Custom GamerCards - New Site Opens Up: GCDesigner

[quote name='PyroGamer']Why didn't they just sell some advertising on the gamercards? Certainly someone would pay more than enough to cover their bandwidth costs. I mean, these livecards are all over the place.[/quote]

Maybe they didn't want to become sell outs?

Or they realize that will only work for a while since people will remove their cards from their signatures?

[quote name='help1']Or they realize that will only work for a while since people will remove their cards from their signatures?[/QUOTE]
1. Most wouldn't.
2. BINGO! This means less bandwidth, which means they'd be able to afford to keep running.

I just noticed it on my sig and while this really isn't that big of a deal, it still sucks to seem them go. They should have contacted MS or someone else and sold what they developed to MS directly. I'm sure MS would have ponied up a bit for it or perhaps they could have stuck in some advertisements here and there.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I just noticed it on my sig and while this really isn't that big of a deal, it still sucks to seem them go. They should have contacted MS or someone else and sold what they developed to MS directly. I'm sure MS would have ponied up a bit for it or perhaps they could have stuck in some advertisements here and there.[/QUOTE]
They could have also asked for donations (paypal or bandwidth). I not saying I know they didn't try, but it seems that way.

[quote name='PyroGamer']They could have also asked for donations (paypal or bandwidth). I not saying I know they didn't try, but it seems that way.[/quote]

Agreed. I mean until I saw that it wasn't working in my sig I hadn't known that they were having money issues or bandwith issues. This is the first time to my knowledge thatthey were having any problems. Still, I think they're kind of being a bit of schmucks since I'm sure MS would have thrown a bone their way since they've been buying up a lot of properties as of late and this has been a great feature to push their Live platform.

I'm totally bummed about this... I've been doing custom livecard.net sigs for over a year, and have made custom ones for all of my clan mates based on the same template. Too bad that Lucid, couldn't see the code or give it away to a site that does have the bandwidth... IGN, gametrailers, teamxbox, hq-360 or someone... ARGHHHH!!!!

I've put in a lot of hours designing tags for/from this site... :(

Hopefully they can give away the code and the tech will reappear elsewhere. Anyone know of another site that allows for custom artwork like livecard.net did? MGC just doesn't cut it... not the same. I like the total customization that Livecard.net had.

This is like COD4 being cancelled.

I would think LinkinPrime would be just as bummed as me.

[quote name='OS Perry']I'm totally bummed about this... I've been doing custom livecard.net sigs for over a year, and have made custom ones for all of my clan mates based on the same template. Too bad that Lucid, couldn't see the code or give it away to a site that does have the bandwidth... IGN, gametrailers, teamxbox, hq-360 or someone... ARGHHHH!!!!

I've put in a lot of hours designing tags for/from this site... :(

Hopefully they can give away the code and the tech will reappear elsewhere. Anyone know of another site that allows for custom artwork like livecard.net did? MGC just doesn't cut it... not the same. I like the total customization that Livecard.net had.

This is like COD4 being cancelled.

I would think LinkinPrime would be just as bummed as me.
[/quote]

Oh I am...I put a lot of work into this, but in the end Lucid was running the site and maybe it just wasn't worth it for him after all. I still have my templates saved on my HDD maybe I'll just use them like the ones for the Wii and I'll update my own once in a while...:cry:

yeah, its really a shame the technology can't live on. I wish he would up and sell/give the tech/code/knowhow to someone with the wallet and bandwith... like I stated above, a 1up, IGN, Teamxbox, gamespot, or someone, even put a little area for advertising. I would think this could live on... as far as I know there are no alternatives... I loved the designer and even got good at the custom coding.

Heck even give the code to the MGC guys... [shudder].

I was even thinking if there couldn't be a way for people to still use the site, but use their own home PC, to act as a server host, for only the designs they come up with. So instead of one server/system doing all the work (bandwidth) every person who wanted to use the service (livecard.net) would be responsible for their individual designs, and hosting them. But I'm just a designer and not a tech person...

I was wondering what happened to livecard well it was fun while it lasted now I have to revert back to my old crappy card.

It really is a shame MS doesn't just open up the damn xml stream to those who aren't "community sites." I'm surprised the Livecard guys don't just make their code opensource.

I sent LucidReality a msg on xbox live, and asked if he could sell/give away the tech/knowhow/code to an Xbox community site, that had the bandwidth... say teamxbox, IGN, gamersyde, 1up, etc.

I'll check back in, if I hear back.

