Consolidated Metroid Prime Trilogy Thread: GameStop-Exclusive T-Shirt

the_punisher

CAGiversary!
Feedback
200 (100%)
230637b.jpg

Amazon- Metroid Prime Trilogy - $46.99:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002ATY7JE/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20
There appears to be no regular edition listed, and the Collector's Edition also appear to be exclusive to Amazon.

Best Buy- $49.99 + $10 GC
[quote name='eau']BestBuy RZ members get a free $10 GC with in-store purchase of the game.
https://myrewardzone.bestbuy.com/viewDetails.jspx?tc=CPN_METRD[/QUOTE]

Gamecrazy- $49.99 with Free Baseball Cap
http://www.gamecrazy.com/games/game.aspx?id=14445
pre_metroid.jpg

GameStop- Metroid Prime Trilogy - with Bonus!- $49.99
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74982

Pre-order at GameStop for a free t-shirt, seen below (yep, awesome):
230637_bonusLG.jpg

Text from Joystiq's article:

If you were jealous of Japan's New Play Control releases of Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, don't be. Nintendo of America just announced plans to release all three (non-pinball) Metroid Prime games on a single Wii disc as Metroid Prime Trilogy. The press release says that it was developed by "Retro Studios and Nintendo." Did Retro itself work on the refit before leaving Nintendo, or does the Retro credit apply only to the original games?

Metroid Prime 1 and 2 will be enhanced with a widescreen mode and the pointer-based Wii controls from the Japanese re-releases. Metroid Prime 3 won't be, because it was already a Wii game and already has them. The collection will feature a "new unlockables system" that allows access to bonus artwork and other rewards based on accomplishments in all three games -- Corruption's "token" system applied to the whole series.

Trilogy will be out in North America on August 24 for $50.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually a pretty nice shirt. They're going for the whole off-center thing that most trendy shirts seem to be going for these days. Not bad at all.

I wish they would just say what size it is. I was so excited about the free T-shirt with Rock Band 2 and when I got it I was gravely disappointed to see it was only large. I could do an XL but not a large.

preordered at 43$ with the ECA discount. Steel case, even though I have all 3 and I paid $46 for just metroid Prime 3 (still shrink wrapped).

really, really want this. but i know i would likely never get around to finishing all three games again (played and finished them all when first released). I should probably pass and just clear some backlog games, but damn, this is a nice collection!

[quote name='sapient']preordered at 43$ with the ECA discount. Steel case, even though I have all 3 and I paid $46 for just metroid Prime 3 (still shrink wrapped).[/QUOTE]

I will do you one better. Mine would be sealed except for I opened it to get the Nintendo points code. Otherwise it would be sealed because I haven't got to play it yet. So now if I go to sell it to re-coup my cost for this I won't get much. :(

Same boat as some of ya. Own all 3 previous Prime games, only played about half of the 1st game and never touched the 2nd or 3rd Metroid Prime's. But I ordered this for $43 with the ECA discount. I'm a huge sucker for Metroid games, passed all of the GBA ones. :)

Whoa, the GBA ones were the good the ones! Fusion (Metroid 4) and Zero Mission (a remake of Metroid 1) are both well worth playing, although I think 1 and 3 are still better than 4.

Prime 1 is up there with the 'regular' series, but IMO Prime 3 is terrible, and not even a real Metroid game.

I also own all three Prime games, but I never finished 2 and I really loved the controls in 3, so I'm in. If you count this as 1 game, it will automatically be the 2nd or 3rd best Wii game (Galaxy is the best).

Might have to play the 3rd or 2nd Metroid Prime games today, just to validate the money I spent on them before. I never actually tried the Wii controls on the 3rd, so it will serve as a demo of sorts.

But yeah, the GBA games are excellent. Playing through Zero mission twice now, but stopped due to a 50+ game backlog, and Gamefly isn't helping.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Whoa, the GBA ones were the good the ones! Fusion (Metroid 4) and Zero Mission (a remake of Metroid 1) are both well worth playing, although I think 1 and 3 are still better than 4.

Prime 1 is up there with the 'regular' series, but IMO Prime 3 is terrible, and not even a real Metroid game.[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought Fusion was up there with Super Metroid. I really liked the look of the new suit.

Yeah, that was cool. No, I mean it was excellent and shouldn't be missed in the all too uncrowded field of Metroid style games, but I personally preferred 1 and 3 to 2 and 4. But I'd give really high scores to all of them :)

a little clarification on this please...

are all versions listed in the OP the same edition or does amazon have an exclusive collectors edition?

i want to pre order at GS for the t shirt but if amazon has a nice edition for sale for the same price, i'm all over that. thanks !

