Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series - Amazon Exclusive Edition (Blu-ray/DVD Combo) - $70 ($30 off)

Nice only watched this show for the first time earlier this year after netflix offer me a free dvd trial after only like 4 fucking years since I subscribe to their dvd service.  If only this came with the soundtrack it'll be a no brainer for me. I don't care for artbooks although I prefer blu/dvds combo so if this is the only way I get it.

• Number of Blu-ray Discs: 4
  • Number of DVDs: 5
Awesome. I expected 3 blu rays but more the better for quality.

Cowboy Bebop
Complete Series
FUNimation Exclusive MSRP $89.98

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Exclusive tri-fold packaging in the style of a vintage record cover
  • Display easel
  • Four exclusive art cards
  • One additional exclusive art card with foil-stamp autograph from series director Shinichiro Watanabe
Cowboy Bebop
Complete Series
Amazon Exclusive MSRP $99.99

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Exclusive Limited Edition clamshell art box
  • 140 page black and white art book featuring concept sketches and designs that highlight Cowboy Bebop‘s origins
  • 48 page vibrant, full-color art book
Amazon edition looks better in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh.

Do I keep my Amazon pre order or go with the funimation edition which is currently in sale for $65? ($5 cheaper)

Anyone know how pre orders work with funimation? Would like to see pictures to compare the two editions but want to lock in the lower price before it jumps.

I imagine that if you pay with a credit card it won't charge until shipping. But payment with PayPal usually charges immediately when placing your order.

I think Funi charges the entire amount up front, I may go with the version, since seems like I missed out on the Amazon price, back up to $90  now. I think I'd prefer the Amazon version.

Guess i'm gonna go with the funimation edition since winter is getting the amazon. However I must admit that the amazon version seems much more attractive.

More than likely the 4th Blu-ray and 5th DVD discs are purely extras like interviews, featurettes, and the like. The Standard Edition will likely be 3 Blu-rays and 4 DVDs like FUNimation's other sets but with minimal extras.

Damn me. I wish I would have noticed this sooner. I still pre-ordered at 90 from Amazon, but kicking myself for not getting in at the 70 dollar price point.

Damn me. I wish I would have noticed this sooner. I still pre-ordered at 90 from Amazon, but kicking myself for not getting in at the 70 dollar price point.
At least you secured a copy in case they run out. Anime and their damn special/limited editions... it should be back to $70 soon enough.

If I bought the Amazon edition while my credit card was on file, but later on deleted the credit card from my payment methods, should I be okay or do I need to add it back?

At least you secured a copy in case they run out. Anime and their damn special/limited editions... it should be back to $70 soon enough.
Yeah, I figure the price will go back down, especially if FUNi's version is currently going for $65 and may likely hold at that price for a few weeks. What intrigues me the most about the Amazon edition is the fact that it will come housed in an artbox. I couldn't care less for the artbooks. Now if it came with an Ein plush, that'd be a nice extra. O:) I'm still a little hesitant, though, because of the soundtrack issue. Hopefully a preview of both editions will be given to us to see what things physically look like. If anything, I'll just pick up the standard edition.

Are you sure it didn't drop in price on your order? They do have a Pre-Order Price Guarantee in place. Ask an associate on the site to verify if you'll get the reduced price.

Are you sure it didn't drop in price on your order? They do have a Pre-Order Price Guarantee in place. Ask an associate on the site to verify if you'll get the reduced price.
Pre-order Price Guarantee is for if you pre-order at X and it raises to Y, you'll still only pay X, or if you pre-order at Y and it drops to X, you'll pay X.

Pre-order Price Guarantee is for if you pre-order at X and it raises to Y, you'll still only pay X, or if you pre-order at Y and it drops to X, you'll pay X.
But if he preordered it at one price, and the price drops, he is set for the lowest recorded price. Amazon regularly does this (if you buy an item to preorder at $50 and it drops to $30 when it releases, they charge you the $30; if it goes up in price, you lock in at the price you preordered at). Ergo, if he did for $90 and it's at $70 currently, he should be set for the $70 figure.

