Community Feedback Poll - Game Piracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='darthbudge']This.

What is great about CAG is great atmosphere and cool community. If I want super strict professionals only professional reviews for professional people who want things professionally reviewed, I will go to NeoGAF or another lame ass site like that.[/quote]

Since I joined CAG it seems like this site has degenerated into more or less a Gamefaqs-esque shell of it's former self, with sprinklings of Slick Deals and Fat Wallet type behavior thrown in for good measure.

I mean, you have some users buying up assloads of games, then plunking them on their TL's at 3-5x what they paid before 'shipping, something for gas and a big chunk for "my time" ', you have people insulting the shit out of each other and various acts of trolling, flame baiting, etc, etc, etc.

There are still great CAG's to be found on here if you look hard enough, but lately with the new infraction system, many have been forced to walk on eggshells lest they say something that's bannable.

Let's look at this site for what it is really...it's Cheapy's site, we're just registered here. He could ban us all tomorrow if he wanted to for whatever reason. But this site is also a money maker for Cheapy and without us using the affiliate links, how would he make money without click throughs and the like?

It's really a symbiotic relationship all CAG's have with the site. Sure, we could go to SD or FW and find some of the same deals or we could run all over creation in our own areas and try to snap up deals before other people do, wasting tons of gas in the process on what may or may not get us the deals.

To sum this all up: Without CAG, some of us would still go on but have to waste ALOT more money checking for deals that other members may help us out on from time to time. The site has it's bad members, but we do all somehow seem to get along like a big, dysfunctional gaming family. However, the site has become more about 'me me me' attitude lately if you ask me, but I steer clear of those users.

I know I would've never found many of the deals I have without this site, so I'm thankful to still be here.

[quote name='yukine']You think anyone considers a site called Cheap Ass Gamer as professional?[/quote]

[quote name='darthbudge']This.

What is great about CAG is great atmosphere and cool community. If I want super strict professionals only professional reviews for professional people who want things professionally reviewed, I will go to NeoGAF or another lame ass site like that.[/quote]

Considering Cheapy makes money from the site, yes, it is professional. And that's the whole point so many people are trying to make. It does not look good for the site where you have people promoting piracy.

i still don't see how someone posting something about their early thoughts of a game just because "they got a early copy" will hurt things? I mean as long as there not linking,not telling, and not showing how to pirate and just focusing on a game how would this site be supporting piracy? like i said before it's no different then a game stop employee taking a game home before street date and trying it out to sell more games which they tell you to do. Or maybe i just can't see the ad banners for mod chips and such which is typically associated with sites that reflect on piracy while the only ads I've seen on here are for the EDGE card telling people to go spend money like they should.

Also I'd still like to see what proof one has on another other then there own admission to say that a game is pirated when Nintendo and Microsoft still can't tell that's it a pirated copy even when being used online on either system

Piracy maybe wrong and it is but for that matter so is waiting for a used game. Sure yes it's not %100 the same but sure as hell close

Piracy
1)you paid no money to anyone for it not even the people that made it
2)you have broken a US (not china) law and stolen copyright protected material
3)everyone will hate cause you got something for nothing

Used Games
1)you paid money to a store/person but yet no money to the people that made it
2)you haven't broken any laws but by you not buying new little johnny's dad's game didn't sell as much now little johnny will have a bad Xmas
3)everyone will think your cool cause you grabbed a 5 month old game for half price

Retail
1)Buy buying new you paid full price to the makers and only put a little profit in the store wallet
2)Your a true patron of morals
3)Your going to kick yourself in the ass when you get home and realize that in 2 months that $50 game will be half off.

people want to be pissed at pirates and talk about how it hurting the industry so is buying used for that matter as you've already had someone pay the rights to it..hey kinda of like piracy.

And just to through it out there again if piracy hurts so much and is so wrong why the hell is it Nintendo and Microsoft are 1st and 2nd when Sony's in 3rd oh that's right cause there good systems..or because their the 2 next gen systems that have a piracy exploit to them while Sony has none. And don't even say "they didn't now it would happen" when they made the same security mistake they made last gen come on 1 month the Wii was hacked fastest exploit in gaming history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Piracy maybe wrong and it is but for that matter so is waiting for a used game. Sure yes it's not %100 the same but sure as hell close
No, actually it isn't even close to the same thing. Piracy is theft. Plain and simple. And last time I checked, theft is still a crime in most places. Buying and selling second-hand goods is not illegal.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']No, actually it isn't even close to the same thing. Piracy is theft. Plain and simple. And last time I checked, theft is still a crime in most places. Buying and selling second-hand goods is not illegal.[/quote]
oh yes piracy illegal and no argument here on that matter but yet used puts no money back into the hands of the developers as it would if more people bought new.True it was paid for once and it was obtained by legal means but how many times has that disc been paid for over again and no kickback went to Ubisoft or some other developer.

by posting early impressions of games weather they be pirated or not will not drive people off or scream "come all ye pirates we support you " but rather generate better search results from engines and traffic flow as your having more people trying to dig up info on a game that's about to hit the street in a few days and stumble upon a pre-release review of that game on this site.

