Contra 4!!! New 2D sidescroller for DS!

[quote name='crunchewy']The difficultly level sounds painful, but the worst bit is not being able to save game progress at all. I know there are those for whom this idea sounds good, but for me, I can't even play a great game such as Super Mario Bros. 3 without having save states. With save states SMB3 is really fun. Without savestates it's just frustrating/infuriating (yes, heresy :) It's just too frustrating to have to start a whole world over again, let alone the entire game! Perhaps in my youth I could have done it, but not now. What I would have liked to have seen is old-school level design, but with save states or at least SRAM saving at mid points and ends of levels. The latter is old-school anyway. It would only make the game short if the game were in fact short. So save states or SRAM and more levels to make the game longer, not do-overs to make it longer.[/quote]i gotta say, i totally disagree with everything in here. not that i don't like you as a person ;)

I just came home from Gamestop with my copy.
And I have to say....
This game, is fucking AWESOME!!!!

More indepth shit to come.

[quote name='crunchewy']The difficultly level sounds painful, but the worst bit is not being able to save game progress at all. I know there are those for whom this idea sounds good, but for me, I can't even play a great game such as Super Mario Bros. 3 without having save states. With save states SMB3 is really fun. Without savestates it's just frustrating/infuriating (yes, heresy :) It's just too frustrating to have to start a whole world over again, let alone the entire game! Perhaps in my youth I could have done it, but not now. What I would have liked to have seen is old-school level design, but with save states or at least SRAM saving at mid points and ends of levels. The latter is old-school anyway. It would only make the game short if the game were in fact short. So save states or SRAM and more levels to make the game longer, not do-overs to make it longer.[/quote]

Close your DS. :)

Or do you mean you won't be able to survive on a game without unlimited continues? hehe.

I'm actually looking forward to the toughness of this game and I think having the NES games as unlockables for completing 360-style achievements is pretty awesome.

can't WAIT to get my hands on this game.

contra is a bit before my time, but i love what i've seen from this title so far

It's been a looong time since I've played a game that reminded me about everything that was awesome in my childhood.

Highly, highly, highly reccomended.

[quote name='Shivy']It's been a looong time since I've played a game that reminded me about everything that was awesome in my childhood.

Highly, highly, highly reccomended.[/QUOTE]

Damn you...

(The Contra theme song plays in the background while pixelated men somersault through the air like muscle-bound, artillery wielding dancers ...)

/makes up mind to pick up his pre-order tomorrow.

i managed to beat it on normal today on my 5th try

unlocked contra and super contra

they're the NES versions, not the arcade which kinda stinks

challenges are pretty fun tho, there's 40 of them

[quote name='rsigley']anyoone know how to avoid the tail of the second boss? gets me everytime

when he comes at you from the side[/quote]

Just jump at the right time man.
If the tail comes at you from the left go towards the right part of the screen and jump when it strikes at you.

Man I can only get to the third level so far, playing on normal.
This game is hard, but a lot of fun.

[quote name='rsigley']i managed to beat it on normal today on my 5th try

unlocked contra and super contra

they're the NES versions, not the arcade which kinda stinks

challenges are pretty fun tho, there's 40 of them[/quote]

are you fucking serious?
You beat it, all 9 lvls, on normal after your 5th try!?
You must be like a contra god or something.

Picked this up today for $5, using my $25 gc from Mario Galaxy. But between Galaxy, and CoD4 online, Im not sure when Im gonna find time for this. I should leave my DS in the bathroom. ;)

[quote name='T3kN']are you fucking serious?
You beat it, all 9 lvls, on normal after your 5th try!?
You must be like a contra god or something.[/QUOTE]

4 and 7 are the only really hard ones IMO

1, 3, 5, 6 are really easy

2, 8, 9 are alright

i did 22 of the challenges so far

unlocked: contra, super contra, 2 extra characters, and an interview with the creator

some of the challenges are such a pain

i had off today so i played for a full DS charge worth, first time I did that since new mario bros came out

It's really fun, but very tough.

I'm not sure if i'll be able to beat it without playing a ton, but i'm definately looking forward to playing contra and super contra (If i'm able to unlock them, shiiit.)

I played this game before... kicked my ass then too.

