Copying Is Not Theft!

[quote name='eldergamer']I've bought maybe one new book at a bookstore in 10 years. I've probably spent $100s at used book stores in that time frame. I also check stuff out from the library frequently. Am I stealing?[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes you are.

bookstore.png

Yeah, the steam pricing structure seems to work well. I've bought 1 physical PC game in the last few years because it was cheaper on sale, the rest were all from steam.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Yes, yes you are.

bookstore.png
[/QUOTE]
I once went into this local bookstore that had a sign on the wall stating "No reading allowed". A sign, stating no reading allowed, I almost died laughing.

[quote name='camoor']Easy - the fair use ends whereever the group with the most lawyers and lobbyists says it ends.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. End of thread. I knew what the OP video was about before I clicked this thread, as I stumbled onto it a several weeks ago (thought about posting it too, but knew that a thread similar to this one would occur with a lot of bickering). Simply put, the RIAA/MPAA/etc. should be disbanded.

I like to listen to a lot of foreign music, but I can't obtain said music at most of the stores I go to unless I were to travel abroad/internationally. How am I supposed to get that piece of music? To import costs 5-6 times what it should cost.

Anyway, you get the gist of the story....it's the same one that's been told endless times online since Metallica fucked up/ruined the internet and Napster. Nonetheless, this goes without saying that I mostly take cds from my libraries anyhow, since they have the types of Jazz/Classical/etc. that I like to listen to, and who's to know if I maybe rip a song or two.;)

To add to this, you could probably live off the free music that's available on the net for years without touching a RIAA artist, or even downloading for that matter. Just listen to last.fm/pandora/free artists/grooveshark/archive.org/etc. out there. Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor has put out a free album on the internet, so did Saul Williams, so did countless others who are just as talented and provide great music.

I just found out that several of my favorite local New Orleans musicians post up their concerts for free on archive.org and of course this is the way you should listen to their music (just go to a Soul Rebels Brass Band/Rebirth Brass Band concert on any given evening and see if you're not on fire from the music and stay until 4-5 in the morning)

http://www.archive.org/details/RebirthBrassBand

I'm not usually into electronic, but my friend got me into them when they were in New Orleans:

http://www.archive.org/details/SoundTribeSector9

[quote name='Clak']I once went into this local bookstore that had a sign on the wall stating "No reading allowed". A sign, stating no reading allowed, I almost died laughing.[/QUOTE]

You should have taken a picture and posted it on the internets. It would have been a great laugh.

[quote name='eldergamer']I've bought maybe one new book at a bookstore in 10 years. I've probably spent $100s at used book stores in that time frame. I also check stuff out from the library frequently. Am I stealing?[/QUOTE]No. but you're being obvious.

to be analogous itwould be like if you took the book to a the photo copier at the front of the store. Copied it and put the book back leaving with your photocopy. now again we ask.. is THAT stealing?

[quote name='Wolfkin']No. but you're being obvious.

to be analogous itwould be like if you took the book to a the photo copier at the front of the store. Copied it and put the book back leaving with your photocopy. now again we ask.. is THAT stealing?[/QUOTE]

:lol: No, that's called doing research.:D

but in all seriousness, I've found a book at B&N that all I need was a page or two of information for a paper I was writing, so I wrote it out. No harm no foul.

[quote name='eldergamer']I've bought maybe one new book at a bookstore in 10 years. I've probably spent $100s at used book stores in that time frame. I also check stuff out from the library frequently. Am I stealing?[/QUOTE]

No, as those are fair use.

Fair use laws definitely need expanded for digital content for sure. Those of us buying things legitimately shouldn't have to suffer through DRM that keeps ups from selling the content (without keeping a copy) like we can physical products, loaning to friends etc.

Just imagine if we could do with food what we do with music and movies.

If I could make a copy of your Pizza, and have Pizza myself, but you would also still have your Pizza...

We'd have enough food to feed the entire world, but we'd probably get sued by Dominos and Papa Johns.

[quote name='Puffa469']Just imagine if we could do with food what we do with music and movies.

If I could make a copy of your Pizza, and have Pizza myself, but you would also still have your Pizza...

We'd have enough food to feed the entire world, but we'd probably get sued by Dominos and Papa Johns.[/QUOTE]

If you want to copy Dominos and Papa Johns, you deserve whatever you have coming to you.

[quote name='Puffa469']Just imagine if we could do with food what we do with music and movies.

We'd have enough food to feed the entire world, but we'd probably get sued by Dominos and Papa Johns.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']If you want to copy Dominos and Papa Johns, you deserve whatever you have coming to you.[/QUOTE]

It worked for Leeloo Dallas.

Just reading an article about how many public libraries are being privatized. It should be said that it's still free to checkout a book, for now.

Still, it's not like where you can't see where this is all going. If this was a horror movie, this is the scene where the terrified girl thinks it's a terrific idea to hide in the closet.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']If you want to copy Dominos and Papa Johns, you deserve whatever you have coming to you.[/QUOTE]

Amen. Those places claim to sell pizza but I haven't seen any evidence of it.

