component cables

[quote name='Jared4781']Nintendo.com was swamped with orders from what I heard. Since customers pre-paid on N.com they are obligated to fulfill those orders. I'm sure Nintendo is fulfilling all of the N.com orders first and than shipping product to the stores[/QUOTE]

Right, except that that all goes out the window when a few days ago they had a note up saying they were backordered until 12/18, at which point they would be available in stores too. Then they TOOK THAT DOWN, and apparently people who ordered after that have had them ship already. So, that is all BS. It looks like they have just decided to ship all stock for the Nintendo.com orders and push back store deliveries by nearly 2 months. Besides, there was never any obligation - after the initial rush of orders PRE-LAUNCH, they said they were backordered and had no obligation to fill any further orders or provide and more online sales (and could have delivered to stores as promoised). They backed out on that.

I would be fine with all that if they were just up front about it. But saying they will be available in stores at launch (as Perrin Kaplan first said), then saying it would be December, then saying the web site would be backordered till mid-Dec just like the store deliveries, then saying the web site is NOT backordered, and now saying stores won't have them till Feb is just BS. And, while I got an order in yesterday, it is still backordered - if they deliver them next week I'll be happy. HOWEVER, I'm still a bit pissed that I had to pay $35 in cash for these when I should have been able to get them at a place like EB using credit (for only $30).

I sure hope these cables work miracles. I just hooked my Wii up to my HDTV and boy ... ummm .... I'm not sure what to think. On my SDTV it looks awesome, on the HDTV ... eh not so much.

[quote name='dallow']Here's a question.

Will the component cables make the 480p capable GC games display in progressive?[/QUOTE]

Yes. My component cables arrived yesterday from nintendo. When I loaded Resident Evil 4 in the disc channel, I was automatically prompted to choose whether or not to run the game in progressive scan mode. It's the only Cube game I currently own, but I imagine it works the same for the rest.

P.S. Don't forget to change your Wii system settings to 480p as well, simply using the component cables doesn't change the display.

The component cables make a huge difference. Today I was in EB and asked when they were getting component cables and the manager said Nintendo sent them one set today for the demo unit. He told me they were hooked up so I handed over my ID and went to try it out. I thought it looked pretty bad so I went to the Wii menu, sure enough they hadn't changed the option in the menu. I relaunched the game and difference was stunning in Excite Truck. The manager came over and thanked me and several customers were blown away by the difference.

[quote name='BREVITY']A while back I ordered some stuff from Play-Asia and among those things was a set of Component cables for the Wii-@24$.
Well I only just now noted that it says Japanese out to the right.

My question is will these work on my US Wii? I would think so but wanted to ask.[/quote]

Absolutely. A cable is a cable. :)

[quote name='endz']i got zelda on ice till i get theses...... which is gonna be a long time it seems[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends on your backlog of other games to play, but I don't think you should wait for cables to play Zelda - it's that good. I put in a good 12-13 hours of playtime in 480i and didn't hurt the experience in the least. In fact, I think you appreciate the difference 480p makes if you've played through a bit of the game without that increased resolution. You can always go back and revisit areas if you're that curious as to what they look like in progressive scan.

Again, in my opinion, the Zelda experience is not hurt at all by playing in 480i - don't let it sit on your shelf, especially if you don't think you'll get cables until January!

[quote name='Jared4781']I sure hope these cables work miracles. I just hooked my Wii up to my HDTV and boy ... ummm .... I'm not sure what to think. On my SDTV it looks awesome, on the HDTV ... eh not so much.[/quote]

Same here it looks pretty shoddy on my hdtv also. Its playable but everything is kind of fuzzy.

[quote name='Doom5']The in-stock date for the React cables is 12/13. I saw it with my own two eyes as I had a sales associate check the SKU for me.[/quote]

Dunno about the React component cables but I just found React s-video cables for the Wii at my local BB today. Since I don't have an HDTV, this should do fine for now.

