishers/developer to essentially steal a consumer's money through misleading and dishonest means.

Finally, with the exclusive rights deals in football and baseball, the industry has shown that they would rather avoid fair competition when possible. If the industry isn't interested in a competitive process that gets the gamers the best quality products, then why should we care if they can't control their own staffs' inclinations to leak games?

Overall it seems to me that the vast majority of games that come out are crap. Most of the time the flaws and issues should be pretty easy to pick up in testing (talking to you 2K Sports) but somehow the games get released. This seems to be the companies giving us the collective finger. I know not all developers are like this (thank you Ubi Soft and Bungie) but there are enough that make me ambivalent to their security issues.

When it comes right down to it, the only companies hurt by this type of thing would be those preparing to release a crappy game under false pretenses. Otherwise, the poor quality would be known at release or the consumer is going to be fleeced. I'd rather have the consumers' best interest in mind instead of the game company's. Afterall, we're not talking about selling pirated copies just giving people a heads up on a new release.

Just my two cents.

[quote name='ButcherShopCandy']So, the ehtical and moral person may be inclined to say that a review or impression of a game obtained prior to official release is tainted by the means of acquisition (assuming it was illegal in nature). I have a couple of retorts.

First, are we attempting to "protect" the multi billion dollar gaming industry from itself? The pirated copy had to be generated from the developer so what we are really talking about is the gamers acting as the loss prevention office of a company that obviously needs to do a better job either hiring trustworthy employees or closing security holes. They have far more money to address these problems than we do (heck, we're still paying for the developer's security whenever we buy a game).

Second, is this any more or less tasteless than publishers requiring detailed and restricitive contracts that impede honest review from video game reviewers? Certain reviewers have been fired or quit from high profile gigs lately because they refused to write favorably about games they felt were crap. According to the contract terms, the reviewer could not write about flaws in exchange for having advance review copies of the game. Sony recently did this with MSG4. Ultimately they backed off the position but the original review contract stated that the reviewer could not mention the long load times and other "negatives" that may damage sales. To me, this is a blatant attempt of publishers/developer to essentially steal a consumer's money through misleading and dishonest means.

Finally, with the exclusive rights deals in football and baseball, the industry has shown that they would rather avoid fair competition when possible. If the industry isn't interested in a competitive process that gets the gamers the best quality products, then why should we care if they can't control their own staffs' inclinations to leak games?

Overall it seems to me that the vast majority of games that come out are crap. Most of the time the flaws and issues should be pretty easy to pick up in testing (talking to you 2K Sports) but somehow the games get released. This seems to be the companies giving us the collective finger. I know not all developers are like this (thank you Ubi Soft and Bungie) but there are enough that make me ambivalent to their security issues.

When it comes right down to it, the only companies hurt by this type of thing would be those preparing to release a crappy game under false pretenses. Otherwise, the poor quality would be known at release or the consumer is going to be fleeced. I'd rather have the consumers' best interest in mind instead of the game company's. Afterall, we're not talking about selling pirated copies just giving people a heads up on a new release.

Just my two cents.[/quote]
Very strong point

And just wanted to say that I pirated a early copy of Halo 3 just to finish the story from Halo 2, but i was still there waiting inline for the midnight release just like everyone else so not all pirates actually pirate

I would say no because companies use pirating as an excuse to keep prices higher and the fact that it is stealing is a red flag as well. However unless someone explicitly said, "I pirated this game and did not purchase it early", I do not know how you could enforce that rule.

"my rant" The "piraters" and the "companies" should come together in a new world order and type up some agreement that if prices go down pirating goes down.
LOL. But that crazy of course.

Yes, because the source of the game does not change a person's impressions, as long as they state that the game is not a retail/final version.

[quote name='ButcherShopCandy']
When it comes right down to it, the only companies hurt by this type of thing would be those preparing to release a crappy game under false pretenses.[/QUOTE]

This is a completely naive way of looking at it, since you could argue poor impressions scare people way in the same frequency good impressions might push someone toward a game. But if that is the case and a game is considered worth it, why do you make the jump and assume they'll buy it once it's released? A good impression could just as easily encourage someone to download it immediately.