And anybody stupid enough to post or say "hey guys i just download and burned this bad ass new game" then yeah ban them that's proof of guilt

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']i still don't see how someone posting something about their early thoughts of a game just because "they got a early copy" will hurt things?[/quote]

Admittedly, the rest of your post was a little difficult for me to understand, but this definitely needs repeating. What problem is this ban going to solve? A potential one, somewhere down the road? I suppose it's possible that at some point, someone from some company will stumble upon this site, and find a review of a game that isn't released yet, and maybe want the find out some info on that person. I still fail to see how this is Cheapy's, the moderator's, or the CAG community's problem at all. If the company gets a subpoena, then Cheapy should give whatever info he has on that person. I just don't see what this absurd level of moderation is supposed to accomplish.

If you want to prove a point that piracy is bad, great. Make a sticky. We get it.

[quote name='Omatsei'] I suppose it's possible that at some point, someone from some company will stumble upon this site, and find a review of a game that isn't released yet, and maybe want the find out some info on that person. I still fail to see how this is Cheapy's, the moderator's, or the CAG community's problem at all. If the company gets a subpoena, then Cheapy should give whatever info he has on that person. I just don't see what this absurd level of moderation is supposed to accomplish.

If you want to prove a point that piracy is bad, great. Make a sticky. We get it.[/quote]

I think if anyone wanted to get a court order for user records there are about another 20 -100 sites out there that deal only in the modification and manipulation through well documented public means of obtaining piracy on a game system. I could never see a judge giving a subpoena to a company to obtain records because just like in a video game magazine someone posted "hey in about a week this game's going to come out and oh boy doe's it suck".

Ok so I went to my Local EB now Gamstop in Toronto and snapped a picture of what I think is just as bad as piracy itself. This is a follow up to my previous posts. As legal as it may be, is it still as moral? The dude who traded this copy in the day before (a buddy of mine from work) said EB gave him 28 bucks Canadian for this game. I am putting a new copy beside a used copy and he used his quite frequently. Take a look:

http://s93380653.onlinehome.us/other/wtf.jpg

I call that bullshit. The 360 has the same price as well as other games in this category (ie MGS4 or COD4 have similar gaps). Discuss.

I'm not sure what you're asking...is them selling the game for $55 as bad as piracy? Obviously not. They have every right to sell it for whatever they want. If someone is silly enough to buy it for $55 for a used copy, that's their problem. They should be smarter consumers.

[quote name='crystalklear64']I've got a feeling I'm going to be disappointed come 7:30.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean? Game piracy is bad.n That's the question mirite?

Closer than I thought.

I really hope this poll won't be used to make any decisions, due to the fact that it's quite clearly a leading question if I've ever seen one.

very interesting. Though the reasonings behind voting yes or no vary greatly. You could be anti piracy and still vote yes, simply because you feel it's not CAG's job to hunt down pirates.

Why is the dreamcast brought up in every piracy discussion? It did not kill the system outright, as it was a combination of the PS2's hype, horrible marketing and support, Sega coming off the failure of the Saturn, and lack of stronger 3rd parties (EA didn't release any sports titles on it IIRC). I personally feel that people use piracy as a scapegoat to cover up bigger issues with the industry itself (bad advertising, niche markets, horrible DRM, etc). However, that's a topic for another time.

As for gaming reviews, can this be an issue? I think so, in the same sense that non-optimal hardware can. The intention is overall for the best.

[quote name='darthbudge']"MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!"

Let's start banning them pirate ass sons of bitches right back to the communist countries they come from![/quote]

are those the words of G .w Bush?

and there's still no proof a game was pirated

[quote name='darthbudge']"MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!"

Let's start banning them pirate ass sons of bitches right back to the communist countries they come from![/QUOTE]

Hey, let's overreact much while we're at it.

I actually think ~1800 votes is quite a few, given the circumstances of this site. You have to remember probably 10k+ people are one-offs, either because they are spambots or people who forgot they signed up. Then there's the dupe accounts when someone forgot their password, or they tried to get around a ban, etc. And the people who stop coming to CAG altogether. So on so on.

It's hovering around...what, 5%? About as good as could be expected.

I suppose this poll is as valid as any other, but I think a lot of people voted no on Piracy as opposed to no on the actual issue the poll was about.