[quote name='io']Right, except that that all goes out the window when a few days ago they had a note up saying they were backordered until 12/18, at which point they would be available in stores too. Then they TOOK THAT DOWN, and apparently people who ordered after that have had them ship already. So, that is all BS. It looks like they have just decided to ship all stock for the Nintendo.com orders and push back store deliveries by nearly 2 months. Besides, there was never any obligation - after the initial rush of orders PRE-LAUNCH, they said they were backordered and had no obligation to fill any further orders or provide and more online sales (and could have delivered to stores as promoised). They backed out on that.

I would be fine with all that if they were just up front about it. But saying they will be available in stores at launch (as Perrin Kaplan first said), then saying it would be December, then saying the web site would be backordered till mid-Dec just like the store deliveries, then saying the web site is NOT backordered, and now saying stores won't have them till Feb is just BS. And, while I got an order in yesterday, it is still backordered - if they deliver them next week I'll be happy. HOWEVER, I'm still a bit pissed that I had to pay $35 in cash for these when I should have been able to get them at a place like EB using credit (for only $30).[/QUOTE]

I feel ya. I'm in the exact same boat. Me being so cheap I was hoping to get them in a store for around $20 ($15 after GGC at Best Buy). Paying $35 for a cable is hard for me to do, especially after forking over the money once for Gamecube progressive scan cables.

I was holding off on playing Zelda but I think I'm going to go ahead and take the plunge. Hopefully the React cables will arrive on the 13th and I'll pick those up instead.

[quote name='coolz481']I guess it depends on your backlog of other games to play, but I don't think you should wait for cables to play Zelda - it's that good. I put in a good 12-13 hours of playtime in 480i and didn't hurt the experience in the least. In fact, I think you appreciate the difference 480p makes if you've played through a bit of the game without that increased resolution. You can always go back and revisit areas if you're that curious as to what they look like in progressive scan.

Again, in my opinion, the Zelda experience is not hurt at all by playing in 480i - don't let it sit on your shelf, especially if you don't think you'll get cables until January![/quote]

well i got about 24 hours logged on the game, so i aint exactly keeping it on ice but more on hold, i know how the game looks, and how it would look with the cables, i rather play the second half of the game with the improve graphics. put my HDTV to use at least, i know what you mean though, the game is super dope.

but guess what? i ordered the cables on the 30th, they got shipped tonight :bouncy: :lol:

[quote name='clumsychu']would component cables be worth buying is you have a standard def TV?[/quote]

Nope; they don't look any better than S-video on SDTV.

[quote name='clumsychu']would component cables be worth buying is you have a standard def TV?[/QUOTE]

Well, it will look better than composite and s-video, but you won't get progressive scan. Are you sure you have components with your standard def tv? If you want the best connection possible, then go for it, atleast you will be ready for whenever you get an hdtv.

[quote name='fred_h_haddad']Nope; they don't look any better than S-video on SDTV.[/QUOTE]

I think this depends on the TV. I played my GC on an SDTV for equal time on S-Video and Component, and although the picture wasn't much sharper I did see a noticeable bump in color depth going from S-Video to component.

Given that S-Video is backordered as well, if you can support it component is probably the way to go.

Whoever that hasn't ordered their cables should order at the Nintendo Online Store. I ordered on... Tuesday and they have shipped. UPS doesn't recognize my tracking number yet but it's a good start!

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']I ordered mine from Nintendo's store tonight...I guess they have them back in stock.[/quote]

I just did the same this morning....hopefully they'll ship soon:D

Are the cables still that hard to find in the States?
I saw them all over the place here in Japan....

And before anyone asks, I WOULD be willing to buy some for people here, but I literally CAN'T. I spent the last of my money on my plane ticket home for the holidays! :(

Now if they would just release the damned D-Terminal cable! *grrr*
It was inexplicably delayed til Dec 9th. Bah!

I ordered mine last Thursday with overnight shipping. Over the weekend my order still said backordered. Think there is any chance I receive them today?