But since the general attitude of this site if that pirating a game doesn't hurt the industry, I'm not going to defend this point at all. I'm merely pointing out that to say it "only hurts...the bad companies" is being overly idealistic about the entire process.

[quote name='Covnam']Yes, because the source of the game does not change a person's impressions[/QUOTE]

Really? It doesn't?

It's kind of like having someone buy you bad pizza. The pizza might be bad, but hey, it was free. So it wasn't all bad.

I guess the assumption here is that if you wasted time getting the game to begin with and it was shitty, then you're going to call it shitty no matter what. But to say the source doesn't alter the final impression is a little too strong a statement to make.

[quote name='shipwreck']Why do we need proof again? Like I said, I'm tired of the "you can't prove it argument". We wouldn't need PROOF. Just look at your argument, I think an educated guess based upon repeated actions is plenty. And who knows, maybe we have a Local Connect where we would get all our proof from.[/quote]

I'm really bothered by the implications here. I'm not going to presume to tell you what to do, but I will say that I first came to this site because it was an open forum for gamers to talk about what they wanted, without fear of (insert corporation name here) deleting posts or banning users that disagreed with their corporate views. If you want to belittle or dismiss that distinction, that's your prerogative, but you'll do so at the risk of losing the popularity you've acquired. I refuse to participate in forums on playstation.com or xbox.com because the very mention of certain things results in unhappy results (ranging from deleted posts to permaban).

Also, Cheapy, just so you know, it's not very difficult to search and find the best deals on video games... that's not why CAG is popular (and the fact that the CAG Lifestyle & OT forum has more posts than any 2 of the other forums combined proves this). CAG is popular because it is an independent site where gamers can "hang out" and discuss gaming culture, including, but not exclusively, good prices on things. If this site starts to severely punish forum members based on someone's personal morals, I, for one, won't be around for long.

[quote name='Strell']
It's kind of like having someone buy you bad pizza. The pizza might be bad, but hey, it was free. So it wasn't all bad.

I guess the assumption here is that if you wasted time getting the game to begin with and it was shitty, then you're going to call it shitty no matter what. But to say the source doesn't alter the final impression is a little too strong a statement to make.[/quote]

yes and no and your point is very true and i agree with you%100 as i know people who use the line all day "but it was free so who cares" but to be fair i received a free copy of Bullet Witch for the 360 (not by piracy either) and can tell you thank god i didn't pay money for it cause it got thrown into the re gift box about and hour into the game. Same holds true for Turning point fall of liberty got it for free day it came out cause wife surprised me but not that great of a game but in the sense of me saying for a opinion of the game I'd still say "it's a great game plot of the what if, surround sound awesome when firing a weapon better then COD4, visuals ok but not close to COD4 but still not half bad buy but wait till its in the clearance rack as missing this one won't hurt you" even though it was still free

As it has been said 100 times over as long as they give a fair review of the game and keep in mind what makes a game such as story, controls,visuals, sound ,etc then the source of the game won't effect a review of the game at all. I am sorry i just can't see someone saying that "even though the controls suck and the graphics look like a 2 drew them this game is awesome" just cause they got it for free. I know many pirates who won't download or copy a crappy game just to add it to their collection cause whats the point if the game does truly suck.

[quote name='blacksanta87']who gives a crap if its pirated.? SCREW the gaming indistry. Why do we have to spend over 120 dollars just to buy 2 new games? I litterly CANT afford it.
Then they wonder why used gaming shops are getting richer and expanding faster than ever, stealing even more of their sales. the day when games can only be bought via online = fuck gaming . These companys really know how to suck the fun out of playing video games.[/quote]

I'm with you when digital downloads are the norm. That's the generation when I stop gaming and just play the older systems I have. I refuse to pay full price for a copy of a game I don't own a physical copy of.

As for the $120 for 2 games, I'm assuming you don't have a Kmart, Target or Toys R'Us nearby? They've been a godsend for me as far as getting games cheap goes. If I've paid for 2-3 games at or near full retail in the past 3-5 years, it's a miracle. Clearances and sales are your friend.

As far as piracy though, I'm still against it, though I'd still like to see what can be done on the old Xbox(as I still have mine in the closet someplace). But I digress on that.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm with you when digital downloads are the norm. That's the generation when I stop gaming and just play the older systems I have. I refuse to pay full price for a copy of a game I don't own a physical copy of.

