Contra 4!!! New 2D sidescroller for DS!

[quote name='destro713']The best way to avoid the blindspot issue is to have a blindspot, so there are no wonky perspectives and teleporting bullets, but just design the levels around the screen break so that the middle area is kept mostly free from unfair "dead zones," as the AVGN called them.[/QUOTE]what I am wondering now is,

arwe the blind spots invincible???

like, can you grapple to another screen and pasa a bullet if your body and the bullet collide in the blind spot??

coz from watching the video, there seems to be a significant lag in between bullets passing from screen to screen.

and say if you can pass bullets that way, would you be able to pass thru lasers as well???

passing thru bullets that way would make this game have some new interesting gameplay options.

Is this really the f'ing poster for this game?

SOLD! Such a throwback. Great stuff!

9855-550x-contra-poster-2-dsf.jpg

[quote name='dallow']Is this really the f'ing poster for this game?

[/quote]

Yeah, that came in this month's Nintendo Power. There's an even sweeter poster for Dewy's Adventure on the reverse side with really cool art.

I always sucked at the old games, but seeing that video makes me want to go back and do some old-school grinding. I know what I'm doing after work!

[quote name='Tybee']Yeah, that came in this month's Nintendo Power. There's an even sweeter poster for Dewy's Adventure on the reverse side with really cool art.[/quote]I'm going to get it.
And there's no way any art can be sweeter than that poster.
It's pure manliness.

That poster is badass. It's so cleverly tucked away behind the girly dewy's adventure poster, just to catch you off guard.

I liked Shantae, particularly WayForward's devotion to fluid animation, so I'm down with this. That movie (okay, and the vibe of the poster) just seal the deal.

[quote name='Tybee']Yeah, that came in this month's Nintendo Power. There's an even sweeter poster for Dewy's Adventure on the reverse side with really cool art.[/QUOTE]

Ok, we got Arnold, Sly, Diesel, and Snipes. oh, I am soo getting this game.

[quote name='jer7583']That poster is badass. It's so cleverly tucked away behind the girly dewy's adventure poster, just to catch you off guard.[/quote]
Yeah, I'm, uh, sure that's what they were thinking. :roll:

[quote name='SMMM']Ok, we got Arnold, Sly, Diesel, and Snipes. oh, I am soo getting this game.[/quote]
Upholding the proud Konami tradition of shamelessly appropriating Hollywood action icons:

http://www.shamoozal.com/nerdlog/2007/04/11/konami-characters-and-their-80s-counterparts/

http://gonintendo.com/?p=27107

Aside from a history of the Contra series, Contra 4 will also include the NES versions of Contra and Super C as unlockables. Makes me glad that I didn't buy either game on Xbox Live Arcade.

Along with Castlevania X Chronicles and this game, Konami is really giving us what we want.

[quote name='Puffa469']Icing on the cake that I was already buying, but who doesn't love icing? Delicious, alien slaughtering icing...[/quote]
I don't. Not after fucking, Contra Shattered Soldier. Gnasty ass game; yeah nasty with a g!

I'm betting on this now: Unlockable robot character will be that puny dude from Hard Corps. Loved his short ass. "HA bitch, I'm shorter than where you can fire your gun. *slides and fucks up dude*"

Nice to finally see this confirmed. Now I just wish they would finally give out some info on the co-op in the game (like whether it will be online or not, and now whether or not these unlockable games will support it as well).

[quote name='dallow']Is this really the f'ing poster for this game?

[/quote]was there an image of this poster posted in the thread? i can't find it.

I've got that Contra 4 poster if anyone wants it. I was actually more interested in the Dewy's Adventue art on the reverse, but now that it turns out that game kind of sucks, I'm less inclined to keep it up in my office.

[quote name='jman619']This game really is one reason I would't sale my ds at the moment. :lol:[/quote]

A quick glance at my shelf and I see about 50 reasons I would never sell my DS.

I was never big into portables until the DS, I even aquired 90% of my GBA games since Ive had the DS. And I didnt even have the orig DS, I waited for the Lite, now I couldnt live without it.

img5724559.jpg

Friggin' awesome box art.

I am seriously in awe as to how WayForward really stepped up and, by most indications, knocked this one completely out of the park. Bravo.

Completely badass.

I seriously can't wait for this to drop. And it's hard to fathom that it's been 20 years of Contra. It seems like yesterday I was playing Contra NES.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']
img5724559.jpg

Friggin' awesome box art.

I am seriously in awe as to how WayForward really stepped up and, by most indications, knocked this one completely out of the park. Bravo.[/quote]

Yeah, it looks like they truly 'get' the essence of not only Contra, but the nostaligia that surrounds it. It looks like everything you could ask for out of an old-school Contra game.

Probably isn't a day-one purchase for me (ONLY because I'm blowing my game budget on other titles over the next couple of weeks), but it's a definite 'please anyone buy me this for Christmas!' pick-up, haha.

I beat "JLA: The Flash" not too long ago, a GBA beat-em-up by the same developers, and I was pleasantly surprised with its quality. It was very well done for what initially appeared to be a license cash-in, and it gives me hope for this game.

I still don't like that the Bozon brothers worked on it though. *shiver*

The difficultly level sounds painful, but the worst bit is not being able to save game progress at all. I know there are those for whom this idea sounds good, but for me, I can't even play a great game such as Super Mario Bros. 3 without having save states. With save states SMB3 is really fun. Without savestates it's just frustrating/infuriating (yes, heresy :) It's just too frustrating to have to start a whole world over again, let alone the entire game! Perhaps in my youth I could have done it, but not now. What I would have liked to have seen is old-school level design, but with save states or at least SRAM saving at mid points and ends of levels. The latter is old-school anyway. It would only make the game short if the game were in fact short. So save states or SRAM and more levels to make the game longer, not do-overs to make it longer.

On the site it says the 23rd,but I have heard the same some people got it from gamestop or somewhere else. A guy posted on a different forum mentioning he got it at target. I wish there was a target here all I have is walmart, and I know they don't got it :bomb:

[quote name='crunchewy']The difficultly level sounds painful, but the worst bit is not being able to save game progress at all. I know there are those for whom this idea sounds good, but for me, I can't even play a great game such as Super Mario Bros. 3 without having save states. With save states SMB3 is really fun. Without savestates it's just frustrating/infuriating (yes, heresy :) It's just too frustrating to have to start a whole world over again, let alone the entire game! Perhaps in my youth I could have done it, but not now. What I would have liked to have seen is old-school level design, but with save states or at least SRAM saving at mid points and ends of levels. The latter is old-school anyway. It would only make the game short if the game were in fact short. So save states or SRAM and more levels to make the game longer, not do-overs to make it longer.[/quote]

Every single Contra game is like that. It's what separates Deep Action Gamers from namby-pambies.

bread's done
Back