Also anyone know of a decent alternative? MyGamercard is the best that I can think of, but doesn't really allow "custom" gamercards. There has to be a solution.

They could have also easily just left up the tools for people to make their own gamercards, and then forced them to host it on their own servers, instead of hosting pics directly on all these huge forums.

Seriously, IMO they just don't give a damn anymore. Too bad.

from livecard.net

Update:
Thanks for the many messages of support via XBL and email. Please do not be offended if you do not get a reply, we will read them all but LucidReality probably won't recieve any emails (skrew-up I may not have time to fix) and The 3xodus has 1500+ emails to get through thus far.

Also thanks for the offers of hosting, like we say we will read them all but please don't offended if we don't reply.

So I guess don't count livecard.net out just yet...

I sent him a message through XBL yesterday and he pretty much said the same thing, that they have been contacted by many people and they are considering some options so we might see Livecard.net in some form sooner or later.

The problem is no other site can develop anything like it apart from ones which are in the development program and have access to the xml feed, out of the 50 people that are part of it i think only 10 have active sites and are using the data, most just applyed for the sake of it. I have a gamercard generator at http://www.xbox-corner.com/gamercard.php which i am improving all the time, if anyone has the PSD's or templates they made for cards for use on livecard then i might be able to put some to good use :) if so please pm me or email them to me at [email protected]

[quote name='cycloneuk']The problem is no other site can develop anything like it apart from ones which are in the development program and have access to the xml feed, out of the 50 people that are part of it i think only 10 have active sites and are using the data, most just applyed for the sake of it. I have a gamercard generator at http://www.xbox-corner.com/gamercard.php which i am improving all the time, if anyone has the PSD's or templates they made for cards for use on livecard then i might be able to put some to good use :) if so please pm me or email them to me at [email protected][/QUOTE]

Linkin made a ton , hook up with him .

[quote name='cycloneuk']The problem is no other site can develop anything like it apart from ones which are in the development program and have access to the xml feed, out of the 50 people that are part of it i think only 10 have active sites and are using the data, most just applyed for the sake of it. I have a gamercard generator at http://www.xbox-corner.com/gamercard.php which i am improving all the time, if anyone has the PSD's or templates they made for cards for use on livecard then i might be able to put some to good use :) if so please pm me or email them to me at [email protected][/quote]

Any plans for users to make their own usercards like Livecard.net allowed?

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Any plans for users to make their own usercards like Livecard.net allowed?[/quote]

If/when i can get into the xbox development program i will be able to do a lot more, up untill then the features i can add are very limited but hopefully ms will let me in or open the xml feed for all to use.

[quote name='cycloneuk']If/when i can get into the xbox development program i will be able to do a lot more, up untill then the features i can add are very limited but hopefully ms will let me in or open the xml feed for all to use.[/quote]

Any more word on this. I'm really missing livecard.net. It doesn't seem like it will be rising from the ashes.

I think there is really a vacuum to be filled here.

Its going to take a bit to get used to it but it will definately work...like what I see so far. I tried to re-make a few but due to gamerpic/gamertile sizing issues I could only make this one at the moment...need to see a list of all fonts as well so I can streamline it.

[quote name='daphatty']Why don't you try MyGamerCard.net?[/quote]
They don't have a public gamercard designer...Livecard.net and the new GCDesigner.net allow users to upload their own images, choose location of gamerpic, games last played tiles, gamertag, zone, score...etc.

Its totally customizable.

Its pretty good...I would go smaller or even possibly rectangular...maybe a purple banner with the faded viking wording and using your gamerpic as the Viking logo. Also, the picture looks stretched...like it was resized and lost some of its resolution. Keep it up though, its a great start...I'm embarassed to show you my first one's...boy did they suck.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Wow...I just saw your Bumblebee one. Awesome! Did you make that background yourself? Works pefectly.[/quote]

I wish. It was on the Pepsi Transformers site I think...I took pieces of a backround and shaped it the way it is. Thanks.

1470.png

I vote meh to any "Gamercard" site that cannot offer the option to display each individual game's gamerscore above it.

~HotShotX

Thats really nice actually. I can't seem to find any good pictures to make a respectable one. If anybody has a good pic for the Vikings that would work, let me know. Otherwise, I think I'm going to go back to MGC.

The new features seem pretty cool, but man the site is running slow as snails for me.

EDIT: Finally picked up speed and its working great!

The last games played tiles seem to be pretty low res though...

bread's done
Back