And, still, this game does not interest me at all. I'll always be a Metal Slug man.

If you can unlock Contra, that definitely makes this game worth it. I'll be picking this up at some point. Too many games to buy!! Not that I'm complaining... :D

I would already have it if I could find it in a store. I would order online,but no credit card. I heard it was a great game. I hope ebay gets some more copies up for sale or on here or someone decides to sale it :D

This game blows. It's not hard because of clever level design or enemy patterns, it's hard because of cheap shots and your character being too big. Having to concentrate on two screens at once is another annoyance. I'm not going to get into how many times I've died from something being in the huge blindspot between the screens.
The first 3 levels I've played are just remakes of Contra 1 levels.
This game was supposed to be a return to the run 'n gun action of the first 3 games, but it's impossible (I've tried it) to simply run through a stage as you could with the earlier titles. You end up spending just as much time creeping ahead as you would if you were fighting minibosses throughout the levels. I'll take Hard Corps any day over this stinker.

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']This game blows. It's not hard because of clever level design or enemy patterns, it's hard because of cheap shots and your character being too big. Having to concentrate on two screens at once is another annoyance. I'm not going to get into how many times I've died from something being in the huge blindspot between the screens.
This game was supposed to be a return to the run 'n gun action of the first 3 games, but it's impossible (I've tried it) to simply run through a stage as you could with the earlier titles. You end up spending just as much time creeping ahead as you would if you were fighting minibosses throughout the levels. I'll take Hard Corps any day over this stinker.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear some serious input!!!

Sadly I never beat SNES contra on my own; I think I made it very very far but couldn't ever seal the deal. Same deal for the only decent one for ps2; I actually have hardcorps but never got around to playing it seriously :(

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']This game blows. It's not hard because of clever level design or enemy patterns, it's hard because of cheap shots and your character being too big. Having to concentrate on two screens at once is another annoyance. I'm not going to get into how many times I've died from something being in the huge blindspot between the screens.
This game was supposed to be a return to the run 'n gun action of the first 3 games, but it's impossible (I've tried it) to simply run through a stage as you could with the earlier titles. You end up spending just as much time creeping ahead as you would if you were fighting minibosses throughout the levels. I'll take Hard Corps any day over this stinker.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who wasn't too fond of this installment. The two screens really are a pain.

And I love how all the crappy games in the series aren't considered canon in the museum archive.

What's considered canon?

I'm guessing...

Contra
Super C
Contra III - Alien Wars
Contra Hard Corps
Contra Shattered Soldier

[quote name='Halo05']What's considered canon?

I'm guessing...

Contra
Super C
Contra III - Alien Wars
Contra Hard Corps
Contra Shattered Soldier[/QUOTE]

contra has a story?

Sorry that you feel that way. I like it because it ramped up the difficulty a bit. I'll admit, concentrating on 2 screens is a bit hard in a game like Contra is a bit hard, but it makes for extra challenge.

[quote name='Ace Harding: Private Eye']I'm tired of people bashing Neo Contra. It's a fucking awesome game. Way better than anything WayForward's ever done.[/quote]

Crack kills man. Really.

I don't even own Contra 4 and I've only played a little of Shante.

But gat damned does Neo Contra suck. I played a demo. One friggin level after having played Shattered-your-balls-Soldier and I was flabbergasted. Neo Contra is terrible. Bad controls and stupid design = a not so great contra.

But I know you were kidding so it's all good.

I've never seen a contra where the spread gun is so damn critical. You have to spray that upper screen, constantly.

The intro to the second boss is awesome. The music is great too. Sounds like there is a lot of unlockable stuff... I heard - though I not dare attempt yet - that if you play the waterfall level on hard that you get a remixed version of the first level of Contra(NES)'s music... anyone confirm?

[quote name='FurryCurry']Crack kills man. Really.

I don't even own Contra 4 and I've only played a little of Shante.

But gat damned does Neo Contra suck. I played a demo. One friggin level after having played Shattered-your-balls-Soldier and I was flabbergasted. Neo Contra is terrible. Bad controls and stupid design = a not so great contra.