[quote name='WildWop']
Nope; Component cables don't look any better on SDTV / 480i analog set.
I played my GC on an SDTV for equal time on S-Video and Component, and although the picture wasn't much sharper I did see a noticeable bump in color depth going from S-Video to component.[/quote]
You piqued my curiosity. What does "color depth" mean?

[quote name='fred_h_haddad']You piqued my curiosity. What does "color depth" mean?[/quote]

I'm assuming the OP means "color saturation"...something that is usually much better with component cables than with svideo cables. Typically, it means the colors are a bit more vibrant and "true".

S-video doesn't have color saturation (because the color signal is kept separate & "pure" unlike composite).

And on an analog SDTV all the red,green,blue signals get recombined into a single "color" signal anyway. Hence no benefit gained from component.

[quote name='fred_h_haddad']
S-video doesn't have color saturation (because the color signal is kept separate & "pure" unlike composite).

And on an analog SDTV all the red,green,blue signals get recombined into a single "color" signal anyway. Hence no benefit gained from component.[/quote]

Huh? What you meant to say is that there is no be benefit gained comparing S-video to component?

My SDTV has component inputs. Pilferk has it right. Colors do appear a bit more vibrant and true on component versus composite, but the picture sharpness remains the same between the two. You'll just have to ask yourself if a slight increase in color purity is worth $30 for you.

[quote name='Pratt75']I ordered mine last Thursday with overnight shipping. Over the weekend my order still said backordered. Think there is any chance I receive them today?[/quote]Yeah i did the same thing i have mine in my hand right now. I did the red shipping(overnight), have you checked your order status lately? You may want to call Nintendo CS because i know they have them in stock

[quote name='Plac1d']
S-video doesn't have color saturation (because the color signal is kept separate & "pure" unlike composite). And on an analog SDTV all the red,green,blue signals get recombined into a single "color" signal anyway. Hence no benefit gained from component.
Huh? What you meant to say is that there is no be benefit gained comparing S-video to component? Pilferk has it right. Colors do appear a bit more vibrant and true on component versus composite,.....[/quote]

We're not discussing composite. We're discussing S-VIDEO vs. component. I don't think an old-fashioned analog NTSC set will show any difference because of the nature of the beast.

Hence upgrading from an S-video cable to a component cable (for an old analog set) would be a waste of money. IMHO.

[quote name='fred_h_haddad']We're not discussing composite. We're discussing S-VIDEO vs. component. I don't think an old-fashioned analog NTSC set will show any difference because of the nature of the beast.

Hence upgrading from an S-video cable to a component cable (for an old analog set) would be a waste of money. IMHO.[/quote]

I can't say on the Wii, since I don't have an S-vid cable, and am awaiting my component cables...

But I can say this:

On our "old" 36 inch Panasonic in the kids "playroom", I can see a marked difference in color saturation and Picture Quality, when using our DVD player, between Svideo and Component hook ups. Part of that is probably the fact that progressive scan capability is ONLY available via component. I tend to notice less signal noise, as well, but I can't be 100% sure thats not just the difference in cable quality (the s-vid cable, the "normal" hook up for the playroom, is a cheapy).

I agree, the differences between S-vid and Component, on an SDTV are subtle and perhaps not worth the extra expense. The difference is if your tv supports progressive scan over Component video. Then, I think, the difference is more dramatic and worth the extra cash.

So it all comes down to how old is old. Only the OLDEST of the sets with component, I think, don't support progressive scan. If yours does, I think it's worth the upgrade. If not, it's probably not as the differences you'll see are minimal.

[quote name='pilferk']Part of that is probably the fact that progressive scan capability is ONLY available via component. [/quote]

Clumsychu asked about old, sdtv, analog sets. They don't have progressive scan. Which means Component (480i) has no advantage over S-video (480i) and no reason to upgrade from S-video.

Wow; clumsychu's simple question turned into an interesting technical discussion.
Cool.

[quote name='fred_h_haddad']Clumsychu asked about old, sdtv, analog sets. They don't have progressive scan. Which means Component (480i) has no advantage over S-video (480i) and no reason to upgrade from S-video.