[quote name='SecretAgentHam']a little clarification on this please...

are all versions listed in the OP the same edition or does amazon have an exclusive collectors edition?

i want to pre order at GS for the t shirt but if amazon has a nice edition for sale for the same price, i'm all over that. thanks ![/QUOTE]

Sorry, i'm not sure. Wish they'd give more details on this...

[quote name='the_punisher']Sorry, i'm not sure. Wish they'd give more details on this...[/QUOTE]

isnt it annoying? lol.

well, so long as i get the games i dont mind. i'll take the shirt, it looks too badass for me to pass up.

holy shit!!!! a wii game has a collectors edition??? and is a fuckin nintendo game!!???!?! and its less than regular edition lol.. they are obviously new at this...

Wow, looks like it now comes with THREE pre-order bonuses at GameStop. Their online listing now shows three separate bonus items - a shirt, an artbook, and a poster (online only for the last one).

In any case, does anyone know for sure if the Collectors Edition is the only edition being released? I.e. is there a "standard" edition of this thing?

[quote name='Wolfpup']This DOESN'T support the classic controller, right? :cry:[/QUOTE]

I'm wondering the same thing. I welcome the wii controls to Prime 1 & 2 but I don't understand why more developers don't just add the ability to have both. I'd buy a lot more wii games if I knew that I could have more than one option for control.

Besides that I'm very excited for this. Prime was my second favorite gamecube game and unfortunately by the time Echoes came out I had just gotten an xbox and was caught up with it. I can't decide if I could conveniently preorder at amazon or go with gamestop and get the shirt.

Yeah, I missed Prime 2. I can't stand Prime 3's controls though, so I'd only want this if at least the first two use normal controls still (and ideally I'd love Prime to get remade to use the classic pad too).

And...hey! I just saw you live around the same area as me! For all I know we could be posting from the same building right now :whistle2:D

[quote name='Treythalomew']I'm wondering the same thing. I welcome the wii controls to Prime 1 & 2 but I don't understand why more developers don't just add the ability to have both. I'd buy a lot more wii games if I knew that I could have more than one option for control.

Besides that I'm very excited for this. Prime was my second favorite gamecube game and unfortunately by the time Echoes came out I had just gotten an xbox and was caught up with it. I can't decide if I could conveniently preorder at amazon or go with gamestop and get the shirt.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo doesn't want to support both because they want to continue to differentiate the Wii from the GameCube and 'normal' controller systems.

[quote name='opportunity777']Nintendo doesn't want to support both because they want to continue to differentiate the Wii from the GameCube and 'normal' controller systems.[/QUOTE]
I don't see how this is true if Mario Kart Wii and SSB Brawl, both first party Nintendo games, support the classic controller and GC controller, along with the usual Wiimote/Nunchuck combo.

[quote name='eddie291']I don't see how this is true if Mario Kart Wii and SSB Brawl, both first party Nintendo games, support the classic controller and GC controller, along with the usual Wiimote/Nunchuck combo.[/QUOTE]

Those are Wii-only titles. The 'New Play Control' games are following a different path. Mario Tennis and Pikmin have no GCN controller support at all. DK:JB doesn't even support the bongos, which I find utterly ridiculous.

I seriously doubt these Metroid Prime 'remakes' will have regular controller support. I would rather have the option to have both.

I just don't get that thinking. They think they'd sell LESS if it supports more controller options? They don't even have to advertise it in their ads. They ARE losing sales by not supporting the classic controller more (which ironically I think is a very strong controller).

[quote name='Wolfpup']I just don't get that thinking. They think they'd sell LESS if it supports more controller options? They don't even have to advertise it in their ads. They ARE losing sales by not supporting the classic controller more (which ironically I think is a very strong controller).[/QUOTE]

I don't think the concept is about selling less. Nintendo wants to create the perception of buying something different for a second time.

Honestly, a lot of titles of Wii titles don't even need a Wiimote and would run just fine with the old GCN controller.

Mario Kart Wii and SSB:B included GCN controller support to avoid obvious controversy. With only a few exceptions, a strong majority of games force motion or Wiimote controls on to players. Wario Shake It! could have supported classic / GCN controllers, but did nothing for either. While holding the Wiimote sideways and having to shake the controller, I do not become more immersed in the game. Sonic Zero Gravity's lack of a 'normal' setup option comes to mind as well.