I'd like to see a "Which damages the Videogames industry more, Piracy or 2nd hand game sales?" poll, but I wouldn't blame Cheapy for not doing that, with CAGs current sponsors and all.

[quote name='benjamouth']I suppose this poll is as valid as any other, but I think a lot of people voted no on Piracy as opposed to no on the actual issue the poll was about.

I'd like to see a "Which damages the Videogames industry more, Piracy or 2nd hand game sales?" poll, but I wouldn't blame Cheapy for not doing that, with CAGs current sponsors and all.[/quote]
Well, I think a better question would be "Are used games as bad for the industry as piracy?" since I don't know that much of an argument could be made for it being worse. Would be a good debate though.

ITT: Proof that democracy sucks

The real question is how does anyone intend to know whether or not someone pirated the game for their review?

[quote name='Koggit']ITT: Proof that democracy sucks

The real question is how does anyone intend to know whether or not someone pirated the game for their review?[/QUOTE]

Agreed completely.

The real question is how does anyone intend to know whether or not someone pirated the game for their review?[/quote]

i think they're going to use the same intel sources that Bush used when looking for those WMD's

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']i think they're going to use the same intel sources that Bush used when looking for those WMD's[/quote]
The ones that also convinced many of the world's intelligence agencies and former President Bill Clinton?

no not trying to get political i just feel that none of those presidential bastards are any good anyway you only get 1 year out of them weather they be Republican or Democrat

Year one they have to kiss ass and make photo shoots as well as settling in to there new job
Year Two they have a scandals to worry about
Year Three they finely get some real work done
Year Four They have to start re-election campaign

but like i said , he said , and has been said over and over again they will never know if its a pirated copy or not

It is true that in most cases, we wouldn't know if someone was reviewing a pirated game or not... but it still doesn't justify the behavior. It's like saying it's okay to steal a car because you were going to write a review about it. This community is built around the central purpose of gamers who just want to save a few bucks. Condoning piracy removes the C from CAG.

The real question is how does anyone intend to know whether or not someone pirated the game for their review?[/quote]

You just don't get it. The point is people want to get attention by posting about the game before it is even released. Why should a thief be allowed to do that? If you somehow got a legit copy before release date then post a photo; lots of sites do this.

[quote name='donkeydrop']You just don't get it. The point is people want to get attention by posting about the game before it is even released. Why should a thief be allowed to do that? If you somehow got a legit copy before release date then post a photo; lots of sites do this.[/quote]
a photo of the box or the receipt?

[quote name='bubbafett4hire']a photo of the box or the receipt?[/QUOTE]

If this was the case, I'd say both, and maybe a piece of paper with your CAG user name on it for good measure.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']If this was the case, I'd say both, and maybe a piece of paper with your CAG user name on it for good measure.[/quote]
As well as your dental records.

My review of Lego: Batman.

It is good. Batman is in it.

Oh wait, I can't post impressions of a game before release date without a receipt.. I swear, I swear, this eyepatch doesn't mean anything! I'm not worthy, I don't have your level of morality!!! Please don't swat at me with said interweb weaponry known as "banhammer."

[quote name='Skylander7']My review of Lego: Batman.

It is good. Batman is in it.

Oh wait, I can't post impressions of a game before release date without a receipt.. I swear, I swear, this eyepatch doesn't mean anything! I'm not worthy, I don't have your level of morality!!! Please don't swat at me with said interweb weaponry known as "banhammer."[/quote]

fail-1.jpg

[quote name='donkeydrop']You just don't get it. The point is people want to get attention by posting about the game before it is even released. Why should a thief be allowed to do that? If you somehow got a legit copy before release date then post a photo; lots of sites do this.[/QUOTE]

Attention? They're getting attention?! DEAR GOD WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO!! I didn't realize attention from users of a video game forum on the internet was at stake! This is far more serious than I could've ever imagined. You're right, we can't let those bastards get away with such a fantastic reward for their despicable actions! Batten down the hatches, boys! This here's a war worth fightin'! Sink the attention-plundering pirate scum!

[quote name='Koggit']Attention? They're getting attention?! DEAR GOD WHY DIDN'T YOU SAY SO!! I didn't realize attention from users of a video game forum on the internet was at stake! This is far more serious than I could've ever imagined. You're right, we can't let those bastards get away with such a fantastic reward for their despicable actions! Batten down the hatches, boys! This here's a war worth fightin'! Sink the attention-plundering pirate scum![/QUOTE]
lolz!
He does have a point, it is pretty unfair for software pirates to taunt their advantages, especially if they're immoral about it. However... yeth, this is a cereal matter, like Manbearpig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back