Wow; clumsychu's simple question turned into an interesting technical discussion.
Cool.[/quote]

Again, depends on how old "old" is. If it has component inputs, it can't be TOO "old".

Our Panny is most certainly an "old" analog (no digital tuner) sdtv set.....with component inputs. The ONLY format it can do other than 480i is 480p.

So, again, check the owners manual on your TV and see if it's 480p capable. If it is, use component. If it isn't, and you already have S-vid cables...keep 'em.

[quote name='pilferk']

I agree, the differences between S-vid and Component, on an SDTV are subtle and perhaps not worth the extra expense. [/QUOTE]

What's the extra expense here? $5 at most?

Play-asia has the S-Video cables for $29.90 and Nintendo isn't even listing them at the moment, so the decision isn't as complex as everyone's making it out to be...

I agree if you already HAVE the s-video cables you may not get much out of spending another $30 for component, but since I find it likely that few of us have either it makes sense to go straight to component if you have the inputs available on your tv.

[quote name='fred_h_haddad']Clumsychu asked about old, sdtv, analog sets. They don't have progressive scan. Which means Component (480i) has no advantage over S-video (480i) and no reason to upgrade from S-video.

Cool.[/quote] Component displays richer, truer colors on any TV over Svideo.

Regardless, I find it hard to believe there are too many TVs out there with component that aren't ED, that is, able to handle progressive scan. But, even if you don't, all things being equal, just get the component cables, at least then you're somewhat future-proofed if you upgrade TVs in the next few years. :)

[quote name='pilferk']Our Panny is most certainly an "old" analog (no digital tuner) sdtv set.....with component inputs. The ONLY format it can do other than 480i is 480p. [/quote] Then it isn't sdtv. It's EDTV (enhanced rather than standard).

What's the extra expense here? $5 at most?
It would cost me (or anyone) about $30 to upgrade from S-video cable (480i) to Component cable (480i). Not worth it for SDTV since you can't see any difference. Waste-of-money IMHO.

Here's an interesting article I found: "There are circumstances where a component connection into a display devices will look worse than an S-Video connection. Logic would tell you that shouldn’t happen. .......A small part of the problem is that in the standard definition broadcast industry there are three different sets of voltage levels for component video. ....It is often accomplished by converting the incoming component signal to S-Video, then sending that signal to their standard decoder chip. Believe it or not, this is a common practice, not only among TV set manufacturers, but in several video up converters. There is a picture quality loss going from Component to S-Video then back to Component inside the old processor chip." - continued - http://www.videoessentials.com/notes_on_video.php -

Component Cable ---> S-video (conversion inside the set) ---> Picture (on-screen)
will not look as good as:
S-video Cable ---> Picture (on-screen).

This article was published 5 years ago but is still relevant. In some cases (like an old 480i set) component might actually look worse than S-video. I would not make the upgrade unless my set had 480p or better.

I DONT CARE. i already placed an order for mine with nintendo, and i dont plan on touching zelda until i get the cable. but then i am a 52 inch hdtv owner so chyea!

[quote name='fred_h_haddad']Then it isn't sdtv. It's EDTV (enhanced rather than standard).
[/quote]

:roll:

You're missing the point (intentionally, it seems, to be argumentative)....if it has component inputs, it very likely can display a 480p signal, and may not have been "sold" as an EDTV (ours was not, I assure you). Largely, that's going to depend on just how "old" it is. It MIGHT not be able to, but it's worth a check of the owners manual on his set to find out. Why not just conced the point that the OP should check, before making a decision, and move on?

And, once again, if it IS capable of 480p display, go with the component.

Like I said: [quote name='fred_h_haddad']

I would not make the upgrade unless my set had 480p or better.[/quote] Please read the WHOLE message not just the first 1-2 sentences. ;)

[quote name='fred_h_haddad']Like I said: Please read the WHOLE message not just the first 1-2 sentences. ;)[/quote]
I did. Your reply TO ME was what I replyed to.

You LATER comments still didn't concede the point it would be best to check your owners manual if you have component hook ups. Only that if you had 480p it would be worth it.