Nintendo's entire strategy is built upon motion 'control' gimmicks (funny thing -- most games don't control well). To the end, they are going to continue down that path.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just too bad, and I really don't get it :( I mean seriously, I'd be preordering this right this second :whistle2:/

Wolfpup, did you by any chance play Metroid Prime 3? The controls in that game were awesome..this is why I personally want this game.

[quote name='UncleBob']Anyone know any codes for ordering new from GameStop? It's a first for me...[/QUOTE]
SAVER gets you free shipping.

[quote name='the_punisher']OP Updated. GameStop has three bonuses, wow.[/QUOTE]

GameStop is pushing this title hard.

I don't see anything exclusive about the Amazon release. The GS stock photo shows a tin too.

I ordered from Amazon.

$43 with Amazon & ECA discount.
$53 (with taxes included) from Gamestop.

I can't justify $10 extra for the art book, poster, and t-shirt (size matters here, the Turok shirt was XL, to big for even me). Sounds good but I won't use any of those 3 items, so I'll save myself $10.

[quote name='opportunity777']GameStop is pushing this title hard.

I don't see anything exclusive about the Amazon release. The GS stock photo shows a tin too.[/QUOTE]Same here. I checked when Amazon updated their picture to show the tin case, and GS still had nothing about it. A day later, they were both showing the same tin case/steelbook-looking case.

Actually, 2 GS bonuses. From what I can tell, the art book is included with every copy of the game. We also can't say for sure whether or not the poster is GS-exclusive, since they usually say so if they are, like they did with the T-Shirt.

To recap:
Art book - Comes in every copy.
T-shirt - For Pre-Orders. (GS-Exclusive)
Poster - For Online (Pre) Orders (Currently only at GS)

i ordered the GS version cause of the bonuses. but if Amazon steps up with some more free swag and the pops up in my gold box with ECA bonus..................might get temtpted to cancel my GS pre order.

The artbook is the only thing giving me pause on my preorder with Amazon. If I can get confirmation that Amazon has the artbook as well, my preorder stays with them. I'd rather give money to Amazon than GameStop.

And, let's end the speculation here and now before the rest of the thread is filled up with it. Pikmin and DK:JB did not support any controls other than the Wiimote and Nunchuk. You can be 99% sure that Metroid Prime Trilogy will ONLY support Wiimote and Nunchuk.

Coincidentally, I really liked DK:JB for the Wii.

[quote name='lilboo']Wolfpup, did you by any chance play Metroid Prime 3? The controls in that game were awesome..this is why I personally want this game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Metroid Prime 3 was one of the big reasons I bought a Wii...only I hated it. I can't stand the controls and (at least as far as I could get) it didn't feel like a Metroid game to me besides that. If I could play it with the classic pad I'd give it another try though. That was one of the biggest disappointments for me in recent history 'cause other than the end guy of Prime 1, I thought that game was amazing.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Yeah, Metroid Prime 3 was one of the big reasons I bought a Wii...only I hated it. I can't stand the controls and (at least as far as I could get) it didn't feel like a Metroid game to me besides that. If I could play it with the classic pad I'd give it another try though. That was one of the biggest disappointments for me in recent history 'cause other than the end guy of Prime 1, I thought that game was amazing.[/QUOTE]

at 1st I was not a fan of the wii controls on 3.. it was the 1st game I played with wii.. but.. now I think it is FANTASTIC... I just got a wii recently and am almost finished with MP3. Damn.. some of the bosses are hard though.. but I have the hang of it now.. seriously, you do get used to the controls. Making the ball jump with the wii-mote by flinging your arm up is the only nit-pick.. sometimes there is ALOT of lag with it and it doesn't happen till 1 second later.

[quote name='Purkeynator']From the looks of it, it appears to be more of an art card rather than artbook. Definitely not something to get too excited about.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it doesn't look like a "book" really... just a bunch of cards stuck together.

FROM OP: "Did Retro itself work on the refit before leaving Nintendo, or does the Retro credit apply only to the original games?"

Uhh...Retro studios did not leave Nintendo?

Didn't a lot of the creative people leave though? Maybe that's what they were thinking?

I don't know what to make of them for sure. I think Prime 1 is a phenomenal game worth buying a system for (other than the ending), but Prime 3 is garbage...BUT then again they may have been forced into those controls, and perhaps other design decisions, which could even be why people left?

I'd really like to see what they do next.

Those are some sweet pre-order bonuses. Might actually pre-order this guy, especially since I haven't played MP2 or 3

bread's done
Back