[quote name='Wolfkin']dude I love Papa John's ya'll are crazy.[/QUOTE]

That's fine but just recognize that you aren't actually eating pizza.

It's just a matter of whether you're a pizza snob or not I guess.

I'm not very picky about pizza, so I'm fine with Papa Johns. Though I prefer some local joints--but that's more due to variety of toppings rather than anything else.

I don't' really care for the floppy NY style pizza nor the Chicago deep dish.

[quote name='Wolfkin']No. but you're being obvious.

to be analogous itwould be like if you took the book to a the photo copier at the front of the store. Copied it and put the book back leaving with your photocopy. now again we ask.. is THAT stealing?[/QUOTE]

But I'm not giving any money to the authors who created the work or the publishers who produced the work. They're putting out the books, I'm enjoying them and they're getting nothing in return.

[quote name='eldergamer']But I'm not giving any money to the authors who created the work or the publishers who produced the work. They're putting out the books, I'm enjoying them and they're getting nothing in return.[/QUOTE]

It's covered by fair use laws--though photocopying a whole book is technically still not allowed. But ok to copy parts in the library for research work etc.

Again, fair use laws need updated/expanded for digital content.

It's not ok to download a file from a pirate site. But we also should be able to put a digital file we bought on all our devices with no hassles, sell it (without keeping a copy), loan it out to friends (while not having access to our copy etc.).

So fair use laws need modernized, DRM needs to evolve to allow easy license transfers for selling and loaning e-books etc.

[quote name='eldergamer']I've bought maybe one new book at a bookstore in 10 years. I've probably spent $100s at used book stores in that time frame. I also check stuff out from the library frequently. Am I stealing?[/QUOTE][quote name='Wolfkin']No. but you're being obvious.

to be analogous itwould be like if you took the book to a the photo copier at the front of the store. Copied it and put the book back leaving with your photocopy. now again we ask.. is THAT stealing?[/QUOTE][quote name='eldergamer']But I'm not giving any money to the authors who created the work or the publishers who produced the work. They're putting out the books, I'm enjoying them and they're getting nothing in return.[/QUOTE](not entirely sure which scenario you're talking about)

but yes.. which is why if you photocopy an entire book and walk out of the store... ethically you're 'stealing' which is the same thing as downloading an mp3 album off the P2P networks. You've made a copy without paying for it.. which is what my argument is.[quote name='dmaul1114'] It's covered by fair use laws--though photocopying a whole book is technically still not allowed. But ok to copy parts in the library for research work etc.

Again, fair use laws need updated/expanded for digital content.[/quote] Ugh. hit the back button so I'll be brief. Quite right, the main reason noone cared about copies in the past was because copies were degraded. VHS, cassettes, even photocopies degrade. but with digital mediums now anyone can make a bit perfect reproduction at virtually no cost. The incentive for buying stuff was that you were promised it was the best quality available and it was done on proper materials that would last. Now... now that isn't an issue. Sure CAMs of movies are out there but you can get a direct copy from a DVD that's just as good as the real thing.[quote name='dmaul1114'] we also should be able to put a digital file we bought on all our devices with no hassles, sell it (without keeping a copy), loan it out to friends (while not having access to our copy etc.). So fair use laws need modernized, DRM needs to evolve to allow easy license transfers for selling and loaning e-books etc.[/QUOTE]now this is where the content makers and the geeks butt heads. because why upgrade to a new format and not take advantage of what that format is capable off. That's like moving from VHS to DVD and not putting in chapters, or a menu, or special features. It makes sense for a library to have 10 copies of twilight out at a time but with a digital version? There's no storage space, there's no overhead, there's no reason why I should have to wait for a digital book to be digitally checked in. That's just emulating books in digital form. That's like emulating the line at the DMV when you do your license renewal online. That'd be like if in Gran Turismo they put in the travel time and airport luggage pick up in the game in real time, or taking your website and trying to make it MORE like a magazine.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='dmaul1114'] It's covered by fair use laws--though photocopying a whole book is technically still not allowed. But ok to copy parts in the library for research work etc.

Again, fair use laws need updated/expanded for digital content.[/quote] Ugh. hit the back button so I'll be brief. Quite right, the main reason noone cared about copies in the past was because copies were degraded. VHS, cassettes, even photocopies degrade. but with digital mediums now anyone can make a bit perfect reproduction at virtually no cost. [quote name='dmaul1114'] we also should be able to put a digital file we bought on all our devices with no hassles, sell it (without keeping a copy), loan it out to friends (while not having access to our copy etc.). So fair use laws need modernized, DRM needs to evolve to allow easy license transfers for selling and loaning e-books etc.[/QUOTE]now this is where the content makers and the geeks butt heads. because why upgrade to a new format and not take advantage of what that format is capable off. That's like moving from VHS to DVD and not putting in chapters, or a menu, or special features. It makes sense for a library to have 10 copies of twilight out at a time but with a digital version? There's no storage space, there's no overhead, there's no reason why I should have to wait for a digital book to be digitally checked in. That's just emulating books in digital form. That's like emulating the line at the DMV when you do your license renewal online. That'd be like if in Gran Turismo they put in the travel time and airport luggage pick up in the game in real time.

bread's done
Back