Maybe it's YOU who should read the messages, eh?

"Concede?" :roll: Ooookay. I'd rather address the original poster's question:

[quote name='clumsychu']would component cables be worth buying is you have a standard def TV?[/quote]

- No because SDTV only goes up to 480-interlaced. There's no difference between S-video and Component at that resolution. In fact, component might look worse (due to conversions/losses inside the set) so it's not worth the $30 expense to upgrade from S-video cable.

- If your tv is actually EDTV (enhanced) and has 480-progressive then it would be worth an upgrade since 480p eliminates flicker/distortion of an interlace display.

- Oh and just for the sake of completion, here are the "official" definitions according to the FCC:

Standard Definition TV (SDTV) - SDTV is the basic level of quality display and resolution for both analog and digital. Transmission of SDTV may be in either the traditional (4:3) or widescreen (16:9) format.
Enhanced Definition TV (EDTV) - EDTV is a step up from Analog Television. EDTV comes in 480p traditional (4:3) or widescreen (16:9) format, and provides better picture quality than SDTV.
High Definition TV (HDTV) - HDTV in widescreen format (16:9) provides the highest resolution and picture quality of all digital broadcast formats (720p, 1080i, 1080p, and higher).

I hope that advice is helpful.

Am I the only one thinking that this is turning into an AVGForum kinda dick measuring contest?

Let me sum this up:

If you have a standard TV not capable of progressive scan, and a small screen.. keep your yellow Wii cable.

If you have a larger standard TV and the screen is a little blurry, get some S-Video cables.

If your set is capable of 480p or higher, join the other million something of us pissed about this Nintendo oversight, and begin the search (or griping for lack of) for component cables.

I usually don't give a shit about random posts such as what are occuring in this thread, but c'mon.. some people are coming here for info on the god damned cables. These "expertise" posts are beginning to contradict each other and become hostile. Open up a vs. thread for it or something.

[quote name='Skylander7']Am I the only one thinking that this is turning into an AVGForum kinda dick measuring contest? [/quote]

LOL, thats one way to put it. That was pretty funny man.:applause:

[quote name='fred_h_haddad']
It would cost me (or anyone) about $30 to upgrade from S-video cable (480i) to Component cable (480i). Not worth it for SDTV since you can't see any difference. Waste-of-money IMHO.

[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't cost about $30 to upgrade to Component in most real-world Wii situations right now as neither cable is readily available and the chances of someone being faced with the option of upgrading an S-Video cable (that they already own) to Component are pretty slim. The $5 I mention there is in reference to a start-from-scratch (i.e. all you have is regular composite) choice between S-Video and Component -- essentially the additional cost would be whatever price difference there is between buying S-Video and Component.

I'm not sure if there even IS a difference, but for argument's sake I said $5. Max $10, as I can't imagine them charging less than $20 for any system accessory.

Given the situation where someone already has a Wii S-Video cable and is not planning on getting an ED or HDTV sometime soon, I'd agree that it's not really worth the $30 for component at this point. That's about the only scenario where I wouldn't recommend component, though, even if Component ~ S-Video on an SDTV.

I found some react composite cables at best buy tonight. Has anyone tried these out yet? I haven't opened them yet, and if they totally suck, I'd rather bring them back. They were $19.99 by the way.

[quote name='arrrggghhh']I found some react composite cables at best buy tonight. Has anyone tried these out yet? I haven't opened them yet, and if they totally suck, I'd rather bring them back. They were $19.99 by the way.[/QUOTE]
What? They're at BB now?

[quote name='arrrggghhh']They were at the one in Union City, CA about an hour ago if you are near there. They had a few left.[/QUOTE]
Argh (heh), I'm not near there...thanks anyway though.

[quote name='arrrggghhh']I found some react composite cables at best buy tonight. Has anyone tried these out yet? I haven't opened them yet, and if they totally suck, I'd rather bring them back. They were $19.99 by the way.[/QUOTE]

Wait a minute.. composite or component??

bread's done
Back