But if he preordered it at one price, and the price drops, he is set for the lowest recorded price. Amazon regularly does this (if you buy an item to preorder at $50 and it drops to $30 when it releases, they charge you the $30; if it goes up in price, you lock in at the price you preordered at). Ergo, if he did for $90 and it's at $70 currently, he should be set for the $70 figure.
It was at $70 but when he preordered it, it had already went back up to $90. So unless it drops back down he will be stuck with the $90 price point. He was lamenting that he didn't notice the thread until it had already jumped in price.

I am wondering if they are just going to release a straight DVD transfer on Blu? Or are they actually going to take the time and effort to properly restore this masterpiece to its full glory.

I am wondering if they are just going to release a straight DVD transfer on Blu? Or are they actually going to take the time and effort to properly restore this masterpiece to its full glory.
Expect the same or better than this but accept no less!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qig4KOK2R2g

If I bought the Amazon edition while my credit card was on file, but later on deleted the credit card from my payment methods, should I be okay or do I need to add it back?
since they don't charge anything in till it released, just leave it alone for now an change the info closer too release if needed. i never tried ordering something an canceling the payment method, am sure they require some form of payment on file to keep the order.

If the payment doesn't go through, Amazon will send you an email and give you ~2 days to authorize a different payment method.

Bebop was done on film, so there's no need to do an upscale.

That is the assumption, though it won't actually be confirmed until somebody gets the set. However, what version they get will depend entirely on whatever the Japanese licensor gives them.

When Cowboy Bebop Remix was released, there were several short cuts and replaced musical cues. It's nothing that would be missed unless you're the most hardcore of Bebop fans.

The assumption is that the bluray is using the remix cut as opposed to the original.

There's some scene edits, like 14 seconds of a pan of Mars cut out. Some music changes (Blue's chorus no longer plays on the ending). Other stuff like that.

Edit: These are what I heard about, not what I've compared myself.

So what is the general consensus on this now, which version is better to get?

For the record I locked my price of $70 for the Amazon one in when it first popped up, but now I'm questioning it.

Hell, I might even cancel it and wait for the usual price drop eventually.

Me too.

I'm on the fence about getting either of the limited editions myself too. Just cause I'm a huge fan of the characters and music, not necessarily the art. The Amazon extras are really only art based.

The standard blu-ray set is also now available for pre-order ($42 at this time).

I'll probably end up canceling my Amazon exclusive unless it reaches sub $70 again.

At this point, since Funimation's still got their fancy edition for $65 still, and it seems to be a better collector's edition dealio with a more limited print run (2,500!?), it's a more worthwhile investment. If the Amazon exclusive one was cheaper or still same price, then it'd be worth going for. But I think having the Funi-xclusive version will look nicer on a shelf.

2,000 made for the Funimation Edition.

10,000 made for the Amazon Edition.

Tough decision. Amazon version will probably sell out faster because it's Amazon and everyone shops there but the Funimation will cost more in the future probably.  Hmmmmm the case for that edition is just cardboard though. I sill stick with the Amazon exclusive since I love the cover and prefer the case but man the artbook being paperback is a bit disappointing.

2,000 made for the Funimation Edition.

10,000 made for the Amazon Edition.

Tough decision. Amazon version will probably sell out faster because it's Amazon and everyone shops there but the Funimation will cost more in the future probably. Hmmmmm the case for that edition is just cardboard though. I sill stick with the Amazon exclusive since I love the cover and prefer the case but man the artbook being paperback is a bit disappointing.
It's Blu/DVD combo. While the DVDs may feel it after a while, Blu's tend to have a bit more resistance.

How did I implied otherwise? Case is case but I don't want it to looked worn out after a year because it is a collector's item. I know the disc themselves will be alright.
You didn't. But I myself owned said cardboard copouts some companies have been pursuing of late, in both the Blu and DVD variants. I may get it for me if I can find a place for it (the Amazon version I would have gotten if it were still same price and just as limited).

bread's done
Back