But I know you were kidding so it's all good.[/quote]
No joke, furball. I suggest you take a shot of testosterone, wipe that smirk off your face, and play it again. Neo Contra has fine control for a top-down shooter and has Bill Rizer shot out of a Volcano. It also has a bad-ass last boss that pays tribute to Rocket Knight Adventures.
It may not be as good as Shattered Soldier, but it has all the disgustingness a Contra fan desires. It also has the most intense situations Bill Rizer has ever faced. Coupled with great voice acting and killer music, this game is like a hearty lumberjack stew. You can even unlock the Gradius lasers!
If you can get by the top-down view, I think you should give it another chance.

Loving this game so far, it's really hard, frustratingly difficult at times, but I love the style of this game. It's a real homage to the original Contra game and being able to unlock Contra and Super C really put it over the top IMO. Well worth the $30 if you're a fan of the Contra series.

Used that $10 off BB coupon today to get this for $20. I've been playing a lot of the original Contra and little Alien Wars, and as much as they're kicking my ass it makes me feel like I'm a kid again. I probably won't get a chance to play it for a day or two, but for some reason I'm really looking forward to this game kicking my ass.

[quote name='BigBen']Loving this game so far, it's really hard, frustratingly difficult at times, but I love the style of this game. It's a real homage to the original Contra game and being able to unlock Contra and Super C really put it over the top IMO. Well worth the $30 if you're a fan of the Contra series.[/quote]

Update! I'm in agreement with you, Ben, I played a lot yesterday and beat the 1st two stages, and I'm really loving it. It feels incredibly old-school, and the sense of accomplishment you get is wonderful. Hell, I finished stage 2 and felt like I'd beaten the game!

I don't know if I would have paid $30, but for the $20 I paid I have no regrets.

BTW to anyone who's skeptical, you should know that the continue system actually uses 1/2 way points. They aren't evident to you until you die and continue back at one, but it makes the game a little more forgiving when trying to complete a stage.

I'm actually surprised they did this, but I'm not complaining :)

This game is not very hard...

play thru Challenge mode, then the regular game will be a breeze.

You can unlock Challenge mode by beating the game on easy.

It's definitely a hard game, but it never really feels unfair. I haven't played too much yet, but my first attempt at easy got me to level 4, and my second attempt got me to level 7. I'd rather not talk about my attempts at normal(I'll worry about that later)...

But the point is, the game is definitely easier once you learn where the enemies are and get good at dodging.

[quote name='pygmy carnotaur']

But the point is, the game is definitely easier once you learn where the enemies are and get good at dodging.[/QUOTE]

You're right, I can now get to level 2 within one continue on normal due to memorizing when and where enemies appear.

So, a week into it and I'm really addicted to this game.

I reccomend anyone who's having trouble to play through on Easy just to unlock Challenge mode. I've done about 25 of them (out of 40) and they really do improve your Contra skillz. Does anyone else think it's wonderful and hilarious that the hostages explode, like everything else?

I'm not looking forward to trying to go through the main game again, though. Level 4 destroys me every time.

[quote name='ddp72984']1. What BB coupon takes 10 off a DS game (I saw the PS3 one...)

2. How can you get it at CC for 20? Thanks[/quote]

The $10 BB coupon that was mentioned earlier has expired, unless there's a new one i'm not aware of. No idea on CC, though.

After getting this for Christmas and playing like crazy the last week, I need to add another exclamation point to the title. Only beat it on Easy, but the challenges are crazy addicting.

[quote name='botticus']After getting this for Christmas and playing like crazy the last week, I need to add another exclamation point to the title. Only beat it on Easy, but the challenges are crazy addicting.[/quote]

Haha, not bad. I picked it up around Thanksgiving. Just yesterday I beat it on Normal. I think the difficulty is a good level. It's hard, but not impossibly so. Now for the challenges and Hard mode!

Bumpin this to ask a puzzling question:

In stage 7, has anyone run into a problem trying to kill the mid-boss? (That spider looking thing that shoots bullets, flames on the side of the walls, and a laser from its eye).

I was shooting at em', then all of a sudden the weak point stops flashing, and I'm no longer able to do any damage so now I'm stuck with a boss that I can't kill.

Anyone ever run into a problem like that?

If it matters I was using the upgraded Homing Missles.

bread's done
Back