As for the $120 for 2 games, I'm assuming you don't have a Kmart, Target or Toys R'Us nearby? They've been a godsend for me as far as getting games cheap goes. If I've paid for 2-3 games at or near full retail in the past 3-5 years, it's a miracle. Clearances and sales are your friend.

As far as piracy though, I'm still against it, though I'd still like to see what can be done on the old Xbox(as I still have mine in the closet someplace). But I digress on that.[/quote]

old xbox's are great for Xbox Media Center which i don;t know if it breaking the rules to mention that or not but it won many Source Forge awards and a wonderful make over for the Xbox 1 .http://xbmc.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Too many posts about piracy, not enough posts about reviewing pirated video games...

Piracy: Bad. Duh.

Reviewing pirated games: A-OK.

I just don't see how it hurts CAG if some users want to post impressions early because they were able to pirate it.

It is not this website's job to police the internet, yeah it can be a problem if people are posting how and where to get pirated content. But that's not the case here, people posting about it in their blog and writing an impression about it is not the same. Come on... no one is forcing any of you to read what "teh evil pirate who is ruining this multi-billion industry!" is writing about.

The problem now (imo) is if someone posts impressions of a game that's not out yet there's gonna be a ton of people who are gonna say "HOW DID YOU GET THIS?" "SHOW PROOF"..and thus, each & every topic will be derailed and lots of people will end up being banned.. :lol:

[quote name='lilboo']The problem now (imo) is if someone posts impressions of a game that's not out yet there's gonna be a ton of people who are gonna say "HOW DID YOU GET THIS?" "SHOW PROOF"..and thus, each & every topic will be derailed and lots of people will end up being banned.. :lol:[/quote]

Very good point and i can already see how that would create a problem but depending in what manner it was written, in can also save a lot of face such as some one saying "I just got a copy of game x and it rules" which will leave a lot of room open to asking how did you get it. While "My manager friend at game stop let me borrow his early release of game x " or "I ordered a game from my trusted vendor on eBay and got it early" which does happen from time to time as we've seen in the past. And if they want proof tell them "Don't take my word for it go get it yourself". Game Informer and other magazines and people said the last Xbox version of Leisure Suit Larry sucked but that didn't stop me from buying it and i thought it was a good game if people really want to know they try it for themselves look at 50 Cent Bulletproof.

On the other hand making it clear to anyone wanting to post something about a game they may have gotten early through what ever means cause we all now there more then just piracy. Knowing already the rules of the forum about not linking piracy products and how to's still know will get them banned with out a vote on this topic. People already know i think that there's more then enough how to sites out there for the piracy side of things and not to look for it here this site is saving money on games not cheap blank media yes there should be a clamp on the piracy thing but a lot of it is how they address the review.

I have no real opinion of value here being as i have just signed up a week or 2 ago and all ready supporting piracy from the looks of my posts, but I have been a long time looker on this site and will say thanks to the folks on here I've gotten some great deals on games and movies. I may have hacked systems but not every hacker so to speak is a pirate or every early poster on a game is a pirate just because some people may get early games. Just being a looker and seeing how great this site was that's what made me sign up cause it's a community of gamers for games. By allowing people to post something about a game early won;t hurt this site or the games if anything it may drive more sales and move more people to buy game when they hit the street date.

Well it hasn't caused any problems yet, and right now there isn't any rules against posting early review/impressions regardless of how it was obtained.

Pirated games are 99% of the time unfinished anyway and the impression or opinion generated by them would therefore be incorrect.

Also, pirates are assholes.

[quote name='Demontooth']Well, you obviously have to vote yes on this matter now, we can't have Omatsei leave.[/QUOTE]

You say this in jest, but I'd say that taking something that has never been a problem and is not illegal and disallowing it, thereby alienating a portion of your userbase, is a pretty big problem. After all, while the site may be owned by one person, the community makes the site, as has already been stated.

It's impossible to fairly police this, unless the title of their review is as follows "OMFG I pirated Fallout 3, and it is teh suksorz !!!111" Then it'd be ok to ban. Otherwise you're asking for more trouble than it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back